• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

Vlodril

Seriously? i think the graphic engine is fantastic. Such atmosphere. Great lighting. Great effects. I remember SWTOR with its crappy paint on textures and cringe.

Btw. What do you have to do to get the faction quest for the illuminati at 6? I got a phone call that said congrats and thats it.

derFeef

Yeah, game looks fantastic at times.

7557651104_691542b59d_h.jpg

granted there are places which look worse, but that's to be expected.

vaelic

Banned
Same here, most likely to "appeal to the masses" but the refernece point he used was off. Something about it being a game through a "terrible Lynchian lens with a Second World graphics engine".

I disagree on both. Maybe I'm missing the Lynchian influence? Lovecraftian, without a doubt, it's clear. But David Lynch?

Anyway, I called him out on it on Twitter and he never responded. My guess is he didn't play it (in his tweet it said "From what I've seen".)
Like I said earlier Jeff is just a negative person. He needs to understand how an mmo works before calling shit out. Half of his info was wrong

derFeef

At least he pointed out the good points too, but saying the mission system (and it's "restrictions") is a reason to artifically stretch out the gametime and get more money out of the players that way was ridiculous.

Finalow

damn. are servers down or something?
I finally started to play it for the first time with the buddy code but when I try to log-in it just stays in "connecting to the authentication server..." doing nothing.

Hoplatee

Question about a mission you 'need' for Templar Rank 10, I'll spoiler it just in case.

It says it requires to have completed the London Underground mission. When/where do you receive it? I just got summoned to Besieged Farmlands. I am guessing you get called to London at some point? (still have the WHOLE of Lost City to do :x

edit : Never mind, got the call!

xeris

I just created a NeoGaf chat channel in game. It should be cross faction but I don't think it's persistent. Either way /chat join NeoGAF should get you in if one of y'all wanna give it a try.

Hoplatee

Just finished the Main Story line. Enjoyed the whole ride.

Though it sucks that it is over so soon. I didn't even quest in any of the last 4 zones. Started that Mortal Sins Storyline and enjoyed it so much that I just kept going and then it was over. :( Was hoping there would be more after I completed Mortal Sins to the main story to lead me along in those last zones. I know you visit them all for Mortal Sins but still it felt a bit.. Eh, I don't know really. Feels 'completed' way too early but then again, I played it for way too much. Obviously there is way more coming. I wonder if they will fit in the choices you made or that it did not matter at all what you picked.

Man

I love how the crafting/assembly system is a copy of Minecraft. Laying out resources in a pattern to make whatever desired.

dejan

Watched the GB Quick Look and now I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one. If The Secret World had a combat system comparable to TERA's I'd probably be on board already.

derFeef

Gonna watch this today.
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=43751
Tomorrow, Friday July 13th, Creative Director and Senior Producer Ragnar Tørnquist and Lead Content Designer Joel Bylos will defy all superstition and host an exclusive live stream of The Secret World.

The stream will start at 5pm CET (11am EST / 8am PST) and will be hosted on TheSecretWorld channel on Twitch.TV. During the event, the two lead developers will play select parts of ‘The Secret World’ and offer unique insight into the game and the development process.

I played this for like 6 hours straight yesterday and got so engrossed that I completely forgot about the Steam sale. Nooooooooooo...!!

I think I love this game. It's like playing a Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines MMO. The rich storytelling, characterizations, and atmosphere are very reminiscent of VTM and games like The Witcher. This is one of the few times where an MMORPG actually feels like an RPG.

I'm looking forward to the monthly updates but I hope there is at least 200-300 hours of content in the game now because I don't want it to ever end.

Just wanted to say that the Atlantic City Amusement Park quests / investigations are really really good. Savage Coast in general is pretty great. There's so much positive to say about this game.

Carcetti

I really want to get in an instance now but it seems harder and harder to find a group as DPS at least in my timezone. So later today I'm up for Darkness War or Ankh. Or maybe I'll bite the bullet and respec tank again crafting a ton of hp gear. Sigh.

derFeef

I really want to get in an instance now but it seems harder and harder to find a group as DPS at least in my timezone. So later today I'm up for Darkness War or Ankh. Or maybe I'll bite the bullet and respec tank again crafting a ton of hp gear. Sigh.

I hear that often, hm. We should try today for real! Maybe use the Gaf Mumble server. even
I can make an OK tank, so that is down :)

edit: wargh sorry for DP.

Dits

Love the idea that the story will continue in areas as the months go on. So we could end up with a Zombie free Kingsmouth or a new threat etc. Who said MMO's are stagnant boring hubs of go kill 10? :)

derFeef

Love the idea that the story will continue in areas as the months go on. So we could end up with a Zombie free Kingsmouth or a new threat etc. Who said MMO's are stagnant boring hubs of go kill 10? :)

Kinda spoilery, so I keep it in tags. They "slipped" some details about something in an interview.

Project
Exodus: It will change an existing playfield completely depending on player descisions (I guess there is some statistics, votes...) - it will be drastically different and offer new things obviously

We will see :)

Is there an easier way to activate special weapons like the Flamethrower? You can equip the weapon but then it seems like you have to open your inventory menu and click on the ammo to activate it. Is there a way to shortcut this and other items like it? This would be useful for consumables too...

derFeef

Is there an easier way to activate special weapons like the Flamethrower? You can equip the weapon but then it seems like you have to open your inventory menu and click on the ammo to activate it. Is there a way to shortcut this and other items like it? This would be useful for consumables too...

Open your inventory and hit that plus sign to make a new bag. You can then resize that bag how you want (like a hotbar e.g) and lock it, so it stays always on the screen.

Dits

Kinda spoilery, so I keep it in tags. They "slipped" some details about something in an interview.

Project
Exodus: It will change an existing playfield completely depending on player descisions (I guess there is some statistics, votes...) - it will be drastically different and offer new things obviously

We will see :)

Fantastic idea, would love to see it implemented.

Did you ever play Fallen Earth? They had a town called Monkey Town which was run by intelligent mutant gorillas (lol) with full quest lines etc. Few months into the game they had a story which resulted in the town being burnt down and all the Gorillas killed. It's still like that today.

It's what MMO's should be not just WoW clones

derFeef

checked the op but didnt see anything dose gaf have a preferred server?

I guess I need to add this to the OP, finally :). You can play/group/form cabal with everyone, no matter what "server" they are on. The only restrictions is the the persistant PVP zone, as it is Dimension specific.

Is there any downside to completing the main story mission in an area? I'm working on the Dawning of an Endless Night and am moving along into the later tiers (and I'm really enjoying it) but if I complete it do I still have access to all of the local missions etc?

checked the op but didnt see anything dose gaf have a preferred server?

Most of us are split between Arcadia (RP Dimension), Cerberus, and Grim.

It doesn't matter what dimension (server) you choose because you can chat, party, quest, do dungeons and instances, etc. with anyone from any dimension. Social lists are cross-dimensional too.

The only restrictions are that Cabals (guilds) are limited to a single faction (Dragon, Illuminati, or Templar) and the Fusang PVP battle zone is limited to participants from the same dimension (other PVP warzones are not restricted.. just Fusang).

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
aw cool didnt keep up with the game much only the first 3 teaser trailers and some of the concept art opted for beta but didnt get in so had no idea how the server infrastructure worked

Carcetti

Is there any downside to completing the main story mission in an area? I'm working on the Dawning of an Endless Night and am moving along into the later tiers (and I'm really enjoying it) but if I complete it do I still have access to all of the local missions etc?

The story is tied to the area, generally, and you meet a lot of NPCs and so on in the side stories. You'll appreciate the main story more if you take your time and do the side missions first.

Thanks, Carcetti.

I've done a good number of the quests in Kingsmouth already but I figured it would be best to hold off and finish up as much as I can before finishing up the overall arch.

Carcetti

Thanks, Carcetti.

I've done a good number of the quests in Kingsmouth already but I figured it would be best to hold off and finish up as much as I can before finishing up the overall arch.

Sounds good. Not to mention the fact that most side quests are awesome instead of filler, so it's nice to get them done!

vaelic

Banned
I guess I need to add this to the OP, finally :). You can play/group/form cabal with everyone, no matter what "server" they are on. The only restrictions is the the persistant PVP zone, as it is Dimension specific.

sent u a pm with helpful links for OT. did ya get it?

Top Bottom