• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushigod7

971405_685309508149170_1734895423_n.jpg

Print #9: Forest Life

On-Sale Period: 8/29/2013 from 12 AM PAC - 9/1/2013 at 11:59 PM PAC.

Pre-Requisite:

You must meet at least 1 of the following 3 requirements:

A. Own at least 1 Animal Crossing title.
B. Own a Wii U console.
C. Own a 3DS handheld.

(If you've provided proof via option B or C before you do not need to do it again.)

Artist: JJ Harrison ( http://jjwharrison.com/ )

Size: 10"x8"

Printing Technique: Giclee

Paper: Smooth, Fine Art, Moab Entrada Rag Natural 290 gsm, 21.5 mil, archival

Printed by: Giclee Today

Edition Size: Timed, limited-edition TBD. Hand-numbered, hand-embossed.

Price: $17.00

Will be for sale here: http://gameandprintclub.bigcartel.com/

( Note: There are no artist proofs, printer's proofs, or anything else outside the signed/numbered run).

Quoted for top of page.

All over this one even though I've never played Animal Crossing, might put in my daughters room it's awesome. Nice work with the artist Mockingbird!!

edit: Wait a minute who is 898 and what did you do to mockingbird?

971405_685309508149170_1734895423_n.jpg

Print #9: Forest Life

On-Sale Period: 8/29/2013 from 12 AM PAC - 9/1/2013 at 11:59 PM PAC.

Pre-Requisite:

You must meet at least 1 of the following 3 requirements:

A. Own at least 1 Animal Crossing title.
B. Own a Wii U console.
C. Own a 3DS handheld.

(If you've provided proof via option B or C before you do not need to do it again.)

Artist: JJ Harrison ( http://jjwharrison.com/ )

Size: 10"x8"

Printing Technique: Giclee

Paper: Smooth, Fine Art, Moab Entrada Rag Natural 290 gsm, 21.5 mil, archival

Printed by: Giclee Today

Edition Size: Timed, limited-edition TBD. Hand-numbered, hand-embossed.

Price: $17.00

Will be for sale here: http://gameandprintclub.bigcartel.com/

( Note: There are no artist proofs, printer's proofs, or anything else outside the signed/numbered run).

Looks great and hopefully I can snag this. Oh Animal Crossing... Why can't I quit you?

Sushigod7

Curious if anyone has got shipping confirmation on the Moss Heroes packs? The email last week sounded like they were shipping any day now but that was a week ago.

LaneDS

Yeah your right Monday, nobody on EB has received anything it looks like either.

Yep, all quiet.

Apparently my Moss Dark Souls was delivered today, so I'm excited to check that out when I get home. Might pick up some frames tonight, since those will be easy/cheap compared to other stuff.

Sigma722

Anybody have a Moss Skull Kid that they wouldn't mind hooking me up with? I'm considering grabbing a bunch of these 5x5s for my retro room..

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Elaborate please!

That Moss Totoro I mentioned a few weeks ago. I bought it, and it took a few weeks, but it's here now.

I'd take pictures but it'd just be sitting inside of a mylar sleeve. I won't be framing anything until I find my new apartment.

Soon. Then, there will be much framing. Totoro will be the first.

I might take pics anyway once it's flattened. I also got this from the same seller:

I might stick that one in my office sooner rather than later. We'll see.

Sushigod7

That Moss Totoro I mentioned a few weeks ago. I bought it, and it took a few weeks, but it's here now.

I'd take pictures but it'd just be sitting inside of a mylar sleeve. I won't be framing anything until I find my new apartment.

Soon. Then, there will be much framing. Totoro will be the first.

I might take pics anyway once it's flattened. I also got this from the same seller:

I might stick that one in my office sooner rather than later. We'll see.

Nice pick up! Someday hope to have one in my collection but with prices going the way they are not a easy task anymore. Variant or Reg?

Here is my pick up thanks to Bii so excited for this guy!

B33

Banned
I kept a print stored in its roll as it was shipped from Mondo for quite some time. Recently, I removed the artwork to flatten it for storage.

This is what I found: http://i.imgur.com/oUEe9hr.jpg.

I intend on framing the piece within the next month. Should I cut the excess piece of paper? Should I look into restorative care? Or would it be better to just frame it without any further intervention?

Sushigod7

I kept a print stored in its roll as it was shipped from Mondo for quite some time. Recently, I removed the artwork to flatten it for storage.

This is what I found: http://i.imgur.com/oUEe9hr.jpg.

I intend on framing the piece within the next month. Should I cut the excess piece of paper? Should I look into restorative care? Or would it be better to just frame it without any further intervention?

I assume it's on the front then?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Nice pick up! Someday hope to have one in my collection but with prices going the way they are not a easy task anymore. Variant or Reg?

Regular, it'll go with the Reg Spirited Away I managed to trade for.

And yeah, my intention is to make this my one and only crazy expensive purchase. I wasn't even hunting for it at the time. I just got a PM on expressobeans about my ISO, and figured it wasn't ever going to get any cheaper. The few times I'd actually hunted around for it, it was like pulling teeth. No one wanted to even trade for it, even if I was offering to give them several of their ISOs. At one point, I offered a guy Struzan's Thing, Stout's Avengers, and a Moss Zelda; all three for the one reg Moss Totoro. He still refused me.

Here is my pick up thanks to Bii so excited for this guy!
That looks awesome too. I can't wait until we all start trading our heroes (and maybe some villains!)

Sushigod7

Regular, it'll go with the Reg Spirited Away I managed to trade for.

And yeah, my intention is to make this my one and only crazy expensive purchase. I wasn't even hunting for it at the time. I just got a PM on expressobeans about my ISO, and figured it wasn't ever going to get any cheaper. The few times I'd actually hunted around for it, it was like pulling teeth. No one wanted to even trade for it, even if I was offering to give them several of their ISOs. At one point, I offered a guy Struzan's Thing, Stout's Avengers, and a Moss Zelda; all three for the one reg Moss Totoro. He still refused me.

That is unbelievable I like Totoro but those 3 are amazing! Must have been a die hard fan lol. I've been selling a bunch of figures and games on ebay saving up toward the Spirited Away was trying to sell my Akira Drake to but no one has jumped on it yet. I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

well, you're talking about maybe 3 prints worth 825 for one print worth 700ish now. Tough, those three other prints are all obtainable, I think, versus the Totoros which are extremely scarce.

I think you'll see a new small wave of them hit when the regs hit the 800-1000 range and the variant clips 1500. It'll shake some out.

I, on the other hand, just dropped mine off with the Framing Devil today. So excited. Guessing it'll be a post-PAX pick-up

LaneDS

Just dropped a, uh, significant amount to frame the Moss Howl's variant and the Journey print today. Learned how much it costs to custom frame prints that are non-standard with matting today (ugh).

Very excited to see them framed even if my wallet is in mourning.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just dropped a, uh, significant amount to frame the Moss Howl's variant and the Journey print today. Learned how much it costs to custom frame prints that are non-standard with matting today (ugh).

Hopefully not at Aaron Bros or something.

Finding a good local framer with less cost is key

Sushigod7

Yeah custom is certainly a bitch but always looks so good. I haven't got any of my screen prints done custom yet. I think I'm about ready to get a custom job on a non screen print though, a Club Nintendo Zelda poster. lol I've had it for so long I just want it hung up!

LaneDS

Hopefully not at Aaron Bros or something.

Finding a good local framer with less cost is key

Yeah custom is certainly a bitch but always looks so good. I haven't got any of my screen prints done custom yet. I think I'm about ready to get a custom job on a non screen print though, a Club Nintendo Zelda poster. lol I've had it for so long I just want it hung up!

Yeah, was a local place that my girlfriend actually worked at many years ago. They were very nice, gave us discounts, and the experience was great (site is here if anyone in Northern VA / DC is looking for a place: http://www.adlersframing.com/ ). Framing Howl's was easy and cheap ($99 for a 20x36), but custom framing the Journey print was around $250. I expect both to look great though, and it's important to me to take good care of these things so I got over the price quickly enough.

By comparison, I went to a local framer for my Iron Giant print (which like an idiot I let them dry mount it, so that's never coming out of the frame), and they quoted me at something like $200+ for a 20x36 print and immediately came down on the price when I balked and went to walk away. So today's experience was much better.

Sushigod7

Yeah, was a local place that my girlfriend actually worked at many years ago. They were very nice, gave us discounts, and the experience was great (site is here if anyone in Northern VA / DC is looking for a place: http://www.adlersframing.com/ ). Framing Howl's was easy and cheap ($99 for a 20x36), but custom framing the Journey print was around $250. I expect both to look great though, and it's important to me to take good care of these things so I got over the price quickly enough.

By comparison, I went to a local framer for my Iron Giant print (which like an idiot I let them dry mount it, so that's never coming out of the frame), and they quoted me at something like $200+ for a 20x36 print and immediately came down on the price when I balked and went to walk away. So today's experience was much better.

That's pretty reasonable by my standards I have a local framer here but she closed up a shop and moved somewhere else in town after we used her for a big ass picture (like 52X40). She did an amazing job and now can't find her. You guys are lucky to have a contact you trust I guess I need to go out and start looking again. Post pictures DS when you get them back those are both amazing pieces.

LaneDS

That's pretty reasonable by my standards I have a local framer here but she closed up a shop and moved somewhere else in town after we used her for a big ass picture (like 52X40). She did an amazing job and now can't find her. You guys are lucky to have a contact you trust I guess I need to go out and start looking again. Post pictures DS when you get them back those are both amazing pieces.

Totally will! I enjoy sharing photos with the thread and seeing other folks' stuff too.

My favorite part about my framing period today was watching this girl (probably early-to-mid 20s) employee unroll the Howl's and immediately nerd out at the print. Funny to read the receipt for the framing where one says "Howl's Moving Castle" and the other says "Sand dunes and figure", so the depths of her nerdiness were properly measured.

Trasher

well, you're talking about maybe 3 prints worth 825 for one print worth 700ish now. Tough, those three other prints are all obtainable, I think, versus the Totoros which are extremely scarce.

I think you'll see a new small wave of them hit when the regs hit the 800-1000 range and the variant clips 1500. It'll shake some out.

I, on the other hand, just dropped mine off with the Framing Devil today. So excited. Guessing it'll be a post-PAX pick-up
How are the prices at that place? I've seen stuff on EB and it all looks amazing, so I'm guessing it's fairly expensive.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty paranoid about the framing I had done for my Totoro reg. I had it framed at a local place and knew enough at the time to specifically say I didn't want it dry mounted or have any kind of wet adhesive used so the print wouldn't be damaged, but when I asked about what they ended up doing after the fact, he said they used a "cold mount" and that it was undoable, but I'm sort of uncertain about how easily done that is :/

I can't imagine ever selling it so I guess it doesn't matter too much, but with how much the price has continued to go up it I wish I had been more firm with exactly how I wanted it done :/

They did a fantastic job otherwise so I'll definitely be going back, but I just wish I'd done a less rare print for my first one.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
FYI a Totoro reg, and slightly damaged variant just popped up here:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120748

Yep, definitely got the Totoro a slight bit cheaper than that. Feelin' good.

You're in the South Florida area aren't you? I remember you mentioning that before in this thread. I'm in that area too. I'm going to start looking for a framer sometime soonish as well. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Sushigod7

Yep, definitely got the Totoro a slight bit cheaper than that. Feelin' good.

You're in the South Florida area aren't you? I remember you mentioning that before in this thread. I'm in that area too. I'm going to start looking for a framer sometime soonish as well. I'll let you know if I find anything.

I'm in Central but sometimes make it South for work. If you do let me know I may still use them I'll let you know what I find up here you never know the deals we could get.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
How are the prices at that place? I've seen stuff on EB and it all looks amazing, so I'm guessing it's fairly expensive.

Framing Devil is totally reasonable for the level of work he's doing. After meeting him, talking about his philosophy, seeing his work in person and photos online, and seeing his prices... I don't think I'll be framing anything anywhere else again.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm pretty paranoid about the framing I had done for my Totoro reg. I had it framed at a local place and knew enough at the time to specifically say I didn't want it dry mounted or have any kind of wet adhesive used so the print wouldn't be damaged, but when I asked about what they ended up doing after the fact, he said they used a "cold mount" and that it was undoable, but I'm sort of uncertain about how easily done that is :/

I can't imagine ever selling it so I guess it doesn't matter too much, but with how much the price has continued to go up it I wish I had been more firm with exactly how I wanted it done :/

They did a fantastic job otherwise so I'll definitely be going back, but I just wish I'd done a less rare print for my first one.

wtf. You said no wet adhesive... but cold mounting is a wet adhesive.

dude, that sucks. That's basically drymounting without heat. You should've gone off on them.

never go back there again.

B33

Banned
I've had a handful of prints framed at Michael's with nothing egregious to note.

I walked into a local shop called "Frugal Framer," and they asked for a minimum of $450 for my Iron Giant (by Laurent Durieux) print. The lowest they would go was $150 for a "dry mount," which entailed just placing the item in a backing and frame with no glass or matte.

I politely declined and took the piece over to Michael's. I ended up paying a bit under $200 for one matte, decent frame, and glass coated for UV protection. The work is mounted and aligned with mounting strips (not wet) and the store was receptive to special requests. If you run into an issue upon the final inspection, they'll remount and alter the frame without further cost.

I ran into one qualm with my Shaun of the Dead (by Jock) print, in which they didn't screw a mounting wire on the frame and instead provided loops. I took the piece back and they amended the error without any hesitance.

If you lack a decent independent framer in your immediate area, I'd advise visiting Michael's when they have a sale on frames and services (usually 1 week out of every month), which can be found by visiting their webpage. The selection of mattes and frames isn't paltry, but it did feel a bit homogenized when I last visited. I'm still looking for a local shop, but this is sufficient for the time being. Without a sale, consider shopping the price around.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I'm thinking of doing a trial run with American Frame for one print. I don't mind doing things myself.

Anyone have any experience with them? Is this a horrible idea doomed to failure?

kaskade

Anyone get a shipping notification for their Moss heroes yet? I don't think I've seen them pop up in this thread yet and I got the we are shipping them email a week ago. Not really in any rush, just curious.

My Ansin superman hasn't shipped yet either. I really want to see that bad boy in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom