• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

Karak

Anyone can explain to me how the weapon assembling works?
I got plenty of metals, but can't seem to assemble them into anything good.

No one can explain it better than the actual funcom community in their thread. Go there. Threads dedicated to questions and answers in easily digestible form with pics.

Karak

Well put. That's what I love the most about this game - the story/lore/universe is so fucking cool and unique. So fresh compared to other things like STWOR or WoW. If you like Lovecraft and weird fiction, as well as other subjects this touches you will adore the game and look past some of its faults. It no doubt has some, but the investigation missions especially don't treat you like a child.

Hey Feef, or anyone, I'm looking for a QL2-3 shotgun - I've yet to get a drop for one and it's my main weapon. Have anything?

Ya. I admit I don't have experience with this companies MMO's or many besides starwars and WoW. But this has gone far smoother than both those big named games. FAR smoother.

Also I am not sure how the guys packed that much density into each area without it feeling cramped. Its an amazing amount of content, hidden and in your face, to be in a single zone(Kingsmouth).

THE ONLY thing I would have liked would have been a bit more fear in the NPC's. Or say an NPC running past you that you can get a quest from if you save her/him. Little touches.

derFeef

Anyone can explain to me how the weapon assembling works?
I got plenty of metals, but can't seem to assemble them into anything good.

You need to refine metal to be able to use the higher QL weapon kits. Stacks of 5 make 1 of the next level of metal (just put all of your metal in the craft window and refine it, and then again if you want, etc.)

Basically you want the metal QL match the Weapon Toolkit QL. Then you can add Glyphs to your weapon to add stats like Crit chance etc. Madame Roget has a Glyph tutorial in her room.

Check this thread out, it's pretty helpful (actually, will add to OP ;)
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=34237

I was completely uninterested in this after playing beta, now after waking up today I find myself pouring through information about the game and realizing I want to try it again. Really kicking myself for not playing more when I had unlimited beta access. With GW2 still 2 months away I need something to pass my time, now I just need to decide if I want to drop the money on this.

I know this may be hard to answer, but did they fine tune combat at all since the closed betas? The combat was my biggest gripe with the game during its closed beta, but I read a few people say it was a lot better towards the last open beta weekend.

Secondly hows the grouping? My time in beta felt like I was playing a single player game, not so much that there weren't people around me, but that I never felt like I needed any of those people for anything. Are there things that will make me want to group with other players?

fauxtrot

Banned
Just bought this. Only my second MMO of recent years (first was SWTOR....yikes). What server/dimension does GAF mostly play on? I'll probably be going Templar.

Hope this download speeds up though. 14gb file @ 500kb/s is going to take all day. :(

I'm playing Templar on the RP server (which starts with an "A", I think) if you'd like to join. Also, there's a "GAF Spreadsheet for characters" that may help you find where others are playing.

I was completely uninterested in this after playing beta, now after waking up today I find myself pouring through information about the game and realizing I want to try it again. Really kicking myself for not playing more when I had unlimited beta access. With GW2 still 2 months away I need something to pass my time, now I just need to decide if I want to drop the money on this.

I know this may be hard to answer, but did they fine tune combat at all since the closed betas? The combat was my biggest gripe with the game during its closed beta, but I read a few people say it was a lot better towards the last open beta weekend.

Secondly hows the grouping? My time in beta felt like I was playing a single player game, not so much that there weren't people around me, but that I never felt like I needed any of those people for anything. Are there things that will make me want to group with other players?

Combat is MUCH better than the early beta. Animations are now pretty fluid, and the weapon types all feel a little different than each other (guns have recoil, swords feel fast, hammers feel heavy). It's still not AoC-level combat (what ever will be?), but the game never intended to have that since its focus is more on atmosphere, story, questing etc...

As far as group stuff is concerned... well... dungeons!

Funcom is about the best there is at creating incredibly fun and challenging dungeons (though many people out there would rather their free loot...ugh), so make some friends and start figuring the fights out. Even some of the solo bosses have some pretty interesting mechanics in this game (especially the one in the amusement park).

All in all, the game is incredible at this point, though some quests are bugged. For a launch, and especially a FUNCOM launch, this is as good as it gets. Dive in, make friends, and have some fun. Just make sure to put in a little effort, as the game gets better and better the deeper you go. You will think that 7 active and and 7 passive abilities seems dumbed down, but you will be wrong. The skill tree is incredibly deep and a ton of fun to dig into.

If anyone decides to play and wants a buddy just send a tell to "Tankgeezus."

owlbeak

1gb left to download. Can't wait!

Is there any stat differences between factions, or is it more of a story related difference?

1gb left to download. Can't wait!

Is there any stat differences between factions, or is it more of a story related difference?

Mainly story, though factions have some specific skills I believe...

I love all of the character redesigns for the retail version - in the beta some of the characters just did not work as well.

Combat is MUCH better than the early beta. Animations are now pretty fluid, and the weapon types all feel a little different than each other (guns have recoil, swords feel fast, hammers feel heavy). It's still not AoC-level combat (what ever will be?), but the game never intended to have that since its focus is more on atmosphere, story, questing etc...

These were two of my biggest gripes in the first beta so it's good to see that Funcom made some improvements in these areas. Some people are still saying the combat is boring, so I'm not sure I'm convinced. I also had a few instability and server related issues during the beta and really disliked the ugly Playstation Home avatars and shops.

I loved the concept and the atmosphere, environments, story, and music were all really good. I will try and give this another shot later on down the road. I look forward to reading more impressions and reviews now that the final version has been released.

These were two of my biggest gripes in the first beta so it's good to see that Funcom made some improvements in these areas. Some people are still saying the combat is boring, so I'm not sure I'm convinced. I also had a few instability and server related issues during the beta and really disliked the ugly Playstation Home avatars and shops.

I loved the concept and the atmosphere, environments, story, and music were really good. I will probably give this another shot later on down the road when I have more time and there is a free trial not requiring a purchase or a deep discounted sale. I look forward to reading more impressions and reviews now that the final version has been released.

The combat isn't boring, but it certainly isn't revolutionary. I think it does the job well enough when supported by such amazing lore, missions, environments, and skill system.

vaelic

Banned
so I went and bought this, playing on the RP server as Illuminati. My biggest question is, what is the point/story to this game? It all seems so very vague at the beginning. I am hoping you get a better understanding sooner rather then later

derFeef

I think they are playing Star Craft ;) (and no one play age of conan...)

4KIdc.jpg

Man

Kotaku post their log one:

http://kotaku.com/5923207/the-secre...m_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

At one point, we were comparing notes on what each of us had done during our solo time. "I went and talked with the fortune-teller," I said. "I didn't feel like taking her quests yet, but I really liked her so I went through all her conversations."

"When's the last time you liked an NPC in an MMO enough just to stand around talking with them?" he asked me.

In an MMO? I realized the implications: never. Madame Rôget was a first. I didn't want quests or items or rewards from her. I just wanted to chat. That's happened plenty to me in single-player RPGs (*coughGarruscough*) but never, that I could think of, in an MMO.

owlbeak

Man, this game is really good. I've been playing for 6 hours. Can't put it down!

Added my character to the spreadsheet. If any Illuminati are on Arcadia, look me up.

Man

Anyone else really enjoyed the siren song moment ? Just mesmerizing.

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/manperson/picture001.png
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/manperson/picture003.png
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/manperson/picture006.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV2mT-rnW4A&feature=my_favorites&list=FL2WnikWeO4FoZ6ne3zI8kOg

I'm playing this game on the lowest settings btw on a laptop (when I think about it I should probably switch down to DX9 from 11). I'm not directly posting the photos in case of spoilers. Early in the game.

much of a difference between dx11 and dx9? wondering if performance hit of DX11 is worth it...

I haven't played in DX9 but I took this picture earlier:
You can see the tesselation in the ground, and I'm sure the lighting is more advanced as well (godrays?).

It's a good looking game maxed out but I hope they drop the TXAA patch soon because FXAA doesn't quite cut it as you can see (blades of grass, tree branches, etc.).

Effect

much of a difference between dx11 and dx9? wondering if performance hit of DX11 is worth it...

I haven't noticed that big of a difference between DX9 and DX11 with settings on high. Maybe the water looks worse on 9 but not really sure. My FPS is higher with 9 instead of 11. It can drop into the 20s with 11 at times depending on what is happening and where I am but it's not consistent. Sometimes it's fine with others around and action is taking place but other times those actions can cause it to go up and down. However this has gotten worse since it went live for everyone. So it could be a population issue. Should play it with it.

PvP is a zerg fest. At least on the persistent pvp zone. Haven' tried the other two yet so maybe those might be more fun but will focus more on the story. Just need to find out where I can get weapon tool kits to craft weapons. Don't seem them on vendors.

kurahador

I keep having "running out of memory" error every time after 4-5 hours of play.

Is this because i'm using 32-bit Win7? Or 4GB of ram is not enough?

Isomac

I would just buy the game directly from Funcom instead of those shady cdkey sites...

I added my character to spreadsheet. I am still at kingsmouth.. taking my time to enjoy lore :p

Dits

Added my char to the spreadsheet :) Would be cool to form a Cabal on Cerberus if anyone is there as well.

Just respecd to Pistol/Fists. Much better than I had before, close up DOT's and Root then jump away for pistol ranged damage :) Fist skills have lots of self heals as well. Seems like a good solo build

tomedo

Did the first 5-man instance (Polaris) yesterday. Nothing too amazing but nice environments and not many trash mobs at all. Last boss was a nice difficulty spike. We wiped 4 times but nobody quit and we managed to down it on fifth try. Just another example how community seems more mature than in your average mmo. I've now spent around 20 hours in the first hub world + Kingsmouth. There's an amazing amount of content in Kingsmouth if you do everything. Of course some of the time was spent on learning the mechanics and I have done some quests twice to get some skill points but still. Good job Funcom.

TheYanger

I'd love to run some dungeons with gaffers sometime if people'd be up for it, I'm on a lot, on the spreadsheet in the OP, and haven't done any so far :( I'm too lazy to lfg forever. I'd happily do even polaris at this point.

inm8num2

I really hope this game does well. Reviews sound like it dares to be something different, and that's something the gaming community needs.

Dits

I really hope this game does well. Reviews sound like it dares to be something different, and that's something the gaming community needs.

Same, so many other games like SWTOR, WAR, Rift etc all have tried to out do WoW always emulating and iterating on existing ideas. This games dares to be different and as you say it is what people are crying out for right now.

Think I am at risk of turning into a White Knight for this game!

ekim

Bought it online, Downloading right now.

Any estimate on how the game will run on my laptop?
Core i5 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
8GB Ram
nVidia GT540M 1GB

Madouu

I think this game appeals to Junior members.

My system is close to yours Ekim and its pretty much stable at 30 fps+ with 1600*900 medium settings. I do get some fps drops when approaching a crowded area though and alt tabbing is a pain in the ass but I think you should be okay with your 8GB of ram (I only got 4GB). Game is pretty memory hungry.

Dits

The Dreamworld Engine has always been a pig, still chugs in places on AoC. There a re quite a few tools made by users for AoC to speed things up so hopefully they can be adapted for this

Man

Bought it online, Downloading right now.

Any estimate on how the game will run on my laptop?
Core i5 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
8GB Ram
nVidia GT540M 1GB
My laptop specs are practically equal:

Core i5 @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs)
8GB Ram
nVidia GT520M 1GB

It runs ok (~25-30fps) on DX11 Medium settings with Highest texture quality @ 1280 x 720 resolution.
However: My laptop overheats with the lid closed (external monitor).
I have now turned it to Low settings with open lid (though will try Medium settings again in the next play session).

ekim

Good! :) Looking forward to play after work.

If the download will finish until then. :-/
(~0.9 MB/s from possible 7MB/s)

MedIC86

im really on the fence about this game. I really like the lovecraftian influences but i got burned so much over the last years by buying mmo's early...

Top Bottom