• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natlebug

Neo Member
I managed to get an Englert as well. Seeing a refund would ruin my day... fingers crossed.

Edit: I got a refund for Englert's print :( this sucks.... If anyone ended up getting it and doesn't want it. Please contact me, I'd be more than happy to buy it.

krae_man

Last Unreal Estate 3 print is up:

GkZYw6R.jpg1

FvBOzMI.gif

http://spoke-art.myshopify.com/collections/tim-doyles-unreal-estate

I snagged the GITD one. Looks cooler I think.

LaneDS

Going to continue this age old conversation, if only because it drives omgkitty nuts.

From this interview in 2012:

This is another proposed "fix" that always comes up in this conversation. It's because many, if not the majority of people, are interested in these not only for how they look but because not everyone can have one and Mondo is interested in making things that not everyone can have.

Hadn't read that before, and it was interesting so thank you for that.

Based just on what I'm reading there, they were using a set number of servers back in 2012. All I was suggesting was going with a scalable solution, where VMs will spool up or spool down (or have that done ahead of a drop) that will more appropriately handle the spike. There are a lot of commercially available solutions out there that do this. How much Mondo pays, or is willing to pay, for their infrastructure I obviously cannot comment on, and such a solution might simply not be worth it to them. Considering they're only actually selling product so infrequently and in such a small amount, it is hard to guess what kind of profits they're looking at after everyone gets their cut.

I don't think having better infrastructure or even something like a cart reserve system like omgkitty mentioned makes the prints any less rare or sought after... it just alleviates that frustration of being there and ready to go and being denied simply due to resource factors (whether on your end or Mondo's).

ohkay

I don't think having better infrastructure or even something like a cart reserve system like omgkitty mentioned makes the prints any less rare or sought after... it just alleviates that frustration of being there and ready to go and being denied simply due to resource factors (whether on your end or Mondo's).
People are going to be angry with Mondo regardless of their experiences with the site. They're just projecting their anger with their inability to purchase a print onto the Mondo store's infrastructure. If the store had no problems, there would be something else to complain about. That's the nature of buying limited edition items. Not everyone can have them, and those that can't will find a reason to be angry.

LaneDS

People are going to be angry with Mondo regardless of their experiences with the site. They're just projecting their anger with their inability to purchase a print onto the Mondo store's infrastructure. If the store had no problems, there would be something else to complain about. That's the nature of buying limited edition items. Not everyone can have them, and those that can't will find a reason to be angry.

I agree that people will always find something to bitch about. And when you're selling out everything instantly nearly every time, there is little incentive as a company to try and remove things that people complain about, like transactional servers not being up to snuff. Would be nice to see Mondo go with a different solution, but a different solution probably means greater cost and from their perspective their is no benefit to that aside from less complaining.

ohkay

I agree that people will always find something to bitch about. And when you're selling out everything instantly nearly every time, there is little incentive as a company to try and remove things that people complain about, like transactional servers not being up to snuff. Would be nice to see Mondo go with a different solution, but a different solution probably means greater cost and from their perspective their is no benefit to that aside from less complaining.
And everyone's on an equal footing too since we all have to deal with it. As long as the whole server isn't crashing and making it so no one can get through, I don't see them doing anything about it.

Sigma722

Traveling to LA makin me miss all kinds of drops. On the bright side, I just got out of The Wind Rises, and it was incredibleeeeeeeeee.

I feel like the best way to do anything like this is the way RATM did tickets for their free show: have a period where people can sign up and register for tickets/prints/whatever and then do them at random.

People will still bitch of course, but it's at least fairer to those with bad internet/time management.

I_Am_CC

So are we expecting drops from Mondo tonight? Seems odd that nothing (to my knowledge) has been said yet from them. No hints or teases. I'll probably spend the night F5ing just in case there are any surprises.

Rinemie

Neo Member
If anyone is interested, I'm looking to sell my Durieux Iron Giant. $550 shipped in the US.

You know, I wouldn't even bother trying to sell your stuff here if you are going to ask for inflated market value cost especially since if you can get it done here you'll make a larger cut than ebay, etc.
I know everyone has different opinions on this but this is just mines.

ohkay

Agreed. I love a lot of Tong's work, but these do nothing for me. Being two of my favorite Pixar movies, my expectations are high for a print from Up and Wall-E. Here's to hoping Whalen takes a stab at these.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I like a lot of the little details in the Up (in the windows etc) - and I imagine the colors will slay in person. I may still grab it, depending on what other Up prints are there.

IronRinn

Perillo

Seeing a trend hinted at by the Taylor, as awesome as it looks (this one is pleasant enough, as well). Namely that Disney is approving artwork drawn within their animation constraints. Layout/composition (Edit: and color palette to a lesser extent, I suppose) seems to be the only area where the artist's style comes through. Probably explains why Shaw Ryan and Danger were rejected.

Meier

I like the Up one. The Rescuers is fantastic but it almost looks like it could be a cel from the movie. A little "safe" if you will.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
You know, I wouldn't even bother trying to sell your stuff here if you are going to ask for inflated market value cost especially since if you can get it done here you'll make a larger cut than ebay, etc.
I know everyone has different opinions on this but this is just mines.

Uh. Of the seven sales on EB since December, three of them are through Ebay. The four through EB range from $450-$550.

I doubt anyone on GAF is interested in paying that high a price for it, but not everyone here visits EB and I'd rather give people in this thread the opportunity first.

Rinemie

Neo Member
Uh. Of the seven sales on EB since December, three of them are through Ebay. The four through EB range from $450-$550.

I doubt anyone on GAF is interested in paying that high a price for it, but not everyone here visits EB and I'd rather give people in this thread the opportunity first.

As i said its my opinion, clearly you disagree and im cool with that. Anyways I see a ebay listing for 499.99.
I'm not trying to grill you here, I know the print is def worth something but I feel we're all friends here in this thread and trying making top dollar isn't what we're aiming for here IMO

omgkitty

Seeing a trend hinted at by the Taylor, as awesome as it looks (this one is pleasant enough, as well). Namely that Disney is approving artwork drawn within their animation constraints. Layout/composition (Edit: and color palette to a lesser extent, I suppose) seems to be the only area where the artist's style comes through. Probably explains why Shaw and Danger were rejected.

It was Jay Ryan, not Jay Shaw who didn't make it.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Man, I wish they'd get Eng to do more popular stuff. Most if his stuff is awesome, but he usually gets stuck doing more obscure films. More things like Argo / Silver Surfer please.

omgkitty

Man, I wish they'd get Eng to do more popular stuff. Most if his stuff is awesome, but he usually gets stuck doing more obscure films. More things like Argo / Silver Surfer please.

Pretty sure he got to pick what to do. Only thing I'd have liked different is if he did TRON instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom