• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Threi

notag
Relix said:
71gz9s.jpg
im sure most of those posts have been me bitching about learning my stick or playing people with stupid gimmicks on XBL, but otherwise yeah this thread is pretty much home on GAF :lol

Ledsen

Lyte Edge said:
Looking for some vs. Gief tips for Cammy and Chun-Li. Keep getting my assed kicked by Zangief players as of late!

Chun:

Use your long-range pokes, and use them well. hk and hp are amazing in range and speed, and often get him while he's trying to jump or walk forward. cr.hk is great as well when he's at about max range. Also throw kikoukens at long range. If you get to predictable with your pokes he'll do psychic green hand and own you though, so mix it up with jump up straight hk or simply doing nothing. Remember you can Ultra punish Lariat (after a spin or two) and blocked EX green hand. This match is not that hard for Chun unless he gets in close, which he won't if you poke well. He has to guess right, you just have to mix it up to make sure he doesn't.

Lyte Edge said:
Looking for some vs. Gief tips for Cammy and Chun-Li. Keep getting my assed kicked by Zangief players as of late!

Here's an ok vid

2dTony(CA) vs. Vegita-X(ZA)

Match is kinda sloppy but you get an idea. I'd add to make sure you anti-air zangief every single time he jumps in, tony didn't really do that the first match.

On the ground he used her normals great though, lots of st. mk and rh to keep him locked from moving forward.

Dascu

Threi said:
im sure most of those posts have been me bitching about learning my stick or playing people with stupid gimmicks on XBL, but otherwise yeah this thread is pretty much home on GAF :lol
That, and whining about how piss-poor
your
Bison is. ;-)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Merry Christmas SF GAF.

And yeah, I've been more involved in this thread than any other thread in my 5 or so years on this fine forum.

May the SSF4 thread kick even more ass.

Yo, I finally got my PC back up (for the time being). I was grinding in G3 for a few hours. Gah. I hope SSFIV has a different system for "leveling" like maybe the system in VF. The more wins you have the higher the belt.

My Saikyo is in need of a little spice. I wish Dan had a Hado burst, an overhead kick and a roll like Sean. It feels like such an uphill battle. But I guess that's the price of being in this Saikyo.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
We'll be streaming tonight from Keystone II, believe it or not. :lol

Tekken 6 and Street Fighter 4 - special guests Marn and Seb from FADC.

Should start around 9pm PST, maybe earlier. Ill post the link when we are live.

Spiderjericho said:
Yo, I finally got my PC back up (for the time being). I was grinding in G3 for a few hours. Gah. I hope SSFIV has a different system for "leveling" like maybe the system in VF. The more wins you have the higher the belt.

My Saikyo is in need of a little spice. I wish Dan had a Hado burst, an overhead kick and a roll like Sean. It feels like such an uphill battle. But I guess that's the price of being in this Saikyo.

Y u playin dan homey!

I have no clue Finds. I keep playing with him...hoping that "it" comes to me but the only thing I keep getting are losses because of tigers, chicken-ish Ryus, etc.

I'm looking at the Prima "strategy" guide. They have Dan as the worst character. Claw is above him.

And Haunts, can you post a link for the stream in here. I've got nothing to do today, so I wouldn't mind peeping the action.

Wallach

haunts said:

Slick. Perfect thing to enjoy a fine Christmas evening with some hot chocolate. :D

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Yup, ill post a link when we're live. MAGUS1234 is coming to pick me up now.. not sure how I got suckered into streaming on xmas day but I know it will be fun. lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
As a noob who only knows one simple combo with Ryu, where do I go to learn about all the fancy stuff that include canceling? Youtube doesn't help me

haunts said:

I'll be watching.

Teetris said:
As a noob who only knows one simple combo with Ryu, where do I go to learn about all the fancy stuff that include canceling? Youtube doesn't help me

Challenge Mode, specifically the Hard Trials. Have fun...

Threi

notag
Teetris said:
1. Focus attack is MP + MK
2. Dash is double tap forward/double tap back
3. Focus right after (like a split second) you do a move to cancel it into a focus attack
4. Dash right after (like a split second) you do step 3 to cancel your focus cancel with a dash
5. Do Ryu's ultra
6. ???
7. Profit

*edit* this thread is almost at 1000 pages :O (fuck 100 posts per page)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Teetris said:

You don't need to do any combos with Ryu or even be able to ultra. All of that is irrelevant. Just fucking jump kick these assholes for the win.

Oh great, PC strett fiyter 4 isn't working anymore.

Read the various character forums and guides on places like shoryuken.com, iplaywinner.com, etc. etc.

Also, keep in mind that there are two ways to "Combo," so to speak. There are cancels, where you're "canceling" the recovery frames of a move to start another move (there are three parts to a move, the start up, the active frames where the move is actually hitting someone, and the recovery frames where you're "ending" the move") and there are links, where you do a move that, when it hits, leaves the opponent in hit stun long enough that you can wait for the move you hit with to finish recovering and do another move immediately after the previous move has completely recovered and they will combo.

I mention this because the only way to "cancel" into a special move after a string of normal moves in SF4 (like crouching light punch x2 into whatever special move) is if you *link* the very last normal move.

This is completely undocumented but it's fundamental to know or else you'll be wondering why you can't do the more advanced combos because your moves don't come out. I know several people have been caught up on this before in this thread as there's no real way to find out in-game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Timedog said:
You don't need to do any combos with Ryu or even be able to ultra. All of that is irrelevant. Just fucking jump kick these assholes for the win.
Yeah I know. I got like 1000 points in 3 days :lol

black_vegeta said:
Challenge Mode, specifically the Hard Trials. Have fun...
I can't go past the second hard trial. After the focus attack I'm always too late with the solar plexus punch, which is why I need to get the buttons down. YT videos only show the screen

Threi said:
1. Focus attack is MP + MK
2. Dash is double tap forward/double tap back
3. Focus right after (like a split second) you do a move to cancel it into a focus attack
4. Dash right after (like a split second) you do step 3 to cancel your focus cancel with a dash
5. Do Ryu's ultra
6. ???
7. Profit

*edit* this thread is almost at 1000 pages :O (fuck 100 posts per page)
Thanks. When I try to cancel I either am too late (should be done within the time the yellow flash is still in the health bar no?) or end up dashing twice forward. I'll practice some more, thinking of getting a stick but need to at least pull it off on DS3 first.

Teknopathetic said:
and there are links, where you do a move that, when it hits, leaves the opponent in hit stun long enough that you can wait for the move you hit with to finish recovering and do another move immediately after the previous move has completely recovered and they will combo.

I mention this because the only way to "cancel" into a special move after a string of normal moves in SF4 (like crouching light punch x2 into whatever special move) is if you *link* the very last normal move.
Sounds crazy! I'll try it all out. Thanks for the websites, that's what I was looking for

ReiGun

Timedog said:
And shoryuken. Dont forget the shoryuken. And Hurricane kicks from across scene.

Edit: Hey we're on page 500. Well, if you're surfing Gaf correctly, that is.

Teetris said:
Yeah I know. I got like 1000 points in 3 days :lol

I can't go past the second hard trial. After the focus attack I'm always too late with the solar plexus punch, which is why I need to get the buttons down. YT videos only show the screen

Thanks. When I try to cancel I either am too late (should be done within the time the yellow flash is still in the health bar no?) or end up dashing twice forward. I'll practice some more, thinking of getting a stick but need to at least pull it off on DS3 first.

Here's an assignment for you : Link a shoryuken after ryu's crouching light punch. Meaning, do a crouching light punch, then a shoryuken after the crouching light punch is finished. It's easier to do if you buffer (that is, input the motions for the shoryuken) while the light punch is going on.

This is one of Ryu's single most important combos, and segways into his cr. short, cr. lp, srk hit confirm combo.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
FindMyFarms said:
Here's an assignment for you : Link a shoryuken after ryu's crouching light punch. Meaning, do a crouching light punch, then a shoryuken after the crouching light punch is finished. It's easier to do if you buffer (that is, input the motions for the shoryuken) while the light punch is going on.

This is one of Ryu's single most important combos, and segways into his cr. short, cr. lp, srk hit confirm combo.
I don't get the second sentence (cr?) but I just got the first one down. So I should use it as my first move going into a combo from now on?

Teetris said:
I don't get the second sentence (cr?) but I just got the first one down. So I should use it as my first move going into a combo from now on?

cr = crouching.

Ryu's two most used "hit confirm" combos are

cr. lp, cr. lp, SRK

cr. lk, cr. lp, SRK

The combo I gave you is the latter 2/3's of both those combos, so once you're comfortable doing it, then you can put the whole thing together.

edit -

This guy has a great tutorial on hit confirms :

http://www.youtube.com/user/ewhsdavism#p/u/5/t0j2em8euzM

I'd also recommend his Ryu tutorial videos, as they're some of the best around and give you a great visual aid.

2nd edit -

His Ryu tutorial 4, which covers spacing and zoning is also essential!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ewhsdavism#p/u/4/yBUe7HkRkNM

Cowie

Teetris said:

First, practice just canceling a shoryuken into a focus attack. Throw out your shoryu, and around the time your fist hits their face (chest, whatever) hold mp and mk together to do a focus attack. You'll glow yellow, eat up two of your super meter bars, and start doing a focus attack. You can practice this a bit to help you find the timing, but note that you won't ever connect with the focus in this case.

Once you're comfortably canceling shoryus into focus attacks, start working on dashing out of the focus attack. If you can't get the dash out before the attack the releases, you can hold mp and mk to charge your focus, and then dash. You release mp and mk after you input the dash command.. eventually it becomes so fast you can't tell the difference, though. You can also practice dashing out of focus attacks with regular focuses, if you want to get that timing better. Remember that the focus attack isn't the point of this, but rather the dash you get from it. In the end, you're going to combine it all, shoryuken, focus attack, dash.

The focus attack and dash will basically become one move for you by the time you're done, but I find it helps to break it down and understand it first.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Cowie said:
First, practice just canceling a shoryuken into a focus attack. Throw out your shoryu, and around the time your fist hits their face (chest, whatever) hold mp and mk together to do a focus attack. You'll glow yellow, eat up two of your super meter bars, and start doing a focus attack. You can practice this a bit to help you find the timing, but note that you won't ever connect with the focus in this case.

Once you're comfortably canceling shoryus into focus attacks, start working on dashing out of the focus attack. If you can't get the dash out before the attack the releases, you can hold mp and mk to charge your focus, and then dash. You release mp and mk after you input the dash command.. eventually it becomes so fast you can't tell the difference, though. You can also practice dashing out of focus attacks with regular focuses, if you want to get that timing better. Remember that the focus attack isn't the point of this, but rather the dash you get from it. In the end, you're going to combine it all, shoryuken, focus attack, dash.

The focus attack and dash will basically become one move for you by the time you're done, but I find it helps to break it down and understand it first.
Oh shit, I actually got this down. Easy enough, can do it pretty much on first try now. Can I follow this with a small shoryuken and then the fire one? Still too many button in such a short time but I'll get it soon enough (edit, guess not. the second shoryuken seems to hit just behind the character)

Kadey said:
I can do Ryu's stuff with two hands tied behind my back and blind folded. What do you need help with? :D
Ah yeah, that's what I noticed too. He seems to be a n00b character. I saw him maybe once or twice online. Is he looked down upon or something?

FindMyFarms, that's still too much to handle but I'll get there :) That's just the YT videos I needed though. Thanks for pointing it out

Wallach

Teetris said:
Oh shit, I actually got this down. Easy enough, can do it pretty much on first try now. Can I follow this with a small shoryuken and then the fire one? Still too many button in such a short time but I'll get it soon enough

Ah yeah, that's what I noticed too. He seems to be a n00b character. I saw him maybe once or twice online. Is he looked down upon or something?

Not really looked down upon as a character (he's easily one of the best in the game), just that online has an enormous glut of "shotos" (Ken/Ryu/Akuma) with a nice big side helping of Sagat. It's frustrating since a lot of these people play the same way (i.e. "flowchart") and some days it feels like that's all you encounter.

As a character though Ryu is a monster in SF4. I hate the idea that we will still see trade -> Ultra from characters like him or Sagat in SSF4...

Cowie

Teetris said:
Oh shit, I actually got this down. Easy enough, can do it pretty much on first try now. Can I follow this with a small shoryuken and then the fire one? Still too many button in such a short time but I'll get it soon enough

I'm pretty sure you can follow it up with either an ex shoryuken, or an ex fireball, but that's pretty much a waste of your meter and doesn't do notable damage. It's just gonna take some practice getting that ultra motion out quick enough.

If it's not in your repertoire already, anti-air jab shoryuken into ultra (or ex fireball) is pretty handy. To practice it, You can go into training mode, set your opponent to jump (or record him jumping toward you) and practice intercepting it with a jab shoryuken. This knocks them up in the air, and gives you enough time to get the ultra out. You can practice it with an EX fireball at first (and that's useful to add some damage if you don't have an ultra ready), but being able to get an ultra out of countering a jumpin is a pretty awesome skill to have. You've got more time to get the ultra out in this situation than you do in an FADC, so this might be a good place to start getting that motion down.

Threi

notag
Teetris said:
1. Kind of, because of his ease of play at low > mid level (strong, safe specials, not too slow, deals a ton of damage, has every tool for every situation). At high level play he seems to be as execution intensive as everyone else though.

2. That is extremely lucky.

3. A little bit, because of the "love the underdog" mentality. Not as much as Sagat though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Cowie said:
I'm pretty sure you can follow it up with either an ex shoryuken, or an ex fireball, but that's pretty much a waste of your meter and doesn't do notable damage. It's just gonna take some practice getting that ultra motion out quick enough.

If it's not in your repertoire already, anti-air jab shoryuken into ultra (or ex fireball) is pretty handy. To practice it, You can go into training mode, set your opponent to jump (or record him jumping toward you) and practice intercepting it with a jab shoryuken. This knocks them up in the air, and gives you enough time to get the ultra out. You can practice it with an EX fireball at first (and that's useful to add some damage if you don't have an ultra ready), but being able to get an ultra out of countering a jumpin is a pretty awesome skill to have. You've got more time to get the ultra out in this situation than you do in an FADC, so this might be a good place to start getting that motion down.
This is where you hit the enemy when he's falling down so he can't block the ultra right? Yeah, I've been using that mostly. Still miss every now and then but I got that too.

FindMyFarms said:
What's "it"?

The DARK Saikyo...

FATHER FORGIVE ME!!

Despite him being lame tier, I'm trying to make him a competitive character. But I know in my hearts it can never be. He's just a joke. It was funny the first time (Alpha), but I have no clue how it became okay to throw a character slot away for ish and giggles.

Now this guy who wants to use Roo, he's onto something. No real weakness. Defense and offense and the mighty FADC ultra, which only the BOSS characters have. You're not a boss unless you can FADC ultra (Sagat, Ryu, Cammy, Rufus...alright Boxer, Gouken, Zangief, Viper...are the exceptions).

Spiderjericho said:
The DARK Saikyo...

FATHER FORGIVE ME!!

Despite him being lame tier, I'm trying to make him a competitive character. But I know in my hearts it can never be. He's just a joke. It was funny the first time (Alpha), but I have no clue how it became okay to throw a character slot away for ish and giggles.

Now this guy who wants to use Roo, he's onto something. No real weakness. Defense and offense and the mighty FADC ultra, which only the BOSS characters have. You're not a boss unless you can FADC ultra (Sagat, Ryu, Cammy, Rufus...alright Boxer, Gouken, Zangief, Viper...are the exceptions).

Well, >>this<< is actually what came to mind first when I saw "it" haha.

And yeah, I don't think he'll ever be competitive :( You only see guys like sanford play him when they're going up against guys they're 10000x better than.

Kadey said:
My Merry Christmas to everyone in this thread. Past, present and future.

A little ghetto video I've made. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yvJzHTn728&fmt=22

Now we have to start thinking about making the official SSFIV thread. I'll help if anyone needs it.

I always wanna pop tabs whenever I see your vids :lol :lol

Top Bottom