• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

I feel like the word "ambition" has lost the meaning I associate it with and instead been used as a sort of implicit proxy for "a game which cost tons of money to make."

We now associate the word "ambitious" with games that have an open design, high end graphics, and an "immersive world" -- it's like a check box of "things which cost tons of money to produce."

I'm not saying it's impossible for such games to be "ambitious," but I very much think it's possible for a game which costs 1,000 dollars to make to be ambitious, too. I seem to have a different operational definition for the word than others do.

Ambitious to me is something that hasn't been done before because the general consensus is that it would be "too hard" to develop. I feel like probably since 2008, publishers have been playing it safe, sticking with what's proven, ambition is so lacking that we have to apply the term to any game that seems even a bit different just so we can actually have a use for the word.

I'm not saying there haven't been some amazing games in the last few years, but anything "ambitious" or "revolutionary" during development usually ends up not by release. There are only 3 games that I think may deserve the title of ambitious right now and those are Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, and Star Citizen, and since none of those have been released yet, I can't be sure (although Witcher 3 is probably a pretty safe bet I think).

Portugeezer

I might not have the details right, but is it not true that the developers created a new engine for the most part, for Advance Warfare?

I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. The new COD looks ridiculously better than Ghost's did. The older CoD games ran well, but with each installment, there was barely any progression in visual fidelity - especially compared to other video game series with multiple installments.

Ok I looked it up and they say it's pretty much a new engine (although it's a heavily modified engine). I only played the MP and graphically it looks about the same level as Ghosts.

BiggNife

You know, it's funny. Now I understand what Mourinho was saying when he said there was a campaign against Chelsea a few weeks ago.

Because there certainly has been a campaign against the order over the last 12 months or so.

I'm looking at it all and I'm actually trying to work out why. What has the game done to people? What did the devs say that sparked all of this off? I get why there is a campaign against Chelsea, the club is rotten (players and manager included) from the ground up. But this is a video game, why the toxicity?

What a strange industry this is at the moment.
Christ really

Its not a conspiracy. People just don't like the game because it's shallow and overproduced. Don't get so invested in something so ridiculous and pointless.

danm999

The scores are arbitrary, part of my point, but regardless; the reviews themselves slam the game for design features that are ubiquitous in many praised games: scripted sequences, QTE, forced walking sections, whack-a-mole gameplay (Uncharted, Gears, COD, TLOU). Take the quotes from IGN and place them against any highly regarded game.

Because those other games have other redeeming features (not to mention, some of those franchises you're mentioning are almost a decade old). Apparently, many reviewers feel apart from the visuals, the Order does not have redeeming features. A game is a sum of its parts.

Pointing out a game that was received as mediocre and a well received game share a flaw or two in common, and then griping about the difference in review score without looking at the other differences between the two games is a very disingenuous argument.

Gsnap

Hmmmm... I'll be renting this as soon as I can to actually see how it plays out, but... it seems like people are surprised or upset that this game got average reviews?

I mean, the game has been putting out an average vibe since the beginning. People should have been prepared for this. The developers have been pretty dismissive of the gameplay from the interviews I've seen. It's not surprising.

And this isn't a knock against linear, story-driven third person shooters. Uncharted 4 is the same thing and it actually looks really good. Decidedly above average. But they've actually commented on what they're trying to do with the gameplay and seem genuinely excited to expand on the sandbox nature of the individual arenas.

I don't know, I just feel like we've seen enough games to be able to sniff out the average from the rest, so why be surprised or upset when something like this happens?

The order is art though and the price of admission into the gallery is simply $60. I couldn't fathom actively telling others not to experience a work of art themselves and form their own opinions but instead listen to my opinion on it so they can save $60. I would be a criminal roving someone of culture, education and enlightenment... its literally colonialism of the mind.

hahahaha....

HahahHAHAH!

I'm thankful for The Order because of posts like this. comparing colonialism and all it entails (slavery, pillaging of physical and cultural artifacts, etc) and reviews of games a person actively has to seek out to even know about. this game never stops giving.

GHG

Gold Member
Don't do this.
Was there a campaign against Ryse as well?

I actually believe there was if you look back at it. I even shamefully participated at some points (relating to the microtransactions they intended to put into the game and their rationale behind it).

Then I actually played the game a few months ago and I actually enjoyed it. Turns out I disagree with many of the reviews.

What does that say?

Xyrmellon

Holy sweet Jesus, this thread. It has nothing to do with reviews unless you read the first page. And if my twitter feed is any indication, you looneys are the laughing stock of the industry, if not the entire internet right now.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The most recent Far Cry and AC games I have played are Far Cry 3 and Black Flag. Both gave me tons of hours of gameplay that was both fun and innovative in some ways. For example, ship battles were extremely fun in Black Flag, and Far Cry 3 gave me tons of ways and tools to complete a mission. On top of that, both games have arguably good stories. I just find it funny that it seems like you are criticizing the gameplay area of these games without giving much thought.

Agree to disagree, but I've given a lot of thought to it. Black Flag was a really bad game in my opinion. The mechanics are awful, the story was not good at all (even by Assassin's Creed standards), and the ship battles were a repetitive distraction if anything.

I don't think this should be the point at all. The review should simply be to inform the buyer about features and functions of the product along with a light assessment of how well they work. The decision on whether that is worth buying should remain with the consumer. We need clinical observation and explanation not subjective evaluation. If you read good reviews of software or phones this is what you will find. Currently game reviews are predominantly subjective analysis which is completely worthless because the reviewer might not share your tastes, simple as that. If game reviews contained sufficient clinical explanation of what the product actually was then people would be far better informed to make a buy/no buy decision.

We need reviews to inform us adequately to make a buying decision not make a buying decision for us. Prime example is this Eurogamer review, as pompous and verbose a review as you could ever hope to find. From this we get that Eurogamer didn't like it but does it actually tell us much about the game itself and how it works?

That is a terrible guideline for writing reviews. If you want a checklist of what the game does and doesn't offer then look no further than gamefaqs user reviews. Not incidentally, they're extraordinarily boring to read through.

There's a reason that professional critics of every entertainment medium don't do this. Now you can argue that video games don't deserve the same critical treatment as film, music, or television, but frankly I applaud Eurogamer for being the only (save Gameological/AV Club) online publication that hires competent writers.

Dawg

Looking at the OP, I noticed it still has the wrong conclusion for my review. This is the right one :'(

If you're not interested in a cinematic third-person shooter, then this game is probably not for you. With an average playing time of eight to ten hours, this is a game that only fans of the cinematic approach will appreciate. The story is a double edged sword. The way they tell it is impressive, but the story itself has a lot of inconsistencies and is only really good as a foundation for a potential sequel. The gameplay is standard third-person shooter stuff with a noticeable lack of challenge and a few minor faults like a disappointing melee system and a few animations (such as rolling) you can only use when the game wants you to. In terms of presentation, is is a clear winner. Far above all other games. It is an aspect that rightly deserves praise and hopefully it will encourage other developers to reach a similar level of detail. It makes the future of this generation look promising. As a whole, The Order 1886 is definitely worth playing and it turns out to be a nice introduction to a franchise we hope will have a bright future ahead of it. However, this game is not without its faults and we simple cannot deny the fact this game has less content than similar IPs in the genre. It is obvious this game has paid a heavy price to reach the immensely high production values. It is up to the player to decide whether it was worth it.

I don't think this should be the point at all. The review should simply be to inform the buyer about features and functions of the product along with a light assessment of how well they work. The decision on whether that is worth buying should remain with the consumer. We need clinical observation and explanation not subjective evaluation. If you read good reviews of software or phones this is what you will find. Currently game reviews are predominantly subjective analysis which is completely worthless because the reviewer might not share your tastes, simple as that. If game reviews contained sufficient clinical explanation of what the product actually was then people would be far better informed to make a buy/no buy decision.

We need reviews to inform us adequately to make a buying decision not make a buying decision for us. Prime example is this Eurogamer review, as pompous and verbose a review as you could ever hope to find. From this we get that Eurogamer didn't like it but does it actually tell us much about the game itself and how it works?

Games are art. It is impossible to be objective about a game's quality for this very reason.

I've read the Eurogamer review. They describe the story as trite and underdeveloped, the shooting sections as bland and barely adequate, and the QTEs/handholding as frustrating and immersion-breaking. Were you expecting a treatise on the mechanics of a third person cover shooter, a genre which has been popular for over for a decade, for a game that does nothing new in that regard?

Eurogamer has an objective review of the technical components of The Order, in their Digital Foundry section.

Edit: I really hope no one is taking hipbabboom seriously.

DINOSAURS

Neo Member
It's not being criticized for having those things, it's being criticized for excessive use and poor implementation of those things.

That could be a valid distinction, but all the games I mentioned were problematic in at least one of those areas; especially the whack-a-mole nature of cover based shooting; and all had extensive periods of inactivity while I waited for scripted sequences to play out.

It just seems to me that this game is being targeted for flaws shared across all major releases.

Phreak47

Man, just a few weeks ago, we were looking at those beautiful screenshots and I commented that I hoped those would be more than pretty backdrops for a linear ride. Now I am disappoint. Now I am waiting for it to be at Redbox.

On the hopeful side, since it's no longer a secret they set this up to have at least one sequel, let's hope they can pull something remotely close to an Uncharted 1 > Uncharted 2 type of improvement.

GHG

Gold Member
Christ really

Its not a conspiracy. People just don't like the game because it's shallow and overproduced. Don't get so invested in something so ridiculous and pointless.

There is a difference between not liking something and stating that opinion, and lobbying against something while telling other people not to buy it.

JDSN

Banned
I have a dream that my four little steaks will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the size of their cut, but by the quality of it.

MegalonJJ

Banned
guys, the ISIS thing happened. It happened 20 pages ago. Let it die in peace. We don't need to try and top it with slavery.

Oh i don't mean reviewers, I'm talking about the constant attitude of 'well it's cinematic what did you expect!' and/or 'well if you think this sucks I hope you are all happy with more open world games!' here.

I just wanted to see the critical reception of The Order 1886 for consideration for my future PS4 purchase.

Why is there talk of ISIS, slavery, exclusive comparisons....what's going on? Some marbles are being lost me thinks.

Scrulox

Neo Member
Agree to disagree, but I've given a lot of thought to it. Black Flag was a really bad game in my opinion. The mechanics are awful, the story was not good at all (even by Assassin's Creed standards), and the ship battles were a repetitive distraction if anything.

I guess we simply are into different kinds of games. I honestly had a crap load of fun with those ship battles, and thought they were kinda innovative cause I never played anything similar to that before. May I ask that you give me some examples of games that you think are well-done?

Holy sweet Jesus, this thread. It has nothing to do with reviews unless you read the first page. And if my twitter feed is any indication, you looneys are the laughing stock of the industry, if not the entire internet right now.

That's okay, some facets of this industry as well as the internet was already a laughing stock long before this thread. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That could be a valid distinction, but all the games I mentioned were problematic in at least one of those areas; especially the whack-a-mole nature of cover based shooting; and all had extensive periods of inactivity while I waited for scripted sequences to play out.

It just seems to me that this game is being targeted for flaws shared across all major releases.

CoD isn't a good comparison as it's a series built on its MP now. The value offered in that is what most people want, not the campaign.

Christ really

"Shallow and overproduced". Have you played it? I'm assuming you haven't.

Not saying you're wrong, but that kindof judgement has been spreading since before anyone played the game, because all we had was a video that showed they were employing 'QTE'.

Personally, I think that's the explanation. 'QTE' is a dirty word on gaming sites, and hate follows.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I don't think reviewers made this binary at all, most compared The Order to obvious contemporaries that are not open world at all - Gears of War trilogy, RE4/5/6, Uncharted, TLOU - and found it lacking in weapon variety, encounter variety, enemy variety, movement freedom, puzzles, set pieces, replay value, boss encounters, AI, and multiplayer options. It's most direct sibling in the "cinematic shooter" genre, Max Payne 3, allegedly beats it handily in those regards as well.

It has kind of been the story of this gen, falling short of most of the masterpieces of last gen in everything except for graphics.

I think its in the framework of past games that people find the order lacking. I guess i just see it differently because as simply taken for its visual excellence, its simply amazing. Its weird many reviewers keep saying you have to be rich to appreciate and evaluate the product at this level. I think the developers set out to make something that pulled most of its weight with its visually stunning cinematic and have always been upfront about it.

Its understandable that bit may not have been the game many wanted but its certainly the product I expected.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I guess we simply are into different kinds of games. I honestly had a crap load of fun with those ship battles, and thought they were kinda innovative cause I never played anything similar to that before. May I ask that you give me some examples of games that you think are well-done?

I'm not a huge open world fan, but of games in that space I really liked Red Dead Redemption, GTAV, and InFamous SS.

Assassin's Creed just hasn't clicked with me. I found AC2 somewhat enjoyable, but the series has been downhill since. It's an extremely clunky series.

QaaQer

Ambitious to me is something that hasn't been done before because the general consensus is that it would be "too hard" to develop. I feel like probably since 2008, publishers have been playing it safe, sticking with what's proven, ambition is so lacking that we have to apply the term to any game that seems even a bit different just so we can actually have a use for the word.

I'm not saying there haven't been some amazing games in the last few years, but anything "ambitious" or "revolutionary" during development usually ends up not by release. There are only 3 games that I think may deserve the title of ambitious right now and those are Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, and Star Citizen, and since none of those have been released yet, I can't be sure (although Witcher 3 is probably a pretty safe bet I think).

What makes the Witcher ambitious?

DINOSAURS

Neo Member
CoD isn't a good comparison as it's a series built on its MP now. The value offered in that is what most people want, not the campaign.

That's true actually, the MP of the game is probably the more dominant aspect of the game when they consider its worth; it's basically 2 games in one.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Colonialism of the mind? Is that a new Sid Meier game?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

I take it back, this is the funniest thing I've read in a while.

If that's what you think colonialism is (in any sense), you're very, very mistaken. For someone who lives with the after effects of colonialism your very poor analogy is actually pretty offensive, the more I think about it.

So these guys are what to you? Mussolini? The British Empire? One of their reviews is Amritsar? Nanking? I don't understand the mental gymnastics required from you to think that consumer reviews, which help consumers spend their hard earned money in the best way possible is somehow (SOMEHOW) anti-consumer.

You bought a shitty game. Deal with it.

hahahaha....

HahahHAHAH!

I'm thankful for The Order because of posts like this. comparing colonialism and all it entails (slavery, pillaging of physical and cultural artifacts, etc) and reviews of games a person actively has to seek out to even know about. this game never stops giving.

I totally just realized i fell into the same trap hip hop gamer did. Let me rephrase the analogy:

Telling people to listen to you and not play the game to form their own opinions may rob them of the opportunity to discover an interesting experience. Its like the hambugler stealing your happy meal because it might make you fat but only achieves leaving you hungry (... FOR KNOWLEDGE! Oooooooh! Truth bomb!!)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm not suggesting censorship. I'm asking people to think for themselves.

I hate this line of thinking, simply because I think it implies that everyone should try the game first before formulating their opinion about it. It may seem like a legit position to take, if not for the fact that the game cost a bloody 60 bucks and not all of us are rich enough to throw away 60 dollars just for a "let me try it first" sentiment.

It is precisely because it is such an expensive cost that many are trying to gauge the quality of the game first by reading reviews by others. "Think for themselves..."..... if only people saying such things are willing to pay the game for the folks they're advocating that to.

IvorB

The problem is that a plain description with no subjective elements doesn't tell you anything worthwhile. The 'objective' description for The Order might not actually be that far away from the description for, say, Gears of War or The Last of Us. But a review system whereby you're not able to tell that Gears or TLOU are classics and archetypes of their genre whereas The Order is...whatever the Order is by comparison is, well, a stupid and pointless review system.

Really? Are you telling me that if someone described The Order to you in detail you could mistake it for The Last of Us? In any case I did actually say that it should include some light assessment of how the features work otherwise, yes, you would be correct that it is not worth much. There is a balance to be struck. But right now it swings way too far one way.

Say Jimi are Eurogamer doing a review loves collectibles more than anything. He tells you Dragon Age: Inquisition is awesome; there is just so much to see and do you can never get bored. But you actually hate collectibles more than anything. What use was Jimi's opinion then? Whereas if he had actually just conveyed to you the information that there are a lot of missions revolving around collectibles in the game and he personally liked it are you not better informed on whether to get the game or not?

The complaints some people on this forum have about subjectivity in reviews are ludicrous. Imagine if movie fans continuously whined about Siskel and Ebert's reviews being "too subjective".

Wow. Imagine that. But I don't see how that's relevant since games are not movies.

Darknight

Wow I tried to place an order on Bestbuy online and it says its sold out....this is for the pick up instore option...this game gonna sell gangbusters? WTF I have a GC I have to use asap and I cant use it!!! FARK.

Gonna miss out on preorder DLC.

Apt101

Most of what I'm reading in the reviews, which I am sure were meant as criticisms, are making me want to play this game even more. I am fine with third person shooters that play rather straight forward, are around 8 hours in length (this goes for most single-player campaigns regardless of genre actually), have good presentation, and aren't overly challenging. Furthermore, QTE's and frequent cutscenes never bothered me - in fact when done well I quite enjoy them. I've discovered that most games Jeff Gertsmann does not think highly of I like a lot, so his below-average score is encouraging.

I hate this line of thinking, simply because I think it implies that everyone should try the game first begire formulating their opinion about it. It may seem like a legit position to take, if not for the fact that the game cost a bloody 60 bucks and not all of us are rich enough to throw away 60 dollars just for a "let me try it first" sentiment.

It is precisely because it is such an expensive cost that many are trying to gauge the quality of the game first by reading reviews by others. "Think for themselves..."..... if only people saying such things are willing to pay the game for the folks they're advocating that to.

You can rent it, or borrow it from a friend. I think majority of the people who like the game are going to try it and buy it whichever way they can to form their own opinion.

The majority is only concerned with the YouTube video and journalists reviews before they even attempted to play the game for themselves to see if maybe, just maybe the game is really as bad as it seems. Which a lot of people who keep saying the same stuff, has not done.

TheFatMan

Holy cow this thread is a behemoth of craziness!

I for one am STILL looking forward to playing this game, regardless of the reviews or the 148 page NeoGAF thread haha. It's a video game guys, either you will enjoy it or you won't. How can this generate so much feedback!

danm999

I totally just realized i fell into the same trap hip hop gamer did. Let me rephrase the analogy:

Telling people to listen to you and not play the game to form their own opinions may rob them of the opportunity to discover an interesting experience. Its like the hambugler stealing your happy meal because it might make you fat but only achieves leaving you hungry (... FOR KNOWLEDGE! Oooooooh! Truth bomb!!)

Are game reviewers running up and snatching copies of the game from potential consumers hands though?

You say it should be the consumer's choice on what they do regarding the Order. What if the consumer chooses to solicit the opinion of a reviewer and base their purchasing decision off of that?

Why is that so illegitimate a decision?

Telling people to listen to you and not play the game to form their own opinions may rob them of the opportunity to discover an interesting experience.

So all reviews for consumer goods are garbage? I like how you quoted my post and didn't actually reply to it - if this is some elaborate troll joke I'm not getting it.

Scrulox

Neo Member
Games are art. It is impossible to be objective about a game's quality for this very reason.

I've read the Eurogamer review. They describe the story as trite and underdeveloped, the shooting sections as bland and barely adequate, and the QTEs/handholding as frustrating and immersion-breaking. Were you expecting a treatise on the mechanics of a third person cover shooter, a genre which has been popular for over for a decade, for a game that does nothing new in that regard?

Eurogamer has an objective review of the technical components of The Order, in their Digital Foundry section.

Edit: I really hope no one is taking hipbabboom seriously.

It's bland because there aren't much variety of enemy types(literally all of them are soldiers with typical guns), every encounter is very similar in the ways the enemies approach you, the guns are your typical rifles and pistols with a few interesting ones which you don't get to use often or in interesting ways, and the environment that offers gameplay doesn't give you any freedom at all to approach the enemies. In one sentence: it's more boring than your typical TPS. I got all that from the reviews I read about the game, and there are a lot of reviews that have the same criticisms.

I mean if I don't read these reviews, I could have bought this game expecting a lot of interesting guns and enemies that give me challenges or rooms in terms of thinking about how to approach but all I got is using typical assault rifles and pistols throughout most of the gameplay part of the game against boring soldiers firing similar guns at me. That's the sole purpose of a game review: to inform me of what's to expect from a game. Most people buy games simply to play them and have fun instead of treating them as a piece of art.

Kacho

Gold Member
Wow I tried to place an order on Bestbuy online and it says its sold out....this is for the pick up instore option...this game gonna sell gangbusters? WTF I have a GC I have to use asap and I cant use it!!! FARK.

Gonna miss out on preorder DLC.

The same thing happened to me last week with the n3DS. I think Best Buy does not allow pick up orders to be placed while the store is closed.

It's bland because there aren't much variety of enemy types(literally all of them are soldiers with typical guns), every encounter is very similar in the ways the enemies approach you, the guns are your typical rifles and pistols with a few interesting ones which you don't get to use often or in interesting ways, and the environment that offers gameplay doesn't give you any freedom at all to approach the enemies. In one sentence: it's more boring than your typical TPS. I got all that from the reviews I read about the game, and there are a lot of reviews that have the same criticisms.

I mean if I don't read these reviews, I could have bought this game expecting a lot of interesting guns and enemies that give me challenges or rooms in terms of thinking about how to approach but all I got is using typical assault rifles and pistols throughout most of the gameplay part of the game against boring soldiers firing similar guns at me. That's the sole purpose of a game review: to inform me of what's to expect from a game. Most people buy games simply to play them and have fun instead of treating them as a piece of art.

But did you play it yet? You've heard what others have said. But have you played it yet?

graywolf323

The same thing happened to me last week with the n3DS. I think Best Buy does not allow pick up orders to be placed while the store is closed.

it does, I placed a pick up order for Porco Rosso on blu-ray a little over an hour ago and the store had been closed for over an hour already (east coast)

I think the amount of absurd gang-piling on the game is unfortunate, not because I don't think the game should be criticized, but because it's getting in the way of any actual criticism. Hell, I even think the game looks like a failure at almost everything it sets out to accomplish (I haven't played it myself admittedly, but I have watched a large portion of it...which from what I gather watching is half the experience anyway), but I want to talk about why, and engage with people who do like the game.

To single out one one dismissal in particular that bugs me is "oh cinematic games aren't for you". Probably because I think this game does not look good, but I absolutely am the target demographic for the game because I LOVE cinematic action games. I think most people do, as its a popular "genre". Naughty Dog games, MGS, Resident Evil, those are my all time favorites. So people need to be willing to discuss why and why not this game's cinematic approach works for them. Why are people okay with watching cutscenes as much as playing the game? Is it because you think the story is that compelling? Do you just really like the atmosphere? Would you not rather have more interactivity and agency? Does the combat work for you? The enemy variety?

I think I'm so curious is because the game and its design decisions just confuse me. I don't know why this game was made the way it was. It's like the most literal interpretation of 'cinematic' you could have, and I'm not sure why RAD didn't at any point ask themselves if they needed unlockables for a short singleplayer game, or if they should have such limited enemy types and simple level layouts, or if they should have chapters that are just cutscenes (or chapters at all), or why for a such a story focused game it
isn't even self contained like any self respecting narrative should be
, or if they realized how many cliches the story was built on, or that the characters aren't interesting, or why cutscenes aren't skippable, or why
the lycan fights are designed in such a way that makes them so minimally imposing that it defeats their point

Okay apologies for the rant. I think this game gets a lot of criticism and attention because it has so much potential, and they just made really odd choices with how to make a game around such a beautiful engine and lovely art. I really hope there is a very in depth interview with RAD at some point because I would very much like to hear their process for these decisions. I have a sneaking suspicion a large portion of them were made on time/budget constraints rather than feeling they served to make the game better though.

Darknight

Oh ok, makes sense. Sucks since I was waiting for a gyft.com code that I bought. ($15 BB credit for $10). I got it like 20 min ago and cant place the order now :(

Thanx for the heads up. Gonna go to bed and miss out on DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom