• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to sound like I'm begging, or anything.

But I'm at work tomorrow with a handful of meetings ALL FUCKING DAY and I won't be able to make this drop.

I've never bought a Mondo print before (successfully). I guess I'm asking for a poster buddy for BTTF2 here.

If someone who is awesome would be willing to help a Canadian brother out, you'd be a hero. I hope asking this isn't out of line with the rest of the thread. ;_;

I don't want to sound like I'm begging, or anything.

But I'm at work tomorrow with a handful of meetings ALL FUCKING DAY and I won't be able to make this drop.

I've never bought a Mondo print before (successfully). I guess I'm asking for a poster buddy for BTTF2 here.

If someone who is awesome would be willing to help a Canadian brother out, you'd be a hero. I hope asking this isn't out of line with the rest of the thread. ;_;

I'm also in Canada. I'll give it a shot, but I don't have the best track record.

santi_yo

Careful. Probably at least half, maybe more, sold at the gallery.

Probably won't be a cakewalk.

tumblr_mbupehwsec1rgjkhbo1_500.gif

Crap. I didn't know that. In addition I'm babysitting my nephew right now :( At least I'll try!

2/28/2014:

Where the Wild Things Are Artist Proof Edition by Ken Taylor

unnamed2_zpsac36e1ff.jpg~original

21″ x 36″ screenprint, has an AP edition of 45 and will cost $50.

How to buy online: http://www.postersandtoys.net/servlet/Categories?category=New+Stuff @ around 2 PM CST.

Where the Wild Things Are Variant Artist Proof Edition by Ken Taylor

unnamed3_zps1cc00ab4.jpg~original

21″ x 36″ screenprint, has an AP edition of 45, and will cost $75

How to buy online: http://www.postersandtoys.net/servlet/Categories?category=New+Stuff @ around 2 PM CST.

Sigma722

It sounds like they are fully out of stock now.

Don't stop trying to refresh the product page though for the one you truly want in the future. It sounds like they had some serious stagger on this one, meaning it was saying sold out, but later came back in stock.

Most of the guys on EB that failed initially got a second chance.

LaneDS

It sounds like they are fully out of stock now.

Don't stop trying to refresh the product page though for the one you truly want in the future. It sounds like they had some serious stagger on this one, meaning it was saying sold out, but later came back in stock.

Most of the guys on EB that failed initially got a second chance.

Yep, 2 immediately showed as out of stock, which was weird. Had 1 in the cart, refreshed on 2, saw it was now in stock, added that (1 failed to checkout), tried getting both, got caught at shipping. Again.

Frustrating but that's the game, right?

Sigma722

Yep, 2 immediately showed as out of stock, which was weird. Had 1 in the cart, refreshed on 2, saw it was now in stock, added that (1 failed to checkout), tried getting both, got caught at shipping. Again.

Frustrating but that's the game, right?

I've learned that you ALWAYS go for one, but have a tab ready for the other. Completely get one so that you aren't completely out of luck, and then go for second, and pray for stagger if you miss it.

LaneDS

I've learned that you ALWAYS go for one, but have a tab ready for the other. Completely get one so that you aren't completely out of luck, and then go for second, and pray for stagger if you miss it.

That's actually how I was doing it, but the tab with the first one had an error on checkout. Second one showed as in stock right about that time so it seemed like no time was lost (not that it mattered!).

One of these days!

IronRinn

Going to be a lot through g1988 soon, but none with likeness it sounds like.

Stout GB is a dream print though

I would rather have Ansin do a GB print. Does better likenesses (or, at least, likenesses that look better to me).

Edit: Bet Rich Kelly would do an awesome job too.

For those wanting the Ghost in the Shell, this is where.

06x8VrA.jpg

Arrive Friday in the early morning and get in line. Then leave soon after. Lol. Would love to meet you and other fancy-poster gaffer's in person!

Update on Paprika:

I got the proof in. I absolutely love it. The iridescent makes it a real treat! Going into full production and will finish next week.

Update on MGS:

The variant is ready to go to print as soon as the paper arrives. The paper for the regular will either take a little longer or arrive with the variant paper. From there, after some separation fixes from the printer, it will go into full production.

No online sales?

ohkay

I would rather have Ansin do a GB print. Does better likenesses (or, at least, likenesses that look better to me).

Edit: Bet Rich Kelly would do an awesome job too.
Ansin and Kelly do better compositions than Stout too IMO, but I'd love a Ghostbusters print from any of them

2/28/2014:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Graham Erwin

charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory1.png

Poster by Graham Erwin. 24″ X36″ Screenprint. Preorder price – $45. Regular price – $55

Available for preorder at a random time HERE at a random time on Friday, February 28th.

IronRinn

2/28/2014:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Graham Erwin

charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory1.png

Poster by Graham Erwin. 24″ X36″ Screenprint. Preorder price – $45. Regular price – $55

Available for preorder at a random time HERE at a random time on Friday, February 28th.

One of these days Erwin's going to make a print I can't resist. Really like the dude's style.

Just did, wow. At least twitter rants are capped at 140 characters.

Anyone know why Mondo's response to community outrage seems to be non-existent? Their policies are literally creating customers for scalpers. They seem like a pretty awful group of people to stay silent about the matter for so long

Also, any know how much they pay to commission the art from the artists? Almost just feel like doing it myself and selling infinite prints to customers.

omgkitty

Anyone know why Mondo's response to community outrage seems to be non-existent? Their policies are literally creating customers for scalpers. They seem like a pretty awful group of people to stay silent about the matter for so long

Also, any know how much they pay to commission the art from the artists? Almost just feel like doing it myself and selling infinite prints to customers.

rQr6J.gif

IronRinn

I can't be certain, but they may have responded to the outrage in the past. Regardless, there's no satisfactory response, really. I know people get pissed about missing out on cool shit. It happens after every single drop. At one time or another, no doubt, every single person in this thread has gone through it. It has been debated endlessly about how to "fix" it, or make the process better. There is no answer. Mondo makes cool, limited edition prints that people want. Not everyone is going to get one. It sucks sometimes, but that is the way it is.

As for payment, I'm not sure they've specifically laid out how they pay but it is my understanding that some artists take a straight payment, while other (Olly Moss for example) take payment in the form of a number of prints, which they can then sell for whatever price they choose.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I can't be certain, but they may have responded to the outrage in the past. Regardless, there's no satisfactory response, really. I know people get pissed about missing out on cool shit. It happens after every single drop. At one time or another, no doubt, every single person in this thread has gone through it. It has been debated endlessly about how to "fix" it, or make the process better. There is no answer. Mondo makes cool, limited edition prints that people want. Not everyone is going to get one. It sucks sometimes, but that is the way it is.

Pretty much. This has been a long going issue and Mondo doesn't have any interest to stir the pot by constantly responding to same complaints over and over again.

There's no fix to this. There's always going to be a mad rush to buy them. There's always going to be flippers. You either get lucky or you don't.

LaneDS

Simply having infrastructure to properly handle the load during drops would alleviate nearly all of the complaints. I don't think that's asking too much, especially if they're savvy enough to go with a solution that only utilizes more resources when needed.

There's no fix to this. There's always going to be a mad rush to buy them. There's always going to be flippers. You either get lucky or you don't.

Why not timed editions of ink-jet versions of prints? This way people can get the designs on their wall, but it's not a super-fancy silkscreen.

IronRinn

Simply having infrastructure to properly handle the load during drops would alleviate nearly all of the complaints. I don't think that's asking too much, especially if they're savvy enough to go with a solution that only utilizes more resources when needed.

Going to continue this age old conversation, if only because it drives omgkitty nuts.

From this interview in 2012:

Movies.com: When a sale hits these days, it's always an instant clustercuss and the servers take a huge hit. What steps are you guys taking to solve that problem?

Justin: We pay the most money... when we go to web designers and we say we're paying this amount, they lose their minds. Their like, "Nobody pays that amount of money a month!" We were on six and now we're on ten servers, and we have an independent web guy that oversees our website. We've got another group out of Sacramento that does stuff, and then we have the main company that hosts everything. We maxed out their service plan. They had to make a new service plan for us. There's nothing out there that can support it. If there was a perfect site out there, we'd definitely use it.

Billion-dollar companies-- Nike, for example, their sites are crashing when they release Jordans and they're a billion-dollar company. It happens to other companies that sell out instantly, and we're even talking to some of their developers. We're actively looking for people to build something that doesn't even exist so it can support the traffic. And even then, people are saying don't expect it to be perfect. When you have thousands of people refreshing-- we almost have a million page views a day because people just sit there refreshing all day, so that's a huge, huge hit on a website.

Mitch: We're really trying. That's not to say we have unprecedented traffic, that's just kind of a limitation of ecommerce in general. We have talked to a number of web designers and it's a matter of so many transactions happening at once when the sale actually happens and it hits the database. The site can handle thousands of people just sitting on it until the sale happens, but then once the database gets pinged when the sale happens... like Justin was saying, everyone in this business we've talked to has said, "I don't know what to do to help you." We've been looking all over.

Justin: Honestly, for years. And the problem is if we move to something and it ends up being worse, we're stuck with that. We know the limitations. People are mad because they had it in their cart and couldn't get it, but we're upfront about that. There's a disclaimer on every page that says, "You do not have this poster unless you checkout and get a confirmation." And yet, people still act surprised when they have it in their cart but still don't have it. We try to tell everyone, super up front, this is how the site works, this is what's going to happen.

It happens to a lot of sites out there. Like we talked about earlier, Mitch and I tried to buy Jordans and were literally on their site for four hours. On Jordan drop nights, Finish Line, Footlocker, all those sites are crashed. Ours you can see it, theirs is down; white screen, this site does not exist-- and those are billion dollar companies. That type of traffic on any site is going to cause some kind of slowing or some kind of weird reaction from when you're on it on a non-drop day.

We know it happens. We've had artists, like Olly Moss, see if he can do it, and he's never been able to do it. I remember one time I told Mitch when we were going to release the poster, and he tried to do it and couldn't get one. There's no trick to it. It's random drop times, and it's totally random if you can get one or not. We're trying to make the best of what we can with what we have right now until we can get something built, but even when they say, "Yes, we can build you a custom site, but it won't be perfect and it will still slow down." I think the average the web guys said last time was, on a giant drop day like Avengers stuff, we're averaging 200 transactions a minute and they said they've never seen that before.

Mitch: I think the bottom line is we're trying our very best to find a better solution, we're just not finding answers from the people we've talked to

Why not timed editions of ink-jet versions of prints? This way people can get the designs on their wall, but it's not a super-fancy silkscreen.

This is another proposed "fix" that always comes up in this conversation. It's because many, if not the majority of people, are interested in these not only for how they look but because not everyone can have one and Mondo is interested in making things that not everyone can have.

omgkitty

Going to continue this age old conversation, if only because it drives omgkitty nuts.

From this interview in 2012:

Yeah I've been through this conversation several times on here and EB. I had the same complaints when I started. The staggering is new, and it doesn't help. I would honestly like to hear Mondo explain why having a cart system is a bad idea. It doesn't need to be 15 or 30 minutes or whatever, but maybe just like a 2 minute timeout kinda how Ticketmaster does it. There's no real perfect answer, and I don't think it will ever just work. Given the art and artist, they sometimes have 500 prints for thousands of people, and people are going to get their feelings hurt. Get over it and pony up the money if you want the print so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom