• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
With some exceptions, you can choose to either be super aggressive and plug enemies with bullets or sneak by them. There's also your choice of which weapons to upgrade, or use or how to take out enemies should you choose to use force. These things are not linear. The story itself takes a linear path from start to finish, but how you play out the scenes is up to you. One scene in particular comes to mind. There are spotlights and if you stay in the dark there's no major confrontation. On the flip side, if you are spotted, or make a lot of noise; a big confrontation takes place with almost endless enemies coming at you.

Yes even the level design with some large areas. I said it before I don't have a problem with linear games but The Order is just too linear, everything done on the first run.

Toxi

Banned
Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.
I'm sorry, can we cut this schtick out?

I understand RAD put a lot of time and work into this game, but that applies to most games. People make fun of games they don't like. It's not meant to be insulting to the developers, it's just how a lot of people express their criticism. As long as only the game is being mocked and not the people behind it, I don't see a problem.

Dynomutt

If you are buying short, QTE infested games that are 25% cutscenes to impress upon your friends how awesome the PS4 is, you are part of the problem, in more ways than one.

Serious question? So say I buy the game and I personally like the game. In discussion a friend asks me why and I reply it has great graphics feels like I'm playing a movie. Is that bad? Am I part of a problem? I liked Destiny, Sleeping Dogs, and Infamous Second Son. All games that many people say weren't long or considered shallow but I'm loving d them.

The devs didn't lie to me or spoon feed me. I knew what the game was about from the previews.

I never took a social stance on a gaming before, If I liked it I played it but this is interesting. Is their a moral/social standard for games? Then again I think Asura's Wrath is one of the most underrated games ever.

meanspartan

Jesus, SonyGAF is having a full on meltdown.

Game sucks, get over it. Stop hyping the shit out of games.

Im bummed for RAD, but not in "meltdown" I'd say lol. I'll still give this game a go at $30 for the spectacle.

And like I said before, if the game does tank, Sony should buy RAD. They can get a studio capable of good games (Daxter, GoW series on PSP) for pennies on the dollar. And I bet RAD would be hell bent on redeeming themselves too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought it and I'll get to play it Sunday. That's about as much of a meltdown I could have over it.

All this grief makes me want to watch Underworld or something till then. You have to switch off some things and make.dot.believe.

Wow some of the journalists are acting like total children. Not going to disagree with their opinions, but at least act professional guys and gals.
I don't understand this point of view. This is an entertainment industry about fun and enjoyment. Being professional doesn't mean you always have to be the most buttoned up how dare I make a joke person about the products you cover. 50 Shades of Grey had all sorts of jokes made about it for months but I don't see a lot of "Oh that poor director" sentiment. These people write about games and criticize them for a living; it is their profession. That doesn't translate into "being professional means never making a joke" as some seem to think.

Kssio_Aug

People talk about RAD like they're kids, victims of bullying. Thats ridiculous! They're a grown up team, they have failed in delivering the experience most people want but that was their choice! How many times I've heard here criticism about the game such as that Eurogamer's stuff? They were aware of that for quite a long time.

I understand that maybe they had no time to change the core desing choices anymore. But they need to live with what they have chosen, and they will, and make some changes in their next project.

And honestly, much of that was completely their fault. I don't tink it is hard to create a unloackble "very hard" mode and a trophy for it for the sake of replay value and trophy hunters. They could, and they should, have created a bunch of elements to incentive the replay since it is a 10 hours avarage (or even less) SP only game, that's what most SP only games do, and thats what people expect nowadays from this kind of games.

So yeah, I'm sure they're having a hard time now (and that's not cynicism), but they're not that victim some people are trying to paint either. If people doesnt liked the game, they don't have to lie and say it is a good game to help them sell it to millions of uninformed consumers, just for pitty of them.

Also, I'm sure this game still won't sell that bad. There was lots of marketing involing it, and the presentation will sell the game by itself.

Kowalski

Banned
Serious question? So say I buy the game and I personally like the game. In discussion a friend asks me why and I reply it has great graphics feels like I'm playing a movie. Is that bad? Am I part of a problem? I liked Destiny, Sleeping Dogs, and Infamous Second Son. All games that many people say weren't long or considered shallow but I'm loving d them.

The devs didn't lie to me or spoon feed me. I knew what the game was about from the previews.

I never took a social stance on a gaming before, If I liked it I played it but this is interesting. Is their a moral/social standard for games? Then again I think Asura's Wrath is one of the most underrated games ever.

All that matter is this..... did you enjoy the hell out of the game? If yes, then that's all you have to care about. Screw everyone else's opinions.

JNA

Banned
Yep. I predicted around a 65-70 Metacritic score and it seems to be the case here.

I'm really glad I cancelled my pre order. This game had bad written all over it with how short it is and how the developers felt the need to constantly defend the game.

The game as expected, didn't back up the talk. Money saved! :)

Stimpack

I understand RAD put a lot of time and work into this game, but that applies to most games. People make fun of games they don't like. It's not meant to be insulting to the developers, it's just how a lot of people express their criticism. As long as only the game is being mocked and not the people behind it, I don't see a problem.

participation-trophies.jpg

LoneWolf780

Neo Member
I'm not suprised by the review scores, you could tell this was coming and some of their points are valid. What I am suprised about is how the media didn't just review it, but are personally attacking it any chance they get and are basically celebrating together. I think it's discusting personally.

It's just a light-hearted joke which countless other games are subjected to as well. Some people appear to be overly sensitive regarding the order.

If they think this is bad I can only imagine how they'd handle a lot of movie reviewers who will outright shit on a movie in every way they can if they dislike it enough.

This idea that you need to respect people who made a product you dislike is what leads to shitty reviews, not the other way around.

Also tbh I think this game deserves the hate it gets. I think more than a few people are getting frustrated by this type of game being the genre that so much money gets poured into. Like all I can think is "wow, imagine this much work being put into ACTUAL GAMEPLAY". I feel like they didn't even have a talk about the actual design of the game and just went "yeah yeah regen health cover based stuff whatever".

Here is my short "review", I'll copy myself from the OT.

Just beat the game, took me about 7 hours and I took my time looking around. Played on hard with aim assist off. I can see why the reviewers gave it those scores, you really have to like games that very heavy on cutscenes. I would say the game is a mix of the last of us and heavy rain with a pinch of RE4.

I did enjoy the game and will platinum it but it's not a game for everyone. If I had to give it a score it would be a 7. I was thinking 8 but that ending...

Anyway, as I said I can understand where the reviewers are coming from but I don't think it was that bad.
I have to bounce but, would you say that the game felt "skill-dependent" in terms of perhaps cutting down your time (aside the cutscenes)?

That is to say, do you feel the game was mostly a cakewalk in that time, or do you feel it was challenging enough and offered glimpses of potential strategies/routes etc. to convince you if you tried playing it again carrying over general skills from the first playthrough, that your completion time could be shaved greatly?

I'm not suprised by the review scores, you could tell this was coming and some of their points are valid. What I am suprised about is how the media didn't just review it, but are personally attacking it any chance they get and are basically celebrating together. I think it's discusting personally.
QTEs have that effect on people.

Spoo

I'm glad I have followed the salient portions of this and other threads like it. I'm still getting the game, but my expectations have been oriented appropriately for it. Hoping in the future RAD can take it where it should go, but knowing that this first entry will be a weaker one.

Honestly guys, you can still like a game and recognize its faults :) Try not to get too excited about what reviewers have to say -- they're trying to save you money. If you're buying the game nomatter what, their opinion really doesn't matter to you.

Can't we all just get along boys :O

hohoXD123

nrCwVCs.png

Ha. Dude seems funny.

Justin McElroy @JustinMcElroy · 6m 6 minutes ago
Lot of you saying I don’t have to apologize, and I appreciate it, but there’s a difference between what I CAN do and what I feel good about.

Justin McElroy @JustinMcElroy · 15m 15 minutes ago
People work really hard on every game and there’s really no call for me to pile on unnecessary cruelty. My apologies.

Sotha_Sil

Bioshock was a massive seller, everybody give it 10s, and still is single player without MP, and very little replay value.

Dishonored is another great SP-only game that did well. But Arkane focused on gameplay, art direction, and branching elements (dialog options, optional quests, different ways to complete goals, etc).

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Scores seem about what I expected from what little I know about the game. Graphics are amazing though.

Jesus, SonyGAF is having a full on meltdown.

Game sucks, get over it. Stop hyping the shit out of games.

You do realize this is not a Sony only phenomenon right? I mean look at Ryse.

i-Lo

Someone here said that if we buy the game we're part of the problem. My preorder is en route and am wondering if I should feel guilty about playing it or return it to the store and get a refund.....

BokehKing

Banned

there is making fun of games, and then there is what game journalist are doing today....

as if RAD intentionally made the game this way, to steal your money...

They made what they wanted to make, they want the filmic route, some people may like it
The way this thread is going, you would think this game has been out for a week already.

I want to say a good 95% of the people talking about this game in this thread (Good or bad) have not even played the game yet
just watched some compressed video on youtube

Stimpack

I'm glad I have followed the salient portions of this and other threads like it. I'm still getting the game, but my expectations have been oriented appropriately for it. Hoping in the future RAD can take it where it should go, but knowing that this first entry will be a weaker one.

Honestly guys, you can still like a game and recognize its faults :) Try not to get too excited about what reviewers have to say -- they're trying to save you money. If you're buying the game nomatter what, their opinion really doesn't matter to you.

Can't we all just get along boys :O

From everything I've seen, it seems like RAD is fully capable of making a well-polished and fun experience. It's a damn shame that this one didn't turn out well, but I'm hoping that if they get another shot they'll realize the mistakes that they've made and correct them. The game looks competent enough, and it has a lot going for it, despite its rather egregious flaws. I'd like to see a second attempt.

Smash88

Banned
Gross and unprofessional:

xjDX20Gl.jpg

Journalists are taking the piss now at this stage. Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.

What's with people and no critique, and jokes of any kind allowed because it might hurt your feelings or the feelings of the devs which you have no association with. People truly are trying to turn modern society into one that is to be devoid of criticism otherwise you are a terrible person. Get over yourself.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think I'm going to buy the game solely to support the developers after that mean Twitter fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom