• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sly Collection |OT| Fly Cooper: Band of Deeds

conman

Hobbun said:
So I'm not sure the problem people are having in the thread, then if you can choose between normal and inverted? They want inverted for one and not the other? I would figure it would be easier to have normal for both.
I know this is splitting hairs, but there's no standard for what to call "normal" when it comes to the X axis. Some games call moving the stick right while the camera moves right (and looks left) "normal." Others call moving the stick right while the camera moves left (and looks right) "normal."

But if you can at least switch all to inverted or all to normal, I think I'll be okay (since I don't think you need the y-axis camera movement much).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
conman said:
But if you can at least switch all to inverted or all to normal, I think I'll be okay (since I don't think you need the y-axis camera movement much).

I can confirm you're able to do this... I played around with it for a bit. At least in Sly 1... you can choose normal or inverted, and have different setting for various actions (camera, binoculars, flying, turrets).

Loving playing through these again. Master thief runs are as brutal as I remember, but the game is prettier than I remember.

TripOpt55

I was all full of myself. I was like, "I beat these master thief sprints before, they'll be a piece of cake this time." Nope, they're pretty tough. Awesome though. Game looks great too.

Evolved1

I'm remembering that you have to unlock the cooper families' abilities to get the top times. Like the roll ability is slightly faster than running... helps a lot of the first one... mostly on flat ground/downhill.

I just can't believe the enjoyment I'm getting form these right now... this was exactly what I needed to play, because everything else in my backlog is too heavy or "samey". Sly is a great lighthearted departure with some real challenge if you want it.

Loving it.

I've been playing through Sly 1, and I'm having a blast. I didn't want to stop playing, but I decided I needed to stop for the day. Man, I'm so glad I got the Collection. It looks awesome, and the fact that I'm enjoying it is a plus too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
One down, two to go.

So I beat Sly 1, I didn't think I'd blow through it this fast. So good. The platforming is so tight and Sanzaru Games did an awesome job with the port, it looks and runs great. My only complaints are the unskippable cutscenes (with annoying voice actors) and the frustrating side missions and trial-and-error parts like certain boss fights. The final boss was a pain since you have to replay it from the very start if you make even one mistake, but it was satisfying to beat those parts. I'll revisit for the Master Thief Runs but I'm on to Sly 2 for now.

In other news, in nearly two years of PS3 ownership, I finally earned my first Platinum trophy. This was probably the easiest one ever, but fuck it, I got one!

O30Cx.png

hell yeah

TripOpt55

I'm kind of dissappointed you don't need to do the Master Thief Sprints to get the Platinum. Would have made the Platinum more challenging. I think they are necessary for the third's platinum though right?

nofi

Just got the UK version of this yesterday. It's really, really good - a brilliant port.

Can't wait to get my teeth into it properly, the originals kinda passed me by a bit...

Suzzopher

nofi said:
Just got the UK version of this yesterday. It's really, really good - a brilliant port.

Can't wait to get my teeth into it properly, the originals kinda passed me by a bit...

Do you know the release date yet? Or an embargo date that may point to the release date?

Need to know if I should import now, but I may not if the wait is only a few weeks.

nofi

Suzzopher said:
Do you know the release date yet? Or an embargo date that may point to the release date?

Need to know if I should import now, but I may not if the wait is only a few weeks.

There's no embargo on the disk I got, as far as I could see. I think it's out at the beginning of December. 3rd?

mummite

To get platinum on sly 3 I can confirm yes. . . . you have to do all the master thief challenges. It ties into the 100% complete trophy. The trophies get progressively harder for each game :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nicer, for sure, but still just a so-so box art.

Anyone try the Move minigames yet? I just got my controller today so I'll probably give em a shot tonight.

Bebpo

Banned
I just got it and started playing Sly 1 and wow, the graphic upgrade is really really nice. GoW collection was neat and all but I felt like the original GoW games had pretty clean IQ already in the first place and so the upgrade wasn't huge besides the locked framerate. Especially if you're playing it on a CRT set.

But the cell-shaded visuals in Sly pop out and look so nice with proper IQ here. Everything looks nice and modern. Only complaints are there's no overscan options and it kind of overscans on my set, the text is all big and 480p and Bentley won't shut up. For $30-40 for 3 classic PS2 titles looking this nice it seems like a steal and really makes me want more HD upgrades with the visual fidelity (IQ & 60fps) of GoW collection and this. Ico/SoTC should be incredible.

got my copy, started the first game, & i'm wondering what in the hell it was (other than the fact that the humor isn't quite up to that of the ratchet & clank series) that kept me away from these games originally... but, hey, all's well that ends well :) ...

JohngPR

Got the game fairly late for UPS (about 6:40 PM) and only got to play 2-3 levels before I had to turn it off. Man this game brings back memories. Really enjoying it so far. You can change the camera controls so Right = Right and Left = Left, so crisis averted. :D That always did bother me about the original version of the game so I"m glad that they added the feature to change it. Let's hope they do the same if/when they come out with Jak & Daxter collection.

The game looks great in HD. It runs at 60 FPS and I haven't encountered a hint of slowdown. I know I can play this game on my backwards compatible PS3, but I much prefer to play it in HD with trophies. :)

Bought the collection on a whim. Gotta love relatives for giving people random money! :lol

Something kiddish and charmy should hopefully calm my nerves and gives me some inner peace. I cannot wait to play Sly Cooper's 1, 2, and 3 all over again! It has been too long!

Evolved1

People apparently don't like Bently... but he cracks me up. :lol

Anyway, close to halfway done with Sly 1... but I've been ignoring most of the thief sprints for now. Mini-games you have to play to get keys can be a real pain in the butt. Who in the world ever aims with the left stick!? It's so weird they designed the game like that.

But at least the camera isn't forced to be inverted.

Evolved1

Anyway, close to halfway done with Sly 1... but I've been ignoring most of the thief sprints for now. Mini-games you have to play to get keys can be a real pain in the butt. Who in the world ever aims with the left stick!? It's so weird they designed the game like that.

But at least the camera isn't forced to be inverted.

revolverjgw said:
Same. And it's far and away my absolute favorite platformer universe/world, I just fucking love the whole concept.

I've always rated Sony's big three: Sly >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ratchet >>>> Jak

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
recklessmind said:

It's his goddamned constant, unskippable interruptions that drive me crazy.

I enter a new area, see a ladder. I think hey, I should climb that ladder then in comes Bentley with a 2 minute speech saying HEY SLY I THINK IF YOU WALK UP TO THAT DEVICE AND HIT THE CIRCLE BUTTON, YOU CAN CLIMB IT

No shit you stupid turtle, I'm familiar with ladders, I figured that out before you even interrupted me with your bullshit

sweet game, though

Evolved1

Snuggler said:
It's his goddamned constant, unskippable interruptions that drive me crazy.

I enter a new area, see a ladder. I think hey, I should climb that ladder then in comes Bentley with a 2 minute speech saying HEY SLY I THINK IF YOU WALK UP TO THAT DEVICE AND HIT THE CIRCLE BUTTON, YOU CAN CLIMB IT

No shit you stupid turtle, I'm familiar with ladders, I figured that out before you even interrupted me with your bullshit

sweet game, though

That was Sly's line in the first level! Cracked me up. :lol

Game isn't quite as funny as Ratchet, but it has its moments... and all the characters are fun.

I agree that the unskippable cutscenes are lame.

I forgot how good these games were. So glad I picked this up. It's like a Saturday Morning Cartoon, which is kind of awesome and what originally first attracted me to the series. I just love the little intros: Sly Cooper in THE TIDE OF TERROR.

:lol So awesome.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I tried to try the Move mini games but it wouldn't recognize my controller. It's working now for Tumble and it worked for Sports Champion but its like jammed in the controller when I try Sly and I can't even do the mini games. The reticule just shows in the corner and spazes out when I move it. I dunno if my set up is shitty or if the Move support is bad. Dammit. :(

iammeiam

Snuggler said:
I tried to try the Move mini games but it wouldn't recognize my controller. It's working now for Tumble and it worked for Sports Champion but its like jammed in the controller when I try Sly and I can't even do the mini games. The reticule just shows in the corner and spazes out when I move it. I dunno if my set up is shitty or if the Move support is bad. Dammit. :(

I read a review somewhere (Amazon?) that complained about having to actually turn off their Dualshock to get the minigames to control properly with the Move controller. So try that?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
iammeiam said:
I read a review somewhere (Amazon?) that complained about having to actually turn off their Dualshock to get the minigames to control properly with the Move controller. So try that?

will do

just got Move today but it worked fine in Tumble or whatever it's called but it's inverted and way fucked in Sly, maybe it's my set up but I couldn't even select a mode with the MOve

shit, dude, you were totally right! It went from unplayable to easy select once I shut off the DS3 after starting up the minigame section, good to know my controller and eye aren't messed up

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
repost, but appropriate here:

Sly Cooper Move

one game has you controlling a little helicopter and moving it through rings/avoiding mines to get points, kinda like stage 2 of Sly 1 final boss

another, called "treasure snagging" has you aiming at falling treasures and hitting X and "pulling them in" to win. You have one minute, you can also shoot them down but I think that just prevents them from -minus points when they pass through

next one has you tapping the T button and shooting at a moving cursor, nothing special

basically, the Move games suck but the actual games are awesome so if you're not a major dickhead or a total twat go ahead and buy the collection and enjoy great games. It's nice that they acknowledge the Move but it's not a Move game, by any means. The support is trivial at best.

there is one game I haven't unlocked (sly 2), but I'm sure it sucks as well, I've even started the Sly 2 game but the Move game still is locked

VegaShinra

I'll Platinum Sly 1 one tomorrow it looks like. Really easy Platinum to get but man the game is so good. I remember it being good but it's really good this time around to me. Visuals are awesome and it looks so clean.

Something about playing these games again on the PS3 in HD just gives new life to them and makes them super addictive. :D Awesome. Just awesome.

wouwie

I'm really tempted to buy this. Never played the games before but i love platform games. Also, from the little footage i've seen, the game still looks great. It certainly has a striking and charming visual appeal that seems to have aged well. And it's from Sucker Punch who did the awesome inFamous game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
wouwie said:
I'm really tempted to buy this. Never played the games before but i love platform games. Also, from the little footage i've seen, the game still looks great. It certainly has a striking and charming visual appeal that seems to have aged well. And it's from Sucker Punch who did the awesome inFamous game.

so why not buy it? just step it up and play these awesome games yo

BeeDog

I'm leaning on buying both the GoW Collection and this from some UK store when I find them for a good price. My question is; are there any regional differences between the UK editions and the mainland EU/Sweden version (like MAG or ModNation Racers)?

Zertez

I picked this up earlier from Best Buy, but it took some work. They had no copies on display, so I figured they were sold out. When I asked an employee, he had no idea what I was talking about. He saw 9 copies listed in the system, but no one bothered to put it out. He found the copies in a box buried near the trash. He told me, if I did not ask for it, they would have thrown all of them away :lol

wouwie

Snuggler said:
so why not buy it? just step it up and play these awesome games yo

I'm in euro land so the game is not out yet overhere.

As a rough estimate, in hours, how long does it take to finish each game?

Evolved1

wouwie said:
I'm in euro land so the game is not out yet overhere.

As a rough estimate, in hours, how long does it take to finish each game?

Sly 1 can be really short if you ignore thief sprints. Sly 2 & 3 are designed differently --more open world-- so they're longer. Though I can't remember how much longer.

I'd say all three combined are probably longer than what's considered "acceptable" for a $60 game these days. And they're really fun... so there's that.

edit: I realize I didn't give you a time estimate... but I'm not done with Sly 1 yet and the other two I'm going by memory. I'm like 45% done with Sly 1 and I'd say I've been playing 3 - 5 hours (unlocking all the safes along the way).

Sly 1 is about 6-7 hours long if you're just playing to finish it, but the master thief stuff will take much longer.

Sly 2 I dunno as I only played through 2 areas before getting bored on PS2, and Sly 3 I've never played. Is Sly 2 worth another chance? It just seemed so.....blah when I tried to play it a few years ago. I'm on the fence about this collection. I've already played through Sly 1 twice, so I'd be getting it to play 2 and 3.....but what a waste of money if I get 2 areas in again and shut it off........does it get more interesting, or is the whole game kinda flat?

Top Bottom