• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

So I know mmos are not known for having endings, and all. Though does this game have a solid story that actually reaches a conclusion? Also how hard is it to solo? I really love the idea behind the game but I'm not a huge mmo guy! Thanks in advance guys!

Blitzhex

Is there any sort of free trial for this game yet?
I actually loved Age of Conan, is this game similar to it in any way?

edit: Oh, there's buddy invites. I'd trade a Red Orchestra 2 three day pass on steam for one.

Carcetti

I can't seem to find a Darkness War group. It's always a tank or healer needed and I'm just not in tanking mood this week. Did GAF get Polaris done, so we could move to Hell, DW and Ankh?

fauxtrot

Banned
Someone invite me to the Templar GAF cabal so I can start running instances! I am working on a tank build (blade/hammer) at the moment. In-game name is "El-Tee".

derFeef

So I know mmos are not known for having endings, and all. Though does this game have a solid story that actually reaches a conclusion? Also how hard is it to solo? I really love the idea behind the game but I'm not a huge mmo guy! Thanks in advance guys!

I don't know about an overall ending, I only know that there are several storylines throughout the zones. I am still at the first bigger storyline taht drags you through Solomon Island (Dawning of an Endless Night) but I heard good things from those who finished it. Also some of the missions have good story stuff, there is even an author dude in a Lighthouse who want's you to collect his manuscript pages of a story he wrote! ;-)

I can't seem to find a Darkness War group. It's always a tank or healer needed and I'm just not in tanking mood this week. Did GAF get Polaris done, so we could move to Hell, DW and Ankh?
We wanted to do Polaris yesterday but it was bit of a pain because of the Chat problems, communicating is troublesome. Maybe we should try it again today.

Yeah, I'm up for Polaris later as well. I've yet to do any dungeons because by the time I felt I was "ready" for them, the chat bug hit and I haven't been able to form a group since. I'm now QL6/7 so Polaris should be fairly easy, right? Lol

Effect

Going to assume that it will have endings to major story arcs but it will never be "over". Games like Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft all had major story arcs for you to follow and those arcs did have endings. Usually be the time you finished all the quest in a zone and were lead elsewhere. However when a major update happen or a new expansion came out something was officially closed (couldn't be redone on another playthrough) and a new part of the story started up. World of Warcraft has been pretty good about this. Cataclysm being the biggest example of really shaking things up story wise. The actual Warcraft storyline has continued to progress in the game post Warcraft 3 with
fall of Arthas
(Wrath of the Lich King expansion), changes in leadership for the various factions, etc. Though these games had the big events take place in raids and very high level dungeon areas. Something I actually hope The Secret World doesn't do (having raids to end stories before they launch a new one). Those can be very time consuming.

Effect

Finally managed to get the game for a price I wanted and could afford at the moment, under $40. Amazon marketplace can be good if one is patient enough. Decided to forgo some other games as I was iffy on them anyway. Being somewhat disappointed freed up the money that was going to go towards that. As well as getting The Last Story cheaper tanks to NewEgg. Should be into the game fully sometime next week I hope unless it gets shipped faster.

I'm glad I didn't get the game right away and was able to play thanks to the preorder code. I still want to play the game now. I still find the setting, missions, overall presentation interesting. I even found that the combat had grown on me as well. This was made more clear to me last night after being able to log into The Old Republic for a few minutes do to it now being free to play for the first 15 levels. What I didn't want to happen with The Secret World was to get it day one and then grow to regret my purchase a few days later. Feeling I wasted my money. That's happen with the past few MMOs I've gotten. Though I grew to like them to some degree that feeling was always there. So waiting after playing has been a good thing here.

I don't think my MMO fatigue has totally gone away, more likely that I found the source and as a result my tolerance for the same old formula is just no longer there. TSW thankfully does a lot of things (not all) differently enough that it actually feels fresh to me.

I just hope there are more social elements for cabals that will be added. There is an actual club in London it seems that is closed off. That would be a good place. Sort of like the clubs that were in Omni 1 in Anarchy Online where people went just to hang out, show off different out fits, had contest, etc.

Truant

Not sure if I understand the dual weapon system.

So, you can only have seven active and passive skills at a time, I get that.

If I'm planning on using two weapons, let's say pistols and fist weapons, do I need to have four pistol skills and three fist skills on my hotbar? Or is there a better way of doing it?

Finalow

it seems that I need 5 more gb to play - finally - this game. fortunately after my pc crashed I didn't need to download the whole 15 gb again.

Madouu

Made it to Egypt, I've still got two missions left to do in BM though, The Darkness War and Win-Win. I'm a bit too tired now for an investigation mission and finding a group for a dps is a bit of a hassle when none of your friends are on.

Last part of dawning of an endless night was interesting to say the least, it felt as though it didn't really conclude this part of the story but just opened up even more possibilities. I still don't know what to think about the very last part.
Do you really have the option to not accept the gift? I right clicked it expecting being given the option to accept it or refuse it, but instead it automatically counted as me accepting it. I'm kind of wary now because I sure as hell didn't trust that voice!

If I'm planning on using two weapons, let's say pistols and fist weapons, do I need to have four pistol skills and three fist skills on my hotbar? Or is there a better way of doing it?

It's your call. You adjust your build to achieve whatever you want. You can have any number of pistol or fist skills whether active or passive as long as you respect the 7 of each quota. The weapons themselves only contribute to your stats (much like your other equipped items) and which skill trees you can choose from. To be able to use fist skills, you'll need a fist weapon equipped, but that's all.

edit : oh yes you can equip passives from other weapons, I forgot about that.

You can pick any skill combinations you want, even pulling passives from other weapons not currently equipped. Typically you'll pick a builder that fits your place style that generates resources for both weapons then just equip their consumers.

Truant

Ok, thanks guys!

I'm ditching my shotgunner. He has a little of everything, and he's basically my "figuring out the game" character.

I want to try a DPS/Self-Heal, like the Bounty Hunter from TOR. Is the AR/Fist combo any good? Or should I do AR/Blood?

Madouu

I even found that the combat had grown on me as well.

I'm liking the combat too. I like the fact that the game forces you to figure out the best way to maximize profit from the synergy between your skills as some of the fights get pretty challenging very early on. The combat is pretty active too and is not just a spam click snore fest, it's often pretty tactical and challenging, and even more in the dungeons I've tried.

Ok, thanks guys!

I'm ditching my shotgunner. He has a little of everything, and he's basically my "figuring out the game" character.

I want to try a DPS/Self-Heal, like the Bounty Hunter from TOR. Is the AR/Fist combo any good? Or should I do AR/Blood?

I prefer the AR/blood combo but that's just my biased opinion :D

Ezio

How are spells in this game? I'm thinking of going as a pure magic user like I do in most games. Would I be able to use swords with spells? Thanks guys!

Man

Yes, you can use both swords and spells simultaneously.
The Chaos spell direction is actually of the 'tai-chi' variant or kung fu spells if you will. Like seen in Jade Empire. Don't see that too often in gaming.

How are spells in this game? I'm thinking of going as a pure magic user like I do in most games. Would I be able to use swords with spells? Thanks guys!

My wife has been playing Chaos/Swords and I was AR/Blood but I've switched to Fist/Blood (prefer heals not dependant on mobs being in LoS). It may take some AP grinding, but you can find a way to make almost any combination work. You could easily use a sword builder that gives you resources for your magic or vice versa.

I need to build up a dps gear set, I'd like to play around with elemental.

Effect

That is one somewhat annoying thing. If you decided to switch to a different combat ability you have to (I feel, could be wrong) go back to the the beginning areas to redo missions to get more AP and SP if you haven't saved up any. Grinding of a sort. You'll be able to blow through them though since you know what to do and your health and defense should be high as long as you put points into talisman skills. Though I wonder if you don't have to go back and could continue. Would enemies simply be to much if you are in the Savaged Coast or anywhere else?

derFeef

That is one somewhat annoying thing. If you decided to switch to a different combat ability you have to (I feel, could be wrong) go back to the the beginning areas to redo missions to get more AP and SP if you haven't saved up any. Grinding of a sort. You'll be able to blow through them though since you know what to do and your health and defense should be high as long as you put points into talisman skills. Though I wonder if you don't have to go back and could continue. Would enemies simply be to much if you are in the Savaged Coast or anywhere else?

If you are in Savage Coast already there is no point in going back to Kingsmouth, as points would come much slower than in Savage Coast. SC gives you AP/SP really fast if you do missions.

edit: on another note, your first skill in the inner circle could still be a great one, even if you are band10 already as it depends on the state effects etc. The damage scales with your gear / skillpoints, too. Just look at some of the Decks, the often use inner circle skills.

Arsin

Well it seems that they can't transfer my character over from the testlive servers. So I am going to start a new one here soon, what does the guild need? Tanks, healers, melee dps, ranged dps? I don't mind playing whatever the guild needs most.

My character's name is Brois, if I could get in invite to the Illuminati cabal that would be awesome.

owlbeak

Ugh, logged in a bit ago and chat was broken again. :(

My character's name is Brois, if I could get in invite to the Illuminati cabal that would be awesome.
I could be wrong, but I think you have to be online for a Cabal invite. I added you to my friends list so when I see you pop on, I'll shoot you an invite.

Sorry if this has been asked before but how big is the client download and final install? I think I might pull the trigger this afternoon and I now really regret missing that GMG 25% off sale. I see it for about $40 on Amazon but not really willing to wait on a physical copy to arrive.

Wife and I will be playing together and most likely be joining the Templar faction. What time does Secret GAF normally play? Do you use Mumble, Vent, or anything?

derFeef

Sorry if this has been asked before but how big is the client download and final install? I think I might pull the trigger this afternoon and I now really regret missing that GMG 25% off sale. I see it for about $40 on Amazon but not really willing to wait on a physical copy to arrive.

Wife and I will be playing together and most likely be joining the Templar faction. What time does Secret GAF normally play? Do you use Mumble, Vent, or anything?

Most of us seem to be in the US but I see people online all the time from the Spreadsheet (I have not added all yet). Fresh downloaded client should be around 35GB, but it adds up after patches since the database files are getting bloated and not compressed how they should (this feature will come luckily).

I personally am online around this time (it's evening for me) mostly.

About Mumble ... we should really get a server, would be highly helpful.

xeris

Last part of dawning of an endless night was interesting to say the least, it felt as though it didn't really conclude this part of the story but just opened up even more possibilities. I still don't know what to think about the very last part.
Do you really have the option to not accept the gift? I right clicked it expecting being given the option to accept it or refuse it, but instead it automatically counted as me accepting it. I'm kind of wary now because I sure as hell didn't trust that voice!

To answer the spoiler:
I jumped off the cliff instead of clicking. All the way down the voice cursed at me, told me I'd be destroyed by the coming darkness, etc.

Most of us seem to be in the US but I see people online all the time from the Spreadsheet (I have not added all yet). Fresh downloaded client should be around 35GB, but it adds up after patches since the database files are getting bloated and not compressed how they should (this feature will come luckily).

I personally am online around this time (it's evening for me) mostly.

About Mumble ... we should really get a server, would be highly helpful.

What would be the ideal user # for a Mumble server?

Vlodril

Hey anyone knows if there is a site or something that has gathered the fake sites Funcom has made for the game? I know there is kingsmouth.com and the kingsmouth-current and orochi-group.net but i wondering if there is one for the illuminati or savage coast and for the other areas you visit in general.

Salz01

Not that I want to turn this thread into a buddy key beg thread, but does anybody have a spare key? I want to try this out, just not sure of it. I missed the beta weekend when they had it.

Ok, I do have an extra key. I am too lazy to look, so can the first person who asked for it please pm me their email. No lying!

derFeef

Just arrived in BM, still so good!

7552231800_5bccbe7f4e_b.jpg

Could we not just use the existing GAF Mumble server?

I had no idea there is one! Who should I ask about it?

Since most content in the game has cross-dimensional functionality, what are the advantages to being in the same dimension?

Is a dimension basically like a large lobby in Secret World?

owlbeak

Since most content in the game has cross-dimensional functionality, what are the advantages to being in the same dimension?

There's not really any advantage other than you'll run into your friends more if they're in the same dimension as you. Dimensions are just like how servers are in all other MMOs, the only difference in this one being they're more like separate whole-game instances all within the same server. That way you can communicate with anyone on any dimension, invite people from other dimensions to your group, etc.

derFeef

The persistent PvP warzone (Fusang) is the only thing that is dimension specific. The factions can work towards a world domination that gives a buff to every member of that faction on this very dimension.

The small scale PvP playfields are not tied to any dimension so you can group up with everyone and join the game there.

There's not really any advantage other than you'll run into your friends more if they're in the same dimension as you. Dimensions are just like how servers are in all other MMOs, the only difference in this one being they're more like separate whole-game instances all within the same server. That way you can communicate with anyone on any dimension, invite people from other dimensions to your group, etc.

The persistent PvP warzone (Fusang) is the only thing that is dimension specific. The factions can work towards a world domination that gives a buff to every member of that faction on this very dimension.

The small scale PvP playfields are not tied to any dimension so you can group up with everyone and join the game there.

Thanks for the explanations.

GAF seems to be spread out a bit according to the spreadsheet so I guess it doesn't matter what dimension I choose.

Any idea how Black Marks of Venice are rewarded. I know they're rewarded in El Dorado and Stonehenge PVP but is it per round, per session, every 30 minutes or what?

Top Bottom