• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRinn

Anybody go for a World's End and miss out?

Edit: If you missed it give me a shout. Got one you can have for cost.

Edit 2: Gone.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I really want Tong's Pacific Rim print.

Also I guess I need an awesome Shaun of the Dead and Hott Fuzz print too to go with my World's End one.

Where do you guys get all your frames, I have a ton of posters just chilling in tubes waiting to be framed? Not looking for anything expensive, but sturdy.

rinemy

Banned
Where do you guys get all your frames, I have a ton of posters just chilling in tubes waiting to be framed? Not looking for anything expensive, but sturdy.

I've gotten frames from many places.
Retailers like Michaels/Walmart.
Online ones like Craig Frames, Imperial Frames, MyUSArt.
As well as custom framing done locally for my posters with uncommon dimensions.

My advice is go inexpensive BUT try to stick with wood. Plastic frames tend to end up looking uneven unless you spend a lot of time trying to make it look perfect. Custom frames will cost you around $200 each one. My new rule of thumb is never to custom frame a poster unless it has huge sentimental value or if the poster price exceeds the framing cost.

here's a link to an inexpensive wood one I bought recently and I liked it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320755736024

If anyone knows any online places that do inexpensive frames with foam backing let us know!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

My advice is go inexpensive BUT try to stick with wood. Plastic frames tend to end up looking uneven unless you spend a lot of time trying to make it look perfect. Custom frames will cost you around $200 each one. My new rule of thumb is never to custom frame a poster unless it has huge sentimental value or if the poster price exceeds the framing cost.

If anyone knows any online places that do inexpensive frames with foam backing let us know!

it all depends on the prints. if it's smaller / cheaper stuff, then frame it how you like. if it's big expensive stuff, going custom and archival is the only route.

keep in mind cheap frames will:

-Acidify the print from the edges of the wood, this will cause damage and noticeable ringing
-The print touches the glass, this will eventually transfer some of the ink and could lead to waviness/bends
-does not protect for UV light. The print / paper will eventually fade be damaged.
-not acid free backing, so there will be damage there too over the long run

for some prints? who cares. Other folks, myself included, like to have some 18 x 24, 12 x 36 and 24 x 36 that I can rotate prints into for a couple months and then put them away and put something else up.

most of my big stuff though is all custom framed with acid free backing and mattes, and UV glass.

the most advisable action here is to ensure you find a good local mom and pop framer that doesn't charge ridiculous amounts.

Sigma722

To add to that, if the "value" exceeds the framing cost, make sure you are framing it to conserve it. UV plexi/glass, acid free mat and board, spacers if not using mat.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Support your local competent framer :)

I am discovering that is not an easy thing to find.

I'd also like to point out that you can get good materials and build the frame yourself. That being said, it still means that a 24x36 frame with UV glass/acid-free etc. can cost anywhere between $70-100.

At least, that's what it seems like when I look at/ask about places like americanframe.com. I haven't made the jump yet, myself.

----

I'm curious, what do you guys think about this: (re: UV glass effectiveneses/light exposure)

http://www.ukiyoe-gallery.com/sunfade.htm

This isn't the first time I've seen the claim that UV glass doesn't do much for direct sunlight, but it's definitely the first time I've seen someone do their own tests on it. Obviously, the paper and printing method have a lot to do with it too, but what stands out to me is how little difference there is between the regular glass and the UV glass. Maybe it's just poor quality UV glass?

In any case, it seems that my plan to hang things away from windows might be the safest option. Oh, and no fluorescent bulbs.

rinemy

Banned
Got some eye candy for you guys.

Here's my Howl that came back from the framer a couple of days ago.

4Qu2Hr3l.jpg

And now for Spirited Away,

Here's a close up, you can notice the subtle differences such is in the plant behind sen and also the floor. As I mentioned before I personally like the Variant's credit block but both pieces are well done and I am very happy to own them both.
Lu58PDWl.jpg

Lastly, here's a print you guys haven't seen much yet.
That's my Legend of Korra Spirit Parade Giclee from SDCC. It's my pride and treasure, sigh the matte on the top left was bent a little but luckily its just the matte,
SAbsXqrl.jpg

6Ue2EsPl.jpg

Sigma722

That might be Morkaut's best, but still kinda meh for me.

I should probably clarify that I mean best in terms of likeness, and this is on the Morkaut-scale.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Everybody has a thumbprint on their heads. I guess I'm still waiting on a solid BB print.

IronRinn

Ye gods, someone finally did the unthinkable and gave him a gig.

Also, that one's pretty old isn't it? I remember it showing up a year or so ago in the EB thread.

Meier

I think the likenesses are pretty good on that BB print but this..

Never forget.
http://static.squarespace.com/static/505ca281e4b0ed07da1a5058/505ce0c4e4b0ad7cb8bec36a/51019165e4b0604ddbc31bc6/1359057278140/boogie%20nights%20GID%20variant.jpg?format=300w[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think you missed that train a while ago

I looked through all the Breaking Gifs prints and really didn't see one I liked too much. Some looked nice but nothing I felt I needed to own.

I'm sure the finale will bring about some cool shit.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
That Rhys Cooper and the Daniel Danger one are the only ones that I grabbed from that run. Love them both.

S76Zb6F.jpg

I gave that one to my sister as a Christmas gift last year. She loved it.

The Ken Taylor was pretty nice as well.

I61Y7WO.jpg

Edit: And I forgot about Kevin Tong's Superlab, which is my only ISO from that set. I'd love to put that up in my office.

iQVs2Wn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom