• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

FF_VIII

Banned
Reading through this thread;

http://forums.pesfan.com/showthread.php?t=207313&page=11

It seems they still haven't fixed online :(

No, it is indefintely laggy at some points.

Its not teleporting like it was.

Its not button lag either (think button delay on fifa).

Its picture lag. And some player was kinda floating on the other side of the pitch ..

Apparently its not as bad as last year (which was ridiculous, was never going to be) but its still pretty laggy at some points.

I will try to find out more info, or get the dude to post here, its not me who has the game its a fella Ulf I was in Paris with for ESWC, hes one of the top players in Sweden so got the full game a bit ago as a prize sorta thing.

No buy for me if they haven't fixed it.

Edit mode detailed:

Carl @ WENB said:
So its been a rollercoaster few months. News, rumours and opinions have been surfacing left right and centre and sometimes the facts can get a little skewed. Thankfuly with PES2009 firmly in hand I can help you guys start to make sence of it all… at least where editing is involved!

So… here it is. A comprehensive breakdown of all the editing ins and outs;

- There are a total of 40 slots for club embelems (These are 127×127px and can be imported from HDD and Playstation Eye, or of cause you can use the pixel paint fuction).

- There are also alot more slots for kit sponsors, the size of these cover the majority of the front of the shirts and alow for some creative template solutions (These are imported the same way as embelems but save in the same format as last year) I have yet to hit the upper limit of these and I am currently at 10 designs so all is looking good so far.

- All aspects of player creation are the same (i.e no option for untuckng shirts, though shirts will untuck throughout the game)

- Templates are greatly improved over last year, with designs for most of last seasons styles, unfortunatly this is actually one of the problems as I am sruggling to create an Arsenal kit. There just aren’t enough options around the sholder and sleeve areas. All in all though its still a massive impovement

- Unable to edit boots

- No Shark heads found as of yet.

I have yet to import any chants so I will save feedback on that for another post. Editing music is as simple as creating a playlist on your XMB and then selecting that playlist wihin the game. You are able to assign certain mp3s to certain menus and modes also!

You can also expect some screenshots of my progress tomorrow evening, I have already added embelems for the entire Premier league and done kits for a few key clubs

All in all i’m impressed by PES this year, the game as a whole is greatly improved, and I can’t wait to get back to it.

spwolf

custom music is nice for PS3 owners, although who cares but why the hell not?
Now chants importing is pretty darn cool and i cant wait to see how will that work in practice.... it seems that those save files will be mighty and cant wait :)

Steroyd

awesome can the music play during matches or is that too much.

*creates a sport playlist*

Trophies? In-game achievements like last year?

tmaynard

Just tried the PC demo after finding out how gimped the Fifa 09 PC version is. Really enjoyed it and the faster game play really stood out and made it a lot more fun.

Does anyone know why Gamestop.com or Amazon doesn't have the PC version listed?

One really neat feature is how you can edit the crowd chants. Not only can you import crowd chants in mp3 form, but you can also assign different types of regional chants for your team. Say for instance, the US national team has a mediocre crowd chant assigned to the team. I can go in and totally change the chants to match a European crowd chant, or a South American pattern. Go to roughly the 1:00 minute mark.

I love how you can thoroughly customize this year's game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0WBn5PVE0

Steroyd

That is awesome hope to hear authentic Liverpool chants... I wonder if I can download them from the internet somewhere.

Blablurn, you know what you need to do...

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/news/option-file-help-us-with-bundesliga/

Hey guys!

I’ve been working very hard on squads and renaming all the unlicenced Spanish and German teams in the game, wile Carl has been getting the kits ready.

I’ve finally come to edit Bundesliga and the German national team…and I need your help!

Similar to the previous posts about help with the Bundesliga, what I’m after are specific details that I feel only German footy fans could answer. First off, here’s the list of German teams I’m importing into the game:

1. FC Köln
Arminia Bielefeld
Bayer Leverkusen
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Borussia Monchengladbach
Eintracht Frankfurt
Energie Cottbus
Hamburg SV
Hannover 96
Hertha Berlin
Karlsruhe
Schalke 04
TSG Hoffenheim
VfB Stuttgart
VfL Bochum
VfL Wolfsburg
Werder Bremen

The help I need is anyone who is a fan of the teams above to email me this:

1)Team formation
2)Team starting line-up
3)*IMPORTANT* Any players in the squad that play for a national team
4)Captains, FK takers etc

If you can help, please send these details to adybhatti@gmail.com

PLEASE DONT SEND ME ANY INFO ON ANY OTHER TEAMS, I HAVE DONE THE REST!

Thank you!

sevanig

Banned
Having played Fifa games all my life, I tried both Fifa 09 and PES 09 demos on my Ps3, and I must say that PES 09 is the better game, Fifa just got too complicated for its own good :(

And how short are the halves in the Fifa demo!!!

tmaynard

I called my local GameStop and they don't have the same listed at all supposedly.

I'd love to preorder online, but there isn't any US stores listing the PC version. Is it not coming to the states or something?

If so, is there a nice site I could import it from?

ourumov

Wow...

After reading the Spanish review I am kinda shocked. I was enjoying this 2009 edition a lot more than 2008 yet they consider it to be worse.
They really attack the animations, the defence mistakes and in general the fact that the game really awards offensive strategies.

sneaky77

they are really attacking Konami for being stuck on the ps2 era it seems

is also getting in them about the ball physics being totally inconsistent, like the short passes are too heavy and always stop in a way that seems un natural, while the long passes is like on ice

scoring from crosses is too cheap against the defence

YagizY

I've never played a game in the PES series except the Wii one and I'm currently playing the PS3 version and I hate it. Can someone clear some things up for me because I want to like this game.

Offense: Shooting, WTF. Everytime I shoot it just goes way over the bar, even when I am wide open right in front of the goal, what am I doing wrong?

I can't hold possession for longer than 5 seconds, I have no idea how to evade people, how do you do that?

My strategy is turbo down the sides and cross it in, am I doing something wrong here?

Defense: Either than the ability to press two buttons (defend and have defend) is there any defense in this game? Can you call defensive plays? I saw L2 but the guide in the game doesn't tell you what defense corresponds to what button. Is there any type of strafe button where the goal is to just keep the other player in front of you? Everytime I press X my guy goes for the ball and just overruns the other player and the other player is off to the races with a wide open field in front of him.

Also is there any way my teammates don't act retarded? I had a ball go up for grabs in the box and instead of my computer teammate running towards it he ran away from it and I got a goal scored on me.

I want to like this game but I've played the demo 100 times today and I just seem to be getting worse and worse. It's getting almost as boring as FIFA.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!

ourumov

sneaky77 said:
they are really attacking Konami for being stuck on the ps2 era it seems

is also getting in them about the ball physics being totally inconsistent, like the short passes are too heavy and always stop in a way that seems un natural, while the long passes is like on ice

Yesterday I did something really illustrative on that. Henry crosses the ball to Messi. Messi crosses the ball to Eto'o... And Eto'o scores.

Offense: Shooting, WTF. Everytime I shoot it just goes way over the bar, even when I am wide open right in front of the goal, what am I doing wrong?

Try to fill the gauge in a really careful way. I rarely charge it more than a 50%... The closer the goal, the lesser you fill the gauge.

I can't hold possession for longer than 5 seconds, I have no idea how to evade people, how do you do that?
Try to use feints, speed changes... But anyways... Try to pass to the right player at the right moment.

My strategy is turbo down the sides and cross it in, am I doing something wrong here?
You have a really cool triangle button... Use it :)
Try to do fast passes... I don't know. Just try to do what you would do when playing soccer.

I am not going to elaborate on defence since it's a subject that it's hard to explain with just words. To me it's more a matter of instinct than ability.
I love defending.

guidop

YagizY said:
I've never played a game in the PES series except the Wii one and I'm currently playing the PS3 version and I hate it. Can someone clear some things up for me because I want to like this game.

Defense: Either than the ability to press two buttons (defend and have defend) is there any defense in this game? Can you call defensive plays? I saw L2 but the guide in the game doesn't tell you what defense corresponds to what button. Is there any type of strafe button where the goal is to just keep the other player in front of you? Everytime I press X my guy goes for the ball and just overruns the other player and the other player is off to the races with a wide open field in front of him.

Also is there any way my teammates don't act retarded? I had a ball go up for grabs in the box and instead of my computer teammate running towards it he ran away from it and I got a goal scored on me.

I want to like this game but I've played the demo 100 times today and I just seem to be getting worse and worse. It's getting almost as boring as FIFA.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Play Man U they are probably the most fun to play especially in attack. Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney are great dribblers and can beat defenders quite easierly. I played it alot last night and found the game to be really good its a lot like PES5 imo but they have fixed some of the issues with it. In PES5 when you dumbied the cpu they would be completely beaten and you could beat the whole team like that

I found that the trick to dribbling is to mix your players speed up and a cut back will get you out of trouble too. Try practicing with Ronaldo he is the best player in the demo with messi just behind him. There is dumbying too you take a shot or cross with Square/X or O/B then press X/A and the player will do a fake shot and usually go passed a defender.

Shooting in PES is the hardest thing to master imo but when you do its great you can score some really amazing goals from anywhere on the attacking side of the field. If your in the box and running at full speed you just want to tap shoot any more and it will probably go over the bar

guidop

sneaky77 said:

having long passes/crosses set to TYPE 2 is cheap but the other type isn't cheap at all its quite hard most crosses go way past the defenders. The only problem i foresee is when someone has long passes set to TYPE 1 and his opponent has long passes set to TYPE 2. The player with TYPE 2 long passes is going to have a massive advantage and no one will want to use the other setting everyone online will have TYPE 2 passes which is too easy to score from.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
mio said:
"Resulta triste hablar de esta saga en estos términos, sobre todo después de lo que nos ha hecho vivir durante años. No sabemos la razón de este retroceso, si es la dificultad a amoldarse a esta generación, si es que el presupuesto para un nuevo motor gráfico es ínfimo, si el equipo desarrollador ha ido menguando en cantidad y calidad,… las razones no las sabemos, pero sí podemos apreciar en Konami en general una caída de calidad en sus títulos (exceptuando MGS4) de la generación actual. Hoy nos ocupa una estrella caída, una vieja gloria que ha envejecido mal. PES2009 ha llegado… ¿para quedarse?"

FUCK FUCK FUCK!

The worse part about the review is that it is excellent in pointing out why the game is so mediocre.

Lince

Banned
godhandiscen said:
"Resulta triste hablar de esta saga en estos términos, sobre todo después de lo que nos ha hecho vivir durante años. No sabemos la razón de este retroceso, si es la dificultad a amoldarse a esta generación, si es que el presupuesto para un nuevo motor gráfico es ínfimo, si el equipo desarrollador ha ido menguando en cantidad y calidad,… las razones no las sabemos, pero sí podemos apreciar en Konami en general una caída de calidad en sus títulos (exceptuando MGS4) de la generación actual. Hoy nos ocupa una estrella caída, una vieja gloria que ha envejecido mal. PES2009 ha llegado… ¿para quedarse?"

FUCK FUCK FUCK!

The worse part about the review is that it is excellent in pointing out why the game is so mediocre.

"after all the wonderful years it's so sad we're referring to the PES saga in these terms. We don't quite know the reasons why the saga is down in both quality and content, could it be the team is struggling with this generation hardware or perhaps a tight budget for the graphics engine or maybe just key devs. leaving the ship... apart from MGS4 every Konami title this gen is less than stellar. Today we're reviewing a fallen star, an old glory that has aged poorly. PES2009 is finally here... to stay?

:'(

I feel like hooking my goold ol' PS2 and play some real PES

IGN review

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/918/918049p1.html

Closing Comments
For all its problems off the pitch, there’s no doubting that PES 2009 is the most fun football game on the market. There’s a nagging feeling that this is merely the game that the past iterations should have been, but there’s no denying that it plays as good a game as ever – which means for the neutral, the choice of which game to pledge their allegiance to is as hard as ever. Ultimately, FIFA wins out thanks to it offering the most comprehensive package, but those who choose to spend the next season in the company of PES won’t be disappointed.

6.0 Presentation
The bizarre J-Pop is thankfully absent, though the menus are as obtuse as ever and it pales next to the glorious production of FIFA.
7.0 Graphics
PES never feels like it’s truly embraced the HD generation and this is no exception – at least the frame-rate remains solid when playing offline.
6.0 Sound
Lawrenson and Champion phone in their commentary and the crowds are nondescript, but it’s saved by the meaty thud of leather on leather.
9.0 Gameplay
Restored to the glory days of PES’s gone by, it’s as gracious as ever and a constant delight to play.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
It’s a shame that online disappoints yet again, but Master League is present and correct plus Become a Legend definitely has legs.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Steroyd

wha, whaaaaat? Oh Konami :(

They say it's much improved from last years, but doesn't hold a candle to sitting next to your mate (well no shit).

IGN frikken sucks, I don't know how they played online but they could have gone into more detail about what online is like rather than giving such a weak paragraph about just the lag, is it region locked? are there community features? etc. Jesus Christ c'mon throw a damn bone.

FF_VIII

Banned
kobashi100 said:
IGN review

Closing Comments
For all its problems off the pitch, there’s no doubting that PES 2009 is the most fun football game on the market. There’s a nagging feeling that this is merely the game that the past iterations should have been, but there’s no denying that it plays as good a game as ever – which means for the neutral, the choice of which game to pledge their allegiance to is as hard as ever. Ultimately, FIFA wins out thanks to it offering the most comprehensive package, but those who choose to spend the next season in the company of PES won’t be disappointed.

6.0 Presentation
The bizarre J-Pop is thankfully absent, though the menus are as obtuse as ever and it pales next to the glorious production of FIFA.
7.0 Graphics
PES never feels like it’s truly embraced the HD generation and this is no exception – at least the frame-rate remains solid when playing offline.
6.0 Sound
Lawrenson and Champion phone in their commentary and the crowds are nondescript, but it’s saved by the meaty thud of leather on leather.
9.0 Gameplay
Restored to the glory days of PES’s gone by, it’s as gracious as ever and a constant delight to play.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
It’s a shame that online disappoints yet again, but Master League is present and correct plus Become a Legend definitely has legs.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

What?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
F#A#Oo said:
There are many of us that find it hard to let go tbh...:D

Well, i am one of them, been a fan for so long, i even bought PES2008 with all its problems and shitty online. Good thing i had bought Fifa08 too. :lol

But seriously, im not buying this one, i was expecting something more, than just it being "playable"( quoting the ign test ).

Dizzan

MINI Member
I just want smooth fucking online.

Is it too hard to ask Konami.

I said it last year but seriously, if next year is not an improvement, Im not buying it. Fuck.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Yeah agreed...I'll be cancelling my pre-order if the online is not up to par.

Just wait till next year and hope...I tried the Fifa demo the other day...just doesn't feel right. Think I'm too use to PES. :/

FF_VIII

Banned
With the on-pitch action restored to its former glory, it's a shame that PES 2009 stumbles somewhat at the final hurdle. Last year's online component of PES was simply unplayable, with lag sometimes teleporting the ball the length of the pitch, reducing games to a test of the player's psychic ability. This year things have improved dramatically and now it's playable, though thanks to some persistent if not excessive lag problems it's still not a patch on playing against someone sat next to you. Throw in the added rigmarole of Konami's arcane ID system and you've got an online mode that's a bit laughable when pitted against FIFA's sturdy servers.

:(

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
So, is the online on PES6 PS2 level or what? That one wasn't so bad. I don't expect online to be as good as FIFA.

FF_VIII

Banned
StarEye said:
So, is the online on PES6 PS2 level or what? That one wasn't so bad. I don't expect online to be as good as FIFA.

What, playable?

They should've sorted it out by now, it's a joke.

Dizzan

MINI Member
F#A#Oo said:
Yeah agreed...I'll be cancelling my pre-order if the online is not up to par.

Just wait till next year and hope...I tried the Fifa demo the other day...just doesn't feel right. Think I'm too use to PES. :/

Me too. I gave it a chance by playing the demo heaps but it just didn't click.

I might have to perservere with it if Konami can't sort it out.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
FF_VIII said:
What, playable?

They should've sorted it out by now, it's a joke.

PES6 was very playable and I spent ages on it. Both on PC and on PS2. Lag was not a big issue there, if you checked the latency bars before choosing a person to play against. Of course, I never used Quick Match, 'cause that took neither rating or latency into discount.

Very often, lag was caused by laggers.

Steroyd

FF_VIII said:

I tend to not trust either IGN or Gamespot when it comes to reviewing online segments before a game is launched, Eurogamer is good but they tend to put online in their review when it goes live which is either the day before or after it's launched.

With that said I didn't expect PES09 to run flawlessly online this is Konami we're talking about. >_>

spwolf

kobashi100 said:
IGN review

Closing Comments
For all its problems off the pitch, there’s no doubting that PES 2009 is the most fun football game on the market.

9.0 Gameplay

what else is there to know?

No way to test online without many people online, right now few reviewers have the game... how do you test when lag could be 0.2, 0.3, more? PES08 had its online to acceptable levels after several updates - if this already plays better, then thats good.

f@luS

More than a member.
FF_VIII said:
not perfect online = bo buy. I cant stand fifa gameplay, its too shallow for me but im sick of PES. I buy it for online, im working everyday im not in college anymore with friends coming everyday in teh house (and gf wouldnt like anyway)
need to play ONLINE , FLAWLESS onlin

spwolf said:
what else is there to know?

No way to test online without many people online, right now few reviewers have the game... how do you test when lag could be 0.2, 0.3, more? PES08 had its online to acceptable levels after several updates - if this already plays better, then thats good.

it has never been acceptable or define it. a 2 players online game should be flawless dude...2008, almost 2009 . Even a decade ago it shouldnt be acceptable

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
how can EA do 10 vs 10 and konami can't nail 1 vs 1?

that said, FIFA online barely resembles the sport anymroe with the AI, button lag and all sorts of crap coming into play - its tsill addictive as hell forming a club with mates and trying to beat other clubs.

Steroyd

And then there's PES; perhaps much like Liverpool, it's a series that's heavily decorated but has of late fallen on lean times and in place of the affable Rafa Benitez, PES has the equally charming Seabass, reassuring his diehard fans that this year, finally, his team can deliver.

RafaGTFO.jpg

Steroyd

kaizoku said:
how can EA do 10 vs 10 and konami can't nail 1 vs 1?

1. Japaneese dev = no grasp of HD consoles.

2. EA = more money and resources.

3. Japaneese dev = no grasp of HD consoles.

Top Bottom