• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I do like the idea of credits on the print, but if there's a possibility of a series of some sorts, perhaps we can forgo a traditional credit block for something more individualized?

One of my favorite things the MGS games do is show the characters name along with the voice actor when they're introduced.

gcsKwhK.jpg

At the moment, there isn't a ton of negative space left over that could be utilized well for credits. Perhaps the "Kojima" type could be turned horizontal to accommodate room for both a director and individual actor credit, so as to further highlight the character of each print?

keiichi

not yet. though reality is I have 8 (eight) prints in that size range to frame:

Moss Totoro Variant AP (signed)
Moss Mononoke Variant (signed)
Moss Zelda variant (signed)
Moss Mario variant (signed)
Moss Spirited variant (signed)
Moss Howl's variant (signed)
Struzan Dark Tower (signed)
Creaturebox Ratchet & Clank (needs to be signed next time I visit the NC team, and actually is 18 x 36)

ye gods. gonna be expensive when i start that process.

I actually just dropped my Moss F-Bomb at the framer this week. Should be done tomorrow. Will post pics

I said holy shit out loud. wow.

Trasher

Dude can take all the time he needs as far as I'm concerned. The sooner he finishes the sooner I have the frame it and find space for it haha.

Same. My framing queue is at about 15 now. I haven't even bought my apartment yet. I'm running out of mylar sleeves/backing too.

Ugh. I have so many things to frame.

Mark Englert - 2001 Apes
Mark Englert - Shining variant
Olly Moss - Ski Free
Olly Moss - Heroes cards (3 packs)
Drew Struzan - Dark Tower
HCG Show - Probably at least three to five prints lol

Oh, and I just got my Zelda print in this week from the Where Is My Mind Bottleneck show. It's a really funky size, so I'll have to custom frame that as well.

rinemy

Banned
Finally received it from my pb.
Very happy to finally have it.

I know some people mentioned the Howl poster looked better to them but after seeing them both I decided I really like the one more.

(more pictures here)

b3ZS3cVh.jpg

Pretty funny that my iPhone camera could catch face recognition on the "No Face Spirit" but not Chihiro's
Fantastic job OM!

not yet. though reality is I have 8 (eight) prints in that size range to frame:

Moss Totoro Variant AP (signed)
Moss Mononoke Variant (signed)
Moss Zelda variant (signed)
Moss Mario variant (signed)
Moss Spirited variant (signed)
Moss Howl's variant (signed)
Struzan Dark Tower (signed)
Creaturebox Ratchet & Clank (needs to be signed next time I visit the NC team, and actually is 18 x 36)

ye gods. gonna be expensive when i start that process.

I actually just dropped my Moss F-Bomb at the framer this week. Should be done tomorrow. Will post pics

This guy has too many posters.

Sushigod7

That's not true. We all have some say. We all paid the same amount. I just relay the requests from here to Ash. I like your idea of credits but I also feel it would be better on a MGS poster that doesn't focus on one character. I think it would fit in more with one that represents the entire game as a whole and perhaps a larger one at 24"x36". But I'll let him know as well.

Should be a little more ambitious than that. What you want to do is have a short list of other characters commissioned like Ocelot, Sniper Wolf, etc. and then do Snake at the end.

Actually, Ash said he'd like to do other characters from MGS if this goes well. He did actually mention the villains first, so who knows?

Also, to update a bit, Ash will be out next week but is aiming to get this piece done mid to end of August if he can put the proper time into it. I told him he can take as much time as he needs though, cause ultimately I think we'd all agree we'd want the piece to be really good instead being rushed by setting a deadline.

I didn't want to push to much because I know he is busy but that is great news! I'd really like a large set piece like a 24X36 with a ensemble of characters and REX somewhere in it. The thought of him doing that gives me the chills actually. I'd easily pay $100 for that before printing costs.

I know some people mentioned the Howl poster looked better to them but after seeing them both I decided I really like the one more.

(more pictures here)

b3.ZS3cVh.jpg

Pretty funny that my iPhone camera could catch face recognition on the "No Face Spirit" but not Chihiro's
Fantastic job OM!

It looks so good. Maybe someday...

Meier

(more pictures here)

http://i.imgur.com/b3ZS3cVh.jpg[IMG]

Fantastic job OM![/QUOTE]

Great pics! The close-up of Chihiro's face in particular is very good. It was always slightly 'blurry' in the images online.. she definitely has a bit more clarity/definition when you see it up close. I rarely prefer the variant but that looks so damn sharp...might be better than the original.

lupinko

I do like the idea of credits on the print, but if there's a possibility of a series of some sorts, perhaps we can forgo a traditional credit block for something more individualized?

One of my favorite things the MGS games do is show the characters name along with the voice actor when they're introduced.

At the moment, there isn't a ton of negative space left over that could be utilized well for credits. Perhaps the "Kojima" type could be turned horizontal to accommodate room for both a director and individual actor credit, so as to further highlight the character of each print?

I was thinking of vertical scrolling text, kinda like Ansin's Man of Steel but not on an angle like Ansin's tho but something like that.

rinemy

Banned
Great pics! The close-up of Chihiro's face in particular is very good. It was always slightly 'blurry' in the images online.. she definitely has a bit more clarity/definition when you see it up close. I rarely prefer the variant but that looks so damn sharp...might be better than the original.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the ground that Chihiro is standing on.
The colors there are so good, it has like a "colored clay" feeling and it strikes out almost as much as the red colored Japanese titling

Sushigod7

I don't think this was posted but it is up if anyone is interested.
empire_daniels.jpg

The Empire Strikes Back
by Mark Daniels
250 piece silk screen edition measuring 12" x 24."
Each print has the artist's authorized signature.

I'm really close to getting this I skipped all the Mondo stuff despite hovering over the page. This is so nice the only thing that holds me back is it's just a 1 off poster no series? I'd like all 3.

rinemy

Banned
I'm really close to getting this I skipped all the Mondo stuff despite hovering over the page. This is so nice the only thing that holds me back is it's just a 1 off poster no series? I'd like all 3.

Looks better than Dave Perillo's set imo but still just a bit too cartoony for me.

From what I have read the artist said it will be a series he just started with ESB.

Looks better than Dave Perillo's set imo but still just a bit too cartoony for me.
I thought Dave Perillo's were great but too cartoony as well. This one I really like and at 12x24 won't take up a ton of space and should be easy to frame.

Sigma722

I don't think this was posted but it is up if anyone is interested.
empire_daniels.jpg

The Empire Strikes Back
by Mark Daniels
250 piece silk screen edition measuring 12" x 24."
Each print has the artist's authorized signature.

I dig this, but I've already got the only Star Wars poster set I'll ever need :-D

Trasher

Ehhh I know those are intentional but those are way too reaching for anyone to get or appreciate.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's cool...but in the end it's kinda meh. Was hoping for something a bit cooler when I first heard Jock was doing this print.

rinemy

Banned
I'm having a hard time with this whole print I don't like it at all I must be missing something way to abstract for me.

imagine me, i haven't even watched it yet so im still confused what the thing is. Maybe some dude from the fantastic 4 i guess.

Sushigod7

imagine me, i haven't even watched it yet so im still confused what the thing is. Maybe some dude from the fantastic 4 i guess.

hahahaha well do watch the original movie the remake wasn't that good. The original is a classic and on Netflix instant right now if you have that.

Bii

I don't really "get" that Thing poster either. :/

If I wanted to sell my Olly Moss villain prints (Colossus, Dark Souls and Robitnik), would it be appropriate to post in this thread or should I just take it to the B/S/T thread?

Edit: Dark Souls and Colossus pending. Still have Robotnik available:

9424384767_893e4fb913_b.jpg

Colossus #50/100
Robotnik #20/100

$50 shipped for Robotnik.

Sushigod7

I don't really "get" that Thing poster either. :/

If I wanted to sell my Olly Moss villain prints (Colossus, Dark Souls and Robitnik), would it be appropriate to post in this thread or should I just take it to the B/S/T thread?

I'm more than interested in that Dark Souls knight I'll PM you, I don't think it's a big deal to post here either.

Fletcher

That Jock print of The Thing is actually pretty damn great. Sorry, guys. The rough sketch he posted up of it online is even better, though.

Looks like Ash Thorp has posted on his blog about the commission. Pretty awesome and really excited on the final piece.

Reading an interview with Mondo Head Justin Ishmael had some pretty great things to say about Thorp.

LaneDS

Thanks to Bii's post (thank you again!) and eBay I now have the Olly SotC and Dark Souls prints on the way (3/100 on the Dark Souls one)... officially have a buying problem now but it'll look super nice all told, and I feel better buying nice prints than games I might not end up playing I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom