• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

derFeef

I'm really excited about this, but Funcom just recently finished the Rise of the Godslayer content for AoC which came out in 2010. They are generally pretty slow with content. I'm a huge funcom fanboy, but after their initial content updates, they get REALLY slow.

Well yeah, I was just talking about content coming, not what timeframe ;) Since they never announced any plans for Conan except dungeons and a new adventure zone which came a year after release (?) you can't really compare it. But they never abondoned a game. I mean, look at AO.

One last question, I guess. How is the item progression in the game visual-wise? Do you look badass pretty fast or is it kind like in WoW where you look like crap the first half of the game?

Since your progress does not reflect your characters visuals (well, some good weapons do look nifty and then there are the Deck outfits), it's up to you how badass you want to look with buying clothes (IG and the shop), and what you declare to be "badass" ;)

Gala

Since your progress does not reflect your characters visuals (well, some good weapons do look nifty and then there are the Deck outfits), it's up to you how badass you want to look with buying clothes (IG and the shop), and what you declare to be "badass" ;)

So you can transfer your item stats from one to another?

derFeef

So you can transfer your item stats from one to another?

No, but there are kits that let you "copy" the look of your weapon to a new weapon. But the original one get's destroyed I think.

Talismans, which is basically your armor (head, hands, body, legs), does not alter the look of your character, it's just stats.

Gala

No, but there are kits that let you "copy" the look of your weapon to a new weapon. But the original one get's destroyed I think.

Talismans, which is basically your armor (head, hands, body, legs), does not alter the look of your character, it's just stats.

Ah ok! That sounds good! Thank you for answering my questions!

Still looking for a buddy key, though :p

Well yeah, I was just talking about content coming, not what timeframe ;) Since they never announced any plans for Conan except dungeons and a new adventure zone which came a year after release (?) you can't really compare it. But they never abondoned a game. I mean, look at AO.

Conan actually got 2 really great adventure zones not long after launch (Ymir's Pass and Tarantia Commons) as well as a large amount of raid content. It was the period after RotG launched that things got stale. Seriously, the hardcore have been grinding the same dungeons FOREVER. Luckily Tier 3.5/T4 raids are finally complete and working, so the hardcore guilds (We just cleared 3.5!!! GO IMMORTAL SOULS SERVER FIRST!!!!!!!) have something to keep them busy, but this is like maybe 3 guilds in the US. I think this is all due to a lack of early player retention, though. The game director claims AoC is more stable then ever, so I think after the next adventure pack, things can only go up. Anarchy Online still exists, but hasn't had a meaningful content update for a long time. Hopefully the engine upgrade revitalizes it and it gets a real expansion/adventure pack.

Back to TSW, though. If Funcom can keep up player retention at a decent level, TSW should be fine. While content doesn't come incredibly fast... it still comes. And bugs may last a LONG time... but they do get fixed eventually. I can only praise Funcom for sticking with things, so I'll be playing TSW for a while I'm sure. I still see why people are skeptics when it comes to timeframes, though.

What I really want, though, is a multi-game sub like SoE does. AO, AoC, and TSW for 20 bucks a month would be heavenly.

derFeef

Anyone know a source where I can download the launch trailer in 1080p? Watching it everyday.

from youtube :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yMIcKmsbzk

Edit:
Haha, I love Ragnar on the official Forums, wish we had him here too.
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=42552&page=17
ragnar said:
I am really excited. If you could see me now, you'd know just how excited I am.

Um. That sounded a bit creepy. Happy-excited! Not, y'know, excited-excited.

Anyways. Thanks for your kind words! And thanks for playing!

I'm such a sucker for Funcom games. I love the concept art & world, but the combat is turning me off a bit in videos. If anyone has a spare buddy code, please send one my way. Otherwise, I'll probably eventually pick it up anyways. :)

TimeKillr

Pretty much this. If they can actually produce a decent amount of fully-voiced, monthly content then word of mouth will likely carry this game to success, imo. As great as this team in particular's work has been in the past with TLJ and Dreamfall, however, its still Funcom we are dealing with here, and they don't exactly have a solid record when it comes to delivering on promises for their MMO's.

We'll see.

The thing with the way they did things is smart, though.

Their voice budget for quests is actually relatively small - there's only ever a few lines of spoken dialog at the beginning of the quest, and then that's it; there's no massively crazy involved cutscenes like in TOR, so they are actually MUCH cheaper to produce.

I think it's the right way to do voiced content - leave it to a minimum but make it good so that you won't realize that it's basically just a single voice actor talking a bit.

derFeef

The cutscenes are better animated thoughm, with camera angles and stuff. Really curious how this turns out and how much effort goes into it.

I'm such a sucker for Funcom games. I love the concept art & world, but the combat is turning me off a bit in videos. If anyone has a spare buddy code, please send one my way. Otherwise, I'll probably eventually pick it up anyways. :)

Just give it a try. You'll at least get your $50 worth if you just play it for a month. Combat is solid but can get a bit repetitive and spammy after a while, but the importance of movement seems to make up a bit for this. It's not AoC as far as combat is concerned, though. The planning seems to come before the fight rather than improvising within the fight since you don't have as many abilities (not many cooldowns to watch for) at your disposal. Still, the skills system is EXTREMELY deep, so there is loads of fun in that dept. Hopefully the new weapons make up for the lack of active abilities allowed.

Also, some people are hating on the PvP, but the battlegrounds are a lot of fun if you're creative with your spec. I cause impaired states through passive abilities proc'd by glances from enemies. Since my percentage in having attacks glance on me is high from the synergy in my build, sometimes I can chain stun other players, and this is great fun. There are plenty of similar ideas going on in other PvP builds I'm sure, and there is a lot of fun to be had in the discovery of new builds.

Arsin

Could I get an invite to the Illuminati cabal? Name is Brois.

Personally, I have having a lot more fun with the game than I thought I would be. The quests are super interesting and the zone design is surprisingly fluid. I am kicking myself for not making a tank or healer though, but oh well. Once I finish up my deck I will start getting some hammer or sword skills.

xeris

Could I get an invite to the Illuminati cabal? Name is Brois.

Personally, I have having a lot more fun with the game than I thought I would be. The quests are super interesting and the zone design is surprisingly fluid. I am kicking myself for not making a tank or healer though, but oh well. Once I finish up my deck I will start getting some hammer or sword skills.

Tried looking for you and adding you as friend but got the no such character message.

Hawk269

I bought the game from the official website, but how do I get a buddy key? I see so many people asking for a key and I would be willing to provide the one they give me, but never got one.

That state of the game post has me hyped. So much good content and fixes on the way. I really hope TSW can stay afloat once GW2/MOP comes.

Arsin

Holy shit, so I had no idea that my beta client that I had installed was only connecting to the testlive servers. I should be able to get that cabal invite now.

Man I feel like a dumb ass...

Edit: Oh man and now I don't have a character on the live servers :(

nataku

Holy shit, so I had no idea that my beta client that I had installed was only connecting to the testlive servers. I should be able to get that cabal invite now.

How far were you?

owlbeak

That happened to me last saturday when they originally ended beta access. Contact Funcom live chat, they'll transfer your cd key to the account with the beta characters so you can keep playing them.

I feel like i'm doing it wrong when I use an assault rifle at point black range. I keep trying to play this like an action game but moving and shooting doesn't work well.

kurahador

I just knew that the npc dialogues have more lines when you click on them, all the way until the green tick appears.
I feel so stupid now.

xeris

My Lumie's name is Ezekiah
Aten
. Those of you who've made it to Egypt can understand how some of the conversations have been downright uncomfortable.

derFeef

All the way up to the savage coast. Looks like they should be able to transfer the toon over to the live servers, so at least I have not been wasting my time.

Oh wow they do that? I wonder why since it's clearly a difference to Testlive(beta) and Live.

GLopez12

Neo Member
I decided to give PvP a shot today, and it is terrible. Damage is simply way too high. People die in one or two hits constantly. There's basically not even builds in PvP because people just stick to two buttons that can kill someone and just spam those. A few QL10 people said it gets even worse because damage outscales survivability. Not good at all.

I'll probably stick around for the leveling experience, and then bail. It's a fantastic single-player RPG, but it's probably not a good MMO for me since the PvP is lacking and endgame is going to be raiding-based.

fauxtrot

Banned
Anyone know how I would check to see if I have any buddy-codes (or whatever they're called) to give out? I'd like to hook up a fellow Gaffer or two, if possible.

EDIT: I figured it out. The first person to PM me their email address gets 24 hours in-game!

Vlodril

I just knew that the npc dialogues have more lines when you click on them, all the way until the green tick appears.
I feel so stupid now.

Fuck me.. I saw the green tick once and i thought hey maybe it has more convo but i didn't actually check it. I am facepalming so hard right now.

Well now i have to go back to every npc to see what more they have to say.

derFeef

Fuck me.. I saw the green tick once and i thought hey maybe it has more convo but i didn't actually check it. I am facepalming so hard right now.

Well now i have to go back to every npc to see what more they have to say.

Konrad in The Horned God is excellent, listen to his stuff :)

Top Bottom