• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreweyes

I've got some limited edition art prints that just went up on www.WarpaintPress.com! :)

TETROPOLIS (standard)
Size: 18 x 24
Paper Color: French Pop Tone Limade
Paper Weight: 100#
Number of Colors: 2
Limited to: 100 Prints
tumblr_mm0vnji58P1qbw2q1o2_500.png

TETROPOLIS (variant)
Size: 18 x 24
Paper Color: French Pop Tone Sweet Tooth
Paper Weight: 100#
Number of Colors: 2 + Glow In The Dark
Limited to: 100 Prints
0w5IsNI.gif

...Since when are frames sold by the dimensions of the frame itself and not the dimensions of what the frame can hold?

Ordered a 12"x18" print of My Neighbor Totoro.
Bought a 12"x18" frame from Meijer.

Print arrives.. Open frame. Get it ready for the print to go in. Open the print...

Annnnd the print is THE EXACT size of the frame. I figured a 12"x 18" frame means it can hold something 12x18.... so that's just fucking great.

In other news. WTS shitty frame that could hold something that's like 11.5 x 17.5. WTB frame that can hold something that is 12" x 18".

EDIT:

Upon closer inspection the print is like 13x19. So that's great. Ugh ugh ugh ugh.

Are you talking about the totoro from bottleneck. If that was from bottleneck i'm sorry. We were told by the artist that it was 12x18. Didn't know it was 13x19 until reading your post just now.

I'm going to throw up the deadbolt signal.

Deadbolt, how do you guys charge your glow in the dark posters?

For my personal collection, anything that is on the wall is hit by some form of light during the day, allowing it to glow at night. I have noticed that some prints glow stronger then others, so it does depend on the print. In the gallery, we have all the windows blocked off so we use blacklights to give the prints a quick charge. But blacklights are def not needed for your print to glow. THe only time i use blacklights at home is when i take something out of my portfolio real quick to show to a friend, instead of having to leave it in a room for fifteen min with the lights on and come back :)

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=110513&start=1890

Trasher

lol

The classic Junior Member triple post including a repost of the same thing only 6 posts after it was first posted. Trying to steal Mockingbird's thunder!

Gotta be rough on these juniors otherwise they never learn!

He was pointing out that Cels posted it earlier, then deadbolt posted it again.

Great catch Trasher. Thanks much!!!

Just helping you guys out, friend!!!

It looks like a clear case of someone who doesn't use 100ppp. Sad times. :(

WEGGLES

Are you talking about the totoro from bottleneck. If that was from bottleneck i'm sorry. We were told by the artist that it was 12x18. Didn't know it was 13x19 until reading your post just now.
Yeah it is. The print looks excellent. Was just grumpy that I'd have to wait to put it up on my wall.

I have a proper frame ordered now, and my roommate us buying the old one off me, so I'm not stuck with a frame I have no need for.

Minor nuisance, but I may have overreacted. :p

Yeah it is. The print looks excellent. Was just grumpy that I'd have to wait to put it up on my wall.

I have a proper frame ordered now, and my roommate us buying the old one off me, so I'm not stuck with a frame I have no need for.

Minor nuisance, but I may have overreacted. :p

Expected one thing but received another, def no overreaction there.
Sorry about that. GLad to hear the print looks great though

rinemy

Banned
Well guys...

this Friday will probably be disappointing for most, prepare yourselves for it.

24x36 by Martin Ansin, Edition Size of 450 $50
1-fe6c237a59.jpg

24x36 Variant by Martin Ansin, Edition Size of 200 $75
2-9d07b4b169.jpg

24x36 GID by Phantom City Creative, Edition Size of 250 $45
3-233ca078be.jpg

rinemy

Banned
Yeah i think I'll have to go for the regular. its too much of a risk to go for the variant. I want the GID but i think my chances for that are slim as well.

I hope i can snag one of those Ansins'. He's def my favorite mondo artist.

Side note, this is posted on expresso, think it's def more insightful on GID answers.

by lgc8 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:16 am Just got my Drake and Skiff prints in today from this show and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I have a number of other GID prints so I mostly knew what I was getting. It seems like a lot of people in this thread were buying/seeing a GID print for the first time and I figured there would likely be some confusion/disappointment with the final product, especially in some cases where the artist was trying GID for the first time. There's definitely a learning curve for an artist using GID and certain issues are hard or impossible to overcome.

1) GID can't make a dark background light up at night. Whether it has GID overlayed on it or not, black is still black. A black and white checkerboard pattern with the white boxes GID will look basically look exactly the same as a black and white checkerboard pattern with the whole pattern covered in GID. This is often a big problem with "reveal" type GID prints.
2) GID works better with lots of GID ink/paint and large areas of GID. The larger areas with more GID overlay will glow longer and brighter. Intricate linework done in GID won't glow long or as bright.
3) The standard flourescent green color GID works best for brightness. You can dye the GID other colors but the brightness is diminished by the dye.
4) GID doesn't double as a night light. It will last a couple minutes and then need to be charged again. Just tried an experiment where I charged my brightest glowing GID print (Martin Ansin Thor Variant) and timed how long it lasted. Got to about 15 min before I could barely see. However, I must say that I just used a basic flashlight for about 1 min and my Thor print is behind UV Plexi which does seem to diminish the charging/glow slightly. I also can't get pitch black that easily in my living room since I'm in the city and the streetlights do put a fair amount of light in through the blinds.
5) Unfortunately, most preview pictures of the GID element are typically the artist vision of the GID layer and not pictures of the final product in the dark after printing. Other times, the "GID" pics are actually done under blacklight which will show far more than just the GID. I do feel that this is a valid complaint about the representation of the GID but also know that the final prints may not be ready until just before (or sometimes even after) the show and taking pictures of the real GID in the dark is also not that easy. Nevertheless, particularly for this show, it's disappointing when the GID doesn't look like the intended image and the preview images aren't actually of what happens "When the Lights Go Out".

For the prints I bought from this show:

Drake Tron: I'm happy with the GID on this one but it doesn't look like the blacklight image that was shown. The actual GID layer is actually more in character with the movie as well as the Ansin Tron GID prints I already had though so I actually like the real GID better than the preview.

Skiff Three: I pretty much knew this would not work as it was intended per point #1 above. I liked the image and concept though so I jumped on the print. As others have mentioned, the final product really turns out looking more like a girl wearing a wet t-shirt.

Waiting for my Englert from his AP sale so can't say much about this one yet. However, I know Mark has done a lot of GID prints and I have or have seen a few of them. It's obvious he's learned a lot about how to use GID while avoiding some of the problems mentioned above and from the pictures of the final product I've seen, it turned out great. When it comes to GID, Englert is one of the more experienced artists with using GID especially for "reveal" prints and the effectiveness of his prints is clear especially when compared to an artist trying GID out for the first time.

Meier

I hope i can snag one of those Ansins'. He's def my favorite mondo artist.

Side note, this is posted on expresso, think it's def more insightful on GID answers.

Thanks for posting this. I was under the impression based on what I'd seen in the past that you could sorta "train"/condition the GIDs to work better typically but it looks like that obviously isn't the case. Good to get a better understanding!

Ansin is one of my favorite artists and I have yet to be able to grab one of his posters. Since I'm off Friday, I will be camped out in front of my computer all day long until Mondo post this poster. After this one, I'll be done buying posters for a while.

No, seriously. The wife is saying "no mas", lol. Plus, there's so much more I want than another poster... for now.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I don't want it to be a lottery either. There were just tons of people waiting for two hours to "see if they got picked", so I compared it.

Did you score?

it's not seeing if they got picked, it's seeing if they are fast enough. The only downside is a 2 hour lag (in this rare case) from doing the drop to finding out if you actually got it. The result is still a standard drop, whoever was fastest won.

Had the site immediately cut-off and rejected everyone once it sold out, the result is the same, minus the two hours.

A lottery takes 2+ hours to send out the e-mails too, but you have zero control.

Trasher

it's not seeing if they got picked, it's seeing if they are fast enough. The only downside is a 2 hour lag (in this rare case) from doing the drop to finding out if you actually got it. The result is still a standard drop, whoever was fastest won.

Had the site immediately cut-off and rejected everyone once it sold out, the result is the same, minus the two hours.

A lottery takes 2+ hours to send out the e-mails too, but you have zero control.

What was this for? A Horkey drop/lottery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom