• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

It seems that some people perceive the Order's bad reviews and scores as an attack against linear story-driven third-person shooters. Reviews seem to indicate that the Order just isn't a good linear story-driven third-person shooter.

And a lot people claiming reviews are irrelevant and that none of them did a good job of explaining why they had a problem with the game. Really if you just read them they explain pretty clearly that the gameplay is extremely straightforward and barebones, the stealth is has hilarious hard fail states where you die immediately upon getting spotted, and third half of the game in nonexistent, and it overall takes control from the player too often. I have honestly not seen a story focused game that managed to leave so many threads hanging. If they end up trying to actually conclude this game with DLC...fuck everything.

Yet I just keep seeing these posts about how no reviewer managed to articulate the game's problems.

I don't see how it's not a good linear story-driven third person shooter, from my POV.

- Great gunplay mechanics
- Fun and engaging core gameplay
- Controls well
- Story is pretty engrossing from what I've played so far (better than most in the genre, even AAA ones).

I've played far worse, that scored far better.

I agree with your first 3 points. Im still pretty early in the game but my fear is that there just is not enough of it in the entire game to justify the asking price. For me anyway. We shall see.

Alienous

If RAD gets a chance I'm hoping they find a way to make the cinematics more interactive that doesn't rely on QTE and button prompts. You're sort of in disbelief you can control certain cutscenes that look pre-rendered, but the act of interacting itself is just not very engaging. You get sick of the button prompts relatively quickly.

I thought these parts were pretty cool though.

apwhis.gif

Yes. This is how you do interactive cutscenes right. Have your QTE button reflect actions that the player can do outside of the cutscenes.

That's far better than an arbitrary, meaningless "press X" prompt that seems to only be there to give you the illusion that the game wouldn't prefer you just watch it.

I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black ba! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black barske the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! don't like the blacklike the black bars!I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! don't like the black bars! don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars I don't like the black bars!! don't like the black bars! I I DON'T CARE FOR JOB

Nice looking game, no doubt about it.

I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black ba! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black barske the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! don't like the blacklike the black bars!I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars! don't like the black bars! don't like the black bars! I don't like the black bars!I don't like the black bars I don't like the black bars!! don't like the black bars! I I DON'T CARE FOR JOB

Did we forget that Max Payne 3 had pretty good reviews? Similarly linear, similarly great graphics (for its time), similarly cinematic style.

But MP has a longer campaign, and, supposedly, more consistent pacing.

Indeed. And perhaps more importantly, MP3 had actually fun and engaging gameplay. You really hit a nerve by mentioning Max Payne as I absolutely adore the first two games in the series and I liked the third one as well. But the amount of long unskippable cutscenes almost made me give up in frustration. Linear cinematic games are fun if done well, like the first and second Max Payne.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I agree with your first 3 points. Im still pretty early in the game but my fear is that there just is not enough of it in the entire game to justify the asking price. For me anyway. We shall see.

For sure, it's not without its faults -- the game is VERY bare bones. But what it sets out to do -- being a good story driven linear TPS, it does very well in my view.

Lots of room for improvement, but I do feel critics were being unfairly harsh. Hopefully it doesn't alter the prospects for a sequel, which is my biggest worry. The core engine + mechanics they've established are extremely strong, and it'd be a waste to not see through it to its full potential.

Lingitiz

Did we forget that Max Payne 3 had pretty good reviews? Similarly linear, similarly great graphics (for its time), similarly cinematic style.

Max Payne 3's cutscenes were super intrusive but I felt like the third person shooting was some of the best in the genre. Extremely satisfying, especially using a mouse. And they did a good job of blending cinematic shooting sequences with the cutscenes (eg. sliding down rooftops in bullet time, shooting environmental objects, the last bullet time shots, etc.).

Game4life

Banned
Reading viveks post, If I were Sony I would can the IP. I am not sure RAD have the game designers with the right attitude ( in my opinion ) towards gaming. I think the money would be better served investing in From Software or their other studios going forward. This may sound harsh but clearly RAD's vision of gaming does not align with mine and I hope Sony does not pursue any further development deals with RAD ( Until they prove themselves ) and invest in other gaming studios waiting for their AAA break but value player agency and gaming as a medium.

KooopaKid

Banned
It seems that some people perceive the Order's bad reviews and scores as an attack against linear story-driven third-person shooters. Reviews seem to indicate that the Order just isn't a good linear story-driven third-person shooter.

image.php

I read your post with the attitude of your avatar in mind :)

Toxi

Banned
Reading viveks post, If I were Sony I would can the IP. I am not sure RAD have the game designers with the right attitude ( in my opinion ) towards gaming. I think the money would be better served investing in From Software or their other studios going forward. This may sound harsh but clearly RAD's vision of gaming does not align with mine and I hope Sony does not pursue any further development deals with RAD ( Until they prove themselves ) and invest in other gaming studios waiting for their AAA break but value player agency and gaming as a medium.
If The Order sells well, Sony won't give a damn about RAD's vision of gaming, they'll just see dollar signs. If it doesn't, they'll probably put RAD back to creating smaller budget titles.

This assumes that Sony isn't pushing for that approach within their first-party output, though. Apart from a handful of exceptions, the cinematic style seems like it's a core part of their strategy. RAD just went all out with it.

Vik

Banned

Max Payne 3 had great gunplay

Chabbles

"player agency". Is this a new term coined during The Order release or something ?, its all over these Order threads and i cant remember ever reading that term before the last few days... wtf does it mean ?

Taking it slow, only to Chapter 5. Enjoying it so far.

Thermite gun was a lot of fun. Story and characters are very interesting. Hope to get to play with Arc gun again soon, that was such a tease early on and then it's gone. Graphics, animations and attention to detail are world class, truly amazing. I think a lot of the negativity is over stated.

The only thing I would like to see improved is player movement. It feels too rigid, slow and confining. Too many sections L3 run/jog doesn't work. If it had Uncharted type player movement and cover, it would really elevate the game. Climbing/jumping could be polished. When I grab a ledge to pull myself up, it shouldn't take multiple L+forward+X presses, 1 to grab ledge, then another to pull up. Especially when it feels like there is a delay to responding to it sometimes or a built in delay before registering the next one.

Vik

Banned
"player agency". Is this a new term coined during The Order release or something ?, its all over these Order threads and i cant remember ever reading that term before the last few days... wtf does it mean ?

It's being around for a while. It means player's freedom of choice or something along those line.

Game4life

Banned

Freedom, choice and a good level of control that player input has on gameplay.

Max Payne 3 had great gunplay

Max Payne 3 is another post card example of how not to design games. Gunplay was very good but it is cutscenes galore that are poorly and unnecessarily placed within the game.

It describes the degree to which the player's actions influence the outcome of the story and encounters in a game, it's not a new term at all.

AngryMoth

It's been around for a while. I guess it means the degree to which the player can influence what's happening in the game.

Yup. First two were so good. I loved the writing in the first especially! Also it was so non intrusive and when you were in combat nothing came in between to interrupt the gunplay.

And let's not forget that MP1's gameplay was revolutionary at the time. Bullet time was hugely influential and genuinely groundbreaking. It doesn't seem like the Order has anything similarly outstanding to offer.

Game4life

Banned
And let's not forget that MP1's gameplay was revolutionary at the time. Bullet time was hugely influential and genuinely groundbreaking. It doesn't seem like the Order has anything similarly outstanding to offer.

A lot of shooters even today have nothing on MP1 gameplay wise. So freaking good. You know I hope we get another Remedy developed Max Payne. Rockstar's over production hurt the franchise.

The agency of the player lol. And not really, but it's not used that often in general because it's not really a big issue in most games.

If The Order sells well, Sony won't give a damn about RAD's vision of gaming, they'll just see dollar signs. If it doesn't, they'll probably put RAD back to creating smaller budget titles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the metacritic score is probably part of the bonus structure and Sony probably saved themselves a bunch of money even if the game manages to sell well.

Vik

Banned
Freedom, choice and a good level of control that player input has on gameplay.

Max Payne 3 is another post card example of how not to design games. Gunplay was very good but it is cutscenes galore that are poorly and unnecessarily placed within the game.

Yeah, I don't disagree, but the gunplay is good enough for me to overlooked that

Up to Chapter XI right now. I actually agree with the lower end of the review scale. The 4/10 side of things. I actively hate this game. As short as it is, I don't even want to finish it. It took every annoying aspect of gaming over the past 7 years and crammed it into the title. All that is missing a water level. Then, it threw in annoying aspects of comics/movies and added to the pile (for example, Characters who are literally indestructible...until the story decides they aren't...then back to being so.) Then, it decided to throw in a bunch of stuff Anita Serkeesian will have a field day with.

Graphics are a saving grace I guess, but its nowhere near enough. A shame this engine was wasted on this game.

I'll try to finish it. Might as well. Heard most of the last chapters are all cutscenes anyway.

I could not even finish it so i guess your better than me.
I stop around where you are .

It's not a good game and perfect eg of not to do if you want to make a good linear story-driven third-person shooter .

I don't see how it's not a good linear story-driven third person shooter, from my POV.

- Controls well
- Story is pretty engrossing from what I've played so far (better than most in the genre, even AAA ones).

The gunplay and core game play becomes boring and chore thanks to the poor level , game and AI design .
And i play the game on hard with aim assist off , the AI worst than some PS2 games .

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So after Platinuming the game I can safely say that I enjoyed it overall but I can completely understand the low scores. Its something everyone should experience, but not at full price. If you can borrow or rent it, do that.

- Controls well

Having just finished the game I would agree with this. The writing never blew me away, but it never made me cringe. That already puts it narratively ahead of most games. It really does play quite well for what it is, which is a fairly standard cover shooter (save for occasionaly instances where you're doing something different that I won't spoil).

I feel from an overall standpoint the game is pretty average for a AAA game as an overall experience, which is certainly better than a lot of people are giving it credit for.

Footos22

So after Platinuming the game I can safely say that I enjoyed it overall but I can completely understand the low scores. Its something everyone should experience, but not at full price. If you can borrow or rent it, do that.

I'm going through it now and am enjoying it alot. But yeah prob wouldn't play again. Reminds me of max payne 3 in that regard.

vg260

I don't ever want to see another "I can't tell you what's really going on, follow me and all will be revealed, only a little farther to go, almost there, keep following me and you'll see, ah here we are, I could have just told you the truth upfront, but made you do all this" section in a game again. Infuriating.

I don't think there's anything here that would make it must-experience regardless of price. If you were really interested, but put off by the playtime for the price, sure. Otherwise, you're missing out on nothing by never touching it.

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't ever want to see another "I can't tell you what's really going on, follow me and all will be revealed, only a little farther to go, almost there, keep following me and you'll see, ah here we are, I could have just told you the truth upfront, but made you do all this" section in a game again. Infuriating.

So she would have told him....he wouldn't have believed and you still would have to have gone through all that. Rebels and knights don't exactly trust each other

vg260

So she would have told him....he wouldn't have believed and you still would have to have gone through all that. Rebels and knights don't exactly trust each other

Maybe there's no other good device that would work, but either way, I'm just tired of the scenario, but maybe more so with a weird, underwhelming reveal.

viveks86

It's been said before, but this a great review. Thanks for all your work on it!

Thanks for reading! I realize I tend to be too verbose and appreciate everyone's patience in going through it. I also realized that I missed a couple of minor points from my notes, so I've updated the review. lol. Probably why reviews should be given more time to bake in the oven!

Special mention on attention to detail:
Even the coat tails of random NPCs fluttered realistically in the wind.

Bugs/Glitches:
There was one scene where I needed to use the monocular to find something to drop on the rebels. The game for some reason did not recognize my controller input at all. It eventually skipped that portion on its own.

During the early portion of the game, the cutscenes had a weird bounce/jerky movement every time the camera cut to a different angle, as if the scene was being rendered before it was fully ready. This eventually faded away (either because they cleaned it up later in the game or my eyes got used to it

Blood was randomly appearing and disappearing from Galahad's body in one scene towards the end. The blood was from the previous combat where I got hit pretty bad. The glitch was a bit distracting during that cutscene.

Minor narrative issues:
Noticed a couple of jarring oversights in the screenplay, but not too significant. When the guy at the
brothel
demanded that Galahad should deposit his weapons before entering, he totally allowed the giant conspicuous knife he was carrying on his back. Similarly, when Galahad is asked if brutally stealth killing all those guards towards the end was necessary, his response was "there is no time". So everything the man lived to uphold for centuries was thrown right out the window, because gamers could get some satisfying knife-to-throat action. Couldn't they even think about non-lethal takedowns that were just as cool? And later on, Galahad is
accused of "incapacitating" the guards
. What he did was anything but that. If there were any apt examples of ludonarrative dissonance in games, this would be a top pick.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

but then you'd miss out on one of the great punchlines in video game narrative history:

of course, crates full of vampires! jack the ripper filled the boat with crates full of vampires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom