• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

TheYanger

I hope I can play a lot more this weekend, and we should do a Polaris run, even if some of us are already too strong now. And there is always Hell Raised.

Apparantly my retail code isn't in yet just my preorder, gotta fish it up so I can play :( but I'm down if it works! I have done 0 dungeons, so I'm back 5 now :(

Effect

I really want to play more but going to be a while before I can get the retail version as I believe my preorder code from my previous preorder just ran out. Can't swing the money for the game at the moment, thought I could but other things came up (part of why I decided not to waste money on Heroes of Ruin as well). However going to keep it installed and patched until I can get back in. Was in the middle of a fun mission and had settled on a the sword/pistol combo (was working toward the Paladin deck).

I hope I can play a lot more this weekend, and we should do a Polaris run, even if some of us are already too strong now. And there is always Hell Raised.

I agree we need to do so. I need to do those two and would love to team up.

I tried PvP last night but unfortunately my game froze mid battle. Seems fun though. I downloaded the test live patch so hopefully my dead chat will work again.

It seems like you can repeat any mission other than the investigation missions. How does scaling work in this case? What if a player maxed out all their abilities and completed the majority of the game's missions and then another player wanted to do an earlier mission with this maxed out player? If the player does the mission with the lower skilled player would there be any heavy penalties to skill points gained or anything? Would the higher skilled player be able to basically one-shot everything? Are there any rewards for the higher skilled player repeating this content?

Are there really only 9 weapon types? I remember reading about a bunch of other different weapon types in the beginning.

Did character customization change much from beta? How many clothing shops are available? People should post their characters!

OTIX

the beta keys are not workin anymore, you have to punch in your retail code

I bought a digital download after release, I thought this was the retail code. Haven't gotten anything else. If I login to account management it just says Account type Normal, nothing about this.

well I pre-ordered and got a pre-order-key. today I got a mail from funcom saying that this key wont work anymore and that I have to register my retail copy. by that logic you should have also 2 keys, one for pre order (beta) and one for digital retail. maybe the keys for digital retail have yet to be sent out?

I bought a digital download after release, I thought this was the retail code. Haven't gotten anything else. If I login to account management it just says Account type Normal, nothing about this.
I had this problem when i started. There are separate billing and game passwords, so make sure you set the game password up in the change password page.

ExReey

The Secret World – Launch Dimensions filling up fast!
Hordes of players joined The Secret World since launch earlier this week and are having fun experiencing the game where myth, legend and conspiracies come to life. Many cabals have formed and are recruiting new members and the PvP battlefields and warzones are drenched in blood and covered in the smoke of war between the Templars, the Illuminati and the Dragon!

Several of the first dimensions available at launch are filling up fast! Players are encouraged to create their new characters on one of the dimensions listed below. Please keep in mind though that no matter where you create your character, the single-server technology of The Secret World allows you to play with any character from any other dimension. Cabals are also able to recruit their members from across every dimension.

So if you are looking for a home for your new character, here are the suggested dimensions:
Grim
Daemon

Successful launch so far?

OTIX

well I pre-ordered and got a pre-order-key. today I got a mail from funcom saying that this key wont work anymore and that I have to register my retail copy. by that logic you should have also 2 keys, one for pre order (beta) and one for digital retail. maybe the keys for digital retail have yet to be sent out?

Yup looks like I also got this mail, I had initially deleted it though. Please, when sending a mail to inform a customer their account has been disabled don't send it from newsletters@newsletter.funcom.com and don't make it look exactly like an ad with lots of images and NOW AVAILABLE! at the top.

The problem is that I haven't gotten any other code and the site where I bought it has closed down their customer service for the summer. :(

ExReey

When preordering, I received 2 keys at once. One for the early access and special items, one for normal subscription.

Hoplatee

I might have missed it but there is no auto stacking for items right? My whole bank is filled with raw materials that I placed there over time and it's a pain in the ass to find something. Also right clicking to move items to or out of the bank doesn't seem to work?

Enjoying it quite a lot though!

Gibbo

Getting really terrible download speeds from the official patch client : ( . Getting 300kbs [ usually able to hit 3/4 mb/s on Steam and Origin] Any workaround for this?

I might have missed it but there is no auto stacking for items right? My whole bank is filled with raw materials that I placed there over time and it's a pain in the ass to find something. Also right clicking to move items to or out of the bank doesn't seem to work?

Enjoying it quite a lot though!
Hold up... there's a bank??? I've been carrying everything on me the entire time because I haven't seen one yet. Lol. Where is it?

derFeef

Only Bank so far is in London. They want to keep London as the "main hub". I am not sure I like this.

It seems like you can repeat any mission other than the investigation missions. How does scaling work in this case? What if a player maxed out all their abilities and completed the majority of the game's missions and then another player wanted to do an earlier mission with this maxed out player? If the player does the mission with the lower skilled player would there be any heavy penalties to skill points gained or anything? Would the higher skilled player be able to basically one-shot everything? Are there any rewards for the higher skilled player repeating this content?

Are there really only 9 weapon types? I remember reading about a bunch of other different weapon types in the beginning.

Did character customization change much from beta? How many clothing shops are available? People should post their characters!

About the progression:
The game is not flat, but it's flatter than most traditional MMOs. Being a flatter game makes the window of viable content greater for the player, as there are more areas that will give the player xp. To put some numbers into this: When you have played through all of the content in the adventure zones, and for arguments sake maxed all your skills, more than half of those zones will still give you xp. There are also camps in every adventure zone which are meant for only the toughest players. In these camps you really have to think about the horizontal progression (learning a large number of different abilities), and bring highly specialized sets of abilities in order to be successful. This is the type of content we design to push people horizontally, asking people to maybe take a step outside their comfort zone and think in new ways.

More here: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/...tin_bruusgaard_explains_character_development

Only Bank so far is in London. They want to keep London as the "main hub". I am not sure I like this.
Yeah, that's pretty dumb. There's no indication on an Illuminati (and I assume Dragon as well) character that London is the 'main hub' and that there's a bank there that everyone can use.
Whatever. At least I have a big inventory space now lol

owlbeak

Is anyone on now. or will be on soon, that would like to run Polaris/Dead in the Water? Ran it twice last night and got a really nice pistol drop but some asshole that didn't use pistols 'need'ed on it and got it.

Also, is there a GAF cabal and can I get an invite? :) Name is evazan.

Is anyone on now. or will be on soon, that would like to run Polaris/Dead in the Water? Ran it twice last night and got a really nice pistol drop but some asshole that didn't use pistols 'need'ed on it and got it.

Also, is there a GAF cabal and can I get an invite? :) Name is evazan.

Are you Templar? If so I can send you an invite later. Though there may be someone else on now who can invite you in.

I'm an Illuminati, but I think you can still invite me? Don't think it matters what faction you are in.

Hmm folks in the thread made an Illuminati one for some reason, maybe to keep it more organized. I will invite you, or Feef could. Depends who is on. What time zone? Sorry I'm at work he he.

Oh man. I think my chat system is dead. It's so quiet now.

Happened to me last night. Can't even reload general tabs etc. Your best bet is to load the testlive configuration xml and update to the newest patch which fixes the chat bug according to the notes. I've yet to test it so post your results if you do update. I don't know of any other way to fix it.

TimeKillr

My only real problem with the game, now, is that godawful positioning of the hotspot on the mouse cursor.

When I see a mouse cursor in the shape of an arrow, the hotspot should be at the pointy end of the arrow, not right in the middle of the cursor. The UI is all fucked up because of that and I hate it :)

kurahador

Happened to me last night. Can't even reload general tabs etc. Your best bet is to load the testlive configuration xml and update to the newest patch which fixes the chat bug according to the notes. I've yet to test it so post your results if you do update. I don't know of any other way to fix it.

Can you give me the link. Using in-game browser now, lazy lol (sory).

I just got into London. What the hell?? How come Templar get to have a nice big town hub?

My only real problem with the game, now, is that godawful positioning of the hotspot on the mouse cursor.

When I see a mouse cursor in the shape of an arrow, the hotspot should be at the pointy end of the arrow, not right in the middle of the cursor. The UI is all fucked up because of that and I hate it :)

They've addressed this in the testlive patch which will hopefully go live soon. But I know what you mean without a doubt.

@Sign into your account Page via the secret world.com and on the main screen you will see "Testlive Config". Just download that to your main TSW directory and reload the launcher and it should patch it.

derFeef

They've addressed this in the testlive patch which will hopefully go live soon. But I know what you mean without a doubt.

@Sign into your account Page via the secret world.com and on the main screen you will see "Testlive Config". Just download that to your main TSW directory and reload the launcher and it should patch it.

With that you patch the testlive client over your live client and you play on the testlive servers, instead of the live servers, though.
You may notice it because you will not have any characters ;)

With that you patch the testlive client over your live client and you play on the testlive servers, instead of the live servers, though.
You may notice it because you will not have any characters ;)

Oh Damn didn't realize that as I didn't load it yet. Never mind then. Looks like my dead chat stays.

Jubbly

You can copy your Live client install folder somewhere else, download the Test Live script from your account page, drop it in the new folder, and have that stay as your Test-only client.

vaelic

Banned
from Kotaku http://kotaku.com/5923884/oral-sex-...m_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Oral Sex in The Secret World is Simply Mind-Blowing

Each of the three secret societies in Funcom's paranormal MMO The Secret World have their own way of introducing players to the game's primary conflict. The Templar use magic. The Illuminati use drugs. And the mysterious Dragon? They induct their members the old fashioned, NSFW way.

In order to see the truth behind the comforting lie, one must first clear one's mind. There are many ways to achieve the necessary clarity. An expertly mixed narcotics cocktail might do the trick. Magic is definitely an option.

The Dragon like to keep things simple. Where the Templar use brute force and the Illuminati thrive on power, the Dragon subtly manipulate the forces of chaos. Its members often mention the butterfly effect: a gentle flap of a butterfly's wings setting in motion events that eventually lead to a hurricane. They pluck the base of the harp string and then savor the vibrations. Where others force, they take advantage.

In this case, they take advantage of the most easily attainable moment of clarity a person can experience. The phrase "mind -blowing orgasm" isn't just hyperbole in The Secret World.

This scene, experienced by every Dragon initiate — male and female — works quite well in context. The writing is clever, the voice actress' delivery is flawless and the character movement is finely choreographed. It's a seductive dance that draws the player deeper into this strange and deadly new world.

You can copy your Live client install folder somewhere else, download the Test Live script from your account page, drop it in the new folder, and have that stay as your Test-only client.

Yea but as Feef mentioned, no characters and separate server. I've put too many hours in to bother starting over just yet for some fixes that will come soon. I just hope it's VERY soon because not having chat is just awful.

Madouu

Yea but as Feef mentioned, no characters and separate server. I've put too many hours in to bother starting over just yet for some fixes that will come soon. I just hope it's VERY soon because not having chat is just awful.

I feel for you, I got a friend that've been plagued with this same bug for a while now. Sadly, there's a few issues that carried over from beta and still haven't been fixed. The savage coast anima-mode-while-alive bug is one of them too.

owlbeak

This happens to me every time I get a loading screen between instances or whatever.

I found what happens is it automatically unsubscribes you from chat channels when you switch instances or move to different areas (Anytime there is a loading screen). To fix this, right click on your chat tabs, and hit Subscribe Channels->Public Groups->General (or whatever tab isn't working). Then it should say in the chat box "General will now go to this window".

Sometimes it just stops working even if I don't switch instances. Maybe after three or four hours, I'll notice chat is dead, I resubscribe and it fixes it. It's annoying and I've sent a bug report.

Truant

I got the game, gotta support the local devs. FunCom is located ten minutes from my office.

It's still pretty confusing. It took me an hour to understand that I had ability points as well as skill points. I'm pretty fucking stupid, but still. Also, the UI feels to cheap. It looks like a bad iOS app.

TimeKillr

I got the game, gotta support the local devs. FunCom is located ten minutes from my office.

It's still pretty confusing. It took me an hour to understand that I had ability points as well as skill points. I'm pretty fucking stupid, but still. Also, the UI feels to cheap. It looks like a bad iOS app.

Yeah I have friend or two who work there, so I'm doing my part, but unlike what typically happens with Funcom, I'm actually enjoying it :)

owlbeak

So can someone clarify for me the crafting system? I am so frustrated with it right now. I'm trying to make glyphs and talismans and nothing is working because it keeps saying my materials are too low a level or it doesn't say anything and the "assemble" button is just greyed out.

Questions:
  • Are all materials QL0? Even once you get up to sacred and stuff?
  • Do your assembly kits have to be the same level as your materials, and if so, how is that possible if the QL level for materials always remains at 0?

I'm curious becuase I have sacred metal and it says it's QL0 but when I try to assemble a weapon with it (tried QL1, 2, 3, and 4 Weapon Assembly Kits) it won't let me assemble anything and says my materials are too low of a level.

When I try to create a glyph, even after I've upgraded the runes a few times, I put them in assembly and put my Glyph assembly kit in, and it shows no result and "Assemble" is greyed out even though the background is green. Example:

FnfRF.jpg

I'm so confused! :(

erragal

So can someone clarify for me the crafting system? I am so frustrated with it right now. I'm trying to make glyphs and talismans and nothing is working because it keeps saying my materials are too low a level or it doesn't say anything and the "assemble" button is just greyed out.

Questions:
  • Are all materials QL0? Even once you get up to sacred and stuff?
  • Do your assembly kits have to be the same level as your materials?

I'm curious becuase I have sacred metal and it says it's QL0 but when I try to assemble a weapon with it (tried QL1, 2, 3, and 4 Weapon Assembly Kits) it won't let me assemble anything and says my materials are too low of a level.

When I try to create a glyph, even after I've upgraded the runes a few times, I put them in assembly and put my Glyph assembly kit in, and it shows no result and "Assemble" is greyed out even though the background is green.

I'm so confused! :(

All materials are ql0. If you're using ql4 plans you shouldn't be upgrading to sacred materials yet, even ql6 plans only use normal type materials. My best guess for your problem is that you're trying to combine an offensive and defensive glyph together. Glyphs can be mixed but only within the offensive or defensive categories... you can't have a crit/evade glyph as an example.

Toolkits have a specific type of material they require but it tells you clearly in the tooltip description when you hover over the toolkit.

Hope that answers your questions.

owlbeak

All materials are ql0. If you're using ql4 plans you shouldn't be upgrading to sacred materials yet, even ql6 plans only use normal type materials. My best guess for your problem is that you're trying to combine an offensive and defensive glyph together. Glyphs can be mixed but only within the offensive or defensive categories... you can't have a crit/evade glyph as an example.

Toolkits have a specific type of material they require but it tells you clearly in the tooltip description when you hover over the toolkit.

Hope that answers your questions.
I was using 2 pair of offensive runes in the screenshot above. The runes were imperfect, and the kit was a QL4 that says it uses imperfect runes. So I don't know. (edit: apparently the QL 4 glyph kits are broken)

Thanks for the tip about the tooltip though. I guess I assumed Level 4 assembly kits were for higher level materials, so I've outleveled my kits. Haha :(

Thanks, I had read this earlier, but he glosses over a little about some things I had questions about. But for the most part, that guide is great.

Top Bottom