• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

derFeef

SWTOR also had about 80 servers or more at launch. I think at most this game has about 8 servers. So it is not comparable. I think they knew it was not going to be a huge launch game because of the amount of servers and all.

Their server tech is not really comparable to everything out there, so it's not a good point of reference. Those "servers" are only home Dimensions for your characters, everyone plays on one single server.

Vlodril

Lets face it , this game has nowhere neear close the people that played swtor. But thats ok if they planned for that. If only they didnt put that damn store in.

derFeef

Lets face it , this game has nowhere neear close the people that played swtor. But thats ok if they planned for that. If only they didnt put that damn store in.

No one knows and we will never know, Funcom does not publish subscription numbers because they are a publicly listed company.

edit: and certainly it should not hinder your personal enjoyment of the game if it has 10.000 or 1 million subscribers. As long as Funcom can continue to make content and survive I am totally fine with less subscribers than MMO "xy" - but I guess it does not make good news or people can't jump to conclusion.

Vlodril

Oh i am not saying i am bothered. Just that i am pretty sure it has nowhere near close to swtor numbers. I am also not saying its a bad thing , as i said it depends how they have made their plans.

This game is absolutely fantastic from what I have played so far. The story seems great so far, the writing seems tight, and the quest structure seems superb.

Can't wait to play more. if you're on the fence like I was and enjoy MMOs, I can definitely recommend the game so far.

xeris

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I am on grimm, illuminati. Anyone got a cabal going?

We've got Enlighted GAF going. Just about everyone in it can invite. The names I remember off the top are Area (TheYanger and our beloved leader), Ezekiah (me), Evazan, and Irie. Or post your toon name here and one of us can try to get you in.

We've got Enlighted GAF going. Just about everyone in it can invite. The names I remember off the top are Area (TheYanger and our beloved leader), Ezekiah (me), Evazan, and Irie. Or post your toon name here and one of us can try to get you in.

Sure! I'll try to hit you guys up when I get back in game. My character name is Xayra.

nickelpat

Neo Member
If anyone has an extra 24 hour code, I'd love it. A buddy and I have been eyeing the game for a while, but I'm wary to bite on it after sinking money into other MMOs that turned belly up (STO Collector's Edition, Champs Online, Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan).

Thank you to anyone that may be able to shoot one my way.

owlbeak

HEARTBREAK!! I just got a REALLY good QL4 pistol drop and was trying to pick it up and got disconnected. Internet went down due to storms! NOOOOO! :(

This game is so good though. I've got a shameful amount of time in already. Just recently moved to Savage Coast on Saturday afternoon. Been sick recently, so I've gotten to put a lot of time in! The more the merrier in Enlightened GAF, the list keeps growing. I'm on quite often under the name Evazan.

Man

I've been very busy with work lately so I wouldn't mind a running start when I get a open slot.
I'm at step 7 of the story mission in Kingsmoth,
I'm supposed to follow the trail left behind by a shady character. The piece of paper has a postcard pointing to the airfield and it seems like I need to make a flight to make out some land territory. I went up there and met with Ellis and I'm working on the first quest. Is the Ellis missions the ones to do to to progress further with story? And holy mother the weekend warrior zombies up there slay me fast.

owlbeak

I've been very busy with work lately so I wouldn't mind a running start when I get a open slot.
I'm at step 7 of the story mission in Kingsmoth,
I'm supposed to follow the trail left behind by a shady character. The piece of paper has a postcard pointing to the airfield and it seems like I need to make a flight to make out some land territory. I went up there and met with Ellis and I'm working on the first quest. Is the Ellis missions the ones to do to to progress further with story? And holy mother the weekend warrior zombies up there slay me fast.
You're in the right area, but his story is separate from your quest. His quests should lead you to the next clue for that mission, though.

Somnia

Just caved and bought the game. Was gonna hold off on a new mmo after I got semi-burned on SWTOR (still play it here and there). Was thinking of going back to RIFT, but this is pretty unique so figure I'll give it a shot. Think I'm gonna run Illuminate.

Ferny

Just caved and bought the game. Was gonna hold off on a new mmo after I got semi-burned on SWTOR (still play it here and there). Was thinking of going back to RIFT, but this is pretty unique so figure I'll give it a shot. Think I'm gonna run Illuminate.

Somnia! Now that you got it i'm going to have to as well. Thanks a lot!

HEARTBREAK!! I just got a REALLY good QL4 pistol drop and was trying to pick it up and got disconnected. Internet went down due to storms! NOOOOO! :(

This game is so good though. I've got a shameful amount of time in already. Just recently moved to Savage Coast on Saturday afternoon. Been sick recently, so I've gotten to put a lot of time in! The more the merrier in Enlightened GAF, the list keeps growing. I'm on quite often under the name Evazan.

Our poor templar cabal sits at 5 people ugh :(

Somnia

Somnia! Now that you got it i'm going to have to as well. Thanks a lot!

haha that's what I do my man =) GW2 isn't for me so let's hope this will hook me for awhile, at this point I am just waiting for EQNext, I am interested in seeing what changes have happened to Vanguard though, even more so with Brad McQuaid rejoining SOE.

Azzurri

When you guy's lvl AP points, are you going back and forth. I'm truing to complete the Merc Build, but only have AP in AR, none in ELE. Also what else would be pure DPS with AR, blades?

owlbeak

When you guy's lvl AP points, are you going back and forth. I'm truing to complete the Merc Build, but only have AP in AR, none in ELE. Also what else would be pure DPS with AR, blades?
I'm going pure DPS with a custom pistols/hammer combo. Lots of hindered/weakened debuffs and taking advantage of those. It's been working really well for me.

Somnia

So to join the Enlightened do I have to be on Grimm? Thought I read somewhere that you are able to cross play with people, I could be wrong though.

xeris

So to join the Enlightened do I have to be on Grimm? Thought I read somewhere that you are able to cross play with people, I could be wrong though.

Nope, can be on any. I'm on Arcadia for example. Just post your name here and/or look for one of the people I listed online.

Somnia

Nope, can be on any. I'm on Arcadia for example. Just post your name here and/or look for one of the people I listed online.

Name should be Somnia if my name reserve went through a long time ago, I'll update when I'm done. About half way done with my download.

Somnia

So I get done downloading the game, boot it up and get a warning that my drivers are outdated, update them. I then restart the patcher and its downloading 11.7gb now for some reason.... sigh

xeris

So I get done downloading the game, boot it up and get a warning that my drivers are outdated, update them. I then restart the patcher and its downloading 11.7gb now for some reason.... sigh

Doesn't help now I realize but I get that message every time I log in and ignore it whether or not I should.

Well, press too got sick of wow clones and luckily games like Tera and TSW stick out - it just does not reach the people on gaf sadly. I want to know why that is as I think it's right up to their alley.

On another note, there is a SMAA injector that works with TSW, it looks far better than FXAA for sure. http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=40625

It's because people refuse to buy MMO's anymore without a trial. You see it all over here, and pretty much everywhere. Shame people are going to miss out on this just because they have been "burned" in the past.

I set up the injector and played for about an hour with it and I'm SOOO glad I saw that post because it has really improved my experience. :D Those jaggies were pretty bad! Good find.

Man

PC Powerplay just posted their review: http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/2012/07/the-secret-world/

"The Secret World is a breath of fresh air in a stale genre. It is the adventure reimagined for a new era. I love this game, unequivocally. And I sincerely hope you do too."
"Undoubtedly too niche for some, the experience is divine for those who choose to lose themselves in The Secret World."
9 out of 10

Madouu

Finished SC right before maintenance, perfect timing! Hopefully, they fix the few quests that are still bugging, and the server chat of course.

Off to Blue Mountain!

ekim

I'm about 10 hours into the game and what I've seen so far is very compelling.
I really liked every quest because of their nature fitting perfectly into the scenario.
The story is getting better and better and all the little details make this game very immersive.

I've played WOW, SW:TOR, Vanguard and several F2Ps and TSW is by far my most favorite MMO. Good Job Funcom! :)

derFeef

Finished SC right before maintenance, perfect timing! Hopefully, they fix the few quests that are still bugging, and the server chat of course.

Off to Blue Mountain!

Get ready to hit your head against a wall ;)
Blue Mountain is no joke, in Beta I had a HARD time there so I went to Egypt a bit and did a few missions there, because it was easier. Let me know if it's still the same.

kurahador

^You're right. The quests in Blue Mountain are ridiculously hard. I just did the one in the mansion where you must enter a mirror (solo instance), took me 2 hours to finish it.

Vlodril

The quest getting bugged is bad but the chat getting bugged is game crippling. You can't do anything. I got it yesterday it came back for five minutes and i was able to post 2 messages in cabal, then went away again for 2 hours and came back for another five minutes before going away again.

I hope Funcom step up with the patches since so far there has been none.

TheYanger

I'd love to join the Illuminati cabal. How do I do that?

Post a name or send a tell to um...hmm. I think almost anyone on the spreadsheet listed as Illuminati - everyone in the cabal can guild invite. (When you invite someone just promote them as high as you can and they can too. I'll fix ranks next time I log in).

The easiest way to invite someone is to add them to your friends list, right click on the friend list, and cabal invite btw. At this point myself and a couple others probably have seen how bad the invite interface is for some reason, this method is painless. other ways tend to want you grouped and in the same zone etc.

derFeef

The quest getting bugged is bad but the chat getting bugged is game crippling. You can't do anything. I got it yesterday it came back for five minutes and i was able to post 2 messages in cabal, then went away again for 2 hours and came back for another five minutes before going away again.

One big update (well for those who got early access) and a maintenance yesterday where everyone went bonkers because it was sunday. Propably an outcry today too ;)

But yeah, the chat bug seems nasty. Luckily did not hit me yet.

ninja edit: oh there was this PvP experience "exploit" hotfix, too.

FGMPR

Banned
oh great, my client crashes whilst installing and it won't resume from where it left off and now i have to start this sloooooooooow download again.

This is NOT an impressive start.

Oh great, and now when my internet drops out it won't even automatically re-connect so basically if I can't find a torrent of the client I am positively fucked and will never be able to finish the download. What an absolute joke this is :(

I fucking knew I should never have trusted this mob after AoC. Absolute amateurs!!

edit: OK, I jumped the gun a bit. I read around on the forums and got the information above, but apparently it was wrong and the client just starts from 0% again, however the download becomes smaller.

It's still incredibly annoying though, because at the moment, I'm getting drop outs every time someone picks up the phone or rings out and since the client won't automatically re-connect I have to baby-sit the download (which is constantly downloading at a rate from 30 kb/s-300 kb/s), so I'm still annoyed at how poor this client is compared to pretty much every other MMO/Blizz game I've played in the past 5 years. Yes, having drop-outs is my problem, but having a client that downloads at such a pathetically slow rate and lacking the simplest of functionality these days simply doesn't cut it for an MMO launch.

Madouu

Last time I had that I communicated with my group the whole afternoon with emotes :D

It's just too expensive. Considering how many times, I've been burned before by new MMOs that just end up to be incredibly poor to pay £40 then £13 a month thereafter is probably the most expensive game I can play right now...and it's not even an incredibly polished game.

I bought the game for 37$ from a link posted in this thread. The game can be pretty much played as a single player rpg (with access to cool community features) that you can finish in a month. After that, it's the customer's call to see if it justifies paying 15$ per month to keep playing or not. As far as I am concerned, the business model seems pretty reasonable.

After sinking a huge amount of hours into this game, I can pretty much say that this is one of the best games I've played since The Witcher 2 and Heroes Of Newerth/Dota 2. I'm still having tons of fun playing when, in comparison, I stopped enjoying Diablo III after a few hours (a game on which I've spent 100 hours+ mind you). Now, it does appeal to a certain public, and I understand that many players may find it to not be what they are looking for in an mmo. Ultimately, it does suck for us people who love these type of games, but these are the laws of the market. Still, I would encourage everyone to at least give this game a try for a decent amount of time as it does require a few hours of investment to get a good grasp of all the mechanics and possibilities it offers. After that, its pure enjoyment.

I think that people that liked The Witcher 2 will love this game. Even though the setting is drastically different, many of the elements that made TW2 so solid are present in The Secret World too. If you love your games for the story, the dialogues and a certain moderate challenge, then you should totally give this a try. If you are more interested in PvP, Loot, XP ... then you probably should try something else.

Well, press too got sick of wow clones and luckily games like Tera and TSW stick out - it just does not reach the people on gaf sadly. I want to know why that is as I think it's right up to their alley.

I think you have reached a lot of people on gaf, including me. I didn't even realize this game was being developed; as I'm not much of an mmo player even though I tried most, until I saw this thread so props to you.

I have you to thank (and bloodforge for inviting me into the CB) for making me discover this awesome game.

Get ready to hit your head against a wall ;)
Blue Mountain is no joke, in Beta I had a HARD time there so I went to Egypt a bit and did a few missions there, because it was easier. Let me know if it's still the same.

Back in CB I was doing decent in SC but had a little bit of trouble in Blue Mountain. Right now, SC felt pretty easy, I don't remember dying once (except to being AFK in the worst spots) so I think BM might be just the challenge I need!

oh great, my client crashes whilst installing and it won't resume from where it left off and now i have to start this sloooooooooow download again.

That sucks and I definitely understand your feeling having had a very unstable internet until recently. I think your best bet is to try to download the game again this afternoon when all the patching etc is done as I know that the resume feature for the client works okay for most people.

derFeef

Thanks Madouu, good to hear some people are open minded like that :)

This is NOT an impressive start.

Oh great, and now when my internet drops out it won't even automatically re-connect so basically if I can't find a torrent of the client I am positively fucked and will never be able to finish the download. What an absolute joke this is :(

I fucking knew I should never have trusted this mob after AoC. Absolute amateurs!!

Sorry to hear you are having troubles, but as long as the Patcher does not crash you can close it normally and resume the download after opening it again. How much did you download already?

FGMPR

Banned
Thanks Madouu, good to hear some people are open minded like that :)

Sorry to hear you are having troubles, but as long as the Patcher does not crash you can close it normally and resume the download after opening it again. How much did you download already?

I at 11 gigs left to download now, which has been downloading for the past 4 or 5 hours or so. But yeah, I went a bit overboard in my first post. That really wasn't appropriate, but I had read a few forum posts that claimed that the client wouldn't resume and that would have genuinely left me with a worthless game that I've just spent money on that I didn't really have to spend.

I'll just have to make sure I'm at my PC whilst it downloads and be ready to close the client and start it up again whenever someone uses the telephone (which is incredibly frustrating, as you could imagine).

I should be able to play tomorrow if it all goes well.

Actually, whilst I'm here I'll ask. Being an Australian, I usually end up with 300-400ping whilst playing MMO's, which amounts to a reasonable experience if you stick to PvE, however this game looks a little more action heavy from what I'm seeing. Does anyone think I'm going to have many problems playing decently? or in other words, is latency any more important for TSW's combat than it is for WoW's?

TheYanger

Eh, not more than wow raiding for instance, more than wow questing yes. It's a pretty tough game already all things considered, so if you die sometimes wouldn't sweat it.

Post a name or send a tell to um...hmm. I think almost anyone on the spreadsheet listed as Illuminati - everyone in the cabal can guild invite. (When you invite someone just promote them as high as you can and they can too. I'll fix ranks next time I log in).

The easiest way to invite someone is to add them to your friends list, right click on the friend list, and cabal invite btw. At this point myself and a couple others probably have seen how bad the invite interface is for some reason, this method is painless. other ways tend to want you grouped and in the same zone etc.

Added like 17 people, but no one was online. :) I guess I'll just play the waiting game now, hehe.

FGMPR

Banned
Eh, not more than wow raiding for instance, more than wow questing yes. It's a pretty tough game already all things considered, so if you die sometimes wouldn't sweat it.

I see. Not really the answer I was hoping for, but hopefully I'll still be OK. It's the adventure-game segments that I'm mostly interested in.

Top Bottom