• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

TheExodu5

Banned
This game has been such a nice surprise. Love the visuals. Love the atmosphere. Love how the story's being told thus far. Love the quests.

If I had to flaw the game for anything, it's that the combat could be better and more responsive, and the game is rather buggy atm (quests, chat).

Besides that, this is a really refreshing game after the last half-dozen WoW clones I've played. I was beginning to give up on MMOs.

kurahador

Urghh...chat was going alright for me but then there's a massive fps drop all of a sudden.
Relog into the game, fps drops are gone but now the chat stop working. The hell.

Man

As a Norwegian I can tell you that we find this incredibly cool of the developers: One of our greatest national heroes Roald Amundsen has actually a significant presence in the game. There's a large Norwegian article about his inclusion and the actor behind it (text and video):
http://www.vg.no/spill/artikkel.php?artid=10058709

The character actually talks Norwegian in the English game (with proper subtitles/english diaries). Ragner Tørnquist (Norwegian himself) sais he will have a central part for future TSW content...

Here's his Wikipedia entry which might spoil a bit in regards to the direction of the TSW story (he also mysteriously disappeared in 1928 so a perfect tie-in yeah): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roald_Amundsen

220px-Nlc_amundsen.jpg

Vlodril

Well the difficulty spiked like hell in the carnival in savage coast. I keep dying over and over. I managed to make it to the bogeyman but he destroyes me. I try to hide from his los when he starts the green stuff but i still cant kill him.

Well the difficulty spiked like hell in the carnival in savage coast. I keep dying over and over. I managed to make it to the bogeyman but he destroyes me. I try to hide from his los when he starts the green stuff but i still cant kill him.

Make sure you stand in the safe zone (the thick white circle area during his one green attack) - that got me a few times but once I realized it was actually a safe zone I was able to take him down in one try. Also the big AoE attack, with the purple/black thing that he charges up, stand in the middle house area.

Vlodril

thanks ill try again later. I ve done beating my head against the wall for now. Tried 5 times came nowhere near close to killing him except one time and i got attacked by the random carnie that summons other carnies and died.

thanks ill try again later. I ve done beating my head against the wall for now. Tried 5 times came nowhere near close to killing him except one time and i got attacked by the random carnie that summons other carnies and died.

Happened to me as well, it was definitely frustrating but I was doing it wrong and finally figured out his attacks.

Carcetti

Blue Mountain is difficult but you can make your life easier. Kingsmouth and Savage Coast have a lot of fights with weak zombies etc but Blue Mountain is all about not pulling more than 1-2 and going heavy single target damage. I switched my skills around and the place became a funfest!

bakeray

Snagged this on friday from Green Man Gaming for $37 and have been pleasantly surprised. After getting burned out already on Diablo with all of the issues it's been a good change of pace. I'm enjoying it more than SWTOR so far, the production on SWTOR may've been a little better but aside from the cutscenes it still seemed as if you were just going through the motions. So far I have found the writing in TSW to be better, still a little cheesy but you'll have that, but the way you go about solving the investigative quests and some of the other missions has really gotten my attention. Combine this with a user base that is much better than what I have been seeing lately and I'm having a great time.

The fact that you're not pigeonholed into a linear path of progression, i.e. Hellfire Peninsula -> Terrokar -> Nagrand -> 5 mans -> Heroics -> Raids etc and are actually encouraged to just follow a quest wherever it takes you and pick up more as you go makes you actually focus and care about the story/game as opposed to going to a central hub, loading up all the available quests and doing them in the most efficient manner via a crazy taxi arrow. At first this was hard to get used to, but after breaking myself of the WoW method of questing and embracing this new method I've found that I enjoy it much better, combine that with repeatable quests and even those who are further along in the game can come back and help those who just started out at any given time.

The skill system reminds me of the Sphere Grid from FFX, I love that you can change your play style up at any given time given that you have the points/skills. The only complaint is that it can be a little much when you first start out, but I think that was partly my own fault as I probably skipped some tutorials and am generally impatient. I'd say if you are on the fence for this one go a head and snag it, it's really been a breathe of fresh air for me, haven't had this much fun since WoW TBC.

vaelic

Banned
I recommend this game to those on the fence about it. I too was VERY on the fence after playing BETA but the atmosphere and quests are quite different than any other MMO currently out. I love the mood and setting and applaud the developers for thinking outside the box on this one.

It's a Funcom game so it comes with its share of bugs but nothing game breaking IMO.

Sigh, I've not seen a single peep in the chat window for over a day now... and I just recently added my name to the GAF spreadsheet so I don't know if I'm missing invites or whatever.

Here's hoping it gets fixed in tonight's patch (and that they enable the TXAA setting).

bakeray

One tip so far that I've found the most helpful is that if you drag any materials into the crafting window with left click, you can then right click each square you want one of those materials in and it'll automatically put it there without you having to individually split the stack x amount of times.

owlbeak

One tip so far that I've found the most helpful is that if you drag any materials into the crafting window with left click, you can then right click each square you want one of those materials in and it'll automatically put it there without you having to individually split the stack x amount of times.
I love you.

This fixes my main complaint with the game. :)

Excko

I'd be very interested in trying this game out. Does anyone have a 24h pass that I could use to try this game?

Thanks.

Vlodril

Haha. Well lets hope they plan on patching the chat prob thats why they killed it. And it was not unplanned. Although at this time its probably the second.

owlbeak

Patch tomorrow! Fixes chat issues and a bunch of things, amongst those is that it increases the size of the preorder and in-game store cats! I like this fix a lot because that cat is so tiny it's laughable. I also find that fix humorous. :)

Vlodril

Still got the chat bug. Day two in a row. Also encountered alot more bugs in savage coast.

I also used the steam overlay to answer a friend and the phone call from the hq was cut of(faction 5). Was it anything important?

Edited to add. Is the guy from the illuminati academy (hayden) the guy that played bran and a bunch of other chars on star trek or is his voice just so eerily similar ?

Isomac

I have been testing some PVP lately. Only play it if you are really bored. It's pretty much useless. I don't think anyone has even tried to balance it yet :p

I hope, I have enough time to check out Polaris tomorrow.

Man

Patch tomorrow! Fixes chat issues and a bunch of things, amongst those is that it increases the size of the preorder and in-game store cats! I like this fix a lot because that cat is so tiny it's laughable. I also find that fix humorous. :)
Hah. I actually appreciate that. It's as small as rat now, can't even tell if it has eyes.

owlbeak

Hah. I actually appreciate that. It's as small as rat now, can't even tell if it has eyes.
Yeah! I saw that change and was like "Yes!". It's funny but it's good to know that even the small things (no pun intended) are getting addressed.

oktarb

Investigation tips. I've only done four but here are my non-spoiler tips:

1) Google search it your friend unless you're an all star Jeopardy champ. Using it to look up the periodic table is not cheating. Looking up the YouTube vids that walks you through everything step by step is :p As a last resort you can ask for a hint from a cabal mate. I'd avoid general because you might get a rat bastard yelling thpoilerz.

2) Check your inventory. Sometimes things you find or get from quests will come into play.

3) Put your gun down and put your thinking cap on. These are hard, very hard. I find it best to take a break before tackling one.

4) I prefer doing the investigations after I've done most if not all of the zone. You understand the zone better, have seen the sight and in general have a far better chance of solving it.

5) Read you map. Shapes or words could be the key. Know your land marks.

6) Every TOOL at your disposal might come into play. Y you ask? Yes Y indeed.

7) If you hit a dead wall, stop and doing something else, explore, repeat a quest, go to bed. The solution might come to you. The reward is worth the time by a landslide.

8) Think before you click that yellow highlighted object. You can get answers wrong that will delay you.

9) Take notes during the verbal part of the quests and then revisit the quest log and read the quest description.

10) If its glowing yellow but you can't click on it try harder. Sometime the clicky icon is finicky as hell. Don't pass up a key clue because you think the yellow clicky object is bugged. Move the mouse around and find the sweet spot.

Hoplatee

Completed the first two zones. I suddenly have lots of problems in Blue Mountains. Challenging, I like it! That quest in the Mansion over there
where you travel in time with the mirror
is awesome.

The more I play the more I adore how much different this game tries to be in many ways compared to other MMO games.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
2nd faction assignment is eating my face. interesting, though. Putting some AP into survivability now. hope that insta-heal scales somehow...says healing stat doesn't affect it.

misterF

Neo Member
Just bought the game and I'm now waiting for the client to download.

I live in Asia, is it still possible to join GAF's cabal?

Man

'Servers/Realms/Dimensions' are global in this game.

The Cabal (aka guild) must be same faction though. I know there is Enlighted GAF for Illuminati, not sure what the others are.

PS! Is it possible to search up Cabals and ask for invite? If I if want to get invited into Enlighted GAF who do I need to whisper (game username please)?

xeris

'Servers/Realms/Dimensions' are global in this game.

The Cabal (aka guild) must be same faction though. I know there is Enlighted GAF for Illuminati, not sure what the others are.

PS! Is it possible to search up Cabals and ask for invite? If I if want to get invited into Enlighted GAF who do I need to whisper (game username please)?

Most of us can invite. Put up your character name here and we can friend you or look for Area, Ezekiah, Ivie, or most anyone that's posted here for an invite. I think we've got all of em in.

Madouu

I'm doing The Filth Amendment in the quarry right now and what can I say ... Don't wander in there unless you've got a group of 2 at least, one of you being a healer preferably.

edit : Oh apparently the quest is bugged for now :(

meep!

Neo Member
I'm really surprised at the lack of interest in this game, not only here on GAF but everywhere. I know alot of MMO-gamers who never heard of this. Usually people swarm to new MMO launches of bigbudget games.
It's pretty sad when this game actually is really good and quite original both in setting and gameplay.

People usually complain about all of these WoW-clones and now when a game clearly isn't that it's too different or something?

I think this is really a breath of fresh air in the MMO industry. It has some problems, but overall a very enjoyable experience. I think my main issue with the game is the stiff animations and they kind of kill the immersion of what otherwise is really good, the world and environments are gorgeous. I hope they will improve on the running and animations atleast.

Tworak

Good game! Auto-buy for me since I've had a love/hate relationship with Funcom since day1 of Anarchy Online.

Excited about patch but bummed about downtime. Pah.

kurahador

Well, I did my part of promoting this game to my mmo friends.

But currently all of them are so fixated on Guild Wars 2 it seems, for reason that the game is buy-to-play. :/

Top Bottom