• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

derFeef

so it sounds like this game is a buggy mess. perhaps I should wait....

You should obviously wait. There are two (?) famous bugs. One has been fixed yesterday and the other is is "maybe" fixed - it worked for me anyway. If you think these things outweigth your enjoyment of the game then you should not play it. I am really not sure if you are that interested in it ("low player count", "buggy mess", "not much interest here").

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that....

And? It's true. Servers are stable, first update was swift and smooth, everyone seems to enjoy their times. Why not say it out loud? Funcom has gotten shit for their launches and now that they put out a very smooth mmo launch people can't hear it? Come on.

I played this for some hours - its FUN!

All the names I wanted were already taken so I called my guy "Hazelnut" (like Hazel from 30Rock) lol

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg21/scaled.php?tn=0&server=21&filename=h39.png&xsize=640&ysize=640

... I'm on "deamon" if someone wants to know ... btw can you change the dimension?

also I got cought in the raven quest in kings-bla, that one big raven-monster got away and I picked up the feather but then the quest jumped back to tier 2 .........

Nice! I see you have the German client. How are the translations? Is everything voiced and translated in German? I enjoy the english VO but I am just curious of how the German game is.

Man

Kinda off-topic but for those of you in the mood I would recommend reading the freely available H.P Lovecraft work:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

Most of his stories can be consumed in a couple of hours (~50 pages). I have had heaps of enjoyable evenings going through these.
At the Mountains of Madness is probably the #1 classic (though I would say they are a handful of others there I have enjoyed on the same level). There is also Polaris!

derFeef

"The Music of Eric Zann" is my favourite short piece I think, at least it's the first one coming to my mind when I think of his stories.

Man

The Secret World ‏@funcom_tsw
First reviews are in! Hyper Magazine 9/10, PC Powerplay 9/10, VG 5/6 and NowGamer 8.3/10. We're extremely excited about reading these!

derFeef

So, the CEO steps down on launch day, which is weird for sure. But he remains at the company and oversees the Lego MMO and gives strategic input. Ole Schreiner takes over the CEO position, which is awesome becuse he was very supportive and talkative during the beta on the Forums, fun guy! Can only be a good sign.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/secret-world-studio-ceo-steps-down-on-eve-of-games-release-6385362

Holy moly at some kneejerk comments. From "evil EA" to "another fail launch" etc.

The Secret World ‏@funcom_tsw
First reviews are in! Hyper Magazine 9/10, PC Powerplay 9/10, VG 5/6 and NowGamer 8.3/10. We're extremely excited about reading these!

Nice! Really happy for Funcom because they have truely made a unique and fun MMO that (if the world was just) should be a success.

haikira

Didn't want to give a shit. But that was a nice launch trailer.

Curious to see Giantbomb quicklook. Think it's Jeff doing it, so i'll prepare for him being less than enthusiastic about it.

Vlodril

Off to a not so good start. I finished my character enter the name and now i cant click on anything so i cant procceed. I tried in options as well and i can't click anything there either. I guess ill have to re do the whole character creation thing.

taoofjord

Not far in yet but massively disappointed so far (based off all the positive impressions here). The writing is not great, and quite embarrassing at times. Not sure what you guys are praising. Graphics and animation are obviously low budget which would be fine if they didn't try making the game so cinematic with numerous poorly realized cutscenes.

I was hoping for a game world that took itself a little seriously considering it's taking a lot of inspration from Lovecraft but instead you get fashion-crazed teen models with perfect bodies playing The Matrix.

The atmosohere is also ruined by the goofy conversations you overhear as you walk the streets of new york and the distinct lack of sound effects in-game and in the cutscenes.

I chose Illuminati by the way. The first three characters you meet are awful. Perhaps the two other factions have a better first impression. Still looking forward to the investigation missions.

Not far in yet but massively disappointed so far (based off all the positive impressions on here). The writing is not great, and quite embarrassing at times. Not sure what you got are praising. Graphics and animation are obviously low budget which would be fine if they didn't try making the game so cinematic with numerous poorly realized cutscenes.

I was hoping for a game world that took itself a little seriously considering it's taking a lot of inspration from Lovecraft but instead you get fashion-crazed teen models with perfect bodies playing The Matrix.

The atmosohere is also ruined by the goofy conversations you overhear as you walk the streets of new york and the distinct lack of sound effects in-game and in the cutscenes.

I chose Illuminati by the way. The first three characters you meet are awful. Perhaps the two other factions have a better first impression. Still looking forward to the investigation missions.

Shitty writing, perfect bodies and bad cutscenes? Sooo, its a videogame you are saying? Not surprising i guess.

glaurung

I also ran with the Illuminati and the story-based NPCs you have to meet really are horrible. Maybe the doctor stands out a bit, but the others are all ghastly, bad.

The other factions do not fare any better.

In the end it's the player characters graphics style that will kill this game off too soon. They should have given more options to make distinctly different looking toons.

khefka

Neo Member
Why not say it out loud? Funcom has gotten shit for their launches and now that they put out a very smooth mmo launch people can't hear it? Come on.

Nice! I see you have the German client. How are the translations? Is everything voiced and translated in German? I enjoy the english VO but I am just curious of how the German game is.
I like how you call one guy out for being skeptical of issues with the game and then quoting a reply with a user reporting a bug while completely ignoring it.

So, the CEO steps down on launch day, which is weird for sure... Can only be a good sign.
I just noticed you are the OP of this thread which amuses me greatly. I would consider myself a fanboy of certain developers, but you have taken this to a new level. :D

derFeef

I just noticed you are the OP of this thread which amuses me greatly. I would consider myself a fanboy of certain developers, but you have taken this to a new level. :D

Way to twist the second quote, nice.
And yeah, I am the most enthusiastic poster when it comes to this game for sure. If people or the mods have a problem with it they should tell me, please.

tomedo

Not far in yet but massively disappointed so far (based off all the positive impressions on here). The writing is not great, and quite embarrassing at times. Not sure what you got are praising. Graphics and animation are obviously low budget which would be fine if they didn't try making the game so cinematic with numerous poorly realized cutscenes..

Try to get to the first proper zone Kingsmouth before judging the whole game (my impression about the game went from ok to really good once I got there, playing Illuminati also). I somewhat agree with your comments about character models looking like something out of the teen Matrix but at least the environments can't be considered "low budget".

Vlodril

Ok restarting fixed the no clicking problem and i remade the character. I thought the beginning is pretty good. Great atmosphere and the missions after you meet the professor is great.

Now i read its a good idea to get two weapons. Is it possible to have 2 weapons and magic or 1 weapon and magic?

khefka

Neo Member
Way to twist the second quote, nice.
And yeah, I am the most enthusiastic poster when it comes to this game for sure. If people or the mods have a problem with it they should tell me, please.
I'm just having a laugh. Truly I like Funcom, and am interested in the game. I had a lot of fun the first few months in Age of Conan, unfortunately no good end game content/pvp areas/unbalanced classes kind of ruined it for me. I would like to try this game but I think due to past experience I'll wait and see how things pan out.

Ebris

You can have two of any combination - 2 weapons, 1 magic 1 weapon, or 2 magic (counting ranged and melee as weapons). I chose chaos magic/blood magic for thematic reasons and I don't know of any synergy beyond the Neoshaman deck, but I'm having a blast with it so far. My only disappointment is the character creator, but they're addressing that almost in full by August, so I can definitely hold out having this face/skin for now (face is great, but the skin makes my character look like a Native American when he's Caucasian lol).

TheYanger

Not far in yet but massively disappointed so far (based off all the positive impressions on here). The writing is not great, and quite embarrassing at times. Not sure what you got are praising. Graphics and animation are obviously low budget which would be fine if they didn't try making the game so cinematic with numerous poorly realized cutscenes.

You've literally played like 10 minutes, you're not even in the first quest zone. Just saying. Also, if you really don't like the tone of the illuminati NPCs, play another faction. It doesn't change from what I've seen (I love it, they're very modern/internet culture (there are many meme references from illuminati superiors) with a big emphasis on fast results. Just the base itself should give you a good idea, I crack up listening to The Eye's loudspeaker announcements in the labyrinth. The other factions are not quite like that.

Either way, nothing you see or hear in New York is going to permeate the areas that are actually under attack by things that go bump in the night, which is what you seem to take issue with.

ekim

How is the world designed? Like in any other MMORPG?
(Pseudo-Open-World packed with Mobs)

€dit: Is there any player-housing?

glaurung

How is the world designed? Like in any other MMORPG?
(Pseudo-Open-World packed with Mobs)

€dit: Is there any player-housing?
The world is designed as a series of seamless mob-infested areas and hub worlds. In the hub worlds you do not get attacked as far as I know.

The levels themselves are relatively huge. The mobs in certain areas are stronger than in others, but the lines are not very clear-cut.

There is no player housing.

fauxtrot

Banned
For the first time in Funcom's history, I am having a blast with one of their games. I've played about a dozen MMORPGs in the last ~12 years and, to me, this is shaping up to be the best since EVE Online. I just hope enough people give it a shot so it'll be supported for the next 5 or so years. Were you guys really expecting Oscar worthy performances and a UE4 level of graphical fidelity from a mid-tier MMORPG developer?.

glaurung

For the first time in Funcom's history, I am having a blast with one of their games. I've played about a dozen MMORPGs in the last ~12 years and, to me, this is shaping up to be the best since EVE Online. I just hope enough people give it a shot so it'll be supported for the next 5 or so years. Were you guys really expecting Oscar worthy performances and a UE4 level of graphical fidelity from a mid-tier MMORPG developer?.
I expected better than what they delivered. No, wait, actually I expected the experience to be more level.

Take Kingsmouth for example. The forests look beautiful. The town itself looks ugly. The harbor looks very pretty, the air field looks awful. The junk yard looks interesting, but the cemetery areas look boring.

If they would have a more consistent line of quality, I'd be all over it.

ekim

The world is designed as a series of seamless mob-infested areas and hub worlds. In the hub worlds you do not get attacked as far as I know.

The levels themselves are relatively huge. The mobs in certain areas are stronger than in others, but the lines are not very clear-cut.

There is no player housing.

Makes me sad :(

Each faction has its own feel to it, so if you aren't gelling with Illuminati, then try another one. The first mission is the same for all factions though (the subway flashback mission). As others have said, get to Kingsmouth.

And honestly, the writing is usually at Eternal Darkness level, which by video game standards is still really good.

I expected better than what they delivered. No, wait, actually I expected the experience to be more level.

Take Kingsmouth for example. The forests look beautiful. The town itself looks ugly. The harbor looks very pretty, the air field looks awful. The junk yard looks interesting, but the cemetery areas look boring.

The town ugly? Ok. In my opinion they nailed the atmosphere in Kingsmouth.

kairotic

Neo Member

I've never seen more fine detail in an MMO before. This includes all areas of Kingsmouth.

Harbor pretty? It's 100 naked zombies standing motionless in shallow water. If this is "pretty", and the town is "ugly", you have a very distorted view IMO.

owlbeak

Any reviews posted up? I think I'm going to be buying this today, I just want to see what the general review consensus is.

Edit: Does the boxed copy come with anything useful or just the disc(s)?

glaurung

People should read what I wrote.

I said the graphics quality is uneven, not that it is ugly. Sure, the drow standing in the water or lumbering around the nearby streets look bad. But the pier is properly pretty and so is the deserted ship anchored nearby.

And then you turn around and look at the town itself: it looks almost like built out of Monopoly pieces. The mining museum was awesome though.

ExReey

I can't understand why ppl are bitching about the gfx. It's not The Witcher 2, but it's still outstanding, especially for an MMO. I'd take this anytime over Tera's acres of green meadow.

The combat does feel a little awkward first, but it grows on you and now with more skills, it's getting pretty interesting and challenging.

Man

The parts mentioning TSW:

"NVIDIA TXAA is new film-style anti-aliasing technique designed specifically to reduce temporal aliasing (crawling and flickering in motion) through a combination of hardware AA, custom CG film style AA resolve, and a temporal filter.
The Secret World is the first game to support TXAA (support will be enabled in an upcoming patch).."

"Adds or updates the following SLI profiles:
The Secret World - added"

I'm tempted....

Is there any oldschool player from Asheron's Call? Could you compare the skill systems to it? IE: the more I use a certain kind of weapon, the better I get it with it.

owlbeak

Just bought this. Only my second MMO of recent years (first was SWTOR....yikes). What server/dimension does GAF mostly play on? I'll probably be going Templar.

Hope this download speeds up though. 14gb file @ 500kb/s is going to take all day. :(

TheYanger

I'm tempted....

Is there any oldschool player from Asheron's Call? Could you compare the skill systems to it? IE: the more I use a certain kind of weapon, the better I get it with it.

Not like that. You choose what weapons to improve and in what ways, by spending your AP (which are basically your form of experience). For example, I'm using swords right now, I've been levelling my swords, but I could just as easily use my swords and level my Chaos Magic instead and not level swords at all. Obviously, it's to your benefit to level what you use, but once you're farther in you can spend points on other things to get them up to snuff. Eventually you can max everything.

There are two kinds of points, AP and SP, you get AP at 3x the rate of SP. AP is spent on actual abilities, this is what you 'build' your character with, and getting more abilities increases your breadth of options at any given time, but doesn't actively make you more powerful, per se. Instead it makes you more powerful by letting you choose builds that synergize more and mroe with themselves.

SP on the other hand is more of a traditional power gain, these are slower to gain and represent static bonuses to your character and determine what quality of equipment you can use. Since SP are always on, and your gear is basically ALL of your stats, this is what truly gives you your power level within the game.

Karak

So friggen great. The community has been insanely awesome, grouping has been a blast. The world is fucking incredibly depressing, and awesome all in the same breath. Some truly good moments that have reminded me of Alan Wake, the Thing, the Fog, and various other amazing horror movies and books. I was truly expecting to see Pennywise in the amusement park:)
Also so many skills and abilities to decide how to use and truly make someone you like versus just a class.

I still can't get over the amazing voice acting. The dude from the Frighteners nails it in the Academy. "No handshakes" hahahahaha. I love that weirdo.

Most fun I have had in an MMO ever. I enjoyed Star Wars Old Republic but this just nails everything that matters. Story content better than many single players games is just not what I expected.

derFeef

So I am going Shotty/Chaos so far (maxed out both inner rings, the Jackets are neat ;). I am a AoE-dmg machine so far. I am saving that build and making me a single-target dmg dealer. The bad thing is this does not run so well in harmony and a hammer would be better for that together with the Shotgun.

edit: wow...

7489459004_f53bd9dc97_c.jpg

DASRZ.png

edit2:
oh, I did not know New York is reacreated pretty good there.
Comparison RL and game.
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=37096&page=7#postmenu_909060

So friggen great. The community has been insanely awesome, grouping has been a blast. The world is fucking incredibly depressing, and awesome all in the same breath. Some truly good moments that have reminded me of Alan Wake, the Thing, the Fog, and various other amazing horror movies and books. I was truly expecting to see Pennywise in the amusement park:)
Also so many skills and abilities to decide how to use and truly make someone you like versus just a class.

I still can't get over the amazing voice acting. The dude from the Frighteners nails it in the Academy. "No handshakes" hahahahaha. I love that weirdo.

Most fun I have had in an MMO ever. I enjoyed Star Wars Old Republic but this just nails everything that matters. Story content better than many single players games is just not what I expected.

Well put. That's what I love the most about this game - the story/lore/universe is so fucking cool and unique. So fresh compared to other things like STWOR or WoW. If you like Lovecraft and weird fiction, as well as other subjects this touches you will adore the game and look past some of its faults. It no doubt has some, but the investigation missions especially don't treat you like a child.

Hey Feef, or anyone, I'm looking for a QL2-3 shotgun - I've yet to get a drop for one and it's my main weapon. Have anything?

TimeKillr

Well put. That's what I love the most about this game - the story/lore/universe is so fucking cool and unique. So fresh compared to other things like STWOR or WoW. If you like Lovecraft and weird fiction, as well as other subjects this touches you will adore the game and look past some of its faults. It no doubt has some, but the investigation missions especially don't treat you like a child.

Hey Feef, or anyone, I'm looking for a QL2-3 shotgun - I've yet to get a drop for one and it's my main weapon. Have anything?

The trick to getting QL3 at least for your weapon is to do quests in Kingsmouth - at 40 tokens you can buy a QL3 weapon from the Council of Venice vendors, which is quite nice.

kurahador

Anyone can explain to me how the weapon assembling works?
I got plenty of metals, but can't seem to assemble them into anything good.

Top Bottom