• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

Steroyd

Blablurn said:
Buy PES 2008, add me to your PSN list (my name is DimiKun) and we'll have a lot of fun :)

Hold the phone, this is Konami and online we're talking about, there's a high probability of a region lock. :(

Srider

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
found this on grcade :lol

10xsg3m.gif

he doesn't even touch the ball, then you see pro's limited animation system at work. it's about time they stepped into the new generation.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not that the game has bad animation, it's just how it strings animation together, and sometimes really funny/buggy choices in the end product.

When you look at the animation individually, it's all good, and maybe even some of the best in the series. When you look at it as a whole, well, I just really hope they fix these small issues in the final game.

-viper-

Banned
Am I the only one who hates the shooting mechanics? They're fucking awful.

I've been in 10 great positions to score i.e. in the clear with no one around me, and didn't score. IRL, they would all been a goal.

If I use 20% power, the shot is too weak and too low. If I use 40% power, the shot is sky high, and weak. WTF?

Is is even possible to hit a hard, straight shot?

I preferred PES2008's shooting mechanics. The PS2 games had the best shooting mechanics.

These shooting mechanics are far too unrealistic. Every fucking shot is weak and either goes high or straight to the keeper no matter who I shoot with. Whether that is Tevez to Gerrard to Puyol.

I did manage to score a few goals, but they were mainly headers, with the exception with one shot from Hleb. It was from 25 yards, and the pace of the shot was embarrassing. I was surprised it went in.

guidop

Gamecocks625 said:
I was just looking at a HD video of PES6 for the 360, and it actually looks a ton better than PES 2009. The animations have really gone downhill since then.

Nice video, by the way.

The animations in pes 6 are very poor, Pes 09 is alot better in every aspect especially the dribbling. In 6 its pretty impossible to dribble past opponents i can only remember ever beating 3 players and that would only happened a handful of times. I just played 6 then played the demo of 09 and 09 is definitely superior. The only part that is better in 6 is the through balls they hardly come off in 09 and never really put you in a dominate/scoring position.

-viper-

Banned
I think the ball speed is unrealistically slow. Is is even possible to smash a ball in the back of the net? Every single shot seems to be a floating shot.

I pulled out a copy of PES6 on the PS2 and it is superior in many ways. PES2009 feels extremely weird to play. The tempo is far too slow. The animations look weird and I don't particularly like the new dribbling system. The shooting is the worst thing out of the demo though.

Heck, I enjoyed PES2008 on the PS3 more, despite having a quick game speed.

I REALLY do hope this is the GC Leipzig build; the build no one liked.

Haunted

Wax Free Vanilla said:

10xsg3m.gif

he doesn't even touch the ball, then you see pro's limited animation system at work. it's about time they stepped into the new generation.
They didn't get completely rid of collision detection glitches in any sports game these days (sadly), but yeah, that's pretty fucking horrible close-up. :lol

guidop

-viper- said:
I think the ball speed is unrealistically slow. Is is even possible to smash a ball in the back of the net? Every single shot seems to be a floating shot.

I pulled out a copy of PES6 on the PS2 and it is superior in many ways. PES2009 feels extremely weird to play. The tempo is far too slow. The animations look weird and I don't particularly like the new dribbling system. The shooting is the worst thing out of the demo though.

Heck, I enjoyed PES2008 on the PS3 more, despite having a quick game speed.

I REALLY do hope this is the GC Leipzig build; the build no one liked.

I was talking about pes 6 on 360 and trust me 09 is alot better then that game. Also it is possible to blast a shot you have to time is right and be on the run. I hate the penalty system, fifa's system is so much better. It was annoying that the demo didn't end with penalties or have extra time but when i actually had a couple i realised why they didn't have penalties at the end :lol :lol :lol

dk_

After playing both the PES 2009 demo and Fifa 09 full version, I decided not to buy PES this year. The first time without PES since ... since forever! It just does too many things wrong!

ElyrionX

Wax Free Vanilla said:

10xsg3m.gif

:lol

I'm really on the fence here. I'm not buying FIFA for sure but I'm not so sure about PES.

Srider

Banned
After playing more the demo, there is something I noticed that PES09 really does right this time around, and that is fatigue.

I tend to use Man U since they are my favorite team, and obviously Ronaldo is a key player in my offense. My game consist mostly of slow build up around the center and back, with heavy use of overlapping on the right side to use Ronaldo's speed. Basically after every match, around the hour mark, Ronaldo's stamina stands at less than 10%, compared to everyone else on the team who has at least twice as much, reflecting my actual usage of pace among them.

This is something I've talked about before as a solution to compliment the speed/defense adjustments to deal with certain players being over powered. With the way fatigue is handled in PES09, if I make heavy use of players with pace, they better count in goals, cause they will not be able to keep that up until the end. If I play bad defense and make my defenders chase the ball all the time, they will not be able to keep that up until the end.

Obviously each individual's stat plays a part in this, and PES09 really do a good job at reflecting this difference among players. I use Rooney's running/dribbling ability up the middle just as much, and also for defense in mid field, but at the hour mark, Rooney will have more stamina left than Ronaldo. This forces me to be smart using each of my players in both offensive and defensive plays. I thought it was a really nice touch.

Blablurn

dk_ said:
After playing both the PES 2009 demo and Fifa 09 full version, I decided not to buy PES this year. The first time without PES since ... since forever! It just does too many things wrong!

:'( Don't be a Klinsmann :(

Chris R

I might be able to enjoy the demo more if I didn't have to watch the bullshit movie clip after every stinking game :lol

As a PES/ISS veteran I think the series has become extremely stagnant, I have bought FIFA 09 and it really is amazing, the closing thing to real football you can get. PES is too...."unreal", there's no jostling for possession, midfield battles...long passing is too straight and fast and you cannot produce looping balls. It's probably fun for a drunken party game but for a sim FIFA outshades it in every aspect, gameplay, presentation, online and licenses.

Blablurn

rhfb said:
I might be able to enjoy the demo more if I didn't have to watch the bullshit movie clip after every stinking game :lol

quit the game in the injury time. it will bring you back to the start screen.

Chris R

Blablurn said:
quit the game in the injury time. it will bring you back to the start screen.
omg thanks for this. Me and my brother played three games and towards the end of the third game I was finally getting somewhat used to the controls and almost scored a few times... were going to play more just the video took too much time. Now the beatdown can commence.

spwolf

Srider said:
After playing more the demo, there is something I noticed that PES09 really does right this time around, and that is fatigue.

I tend to use Man U since they are my favorite team, and obviously Ronaldo is a key player in my offense. My game consist mostly of slow build up around the center and back, with heavy use of overlapping on the right side to use Ronaldo's speed. Basically after every match, around the hour mark, Ronaldo's stamina stands at less than 10%, compared to everyone else on the team who has at least twice as much, reflecting my actual usage of pace among them.

This is something I've talked about before as a solution to compliment the speed/defense adjustments to deal with certain players being over powered. With the way fatigue is handled in PES09, if I make heavy use of players with pace, they better count in goals, cause they will not be able to keep that up until the end. If I play bad defense and make my defenders chase the ball all the time, they will not be able to keep that up until the end.

Obviously each individual's stat plays a part in this, and PES09 really do a good job at reflecting this difference among players. I use Rooney's running/dribbling ability up the middle just as much, and also for defense in mid field, but at the hour mark, Rooney will have more stamina left than Ronaldo. This forces me to be smart using each of my players in both offensive and defensive plays. I thought it was a really nice touch.

definetly - if you keep running with the same player in 09, they will tire more than they did in 08... and also, did people notice overtime is now more than 01 minutes? :)

-viper-

Banned
Who else hates the ugly HUD? PES2008 on PS2 had a way better HUD, even though it looked outdated by design, it just looked cooler, and simpler.

Kikujiro

The Chosen said:
As a PES/ISS veteran I think the series has become extremely stagnant, I have bought FIFA 09 and it really is amazing, the closing thing to real football you can get. PES is too...."unreal", there's no jostling for possession, midfield battles...long passing is too straight and fast and you cannot produce looping balls. It's probably fun for a drunken party game but for a sim FIFA outshades it in every aspect, gameplay, presentation, online and licenses.

Sorry, but no.

Did you really write this post or is it some sort of copy/paste, because I've seen the exact same arguments over the internet in english and italian. The better part is that everyone starts with the 'As a PES/ISS veteran'.
PES did it wrong 2 times, Fifa was never good until last year (and still is not great, there are still a lot of issues), yet it seems PES was shit from the beginning (from WE3 to WE10 they were all the best you could get).

It seems they've added the no-look:lol
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eaVbNeJU2Jc

And some nice tricks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPgNwkrRDK0

ty_hot

I love the demo! Can't stop playing it!
Last year I bought PES 2008 because one of my friends bought too, but the online mode was ridiculous! Then I wnt to EURO, amazing game with solid online.
Before the demo i was goint to buy FIFA 09, but they made a great improvement in all aspects of the game (AI is surprisingly smart) and I expect too see a good online mode in this year edition. :D

Anyone have a list with all licenses they get?

Sry for bad english :/

I actually had fun with the demo tonight for the first time. I've started to see how much better the AI is at attacking than in the FIFA 09 demo (PS3) and the feeling of scoring a goal is still unrivaled. I'm irritated at the sound that the ball makes when kicked. It's horrid and needs to be changed. It sounds like someone is punting a beachball, not a soccer ball.

With that said, I'll be axiously awaiting feedback from the European guys when the full version is released in two weeks.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Been playing the demo for the last few days and while I suppose it can still grow on me like 2008 did it just feel extremely unfinished... at least I hope that's what it is because if they release it like this I just can't see myself buying it.

PES, for as long as I've been playing it, has always had extremely tight controls but 2009 feels unresponsive and the scripting feels more intrusive than ever. Passing is completely broken IMO. While you can argue it was sometimes too easy to make a perfect pass in earlier versions I feel the computer sometimes just does it's own thing in 2009. All to often I find that passes don't go to the players I intended - especially easy ones. That rarely happened in earlier versions.

Right now I'm very disappointed.

F#A#Oo

Banned
cybamerc said:
Been playing the demo for the last few days and while I suppose it can still grow on me like 2008 did it just feel extremely unfinished... at least I hope that's what it is because if they release it like this I just can't see myself buying it.

PES, for as long as I've been playing it, has always had extremely tight controls but 2009 feels unresponsive and the scripting feels more intrusive than ever. Passing is completely broken IMO. While you can argue it was sometimes too easy to make a perfect pass in earlier versions I feel the computer sometimes just does it's own thing in 2009. All to often I find that passes don't go to the players I intended - especially easy ones. That rarely happened in earlier versions.

Right now I'm very disappointed.

So you don't like the fact that you have to actually work to make passes happen? :D :lol

spwolf

Kikujiro said:
Sorry, but no.

Did you really write this post or is it some sort of copy/paste, because I've seen the exact same arguments over the internet in english and italian. The better part is that everyone starts with the 'As a PES/ISS veteran'.
PES did it wrong 2 times, Fifa was never good until last year (and still is not great, there are still a lot of issues), yet it seems PES was shit from the beginning (from WE3 to WE10 they were all the best you could get).

It seems they've added the no-look:lol
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eaVbNeJU2Jc

And some nice tricks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPgNwkrRDK0

funniest thing when people claim... PES5 was the best... PES6 was the best!
lol.

I remember how in PES5/6 your player would always try to get the ball automatically, even if it is going to go out and out is going to be yours... but no, they would touch it anyway... So many issues like that. Or being able to score in 6 ways, and thats it... gotta love things like that. :lol

I think most of those people played pes 4 times in their life...

F#A#Oo

Banned
{Mike} said:
Isn't Toni with Bayern Munich? That's my team in FIFA 08. Note : I'm not up-to-date with soccer news.

Yes he is... :)

Oh and Graf Nudu when he doesn't play with Munich he plays for Italy obviously. :D

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
F#A#Oo said:
So you don't like the fact that you have to actually work to make passes happen? :D :lol
I don't mind that at all. You have to build up plays in FIFA as well but it just feels so much more intuitive. In PES the AI just seems to do all sorts of random stuff. I may intend to pass the ball to the sideways nearest player but instead the ball is played forward to a teamplayer surrounded by opponents. You rarely experience that in PES 2008. You almost always feel in control.

Dribling also feel weird. I think it's great that you can't just run past opponent after opponent anymore but again I just don't feel I have proper control. In FIFA you can't just run with the ball either but the game controls so much smoother.

I'm no FIFA fanboy. I've only played PES for the past many years but I was much more impressed with the FIFA 09 demo than PES 2009 which feels broken to me.

The Chosen said:
there's no jostling for possession, midfield battles...

After some time with the demo I can say this is absolutely false in my experience. There's realistic loose balls, battles over possession, players bumping and colliding, getting knocked off the ball etc. The ball and player physics are spot on in these circumstances. The game does a very nice job of capturing the more physical parts of the game, just as WE9/PES5 did.

As far as not being able to produce "looping" long passes, as a self proclaimed PES veteran you should know holding R2 on the pass gives the ball plenty of loft.

F#A#Oo

Banned
cybamerc said:
I don't mind that at all. You have to build up plays in FIFA as well but it just feels so much more intuitive. In PES the AI just seems to do all sorts of random stuff. I may intend to pass the ball to the sideways nearest player but instead the ball is played forward to a teamplayer surrounded by opponents. You rarely experience that in PES 2008. You almost always feel in control.

Dribling also feel weird. I think it's great that you can't just run past opponent after opponent anymore but again I just don't feel I have proper control. In FIFA you can't just run with the ball either but the game controls so much smoother.

I'm no FIFA fanboy. I've only played PES for the past many years but I was much more impressed with the FIFA 09 demo than PES 2009 which feels broken to me.

Well...then clearly Fifa is for you then...I must admit Fifa definatelt rivals PES if not betters it in many depts...

I personally struggle to get myself away from PES as there is just something about it gameplay wise that agree's with me.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've been playing the demo more and more using the demo tweak so I can play longer matches. I only play 15 minute matches now, I'll save 10 minute matches for multiplayer and master league.

And I LOVE the game! Apart from a couple of issues (the main one being the freezing freekick/corner kick taker), this is certainly so far the best PES I've ever played! I was always a big fan of both PES5 and 6, but before the demo I played a lot of PES5. I feel now is the time to retire PES5/6 PS2/PC and let PES2009 take its place. I can't wait for the game to come out now, and for my brother to come home from vacation so I can play against him. :D

So yes, after being somewhat disappointed at first, I now can't stop playing the damn thing. If you give up on the PES09 demo after only a couple of matches, you need to get the demo tweak, play some longer matches, get used to the feel and you'll get there too. It required some getting used to, but in the end it payed off. Shooting felt weird and heavy, passing was bad, dribbling didn't feel right. But it clicked eventually (like so many other PES games in the past, it takes some time to "feel" the game). This is PES at its best, imo.

F#A#Oo

Banned
StarEye said:
I've been playing the demo more and more using the demo tweak so I can play longer matches. I only play 15 minute matches now, I'll save 10 minute matches for multiplayer and master league.

Demo tweak? explain now!!!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Much better than last year, and I enjoy it more than Fifa09. Still disappointing though. Soccer games used to addict me totally. Not this gen.

Top Bottom