• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

panda21

how do you tesselation in this? i have a dx11 card but it wouldnt let me turn it on for some reason.

the graphics settings seemed kind of weird, it didnt even turn on AA unless i put it on high

derFeef

Tearing will always be an issue if not vsynced, you can try to force it via driver or d3doverrider.

Regarding the tesselation problem - what card do you have? It should work - 4 options. Off, Ground only, World only, Ground and World.

nataku

Has anyone else had issues where the assembly window won't let you put mats in it? I was trying to shift+right click place dust one by one to make potions, but the game wasn't putting things in place even though it was reducing the count of dust in the stack.

I put the dust back in my inventory and relogged, which fixed the bug... but the game ate all my dust.

panda21

Tearing will always be an issue if not vsynced, you can try to force it via driver or d3doverrider.

Regarding the tesselation problem - what card do you have? It should work - 4 options. Off, Ground only, World only, Ground and World.

thats weird, its just greyed out so i cant choose any tessellation options, but it also says dx11 is enabled. i wonder if its because i'm running it on windows 8 or something. my card is a gtx 560 which i think should be able to handle it.

Madouu

Has anyone else had issues where the assembly window won't let you put mats in it? I was trying to shift+right click place dust one by one to make potions, but the game wasn't putting things in place even though it was reducing the count of dust in the stack.

I put the dust back in my inventory and relogged, which fixed the bug... but the game ate all my dust.

By any chance, was there any kind of game message showing up at the top center, such as when you win AP/SP points. I have noticed that trying to move items around when your inventory is right on top of said message, tends to make the ui bug out.

You would still be able to move your items, except they don't end up where you are clicking with your mouse cursor. It could explain how you lost your mats if the game thought you were trying to destroy them. But usually, there's always a confirmation message that pops up before that so I may be just wrong.

nataku

By any chance, was there any kind of game message showing up at the top center, such as when you win AP/SP points. I have noticed that trying to move items around when your inventory is right on top of said message, tends to make the ui bug out.

You would still be able to move your items, except they don't end up where you are clicking with your mouse cursor. It could explain how you lost your mats if the game thought you were trying to destroy them. But usually, there's always a confirmation message that pops up before that so I may be just wrong.

Nope. I didn't see any sort of confirmation, either. The mats were in my inventory when I logged out, because I put them right next to the toolkit I was using.

Madouu

Nope. I didn't see any sort of confirmation, either. The mats were in my inventory when I logged out, because I put them right next to the toolkit I was using.

Damn, that sucks ... Well I guess you can't do much more than report and maybe /petition it and hope it doesn't happen again. I know they've fixed a lot of specific bugs I've reported personally.

First experience in Polaris was ... not good. Took forever to get a group because there aren't many tanks and the one we finally got didn't do good at all. I couldn't attack for more than 3 seconds without getting aggro. Healer couldn't keep up with the damage and we couldn't even finish the instance.

I'm going to start leveling hammer so I can tank myself. Game could really use a group finder tool for dungeons too.

First experience in Polaris was ... not good. Took forever to get a group because there aren't many tanks and the one we finally got didn't do good at all. I couldn't attack for more than 3 seconds without getting aggro. Healer couldn't keep up with the damage and we couldn't even finish the instance.

I'm going to start leveling hammer so I can tank myself. Game could really use a group finder tool for dungeons too.

I believe a group finder like that has already been planned to be coming soon. I had the same issue in trying to find people to run it.Ended up totally skipping it and my first dungeon was in blue mountain and that went quite well. The dungeons are very cool.

nataku

Is there something more I need besides mats + consumable toolkit to craft potions?

Since the game ate my dust I moved to making some HoT's but the game won't let me make them. I'm using the correct mats in the proper shape with the proper quality level toolkit but the assemble button doesn't light up.

To make sure I was using the right ql level toolkit I bought all the ones available and none of them work.

Water + consumable toolkit = HoT potions, right? The mats should be in the shape if a potion bottle?

nataku

Yeah, I figured it out. I really wish they would separate the mats more. It's annoying that "normal" mats, for example, cover multiple consumable toolkits that have different QL's. I had to buy all the toolkits that covered normal mats before I found which one I needed. It doesn't help that all mats are all QL0, regardless of their actual quality.

panda21

Listening to the bombcast I don't really agree with Jeffrey about the quest stuff, I think its really cool that they give you problems to solve.

Totally agree about the intro though, it made no sense to me, especially the magic wasp eating.

Listening to the bombcast I don't really agree with Jeffrey about the quest stuff, I think its really cool that they give you problems to solve.

Totally agree about the intro though, it made no sense to me, especially the magic wasp eating.

my guess is the intro will make sense at the end of the story line. We'll see though.

derFeef

Is there a quick way to drag a single item out of a stack?

Pick up stack, right click on empty inventory slot.

it's a bee! Gaia sent out bee's to help her. It's all about the bees ;)

Gotta man up and start tanking. Tanking is the shiznit and always will be.

vaelic

Banned

Jeff was way off base

RaffAO

I did, still tears. 6870. I am running Windows 8 preview though. Going to try it with Win 7 later.

Funcom patched out the v-sync option from AoC with no explanation (and d3doverider couldn't force it on ati+vista), they love screen tearing.

Madouu

Yeah, I figured it out. I really wish they would separate the mats more. It's annoying that "normal" mats, for example, cover multiple consumable toolkits that have different QL's. I had to buy all the toolkits that covered normal mats before I found which one I needed. It doesn't help that all mats are all QL0, regardless of their actual quality.

If you hover over a toolkit, you can see which quality material you need for it though. But I agree, it should be made clearer, not everyone does notice it the first time.

Some love it, some hate it. I have noticed that this game caters to a very specific demographic. There's a lot of funcom loyals of course, but there's also quite a few mmo newcomers, and the community seems pretty much more mature than most online games I've played. And I've played a lot :D

Personally, I loooove the quests. It's amazing that they're still keeping my attention to almost every detail even after sinking over 100 hours in the game (counting playtime in Beta and release).

TheExodu5

Banned
I can't believe how difficult Dead Air is. Tried forever to decipher the morse code. Ended up getting an app on the iPhone to do it for me. -_-

Madouu

I can't believe how difficult Dead Air is. Tried forever to decipher the morse code. Ended up getting an app on the iPhone to do it for me. -_-

You can go back a few pages to see how a few of us did it and compare. It's a good challenge if you have the tools for it, else it can be more of a hassle. Also, wait till you try to do the signal effect quest!

dokish

Banned
Is this the kind of game that you feel 'left behind'? I was a great Ragnarok online player in my high school years. But today I'm in college and can't sit all day and play this, and I really hate tha feel "somebody is getting tons of cool shit and leveling up while I'm doing this"; and then when you login, you feel cheap, underleveled, no match for the people that can play more than you do.

Damn, I really wanna play this. :p

Madouu

Is this the kind of game that you feel 'left behind'? I was a great Ragnarok online player in my high school years. But today I'm in college and can't sit all day and play this, and I really hate tha feel "somebody is getting tons of cool shit and leveling up while I'm doing this"; and then when you login, you feel cheap, underleveled, no match for the people that can play more than you do.

Damn, I really wanna play this. :p

I think you might be describing diablo III here :D

Honestly, there's this feeling in pretty much every game, if you play less than your friends you will ultimately feel left behind, but in The Secret World's case most of us have been enjoying every bit of the world and story and are really taking our time with the game. It helps that there is no real level cap to reach in the game. So yeah, I don't think this should be too much of a worry, I wouldn't describe TSW as a competitve game, far from it.

Well aside from dungeons, and cabal rankings that is. I take pride in being the best zombie killer in illuminati gaf for example.

arimanius

Deleted my noob Templar on Cerberus and now I can't recreate him on that server. /facepalm

Looked at other servers but none of them are as well balanced pvp wise as Cerberus.

nataku

If you hover over a toolkit, you can see which quality material you need for it though. But I agree, it should be made clearer, not everyone does notice it the first time.

Right, but with consumable toolkits there are 3 toolkits that use normal quality mats. The toolkits themselves though are different QL (4-6), and just because I have normal quality mats doesn't mean I can make use of the highest QL toolkit that uses normal mats, despite it saying it uses normal quality. That was the entire issues I was having. I had normal quality mats, but it wasn't until I tried the lower to the three "normal mats" toolkit that I was able to make the potion, despite the fact that there would a couple other consumable toolkits that also used normal quality mats.

What determines what QL toolkit I need? Is it just based on my overall faction rank, or my gear?

Three toolkit QL's per type of mat (and one toolkit for pure quality mats) with no indication on which of QL toolkit of the 3 you need to craft the potion you want. They're not expensive or anything, but it's annoying having to waste the money on all 3 QL's to see which one works. Made even more frustrating by my assembly window/inventory bugging out eating a stack of mats I needed.

TheYanger

Right, but with consumable toolkits there are 3 toolkits that use normal quality mats. The toolkits themselves though are different QL (4-6), and just because I have normal quality mats doesn't mean I can make use of the highest QL toolkit that uses normal mats, despite it saying it uses normal quality. That was the entire issues I was having. I had normal quality mats, but it wasn't until I tried the lower to the three "normal mats" toolkit that I was able to make the potion, despite the fact that there would a couple other consumable toolkits that also used normal quality mats.

What determines what QL toolkit I need? Is it just based on my overall faction rank, or my gear?

Three toolkit QL's per type of mat (and one toolkit for pure quality mats) with no indication on which of QL toolkit of the 3 you need to craft the potion you want. They're not expensive or anything, but it's annoying having to waste the money on all 3 QL's to see which one works. Made even more frustrating by my assembly window/inventory bugging out eating a stack of mats I needed.

That's just the toolits bugging out I think, it should work very simply based on what each one says it makes. No more no less.

nataku

That's just the toolits bugging out I think, it should work very simply based on what each one says it makes. No more no less.

I wasn't able to make the potions until I used the QL4 toolkit with normal mats. The assemble button was greyed out with QL5 and QL6 toolkits using the same mats, despite the tooltips saying it should work.

quaere

Fresh install of Windows 7 and still tearing like there's no vsync at all, even with it forced on in the driver options.

Anyone with an AMD card have no screen tearing? Did you have to do anything to get it to work?

TheYanger

I wasn't able to make the potions until I used the QL4 toolkit with normal mats. The assemble button was greyed out with QL5 and QL6 toolkits using the same mats, despite the tooltips saying it should work.

Right, I get that, I'm saying the kits were probably bugged. It's not that the system is complicated, it's really simple, it's that the kits were just broken.

Fresh install of Windows 7 and still tearing like there's no vsync at all, even with it forced on in the driver options.

Anyone with an AMD card have no screen tearing? Did you have to do anything to get it to work?

I swear on my 5770 I've little to no tearing i can remember but maybe I am not as sensitive to it? Have you tried RadeonPro profile?

popokarimu

Neo Member

I've been using D3DOverrider with my 6870 on Windows 7 and I haven't had any screen tearing at all. I haven't tried it without that program though so I don't know if it's preventing the tearing or if I just don't get any.

I've been using D3DOverrider with my 6870 on Windows 7 and I haven't had any screen tearing at all. I haven't tried it without that program though so I don't know if it's preventing the tearing or if I just don't get any.

Yes, try D3DOverrider as well - that's what I'm using as well. Forgot about that.

ExReey

Didn't notice any tearing with my 570GTX, vsync forced in CP (don't know if that matters).

For those losing items when moving them between char en inventory spaces: restarting the game brings them back. If it doesnt work, ask for ingame assistance, they'll check your inventory logs and give them back.

I did the theme park quests last evening: some of the best quests so far!

ExReey

Is the story good for a MMO or good for a game? Is there a good overall story or is it a bunch of mini stories? Basically I'd rather have Longest Journey 3 but I could be convinced to settle for this. I'll do very little group play.

I'm only in the second area of the game (Savage Coast), so i can't comment on the main quest (which is pretty awesome so far). But IMO the best part are the side stories. There are a lots of interesting individuals, with their own personality, backstory and side quests. These all tie in into nice little story lines, which are incredibly fun if you like these kind of things. Like the League of Monster Slayers, an interesting story about some kids who tried to defend the town against monsters. With a suprising ending. Or a story about the history of a theme park on the savage coast, and what and why some freaky stuff happened there (spoilerish:
how does the Templar / Dragon superiors react when you've finished the quest? Is it the same as the Illuminati ending
?). Or who's that guy in the airport and what is he doing there? Also the reaction of your faction superiors on these stories can be pure gold (for Illuminati at least). So far it's not one epic story line like Mass Effect, but all the little stories make the world feel alive and real. WoW and clones are not even in the same league. I love it.

Of course, if you just click through the dialogues and don't read the quest descriptions, you won't appreciate it (this might be a reason why regular MMO veterans (and "professional journalists") often don't like the game as much as others do).

Vlodril

I'm only in the second area of the game (Savage Coast), so i can't comment on the main quest (which is pretty awesome so far). But IMO the best part are the side stories. There are a lots of interesting individuals, with their own personality, backstory and side quests. These all tie in into nice little story lines, which are incredibly fun if you like these kind of things. Like the League of Monster Slayers, an interesting story about some kids who tried to defend the town against monsters. With a suprising ending. Or a story about the history of a theme park on the savage coast, and what and why some freaky stuff happened there (spoilerish:
how does the Templar / Dragon superiors react when you've finished the quest? Is it the same as the Illuminati ending
?). Or who's that guy in the airport and what is he doing there? Also the reaction of your faction superiors on these stories can be pure gold (for Illuminati at least). So far it's not one epic story line like Mass Effect, but all the little stories make the world feel alive and real. WoW and clones are not even in the same league. I love it.

Of course, if you just click through the dialogues and don't read the quest descriptions, you won't appreciate it (this might be a reason why regular MMO veterans (and "professional journalists") often don't like the game as much as others do).

That and the skill system (lack of levels do wonders for not feeling like you are grinding ) is the best things about TSW. I love the attention to detail on the quests. Usually there are mini quests on the way that flesh out main quests (like the guy from the airport or sam krieg(?). Great great stuff).

What i want from this game now is a) a fix to the chat system, although it has gotten better for me and b) rebalancing the mob spawns. I had to stop in blue mountain and go back to savage coast to help my friend to catch up with me because i was getting slaughtered.

Having to fight bosses while random mobs wonder into the fight is a bitch. Also Fuck that lake with the mobs that pull you into them and you cant escape. I had to die 10 times to do a quest and after that i just gave up on blue mountains for now.

derFeef

Yeah Blue Mountain is a test for nerves, they nerfed it with the last patch but it's still not enough. It's not helping me personally since I went for a more broader skill selection than specialize in two trees.

Losing chat functionality is fixed, but the chat tab issue is still there. Basically you need to close and re-open channels like Cabal and Group to make them work.

Madouu

If you need any help with any difficult quests just shoot me a tell, I know some people like soloing but it can be pretty hard if you don't have the right build for every situation. Tanks and healers especially don't have it easy in BM.

I'm trying to do "The Big Terrible Picture" right now and I'm really liking it so far! This is what I love when developers decide to go for quests that involve puzzle solving, there is always room for novelty!

Dits

Guess this is a spoiler but I am on the quest
To Catch a Thief
and haven't been able to beat the
boss
I have noticed now thought that my Clan XP bar wont go up anymore. I have done loads of quests since I noticed as well. Will it all come back or have I lost that XP?

Effect

Think I'm going to leave the Cabal I'm apart of. It's to big at the moment and I think I'll give it a while before I find a smaller guild/cabal to be apart of. At least until people start dropping off after the free month is up. I plan on staying for the time being.

Edit: I see the chat is still screwed up. New tabs don't hold their settings. They even lose them while playing I've noticed. Having them all in the default tab wouldn't be a problem if you could at least change the colors for the channels.

quaere

D3DOverrider worked! Strange that it did when the Catalyst control panel didn't.

Top Bottom