• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

derFeef

Ragnar Tornquist interview part deux! Cool read (you should also read part 1;)
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/06/secret-worlds-tornquist-on-f2p-single-player-games/

Having more adventure gameplay was there from the very beginning. That was our heritage. Keep in mind that the original pre-production team on The Secret World was composed almost entirely of people who worked on Dreamfall. And among the people who worked on Dreamfall, there were a bunch that worked on The Longest Journey as well. So we looked at the heritage of the team and we said, well, we’re going to make an MMO, and we want to make an MMO where we bring in a lot of adventure elements in.

makes perfect sense :D

Madouu

I got the game, gotta support the local devs. FunCom is located ten minutes from my office.

It's still pretty confusing. It took me an hour to understand that I had ability points as well as skill points. I'm pretty fucking stupid, but still. Also, the UI feels to cheap. It looks like a bad iOS app.

I love the ui, I like the fact that you can customize it and have it the way you want it to be.

owlbeak

Man I must be blind. I couldn't find a UI layout options section.
There's not an options section. Just click and drag to move, click the corners to resize, etc. :) It's pretty nice. Some things you can't move, like the action bar and map, I believe.

TheExodu5

Banned
Can't login to the game. I go to my account on the funcom TSW site, set whatever password, and try to use it in game. No dice. I don't get it.

owlbeak

Can't login to the game. I go to my account on the funcom TSW site, set whatever password, and try to use it in game. No dice. I don't get it.
You may have had the same issue I did this morning. If you registered the game with a preorder code from say, Amazon, those accounts got closed today.

Contact live chat on Funcom's site and they can fix you up. I had to do that this morning because Amazon's "preorder bonus code" required me to make a new Funcom account. Little did I know that the "preorder bonus" code was actually an early access beta code. So I had my early access code account as my primary that I had played on since Tuesday and I also had my CD key registered to a different account. I couldn't log in this morning, chat with Funcom and they just deleted my other account and transferred my cd key to the character I played on my early access account so I didn't lose my character.

Mr. Hyde

I am mostly sold on buying this but I am curious if there is anything else to do in the game besides questing/leveling? I am sold on the lore and I am a big Ragnar fan but does this game have anything else such as hobbies (fishing, making weapons, etc...) or something such as being able to customize your character completely with a huge variety of clothes you can loot or buy in stores. I am hoping they take advantage of the modern day setting with cool features.

I am mostly sold on buying this but I am curious if there is anything else to do in the game besides questing/leveling? I am sold on the lore and I am a big Ragnar fan but does this game have anything else such as hobbies (fishing, making weapons, etc...) or something such as being able to customize your character completely with a huge variety of clothes you can loot or buy in stores. I am hoping they take advantage of the modern day setting with cool features.

Dungeons dungeons dungeons. Any Funcom fanboy will tell you this is where Funcom excels. That said, the crafting system in the game seems pretty deep. There is also Lore and Achievements and the more stuff of this you accomplish the more cool outfits and clothing accessories you get. Also, completing each deck in the game gives you an additional costume and these costumes are different for each faction as well.

I think there is plenty to do in this game, especially for a launch title. Hopefully continued development enhances that.

This happens to me every time I get a loading screen between instances or whatever.

I found what happens is it automatically unsubscribes you from chat channels when you switch instances or move to different areas (Anytime there is a loading screen). To fix this, right click on your chat tabs, and hit Subscribe Channels->Public Groups->General (or whatever tab isn't working). Then it should say in the chat box "General will now go to this window".

Sometimes it just stops working even if I don't switch instances. Maybe after three or four hours, I'll notice chat is dead, I resubscribe and it fixes it. It's annoying and I've sent a bug report.

My issue was none of the public chat channels were in the menu, making them impossible to select.

Mr. Hyde

Dungeons dungeons dungeons. Any Funcom fanboy will tell you this is where Funcom excels. That said, the crafting system in the game seems pretty deep. There is also Lore and Achievements and the more stuff of this you accomplish the more cool outfits and clothing accessories you get. Also, completing each deck in the game gives you an additional costume and these costumes are different for each faction as well.

I think there is plenty to do in this game, especially for a launch title. Hopefully continued development enhances that.

That doesn't sound bad. I haven't played a P2P MMO in years and I am relatively busy but this seems to be a good play at your own pace type of MMO that I don't mind investing a couple of months in,or longer depending how I get hooked, so I might buy it. Lovecraftian mythos plus Ragnar and his Dreamfall team mostly sold me on it already.

Edit: Is there a windowed fullscreen mode in this game? I am running a Q 6600 @ 3.1ghz and a 8800 GTS card, so I mostly enjoy playing games at 720P in fullscreen windowed. I could run Diablo 3 perfectly that way and I hope it's in this game.

That doesn't sound bad. I haven't played a P2P MMO in years and I am relatively busy but this seems to be a good play at your own pace type of MMO that I don't mind investing a couple of months in,or longer depending how I get hooked, so I might buy it. Lovecraftian mythos plus Ragnar and his Dreamfall team mostly sold me on it already.

Edit: Is there a windowed fullscreen mode in this game? I am running a Q 6600 @ 3.1ghz and a 8800 GTS card, so I mostly enjoy playing games at 720P in fullscreen windowed. I could run Diablo 3 perfectly that way and I hope it's in this game.

Yes there is a borderless and regular windowed mode.

Truant

I played for four hours and I'm still rocking the default shotgun. Where can I get a new one fast? I don't have enough imperfect metal to create a green one.

derFeef

I played for four hours and I'm still rocking the default shotgun. Where can I get a new one fast? I don't have enough imperfect metal to create a green one.

One of the first missions should give you a green weapon. I think it's one from Deputy Andy. Other than that it's drop or craft :)
There are also blue weapons from the vendors where you can exchange the tokens, (white guys with blue hats, near the police station) but I think you need 30, or 35, can't remember right now.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue

once you get to the savage coast, follow the road to the nw and i think there's a venice merchant there, swap quest tokens for a nice new shotty

So are there actually GMs that monitor petitions? Every time I set one up I get nothing. Yet people on the official forums claim the GMs helped them fix the issue. It's getting really annoying because I can't talk to anyone at all.

derFeef

There are GM's for sure but I think not enough. If it's like Conan you can check your status with /petition status. I am not sure they are able to fix the chat problem (which I dodged luckily as of yet)

Its beyond ridiculous, but I can understand they are limited. They finally replied but their suggestion didn't work. I sent a ticket to Funcom support, ugh. They really need to roll out that next patch.

Effect

once you get to the savage coast, follow the road to the nw and i think there's a venice merchant there, swap quest tokens for a nice new shotty

There is a group near the police station in Kingsmouth Town as well. North of the police station on the road. One of them sells ql3 weapons as well.

TheYanger

So, does faction choice have a big impact? Definitely interested in Dragon atm.

In terms of grouping choices it affects your world pvp side (server also affects this), and which cabals you can join. Everything else is faction agnostic. It affects your questgiver/hub, as well as your faction specific deck outfits etc. Most of the quests in the game are the same, with only slight variance for faction I believe, though the text responses you get from back home when you complete them will be very different of course. You can easily just do the intro sections before the first real zone to see which you like.

The illuminati is VERY modern/internet culture oriented, tons of memes and fast talk and sort of joking around. Templars are more serious, Dragons...idk never played one far but you get a blowjob so maybe that's cool.

Azzurri

I feel for you, I got a friend that've been plagued with this same bug for a while now. Sadly, there's a few issues that carried over from beta and still haven't been fixed. The savage coast anima-mode-while-alive bug is one of them too.

I now have the chat bug

owlbeak

Boo! I just logged in and my chat is borked too. I can't subscribe to General or anything because it's not there :\

I now have the chat bug

Enjoy it, I've been trying to fix it for the past 6 hours for some reason, with small spurts of play time littered throughout. It's really ticking me off because there's no confirmation of it on the forums (Meaning, let's get a dev in there to assure us they are working diligently to fix it. Its practically game-breaking in that it really pulls you out of the experience.) You can't even send private messages.

So is the game's universe tied to Dreamfall in any way?

No, other than there being magical realms and such. No direct correlation.

TheExodu5

Banned
My Assault Rifle quest is uncompletable. Left the area with the weapon after deciding I wanted it, but I never completed the quest. Now it's stuck on "Use Safety Off on a target dummy" and won't complete even if I do. =\

xeris

My Assault Rifle quest is uncompletable. Left the area with the weapon after deciding I wanted it, but I never completed the quest. Now it's stuck on "Use Safety Off on a target dummy" and won't complete even if I do. =\

Did you get the sp/ap points so that you can use the rifle? If so should be able to just "pause" the quest and take another one when you need to I would think.

Also, add me to the chat bug list. Only have say. Wonder if the bug is going global now?

I relogged twice, no dice. But miraculously, I checked the tab after a couple of hours and it was back on the list of channels to subscribe.

Filed another bug report.

Mine just randomly and miraculously worked, and I was logged in - its been 24 hours. This is so strange, but now I've got to get to bed so most of my night was wasted (wanted to group up for dungeon missions.)

Played this during 2 of the Beta weekends and really enjoyed the lore, setting, and questing in the game. Well I wasn't planning on getting this, but broke down and just bought it. I will post my character information here as soon as I have it.

kurahador

Yeah, the quest can never be done once you leave the area. I got Blood Magic one in pause unable to resume.

My chat is still borked. Playin this feels so lonely now.
And it's the weekend too. :(

xeris

My chat randomly unbugged itself about 2 hours after it failed. I kinda got use to the quiet so it was like I was suddenly hearing voices in my head.

nataku

I had the chat bug in The Savage Coast when I logged in tonight, but it fixed itself after about a half hour.

Vlodril

Mine doesn't display anything happening in the illuminati cabal. I joined it saw a couple of messages and then it died. Didn't display my messages either. I think its because i joined the gaffers on cerberus to do polaris. I hope when i get in its fixed. Kinda defeats the purpose of joining a Cabal :p

Good run btw yesterday.

Top Bottom