• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

Karak

Story changing month by month which brings with it content changes? :O Reminds me a bunch of Myst Online.

I love the little touches like construction occuring where they plan on putting a new shop and so forth. Its that kind of thing that even most singleplayer games don't have.

Carcetti

Just watched the cinematic for the quest 'Live Free, Die Hard'. Never seen an npc be more happy to give me a mission!
Yippie-kai-yay, motherfucker!

Open your inventory and hit that plus sign to make a new bag. You can then resize that bag how you want (like a hotbar e.g) and lock it, so it stays always on the screen.

I had no idea it worked like that. It would be nice if they included an actual hotbar that you could map shortcuts to though.

o9W27.jpg

http://thesecretworld.com/news/the_secret_world_issue_1_july_2012_unleashed

I love the art for this game. If they ever release an official art book, I would be all over that.

Can you be a fat guy? Also, is this any good for solo play? None of my friends have PCs good enough play anything but WoW at low settings. :(

Finalow

played it for like 3 hours, this games looks great.
I started with swords and I was wondering what skills should I get? I took some basic ones but now I saved 7 AP, is there some good build or something like that.
also the setting is amazing, I stayed in London and NY. the first "zombie city" tho doesn't look that good . D=

panda21

the extra content made me sign up for this... its good so far although i didnt much dig the intro faction stuff, the actual game seems cool.

i kind of want to play as a film noir PI type character but i guess its unpossible due to the modern setting. need some appropriate outfit stuff as well, the starting ones are super limited.

also which country is the dragon lobby? i was really surprised they went with Korean instead of china/japan, i presume the faction lobby is in korea? is all the voice acted dialogue in korean or just the intro?

derFeef

Oh hey there is a digital version of the game manual over at EA!
https://help.ea.com/article/the-secret-world-manual

the extra content made me sign up for this... its good so far although i didnt much dig the intro faction stuff, the actual game seems cool.

i kind of want to play as a film noir PI type character but i guess its unpossible due to the modern setting. need some appropriate outfit stuff as well, the starting ones are super limited.

also which country is the dragon lobby? i was really surprised they went with Korean instead of china/japan, i presume the faction lobby is in korea? is all the voice acted dialogue in korean or just the intro?

It's Seoul, and there is some speak which is only in korean without subtitles, and it's meaningful ;-) But overall it is English.

Madouu

Signal effect quest needs some tweaks in my opinion, solving it is more of a hassle than fun. The three other investigation quests in the scorched desert are nice though, I'm almost done with the zone and I've liked it quite a bit. It is a bit more aoe oriented than the other zones though so you may have to tweak your builds a bit. First time I had to use the gear manager ...

Nassir best npc?

Somnia

Well I finally got back in today and got my voices in cut scenes working, that was stopping me from playing to be honest. Went with blood magic =)

Tallyho

Neo Member
I'm sure glad I gave this game another shot. I tried for about an hour in the open beta and just couldn't continue. After all the recommendations in here I decided to try it out again. The stories are fantastic.

Anyone still want a 24hr trial pass? I'll send it to the first person that asks for it in the thread.

accx

I'm sure glad I gave this game another shot. I tried for about an hour in the open beta and just couldn't continue. After all the recommendations in here I decided to try it out again. The stories are fantastic.

Anyone still want a 24hr trial pass? I'll send it to the first person that asks for it in the thread.

yes please!

I disabled damage numbers like Feef suggested earlier and I also found that if you set the camera in your options to "Never" on the follow setting, movement feels so much better. Combat feels pretty good now. Try it!

Somnia

So i've finally been putting a lot of time into the game now that I got my issues sorted out (though I got dropped from general chat for some reason....). This game is pretty amazing, I hope it doesn't get overlooked it really is doing a lot of great things for MMO's, the atmosphere alone is amazing.

Though I did something I said I wouldn't...I bought an outfit on the store lol.

Vlodril

I disabled damage numbers like Feef suggested earlier and I also found that if you set the camera in your options to "Never" on the follow setting, movement feels so much better. Combat feels pretty good now. Try it!

Both options are greyed out for me. any idea how to fix it?

derFeef

Both options are greyed out for me. any idea how to fix it?

Are you logged in as character? It's not available if you are not logged in or still at the character select screen.

Yeah :D I only wish the target decal option would stick, I need to enable/disable it again if it jumped back to ON. I hate those circles...

Vlodril

Are you logged in as character? It's not available if you are not logged in or still at the character select screen.

Yeah :D I only wish the target decal option would stick, I need to enable/disable it again if it jumped back to ON. I hate those circles...

That works. Thanks

quaere

Is the story good for a MMO or good for a game? Is there a good overall story or is it a bunch of mini stories? Basically I'd rather have Longest Journey 3 but I could be convinced to settle for this. I'll do very little group play.

vaelic

Banned
Is the story good for a MMO or good for a game? Is there a good overall story or is it a bunch of mini stories? Basically I'd rather have Longest Journey 3 but I could be convinced to settle for this. I'll do very little group play.
This game has fantastic writing. No joke

Finalow

buddy code is over. this mmorpg is great, I won't buy it soon but I think I will when I have more time to play it.
I didn't understand tho what's the point of using decks. (and taking those abilities to actually unlock one deck)

derFeef

Sharp writing, great characters, better than some other rpg's for sure. And def. better than any mmo - this is no stretch imho.

The characters feel real, they are aware of their surroundings and the world, which give them huuuge personality. Don't expect this from your character though, your character is not important nor is he or she the superhero of the world, just one bee under many.

GHG

Gold Member
Right, can someone explain the pricing of this game to me?

The way I understand things right now is I firstly have to pay £29.99 on the Origin store and that gets me 1 month of play included, but then I will still need to pay the monthly sub fee (which I think is $14) every month to continue playing??

If so that's extortionate.

I'm really interested in playing this but really can't justify that :/

derFeef

The way I understand things right now is I firstly have to pay £29.99 on the Origin store and that gets me 1 month of play included, but then I will still need to pay the monthly sub fee (which I think is $14) every month to continue playing??

It's an MMO.

It's incredibly well-written, thoughtful and full of amazing references. Clear inspirations and influences can be seen throughout. Has to be the greatest video game homage to the likes of Lovecraft, King, and horror and mystery in general. Thematically it has some similarities to LJ universe but it is more dark and foreboding. Best MMO universe out there,with incredible lore therein. That is its strong selling point honestly. Also Ragnar has been qupted that LJ3 is still a possibility so dont get too distraught over it.

GHG are you new to MMOs and subscription fees for such games? Even with the free month you could get a great deal of experience and time in. At the end of your free time you can choose to pay or not.

People should realize that these monthly fees will justify new content coming in.

Kattbuss

Really liking this game so far. Not sure how I feel about my build though, it feels like AR and Blades doen't go so well together.

Anyway, I still have my buddy key so I thought I'd hook a fellow GAFer up.
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it, first come first served.

EDIT: Buddy key gone

TheYanger

Really liking this game so far. Not sure how I feel about my build though, it feels like AR and Blades doen't go so well together.

Anyway, I still have my buddy key so I thought I'd hook a fellow GAFer up.
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it, first come first served.

I used AR/Blades for the vast majority of the game. I swapped to blades/hammer in the Shadowy Forest and I think it was a bit of a mistake not to do that all along, but I have some AR passives still I think so whatever. The weaken from hammer-> slam with the passive, is RIDICULOUSLY good. Made my soloing vastly easier.

Jubbly

There's more content included for that £29.99 than there is in most other games.

Kattbuss

I used AR/Blades for the vast majority of the game. I swapped to blades/hammer in the Shadowy Forest and I think it was a bit of a mistake not to do that all along, but I have some AR passives still I think so whatever. The weaken from hammer-> slam with the passive, is RIDICULOUSLY good. Made my soloing vastly easier.

Sounds good, maybe I should put some points into that then :)

Top Bottom