• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

I'm really surprised at the lack of interest in this game, not only here on GAF but everywhere. I know alot of MMO-gamers who never heard of this. Usually people swarm to new MMO launches of bigbudget games.
It's pretty sad when this game actually is really good and quite original both in setting and gameplay.

People usually complain about all of these WoW-clones and now when a game clearly isn't that it's too different or something?

I think this is really a breath of fresh air in the MMO industry. It has some problems, but overall a very enjoyable experience. I think my main issue with the game is the stiff animations and they kind of kill the immersion of what otherwise is really good, the world and environments are gorgeous. I hope they will improve on the running and animations atleast.

Game has had almost no marketing or hype behind it, lot of people seem to not know it exists. Lot of few people that knew of it wrote it off too because of Funcom and the negative early beta impressions. It's not really anything to do with WoW clones or being too different, the game just didn't get pushed at all and was lost in all the hype of the recent bigger games.

It should succeed as a niche MMO.

Man

It's possible to update to 1.0.1 now, just run the patcher.

Notes: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/update_notes_1.0_launch#update_1_0_1

Update 1.0.1

GENERAL
•Fixed the cause of some stalls in performance while in Seoul.
•When you zone, you will now be returned to you original dimension (unless you are in a team, in which case you will stay in the same dimension).
•Fixed a visual issue where blood effects while using magic abilities would show green or orange square textures.
•You can now use the Meet up feature if you are in combat stance, but not in combat.
•Reduced loudness of Radio music during a cinematic with Sophie in Besieged Farmlands.
•Weapons should now behave properly in the training areas.

CLOTHING
•The Athletic hoodie, blue now appears in the dressing room.
•Fixed several clothing items that had the wrong visual looks compared to their descriptions.
•Clothing in the item shop now matches their thumbnails.
•The Neutral Faction pants and jacket should now get delivered correctly when claimed.
•The Bubble Vest, blue item will now be delivered properly.
•Players can no longer buy anything they already own from the clothing vendor.

PETS
•Increased the size of pets.
•Pets no longer collide with players.
•Owl pets have had their visuals slightly improved.
•All dogs now look like shown in the preview in the item store.

CHAT
•Addressed an issue which could sometimes prevent players from using chat while the servers were under heavy load. We are aware that this fix will not resolve all of the current chat issues.
•The officers chat in a cabal is now restricted to only those that can see it.
•Fixed an issue where it was difficult to select a chat channel if you left the game via disconnecting.

COMBAT
•Hammer sounds have been improved.
•Updated the Striker ability to properly apply damage when the target is hindered.

CRAFTING
•Fixed several issues, including one regarding incorrect tooltips on QL 3 glyphs.
•Updated all mission rewards to properly decompose into dust/fire/water as appropriate.

DUNGEONS
•Hell Raised Normal - Recursia: Triggerthings have had their HP reduced by 20%. Elite and Nightmare Triggerthings are unchanged.
•Hell Raised Normal - Recursia: Phase 3 will now trigger at lower health. Elite and Nightmare modes are unchanged, and will continue to trigger at the previous (higher) values.
•Hell Raised Nightmare - Recursia: Recursia should now successfully cast Anima Eruption at any target in the fight, regardless of range.
•Hell Raised - Machine Tyrant: The Machine Tyrant should now hit his targets more consistently.
•The Darkness War : Nightmare mode buff Underworld Ward now works.
•Nightmare mode minibosses will now drop Nightwatch level glyph kits.
•Reduced the number of unique item drops from Nightmare bosses.
•Gatekeeper's Challenge : Gatekeeper's damage output was reduced slightly.
•Minibosses in Nightmare mode dungeons will now drop QL 10 blue items with a chance of QL 10 epic Glyph crafting kits.

GUI
•The particles for Immunity are no longer overwhelming and easily noticeable on the larger bosses.
•All guild related events (except for someone else in the guild joining up, leaving, and changing online status) should be displayed as onscreen messages now.
•Right clicking one item then left clicking another item will no longer both close the menu and pick up the item.
•Sending too much money should now only give you one onscreen message.
•Compose Letter is now correctly called Compose Mail
•Compose Mail "To(recipient's nickname):" text field only accepts characters, letters and hyphens, as intended.
•You can now use SHIFT-TAB to jump back between textfields when composing a mail.
•Mails are now marked as read properly.
•After confirming the deletion of a mail item, you will no longer have to manually select another mail - the next mail will be automatically selected for you now.
•Holding an item on the mouse pointer and then clicking the right arrow (next page on store and sell) no longer opens a deletion popup.
•"Expand Size Limit" in the store tab now looks like Expand size in your inventory.
•You will now get feedback if you try to remove funds from your Cabal bank and you are of too low a rank.
•Scrolling through your mail with the scroll wheel should now work correctly.
•Changed the color of the envelop asset from red to white.
•The prompt given to players when deleting mail with no attachments now reflects that there are no attachments in the message.
•Messages can now be sent if the message body only contains numerical characters.
•Fixed an issue with the Expand size on the store tooltip.
•The split item GUI should no longer misbehave when splitting a stack in the guild bank or store and sell tab.
•You are no longer able drag and drop items to the Compose Mail attachment through the Postal Service windows.
•Placing an item from normal inventory over the bank GUI will no longer cause the bank GUI to grab the item.
•Read mails now appeared greyed out after being read.
•Improved the visibility of receiving mail.
•Fixed the ability to send cash without having to write a message as well.
•Increased width of drop down menu components to support longer text.
•Players are not able to type more than 4000 characters in the text field. Larger text pastes will be truncated. There is no visual indication that you have reached the limit.
•Trying to take a mission that puts an item in the inventory when the inventory is already full now shows the message „One of the Mission Goals failed to create. Make sure you have an open slot in your inventory. „
•Depositing an item in the same cabal bank slot at the same time will no longer cause the player to become unable to receive items.

NPCS
•Spectres in Blue Mountain should now be a little easier to defeat.
•Teeth have been fixed on several NPCs.
•Lair monsters should no longer block the path to where Gravedust can be found.
•City of the Sun God : Sutekh no longer walks through rocks on his daily constitutional.
•New York : Fixed Charles Zurn's hair.

MISSIONS
•Players will now appear as they should in the first cinematic.
•Dragon - Into Darkness : Bong Cha's congratulatory phone call will no longer echo to bystanders.
•The Haunting: Fixed an issue where one task could fail during the mission.
•The end boss in the mission Too Deep, Neesh-Um, the Stalker of Nightmares, will no longer aggro the player until his adds are killed.

Kingsmouth
•Media popups for gravestones in Kingsmouth town should now appear correctly.
•Fixed rubberbanding issue in Kingsmouth sewers.
•Ravens will now properly fly off during missions when they are supposed to.
•Player can pick up the flamethrower and get the finished product when on Tier 3 of the mission Flame Away.
•Dead Air : The mission should always be completeable now. The crate will respawn after the filth hulk dies and can be interacted with so long as there are players with Tier 5 active.
•Dead Air : Waymarker is placed properly at the serial number location. The serial plate no longer has an empty tooltip.
•Ambushes are now triggering properly, and will solve the goal on any player near the Lost Drone.
•The Trapped Survivor in Kingsmouth Town should now respawn correctly after dying or completing the mission "That'll Leave a Mark".
•That'll Leave a Mark - Injured man will get into the fight more often, but if he manages to get to the sheriff without fighting, then the player can consider himself fortunate.
•A Sacred Place : Dragging zombies into the church awards group credit.
•Journey's End can now be shared.
•Adjusted the placement of the map and Beaumont's Notes in Dawning of an Endless Night so they no longer have clipping issues with the tables they are on.
•Made it more clear how to interact with the computer in Kingsmouth Code.
•Horror Show - Collecting cameras now awards group credit.
•Zen and the Art of Weapon Maintenance can now be shared.
•The buff provided by the Siren's Song during Dawning of an Endless Night now has a description.
•The Hunger : The Voracious Wendigo is now killable.

The Savage Coast
•Tolba Bay's zombie population should now stay dead longer.
•The Terrible Wendigo in Savage Coast no longer spawns right where the Council of Venice have set up shop.
•Jack's Back has had some improvements made to prevent some issues with the mission.
•Monsters should no longer fight players in Nicholas Winter's immediate vicinity.
•The Urn for mission 'The Black House' should now always be present if you are on the right tier.
•The Urn for The Black House in Savage Coast now does less damage if activated incorrectly.
•The Resident Horror should now always respawn properly for the mission Life Imitating Art.
•The Mud Golem encountered in 'Theme Park Tycoon' should now provide mission credit to all players who have engaged him.
•Poltergeists during the Strange Candle event in the Black House now have a proper name for the burning effect.
•Newspaper clippings for "The Black House" should now have proper subtitles.
•Taking the Purple : Made improvements to this to help ensure the ambushers will always spawn during tier 2.
•Increased the grace location on the telescopes so it's more lenient about where you can solve the mission A Reasonable Man.
•Hell Hath no Vacancy : Daniel Bach now has a more audible reason to appear unsettled during the cinematic.
•The Player, Not the Piece should now fail and resume correctly if you disconnected during the final event.
•Volatile Essence Flask inventory item now has an updated icon.
•Waypoint for the second mangled corpse in mission 'The Strange Boat House in the Mist' now correctly points towards the goal.
•The Angry Clown in the mission Theme Park Tycoon now properly wields his chainsaw.
•Ak'ab should no longer be able to move the wardstones with their dash during the Savage Coast ward defense for Dawning of an Endless Night.
•Added several waymarkers to mission 'Gravity'.
•Photographing monsters for Daniel Bach during "Bring it Bach" should no longer randomly award two updates for one picture taken.

The Blue Mountain
•Visuals for the trail will show properly in War of the Totems.
•The Filth Amendment : Subject Zero will now always spawn when all four spikes have been defeated. Spikes will recover from their wounds after 5 minutes and must thus all be defeated within that time.
•Off the Menu: The zombies during the Defending the piece of meat event are now less numerous and weaker.
•Homeland Insecurity - Checkmate beacon activation time has been rebalanced to take 2 seconds to activate.
•Homeland Insecurity - Penumbral brood queen has had her hitpoints reduced somewhat.
•Homeland Insecurity: The respawn rate of the Dreyrugr Lord for tier 2 was greatly lowered.
•The Orochi Group: When the player is caught by a drone or an agent, he will no longer have to fight a Corrupted Orochi while exiting the container.
•Scavengers: The difficulty of the Skeleton Crew mob spawned during the assault in Tier 1 was slightly lowered.
•Dawning of an Endless Night : Fixed an issue that prevented players from completing Tier 18 if they crashed during the cinematic in Tier 17.
•Dawning of an Endless Night : Disconnecting during a cutscene at the end of the mission will no longer strand you in black waters.
•Population of Ak'ab at Kraken Cove and in the immediate surrounding of the Mansion has been reduced.

The Scorched Desert
•"The Big Terrible Picture" in the Scorched Desert should now reset both the flames and crystals puzzles correctly.
•Ammunition crates gathered during "Ten Thousand Bullets" in the Scorched Desert should now give credit to all players in a team.
•The Ancient Tomb Guardian boss for "Black Sun, Red Sand" has been rebalanced to fit better with appropriate gear intended for the fight.
•Map marker for "Black Sun, Red Sand" tier 4 now has been updated.

City of the Sun God
•Funeral Pyre can now be shared.
•Ghoul, Well done can now be shared.
•Mission "Halls of Lost Records" should now be more multiplayer compatible.
•The mission "Foundations" has now made it back into the City of the Sun God. The mission is given by The Great Architect.
•Earthrifts in Dust Devils should now be more multiplayer friendly.
•The Eye of Horus ability no longer has a placeholder name.
•The mission starter for "She Who Likes Silence" in the City of the Sun God has been moved slightly, making it easier to pick up the mission.
•Waypoint marker for From Ashes now include all the urns.
•Mission marker for tier 3 of Mummy Issues in the City of the Sun God now points to the door of the Tomb.
•The Dark Places - Soul Corruptor no longer has a placeholder name for the ability that makes it take to the skies.

The Shadowy Forest
•Tenebrae : Tenebrae no longer keeps attacking when reaching 0 hp, and will resolve the mission goal properly.
•The siren song now plays at the end of the cinematic for "Fungal Fireworks".

The Besieged Farmlands
•Updated muzzle flash on Scarecrow shotgun to use a custom modified one that is now facing the correct way. Effects also updated to use better looking shotgun spray.

Carpathian Fangs
•Tweaked collision around Dracula's Castle in order to make the window more accessible.

ExReey

Nice work, Funcom!

So far this is the best MMO I've ever played (and I've played WoW, WAR, LOTRO, SWTOR and Tera). Never before in a game I had to look up King James' bible to get through a quest. AWESOME

I can't understand why there's next to no media hype about this game. Finally a developer has the guts to make a non-WOW MMO, and nobody notices.
Anyway, as long as Funcom keeps supporting the game and keeps adding content, I don't care how many gamers did or did not discover this gem. I'm enjoying it.

Truant

I think a strong player base will do it good. Word of mouth and good reviews will keep the players there. I'd rather have a slowly growing user player base than a rapidly declining one.

OTIX

Oh man, finally got the retail code from the shitty site where I bought it. Log in only to find out that they extended the grace period so I could have been playing all along... fml.

Most of us can invite. Put up your character name here and we can friend you or look for Area, Ezekiah, Ivie, or most anyone that's posted here for an invite. I think we've got all of em in.

I would like to get into the Illuminati GAF cabal. My name in game is Fourman.

I noticed when creating a cabal there are different government types. What is the meaning for that?

Ezio

So, what's the general impression amungst GAF for this game? I've been looking at it for a few days now and I'm still undecided about it. I've heard great things about the stories and quests, but I've heard the combat leaves something to be desired. Also, how does the armor look in this game, is it all basically "street" clothes that you see in the previews or is there real armor so to speak? Thanks!

So, what's the general impression amungst GAF for this game? I've been looking at it for a few days now and I'm still undecided about it. I've heard great things about the stories and quests, but I've heard the combat leaves something to be desired. Also, how does the armor look in this game, is it all basically "street" clothes that you see in the previews or is there real armor so to speak? Thanks!

Combat is flakey but game is very original setting and in it's questing. There is actual real world looking armor and some semi futuristic looking stuff as well a player can get, most people are in street clothes but that could change with time probably. You can just go back pages in the thread to see general consensus.

The only major issue really will be how well the game is supported from now on with content and how well the endgame pans out. Butthat requires some time to tell.

ExReey

You might also have a look a this post to get a general feeling of the game:
(Posted before in this thread)

The mission (quest) system in TSW is *very* different from nearly every other MMO. If you approach missions like you do in other MMOs, you might be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you *understand* the mission system and the design reasons behind it, you might find that you really enjoy it.

Don't think in terms of "quest hubs". Don't try to finish all the missions that are available at the first apparent "hub" you come to. That's not how this game is designed.

Also, don't think in terms of "I need to rush through all the zones to get to max level and the endgame." The endgame literally starts in Kingsmouth. Seriously. Yes, there is a short vertical progression whereby you get progressively stronger, but don't obsess over that. It will happen quickly and organically while you play the endgame, which starts the moment you exit Agartha in Kingsmouth.

Instead, understand that the multiple missions available at given "hub" are meant to *spread out the players*. They're not a laundry list of quests to complete first. If there are 4 different possible quests at a given hub, take your pick of one and follow it to the end. Meanwhile, other players are making different choices and the end result is that 25% of you go to one part of the map, another 25% go to a different part, and so on.

The next important thing to understand is that when you finish the last tier of a quest, STOP RIGHT THERE. Do not run back to the hub. Just phone in your reward right where you're standing, and then start looking around the current area carefully. In most cases, you should find some other "mission starter" of some sort very nearby. Usually within 50m of where you ended the mission you just finished. Take THAT quest and follow it to the end.

Now keep rinsing and repeating. Eventually you'll end up near that first "hub" again, and since it's nearby, that's the logical place to pick up the next mission.

LET the quests give you a tour of the zone. Your tour will be different from other player's because you're making different choices.

If you find yourself running back to a hub to grab the next quest from that hub, *you're doing it wrong*.

If you don't find a new mission starter within roughly 50m of where you ended the previous mission, report it as a bug. Seriously.

Now as to your queue:

There are three "activity mission" types: red (action), yellow (sabotage), and green (investigation), you can have only one activity mission in your queue at one time. These are typically given only by NPCs, and most (all) such NPCs are marked on your map.

There are also "item mission" types, which are a grayish green with stripes along the bottom. You can have up to three of these in your queue at any one time. These do not appear on the map, and they can be anywhere in the environment. You might want to mark them with a map marker when you find them, in case you want to repeat them again later.

Finally, you can have only one "storyline" mission (blue) in your queue at a time, and only one "group instance" mission (purple).

Don't see the limited queue as a detriment. See it as a reminder to really follow the story of each quest instead of treating things as a mindless laundry list. And remember: where one mission ends, there is usually another mission to start *very close by*, and if not that's actually a bug worth reporting. Although be aware that you might have to look carefully for it like many of the "clue hunting" mechanics of the game in general.

One last note: you cannot "drop" a mission. You can only *pause* a mission by taking another one of the same type. To resume a paused mission you *will* have to find the original place it started from and "start" it again. However, when you do this you actually resume the mission at the tier you paused it at. Be aware, though, that if you did not fully complete that tier before pausing it, you will have lost all progress *within* that tier and be starting at the very beginning of the tier again.

Carcetti

Game has had almost no marketing or hype behind it, lot of people seem to not know it exists. Lot of few people that knew of it wrote it off too because of Funcom and the negative early beta impressions. It's not really anything to do with WoW clones or being too different, the game just didn't get pushed at all and was lost in all the hype of the recent bigger games.

It should succeed as a niche MMO.

I really hope it does. The game has real personality and character. Think I'll keep it as my secondary MMO even when Pandaria hits.

Is the chainsaw a quest only item or is it something that can be used permanently?

I remember reading that there would be a wide range of weapons you could use in the game but there are only 9, belonging to three categories, Melee, Ranged, and Magic. Are there different "types" under each weapon class? I have heard people talking about using Uzis as a pistol equip and heard mention of a flame thrower?

I really love the disconnect between stat gear and clothing. Sucker for dress up I suppose. Unfortunately I really hate the camera/clothing preview. Wish there was a way to see your shoes rather than zooming way out and panning down or asking a friend to look at them for you. Would like to see something like Tera's zoom option, right before you get into your character's face it switches to a full body shot, then goes for the close up.

My favorite feature is the lack of levels. I was out of town all last week, but my wife stayed home. She's in love with the game and played it the whole time. Of course that means she's got like three times the AP build up than me, but we can still group together just fine.

Oh, have to tip my hat to Funcom for quest pausing.

derFeef

Is the chainsaw a quest only item or is it something that can be used permanently?

I remember reading that there would be a wide range of weapons you could use in the game but there are only 9, belonging to three categories, Melee, Ranged, and Magic. Are there different "types" under each weapon class? I have heard people talking about using Uzis as a pistol equip and heard mention of a flame thrower?

Basically you have 3 weapon groups with 3 sub-categories, as stated in the OP.
A pair of pistols can look like Uzis, revolvers etc, but it does not really affect anything else than flavour - you "enforce" the magic through the weapon of choice, not use the weapon per se.

Those weapons like the chainsaw and the flamethrower are mission specific, altough you can keep them if you want, but they have their fixed dmg I believe and run with limited ammo.

vaelic

Banned
so I dont see anything about "something wicked" being fixed that everyone seems to be complaining about in Kingsmouth

I use the SMAA injector posted earlier, not perfect, but miles better than FXAA.

Just tried it out. It has better performance for sure (60 vs 85), but I don't think it looks that good at all compared to FXAA. I also don't like how it rounds out UI elements and text. FXAA is sufficient for the time being, I'm just excited to try out the much hyped TXAA is all! lol. However, I read a post in the TSW forums that there's no ETA on when it'll be available. Seems like another Age of Conan DX10 scenario.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Chat still seems dead, which has me wondering. Someone replied to my question in General but its not the same as it was when it was working.

Gala

Hi SW-GAF! I have several questions regarding the game, hope you can help me out here.

How viable are melee builds? And are there some kind of mace/mhield combinations possible (maybe as a Templar?)

Is there the possibility to make the character cleric/paladin like?

Are accounts region-restricted or can I join every server I want?

And of course: Is there any kind of trial?

erragal

Hi SW-GAF! I have several questions regarding the game, hope you can help me out here.

How viable are melee builds? And are there some kind of mace/mhield combinations possible (maybe as a Templar?)

Is there the possibility to make the character cleric/paladin like?

Are accounts region-restricted or can I join every server I want?

And of course: Is there any kind of trial?

This game is contemporary so there are no shields. The closest you can get to a mace is a two handed hammer... I'm sure there are hammers that look mace like.

It might be a challenge thematically to make a cleric/paladin type character because none of the weapons and abilities have any sort of a holy vibe. Your best bet would be a hammer/fist character using the fist heal abilities to supplement the build... but there's not a ton of advanced synergy between fists/hammer.

Dimensions are global and there is even cross dimension play. There is a guest pass that can be given out by someone with the game.

Gala

This game is contemporary so there are no shields. The closest you can get to a mace is a two handed hammer... I'm sure there are hammers that look mace like.

It might be a challenge thematically to make a cleric/paladin type character because none of the weapons and abilities have any sort of a holy vibe. Your best bet would be a hammer/fist character using the fist heal abilities to supplement the build... but there's not a ton of advanced synergy between fists/hammer.

Dimensions are global and there is even cross dimension play. There is a guest pass that can be given out by someone with the game.

Thanks for the fast answer!

The hammer sounds really good, I guess I could live with that. Fists sounds good as well! Are there a lot of different fist weapons?

What I am really looking for characterwise is a balanced character that deals damage, but (best) gives buffs or healing at the same time. A really flexible character.

How long do these guest passes give access to the game? 7 days just as every other MMO?

Madouu

Well, faction rank mission 2 was interesting to say the least, died 5 times to the last part before figuring out a way to do it, which involved tacos..

I aggro'd the 2 templars + rogue agent to a little rock on the left of the island right next to where you jump in. That way I could finish off the ranged one, while the melee one would lose aggro and go back to the center. Afterwards I moved away from the rogue agent to get out of combat, ate a taco to heal as fast as possible and then finished the melee agent. Last fight was basically 1on1 at the green glowing statue, I survived with something like 100 health, pretty epic :D

Thanks for the fast answer!

The hammer sounds really good, I guess I could live with that. Fists sounds good as well! Are there a lot of different fist weapons?

What I am really looking for characterwise is a balanced character that deals damage, but (best) gives buffs or healing at the same time. A really flexible character.

How long do these guest passes give access to the game? 7 days just as every other MMO?

I was experimenting with a character like you're describing in beta using Elemental/Blood (both ranged) but it wasn't working out too well, instead I went full DPS route which has worked amazingly so far most of the time. I got a friend who is AR/Blood though and does some nice damage while being an excellent healer. The fact that you can unlock every skill in the game, and that most "skill trees" offer both a dps and a support route can make for some amazing flexibility. You can switch decks pretty easily to achieve a certain goal at a certain point of time once you have the abilities you want unlocked.

As far as guest passes are concerned, they're only for 24 hours but there is no limit to what you can access in the game. Sadly I have no buddy key right now, but I'm sure someone here in the thread will have one for you if you want to try it out.

Gala

I was experimenting with a character like you're describing in beta using Elemental/Blood (both ranged) but it wasn't working out too well, instead I went full DPS route which has worked amazingly so far most of the time. I got a friend who is AR/Blood though and does some nice damage while being an excellent healer. The fact that you can unlock every skill in the game, and that most "skill trees" offer both a dps and a support route can make for some amazing flexibility. You can switch decks pretty easily to achieve a certain goal at a certain point of time once you have the abilities you want unlocked.

As far as guest passes are concerned, they're only for 24 hours but there is no limit to what you can access in the game. Sadly I have no buddy key right now, but I'm sure someone here in the thread will have one for you if you want to try it out.

Thank you very much for the information! I'm not so much the range type, but if every "tree" is offering support routes as well, I can live with that. I would play a healing or tanking role, anyway. Sounds awesome that I can unlock every skill.

I really would appreciate a guest key, if anyone can spare one! The client is already downloading and I just bought some Red-Bull to play as much as possible :D

derFeef

Actually there is a Paladin deck for the Templars (sword/pistols). It's a supporting/healing build, like you would imagine a Paladin.

the outfit looks like this.
n25AN.png

But you can build your own Paladin for sure. Hammer and Fists maybe? :)

Edit: Oh they opened a new (RP) Dimension, nice!

derFeef

Holy crap content update plans!
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=42532

The first update is due on Tuesday, July 31st, and we will be releasing more details about that particular update later this week -- including a couple of fun surprises. (You're going to love it.)

* Mission packs on a monthly basis! The first few packs will contain new investigations for every adventure zone in the game -- but we also have more action and sabotage missions planned for the near future.
These missions will feature fully voiced cut-scenes and new media pop-ups, and will match the quality of the missions currently in the game

* New weapons! We will be announcing our first auxiliary weapon soon (one clue: bigger, slower, more explosions) and new auxiliary weapons will be released on a regular basis.
Combat in The Secret World will continue to evolve, and it will pay to expand your character in multiple directions!

Gala

Actually there is a Paladin deck for the Templars (sword/pistols). It's a supporting/healing build, like you would imagine a Paladin.

the outfit looks like this.
n25AN.png

But you can build your own Paladin for sure. Hammer and Fists maybe? :)

Well, now I really need to try this game out :D

That is so amazing. New investigations in every zone? Damn, I just hope this is satisfying enough to keep people subscribed. It is for me, because I really love their approach to missions.

After reading more. Damn - themed Hallows Eve/Solstice content even? This is a Lovecraft fans wet dream - May Eve I hope has some wild shit too.

Each month is good, but still we have to see it to believe. We constantly get new MMO's come out and say they are going to put out monthly content. After the first few months, this goes out the window when they can't keep up with the content delivery.

FGMPR

Banned
Each month is good, but still we have to see it to believe. We constantly get new MMO's come out and say they are going to put out monthly content. After the first few months, this goes out the window when they can't keep up with the content delivery.

Pretty much this. If they can actually produce a decent amount of fully-voiced, monthly content then word of mouth will likely carry this game to success, imo. As great as this team in particular's work has been in the past with TLJ and Dreamfall, however, its still Funcom we are dealing with here, and they don't exactly have a solid record when it comes to delivering on promises for their MMO's.

We'll see.

Yes very true, we'll have to see. But right now I'm excited, more so than I've ever been because to me the setting/universe this game is set in is really fantastic. Even if we can get a few years of continuous content from them I will be happy about it.

Pretty much this. If they can actually produce a decent amount on fully-voiced, monthly content then word of mouth will likely carry this game to success, imo.

They should be able to for the first couple months, after that though is hard to believe. They likely have content already done for the next couple updates they held back for post launch support.

Not sure how much success it will get, think it will stick to a happy niche stability perhaps like EVE. It's going to get overshadowed completely by GW2 soon.

Yes very true, we'll have to see. But right now I'm excited, more so than I've ever been because to me the setting/universe this game is set in is really fantastic. Even if we can get a few years of continuous content from them I will be happy about it.

Right now I would be more concerned with Funcom being able to provide several months of continuous content than years. There track record is not stellar on support. They likely have 2-3 months of updates ready to roll out already saved up from before launch work, but after that? RIFT is the only MMO I think that has been able to provide frequent and almost monthly updates so far while everyone else failed at it.

Soroc

I only found out about this game last week when it launched and the thread popped up on GAF.

Game really does look interesting and I watched a good hour of the beginning on youtube and really liked what I was seeing.

But and its a big but for me these days. I'm no longer day 1'n an MMO. I have too many in the closet.

So I'm keeping my eye on this game and hopefully will get a buddy pass or a trial will happen within the first few months and I'll check it out before buying this time.

In the meantime I'll keep reading and learning about the game and read your guys impressions until I find the right time to join in.

Man

I got a shotgun from the biker in kingsmouth (or rather, the small assembly mission next to him). I finished it and have an OK beginner weapon with a glyph slot. Placing the weapon and any glyph (I have tons) into the Assembly grid never highlights the assemble button however. What do I need to do?

Ps! Also kinda tempted to use 40 special coins for a Blue lvl 3 shotgun from the nearby vendor...

Uhm, Funcoms track record on post-game support IS stellar. Look at Conan, the next adventure pack is coming soon.

I'm really excited about this, but Funcom just recently finished the Rise of the Godslayer content for AoC which came out in 2010. They are generally pretty slow with content. I'm a huge funcom fanboy, but after their initial content updates, they get REALLY slow.

Gala

One last question, I guess. How is the item progression in the game visual-wise? Do you look badass pretty fast or is it kind like in WoW where you look like crap the first half of the game?

Top Bottom