• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

ExReey

Pretty much this for any area :)

I purposely died in Blue Mountain (for ideas on a quest) and ran into the mansion there and found extra stuff. Really adds to the atmosphere these little touches.

You mean they actually added content specifically for when you're in ghost mode??

ekim

God - I love this game ! Really!
I just got my first investigation mission at the church in Kingsmouth and I'm stuck already... :(

I knew the translation - but I don't know where to go. At the lighthouse was nothing. Then I looked at the telephone book at the police station and made the connection Lightning/Enlightment --> Books. But at the bookstore also was nothing. Now I think I need some more knowledge about the fire incident. There were a lot of lockers in the community center. But I don't know which to open. But I'm teased :p

erragal

You mean they actually added content specifically for when you're in ghost mode??

Being 'dead' is very much part of the game.

I just can't rave enough about the quality of the environment art in this game. The attention to detail and fantastic lighting just amazes me every time I play; ill randomly stop to marvel at the authenticity of the texture of a beech tree or a house's siding or a wallpaper. Yes it is a bit rough technically at times but that really just doesn't matter compared to how fun the game is.

Also the game lets me be the tank and a healer simultaneously... that alone makes it superior to anything else. My chaos/assault rifles build is pure versatility and joy.

erragal

what kind of magic do you need for healing? today some "guy" randomly put a red bubble around me which healed me quite a bit ... how can I do that?

That is the blood set of skill trees. They do heals/absorb shield combinations. Its a very cheap AP investment to get some of the more powerful actives as well.

erragal

ok cool, thanks! i guess now i'll have to ignore my hammer and rock a pistols/blood combination ;)

Pistols /Blood makes for one of the best pvp healing/support builds IMO. There's a lot of synergy between the trees from both dps and healing perspectives; if I ever do heavy pvp in this game I'd probably use some form of pistol/blood build myself!

TheYanger

God - I love this game ! Really!
I just got my first investigation mission at the church in Kingsmouth and I'm stuck already... :(

I knew the translation - but I don't know where to go. At the lighthouse was nothing. Then I looked at the telephone book at the police station and made the connection Lightning/Enlightment --> Books. But at the bookstore also was nothing. Now I think I need some more knowledge about the fire incident. There were a lot of lockers in the community center. But I don't know which to open. But I'm teased :p

Oh man, I was stuck on EXACTLY what you are in beta.

TheYanger

Did you find the solution on your own?

Unless I'm mistaking where you are, what I needed was not a spoiler per se, but simply the knowledge that:
Sounds like you clicked the wrong painting. Each of those sends you to different parts of the map before you can go back and click the correct one. So when you click a bad one, your other clues mean nothing and are just confusing you. The correct painting LOOKS like it should based on the clue from the docks. Oh, and the glowing lockers are for another quest. I opened every fucking one because I didn't realize that. T_T

"There's Something About Ellis Hill" has nothing to do with the Circuit golem, though.

By the way... explore Kingsmouth when you are dead guys, maaan it can get creepy. Visit spots that were part of investigation missions, I say that much :)

Yes its amazing. I remember one part was really creepy when I stumbled on it. I like the concept of it.

Good playing with you today Feef!

Also people I changed the Templar Cabal name to "Grand Ascension Temple" as it sounded a little cooler - however, I'm open to different ones that are better and more interesting.

Yes its amazing. I remember one part was really creepy when I stumbled on it. I like the concept of it.

Also people I changed the Templar Cabal name to "Grand Ascension Temple" as it sounded a little cooler - however, I'm open to different ones that are better and more interesting.

wouldnt Grand Ascension Femple be better? GAF not GAT ;)

or something like "Geniously Awesome Fellows"? oh well okay that doesnt work, why the hell is it genius / ingenious and not "genious" in english??? and why is "ungenial" not something like not-genius but "unfriendly" LOL

ekim

Unless I'm mistaking where you are, what I needed was not a spoiler per se, but simply the knowledge that:
Sounds like you clicked the wrong painting. Each of those sends you to different parts of the map before you can go back and click the correct one. So when you click a bad one, your other clues mean nothing and are just confusing you. The correct painting LOOKS like it should based on the clue from the docks. Oh, and the glowing lockers are for another quest. I opened every fucking one because I didn't realize that. T_T

I have absolutely no idea. I just got the Latin sentence from the Manhole cover.

Madouu

Well, the one you do in order to pick that one up then. It doesn't change the fact that it was bugged for me.

EDIT: Google tells me Runaway Lights.

Yeah both Runaway Lights and It takes two to Tango bug on some instances, luckily both times I just had to ask in chat to switch to a working instance and people were gentle enough to invite/group with me.

I have absolutely no idea. I just got the Latin sentence from the Manhole cover.

Hang in there, I think out of the 5 investigation missions in Kingsmouth I spent the most time trying to figure out the Kingsmouth code.
For now the sentence written on the manhole cover in itself isn't important, only the object ... remember you want to get somewhere.

One good thing to do is pick up some other quests if you are ever stuck in an investigation mission and then come back to it with a fresh mind a little later. Or even better, sleep on it ... that's how I solved tier 4/5 of the Kingsmouth Code : I got frustrated and went to sleep, next morning while making breakfast I came up with a few theories on how to solve it and sure enough one was right! You do feel like a boss after that as the Eye would say.

Hawk269

Downloaded the game last night, had to be up at 4am this morning so about to play for the first time.

Any particular server that most Gaf folks are on? I am going into this game blind as well, so any feedback on the best faction to start off with first?

Thanks!

xeris

Downloaded the game last night, had to be up at 4am this morning so about to play for the first time.

Any particular server that most Gaf folks are on? I am going into this game blind as well, so any feedback on the best faction to start off with first?

Thanks!

Server only matters for one particular PvP zone. Other than that, anyone can group with any other server including the designated European ones and guilds can be cross-server.

I'd say the factions are mostly equal. The only real difference is in the special deck combos and that's minor and mostly cosmetic. Honestly I'd pick whichever faction you think has the best lore or, failing that, has the best looking gear for their decks.

oktarb

Took me a while to figure this out. Its how to get past a bug at the end of Something Wicked.

if you get to the white ravens in a semicircle that sound off the phrases AND there are a bunch clustered together then the quest is bugged and will not complete. To solve this ask to join up with someone in a different dimension. Keep doing that until you only see a single bird in each spot.

Xander51

I've only played a little of this but I'm really enjoying it so far. Noticed that my UI settings like to reset every time I launch the game. The atmosphere is great and the combat is surprisingly fun.

TheYanger

Finally finished the Slayer deck...only to decide I don't like it for single target, it's TOO AE focused haha. oh well, got my outfit and can work on another one now ;) Can just use my old build for single target too. or even modify them both to be more specific.

Still can't believe I made that mistake with the Cabal name. Now it won't let me change it for 6 more days because I already changed it once. Oh well, at that point maybe I'll think of something else.

This game...>!

How's the community so far? Is it typical to see lots of people running around? I always fear MMOs turning into ghost towns.

How's the community so far? Is it typical to see lots of people running around? I always fear MMOs turning into ghost towns.

Its very lively right now, community is helpful and I've teamed up with a lot of random strangers for missions. It's fun as can be really. I had a hard time finding willing teammates in SWTOR most recently.

derFeef

Damn, I just remembered skipping a faction mission. No wonder my rank didn't go up.

The faction mission only becomes available at a certain rank automatically (you can get it manually). Your overall rank is not tied to any mission. Just look at your character sheet and go to the Ranking part. There you can see what awards you got and how much "xp" is left for the next rank, and what your next award will be.

Vlodril

I don't like the gas mask. I like the outfit without it but i think you have to wear it as is and can't modify it. Too bad.

What makes this game special for me is that i don't feel like i am grinding due to the lack of leveling. I am not worried about points , i just assign them when i get enough, i just go around doing quests for the story and atmosphere.

Makes the game much more fun and less of a chore.

TheYanger

The faction mission only becomes available at a certain rank automatically (you can get it manually). Your overall rank is not tied to any mission. Just look at your character sheet and go to the Ranking part. There you can see what awards you got and how much "xp" is left for the next rank, and what your next award will be.

Yeah but you can't actually advance your faction rank until you do the mission, which sucks if you miss it :(

Vlodril

Yeah but you can't actually advance your faction rank until you do the mission, which sucks if you miss it :(

Now you are worrying me. Is it possible to miss a faction quest? As far as the eye goes he contacted me so there was no way to actually miss it. Now i am wondering if i missed any while going around in kingsmouth.

glaurung

Now you are worrying me. Is it possible to miss a faction quest? As far as the eye goes he contacted me so there was no way to actually miss it. Now i am wondering if i missed any while going around in kingsmouth.
Doesn't the quest tracker show you all the quests for a specific region?

I think in the beta at some point the quests that you had not found were displayed as all question marks.

kurahador

You won't miss it. The quest will pop-up automatically, so if you're on other story mission it'll ask you to pause it.

I skipped it because a GM contacted me asking me to resume a bugged mission.

ExReey

Very interesting views on how to optimally make use of the quests system:

(taken from the official forums)

The mission (quest) system in TSW is *very* different from nearly every other MMO. If you approach missions like you do in other MMOs, you might be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you *understand* the mission system and the design reasons behind it, you might find that you really enjoy it.

Don't think in terms of "quest hubs". Don't try to finish all the missions that are available at the first apparent "hub" you come to. That's not how this game is designed.

Also, don't think in terms of "I need to rush through all the zones to get to max level and the endgame." The endgame literally starts in Kingsmouth. Seriously. Yes, there is a short vertical progression whereby you get progressively stronger, but don't obsess over that. It will happen quickly and organically while you play the endgame, which starts the moment you exit Agartha in Kingsmouth.

Instead, understand that the multiple missions available at given "hub" are meant to *spread out the players*. They're not a laundry list of quests to complete first. If there are 4 different possible quests at a given hub, take your pick of one and follow it to the end. Meanwhile, other players are making different choices and the end result is that 25% of you go to one part of the map, another 25% go to a different part, and so on.

The next important thing to understand is that when you finish the last tier of a quest, STOP RIGHT THERE. Do not run back to the hub. Just phone in your reward right where you're standing, and then start looking around the current area carefully. In most cases, you should find some other "mission starter" of some sort very nearby. Usually within 50m of where you ended the mission you just finished. Take THAT quest and follow it to the end.

Now keep rinsing and repeating. Eventually you'll end up near that first "hub" again, and since it's nearby, that's the logical place to pick up the next mission.

LET the quests give you a tour of the zone. Your tour will be different from other player's because you're making different choices.

If you find yourself running back to a hub to grab the next quest from that hub, *you're doing it wrong*.

If you don't find a new mission starter within roughly 50m of where you ended the previous mission, report it as a bug. Seriously.

Now as to your queue:

There are three "activity mission" types: red (action), yellow (sabotage), and green (investigation), you can have only one activity mission in your queue at one time. These are typically given only by NPCs, and most (all) such NPCs are marked on your map.

There are also "item mission" types, which are a grayish green with stripes along the bottom. You can have up to three of these in your queue at any one time. These do not appear on the map, and they can be anywhere in the environment. You might want to mark them with a map marker when you find them, in case you want to repeat them again later.

Finally, you can have only one "storyline" mission (blue) in your queue at a time, and only one "group instance" mission (purple).

Don't see the limited queue as a detriment. See it as a reminder to really follow the story of each quest instead of treating things as a mindless laundry list. And remember: where one mission ends, there is usually another mission to start *very close by*, and if not that's actually a bug worth reporting. Although be aware that you might have to look carefully for it like many of the "clue hunting" mechanics of the game in general.

One last note: you cannot "drop" a mission. You can only *pause* a mission by taking another one of the same type. To resume a paused mission you *will* have to find the original place it started from and "start" it again. However, when you do this you actually resume the mission at the tier you paused it at. Be aware, though, that if you did not fully complete that tier before pausing it, you will have lost all progress *within* that tier and be starting at the very beginning of the tier again.

tomedo

What makes this game special for me is that i don't feel like i am grinding due to the lack of leveling. I am not worried about points , i just assign them when i get enough, i just go around doing quests for the story and atmosphere.

Yep, there is a distinct lack of "must rush to max level" feeling that almost all other mmo's have. You just get a decent build going and then upgrade your equipment as you go to be useful in whatever dungeons the zone you are currently doing has. I feel no need to rush and can relax and spend as much time as I want with investigations etc.

TheYanger

They're pretty hard to miss. Worst case scenario, just check your faction rank now and then. I look at mine every time I level up because I'm curious what the next rewards are, it'll tell you when a mission is coming. I've gotten all of 2 and I'm almost done with Egypt, the third one comes at my next level (9? 10? something like that).

Truant

Where can I download the client? I want to try the game with my friends account.

edit: Seems like my weekend beta client will still work.

Madouu

Hint:
If you recorded it to a wav file, like I did, just open the wav file in audacity. You can easily see the longs and shorts by looking at the structure of the wav file.

I know that breaks what I said about doing it all in-game, but I still felt awesome doing it that way too.

My method was recording it and slowing down playback to a point where I could easily distinguish "dots" from "bars". It took me about 15 minutes ... I should've thought about audacity though would've made it even easier!

syko de4d

TheYanger

they shut it down - only reason you can see yours still is cause it's cached or you haven't refreshed probably :( I can't see mine anymore. Guess it wasn't intended to be up heh.

derFeef

I hope I can play a lot more this weekend, and we should do a Polaris run, even if some of us are already too strong now. And there is always Hell Raised.

Top Bottom