• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
20150316_212039-1_zpszcruk4lf.jpg

That 3/4" ended up costing me a bundle, but this one is good enough to warrant some extra care.
That said, I'm completely out of wall space and it would have been nice to have standard size posters you can rotate in and out in the same frames. But I'm a Horkey collector, so I have a pile of custom frames leaned up against the wall in the spare bedroom instead.

Instead of purchasing a new frame, I'm probably going to just purchase a center cut matboard to make up the difference in dead space.

The print looks gorgeous in person though.

LaneDS

The Olly Moss Firewatch set of three arrived today and are, as expected, great. I think "Defend" is going to get framed and live at work with me.

LaneDS

The Black Keys are on my list of bands I wish I enjoyed because they have such a wealth of amazing prints done for their shows. That holo-foil one I bet looks amazing in person.

IronRinn

Looks like Bottleneck's GID show "When The Lights Go Out 3" will be 4/17. Newsletter soon, I assume.

Edit: Also, solo Raid71 show in May with a third Blade Runner print.

Hello GAF, my first post!

I recently bought my first every print, the Badlands Mondo print, I've been doing research on how to frame it and have come across so many different answers, like not to use glass. I went to local framing shop and the guy didn't know what I was talking about with not using glass for prints and said it was cost around $150-200 for a good frame job. Is that the normal price and what kind of frame and cover should I be using? thanks

IronRinn

Hello GAF, my first post!

I recently bought my first every print, the Badlands Mondo print, I've been doing research on how to frame it and have come across so many different answers, like not to use glass. I went to local framing shop and the guy didn't know what I was talking about with not using glass for prints and said it was cost around $150-200 for a good frame job. Is that the normal price and what kind of frame and cover should I be using? thanks

First off: Welcome to GAF!

Most people use plexiglass for framing now (especially for large posters) because it is more shatter-resistant than glass and it is also much lighter. The biggest thing with whatever you use is to keep some space between the glass and the artwork, either with spacers or a mat (since I assume you're not going to be switching artwork out of the frame) and acid free materials for the backing board and mat if they use one. $150-$200 seems like a pretty good deal for a frame job on a 24" x 36" poster. A lot cheaper than I can find around me, for sure.

Expresso Beans has a whole framing section of their forum, and this thread is a good place to find answers to almost all questions one could have.

LaneDS

Hm, only reason I don't use glass on everything is cost. Depending on the size of the print and the options you picked for how to frame it those prices he quoted aren't ridiculous (first number I was quoted for a recent frame job was over $600, which I balked at and changed options until it was in the $200 range).

I'd say depending on your attachment to the print and willingness to invest further into it, plus of course your budget, should be what determines what you pay to frame something. Nothing wrong with going the acrylic route or something cheaper just do your research beforehand I'd say.

IronRinn

Hm, only reason I don't use glass on everything is cost. Depending on the size of the print and the options you picked for how to frame it those prices he quoted aren't ridiculous (first number I was quoted for a recent frame job was over $600, which I balked at and changed options until it was in the $200 range).

I'd say depending on your attachment to the print and willingness to invest further into it, plus of course your budget, should be what determines what you pay to frame something. Nothing wrong with going the acrylic route or something cheaper just do your research beforehand I'd say.

I always thought glass was cheaper?

LaneDS

I thought that was going to be a joke link!

In my experience the framing place I use offers conservation clear glass and some museum grade glass, with the latter being reaaaally expensive especially on custom frame jobs. My assumption was that both of those are typically going to be a lot more expensive (and better quality/less reflective or prone to glare) than something you'd find in a premade at Michaels or something (do those use a different, non-acrylic plastic?). I'm not sure how they compare in price or quality to the acrylic that you'd get from a place like AmericanFrame though, and am interested to hear what others think on the matter.

IronRinn

I thought that was going to be a joke link!

In my experience the framing place I use offers conservation clear glass and some museum grade glass, with the latter being reaaaally expensive especially on custom frame jobs. My assumption was that both of those are typically going to be a lot more expensive (and better quality/less reflective or prone to glare) than something you'd find in a premade at Michaels or something (do those use a different, non-acrylic plastic?). I'm not sure how they compare in price or quality to the acrylic that you'd get from a place like AmericanFrame though, and am interested to hear what others think on the matter.

Yeah, on this I am completely out of my depth. I would assume that museum grade acrylic would be even more expensive. And, with acrylic being petroleum based, the price fluctuates with the price of oil as well. If anyone has any price comparisons or experience with either I too would be interested in hearing them.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Most people use plexiglass for framing now (especially for large posters) because it is more shatter-resistant than glass and it is also much lighter.

The reason I use plexi now. I had a cheapy frame with glass shipped to me and when I got it, it sounded like a box of legos. It was not fun opening and cleaning it.

First off: Welcome to GAF!

Most people use plexiglass for framing now (especially for large posters) because it is more shatter-resistant than glass and it is also much lighter. The biggest thing with whatever you use is to keep some space between the glass and the artwork, either with spacers or a mat (since I assume you're not going to be switching artwork out of the frame) and acid free materials for the backing board and mat if they use one. $150-$200 seems like a pretty good deal for a frame job on a 24" x 36" poster. A lot cheaper than I can find around me, for sure.

Expresso Beans has a whole framing section of their forum, and this thread is a good place to find answers to almost all questions one could have.

Thanks, what about colors fading? Do I just need to keep it out of sunlight or do I need to a particular cover

IronRinn

Thanks, what about colors fading? Do I just need to keep it out of sunlight or do I need to a particular cover

You can get glass or plexi with a UV protective coating on it (Edit: it has a slight yellow tint to it) but regardless, I wouldn't hang in direct sunlight or, if you do, rotate it with another framed print every few months.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I've got museum glass on a bunch of my framed joints, but does plexi offer the same type of protection/quality? And are there different styles of plexi, or is it just standardized across the board?

Framing is genuinely my favorite part of this hobby--shame it's not a frequent part of it for me.

E: Ah, Rinn coming through with the info!

IronRinn

Well, I for one am shocked that it turned out to be
jstevenson's.

Looks great, man.

@harSon Congrats on the Heavy Metal. Great print.

Trasher

Oh wow, awesome!

I'm so jealous I missed out. It's such a beautiful print, and that framing is gorgeous as well. Not to mention I'm kind of infatuated with Kilian Eng's work...

I'm not an Ico fan so I didn't opt in on that one, but I think it's one of Eng's best. It doesn't strike you as his work right away. Was a cool thing to see him take on that subject.

IronRinn

Oh wow, awesome!

I'm so jealous I missed out. It's such a beautiful print, and that framing is gorgeous as well. Not to mention I'm kind of infatuated with Kilian Eng's work...
You might want to PM Mockingbird, he may have an extra. Worth a shot.

harSon

Banned
I'm not an Ico fan so I didn't opt in on that one, but I think it's one of Eng's best. It doesn't strike you as his work right away. Was a cool thing to see him take on that subject.

Reminds me of Mobius - which isn't surprising since he's a huge inspiration for Kilian. Looks freaking gorgeous though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Updates on Commissions:

Fancy-Poster Gaf Commision #1 Special (Presented by firehawk12): Akari & Aria by Jasmin Darnell

Hand-numbered, limited edition 8"x10" giclee. Paper is still to be determined. Estimated at around $18 + shipping. Printed by either Giclee Today or Disney Fine Art/Collector's Edition.

Scan248_zps19a0a0ab.jpg

some adjustments will be made per suggestion of firehawk. then will go into coloring.
Okay, after a long wait, this is as ready as it will be. So here is what the poster will look like:
unnamed_zps4c59f986.jpg

Here is a list of people who said they were interested at the time, and I'll be PMing them to see if they are still interested given the long time since the commission was started, but if anyone else is interested please let me know and I'll pass on the final numbers to Mockingbird for printing.
1. firehawk12
2. darkblade77
3. cajunator
4. Mr.Jeff
5. Mockingbird
6. Haly
7. AmethystEnd
8. umbra
9. ZachDeKoromaru
10. Lambtron
11. Chariot
12. MikeHattsu
13. Theonik
14. wonzo
15. SDBurton
16. Mokoi
17. Scrooge McDuck
18. omlet
19. Kurt (who is not on GAF).
20. phoenix296

Thanks Mockingbird for your patience and time on this!

cajunator

Banned
Okay, after a long wait, this is as ready as it will be. So here is what the poster will look like:
unnamed_zps4c59f986.jpg

Here is a list of people who said they were interested at the time, and I'll be PMing them to see if they are still interested given the long time since the commission was started, but if anyone else is interested please let me know and I'll pass on the final numbers to Mockingbird for printing.

Thanks Mockingbird for your patience and time on this!

In mah veins

Still in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom