• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sly Collection |OT| Fly Cooper: Band of Deeds

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
God, I had dreamed of playing Sly 1 without the occasional crippling slowdown and res drops and it's even better than I could have imagined.

Next: Skygunner HD.

DJ_Lae

Def Jukie said:
Just finished Sly 1 and got my platinum trophy. I'm doing the master thief sprints right now and unless I am missing something, they removed the commentary tracks from this version. I finished two levels in the first world and cannot figure out how to trigger the commentary. There are no prompts on the screen for it and nothing I am doing is starting the track. Anyone know about this? I'm assuming they removed them which is a bummer.

God damn it, I was wondering the same thing.

I loved those commentaries and never got them all in the PS2 version. Guess I'll have to dig it out again.

TripOpt55

I just platinumed Sly 1. It's definitely the easiest platinum I've gotten. I wish they would have done some trophies for the sprints. It would have made it a bit more challenging. Even if they didn't require them all if they thought that was too hard. Maybe 1 or 2 per chapter or something. Oh well no big deal. Overall, I still really like the game (I had played it on PS2). The minigames are pretty forgettable and combat is a bit simplistic, but otherwise, it's great. I think the presentation gets better in the other two games, but what's here is really good. I love the chapter title things and the newpapers are pretty great.

Well, I just got AC Brotherhood, so I'll probably play that for a bit before jumping into 2 and 3. Looking forward to replaying them as well.

Infinity

I played through Sly 1, but never got around to 2 or 3. I'm really looking forward to replaying 1 in HD.

Sly 1 was one of my favorite PS/2 games and really brought me into the 3D platforming genre.

daoster

lastinline said:
I'm on Episode 5 of Sly 2 currently, and I think I like it better than Sly 1 so far. Though, Sly 1 had some great moments.

I love Sly 2 more than Sly 1 too, but I wish Sly 2's music was nearly as good as Sly 1's

I got both this and Brotherhood yesterday. I just popped this in to try it, and it has been stealing time from Brotherhood. I'm amazed at how well it has aged. Sony's first party output ages just as well as Nintendo's.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm a good bit into Sly 2: Band of Thieves right now. It's my first time and I was worried that it might not live up to Sly 1, but it has so far. I love pretty much everything about these games, the music, the way they look, they way that they control and play. This is definitely up there with my favorite series.

Initially I was disappointed by the lack of the tight, linear platforming levels of Sly Cooper 1 but there's a sense of exploration now with the more open city hubs and the missions make me feel like I'm on a heist. Plus, it really does look amazing. Especially the middle eastern palace level that I'm on right now (episode 2), the art style is excellent.

I also went back to the mini games again, it took me about 20 minutes to 100% them. The only one that is kinda fun is the "light gun" shooting part with the targets. I doubt I'll ever go back to them, though.

Seda

Sly 2 is awesome. It IS just as good as a remember it.

I really dig the environments and the hub-style levels.

boingball

Mush said:
I hate all of you in the US playing this right now.

Every. last. one. of. you.

:lol
I imported it from the U.S. Is still cheaper then buying it here in the store in NZ when it comes out... 56USD here in the store vs 46USD incl shipping I paid at amazon...
And I can play it NOW!:D

lastinline said:
I'm on Episode 7 of Sly 2, and I'm in heaven. Episodes 6 and 7 are probably my favorite episodes so far level design wise.
Just started sly 1 for the first time. Totally awesome.

I'm completely blown away by how good the game looks. If I didn't know better I would have thought it was a stylized built for ps3 game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
good to hear more positive impressions

more people should be playing this, I'm gonna cry when it ends up selling 12,000 copies

Bukana

Never played the series before and here's my review:

Sly

Great presentation, awesome ideas, the stages and the horseshoe charm reminded me of the doomed Crash series.

9/10

Sly II

Complete new ideas/presentation, shifted the series and it was awesome, especially Dimitri and Nylea !

Hated playing with Murray and Bentley, especially Murray because he was slow .

8.5/10

Sly III

Absolutely boring and has no life in it, the story sucks and the new characters are just the worst, and I hated it even more when they kept changing Carmilita's voice.
I was shocked when I realized there is no clue bottles/vault cracking!
However, they polished the graphics and the controls and new ideas that made it playable.

I think they rushed Sly 3 for some reason, IMO, when I play it, it feels like it is just mini-games from Sly 1&2.

5/10

Sly IV

What they need to do/bring back in Sly IV:

* Bring back clue bottles.
* Redesign the whole interface and the menues.
* More options in the option menu , for example, able to skip scenes and conversations.
* Able to skip the tutorial because come on , who doesn't know how to jump and slash !?
* Get rid of the whole new gang's members and leave the fatty and the annoying one (Murray & Bentley).
* Make Sly is the only playable characters or at least make the rest of the gang play one Job in each chapter!
* All the old moves from the previous series should be learned fromt the beginning.
* Able to create and choose customs and outfits for Sly .
* I want to see Sly aging or at least have a mustache like Snake.
* DON'T change Sly's voice .

[*] Great thread Snuggler [*]

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Your Sly 3 review is bumming me out. It's more than worth it just to play Sly 1 and Sly 2, but it'll still disappoint me if the 3rd isn't as good.

I like all of your ideas. For Sly 4, I hope Sucker Punch (or whoever is behind it) takes a 'less is more approach'. I liked his minimal moveset with the extra, optional abilities like in Sly 1. Sly's shitty friends should be left in the background, I don't hate their sections in Sly 2 so far but it's notably inferior to playing as Sly. I fuckin love playing as Sly, don't take that from me. No reason to bring back the minigames, either, it's just not as fun as being Sly.

I like the more open hub cities in Sly 2, I like them to keep that but bring back the linear, structured missions of Sly 1. Keep it simple, make it about getting from start to finish with the clue bottles hidden through out. I want a tight platformer like Sly 1, not an action adventure game. Oh yeah and unskippable cutscenes need to die. I don't need to have basic shit explained to me, and I'm not playing these games for a compelling narrative.

either way I'm psyched for more Sly!

Bukana

Snuggler said:
I like all of your ideas. For Sly 4, I hope Sucker Punch (or whoever is behind it) takes a 'less is more approach'. I liked his minimal moveset with the extra, optional abilities like in Sly 1. Sly's shitty friends should be left in the background, I don't hate their sections in Sly 2 so far but it's notably inferior to playing as Sly. I fuckin love playing as Sly, don't take that from me. No reason to bring back the minigames, either, it's just not as fun as being Sly.

I like the more open hub cities in Sly 2, I like them to keep that but bring back the linear, structured missions of Sly 1. Keep it simple, make it about getting from start to finish with the clue bottles hidden through out. I want a tight platformer like Sly 1, not an action adventure game.

either way I'm psyched for more Sly!

Exactly , that is what I want.

They did a great job in Sly 2 bringing ideas from Sly 1 and fresh new ideas to make it more enjoyable, however, in Sly 3 , I don't know what happened to them but it was the worst idea to expand the gang.

I just submitted this post in the Sucker Punch forum HERE!

Does anyone know how to contact SP through email !?

I have a question for people who have played/finished Sly 2:

I'm only on t he first level and
I had Dimitri's painting on my back, and I went to a mission marker without going to the safehouse first and it flew off.
Will this screw up my chances of getting a platinum trophy? In order words, will I have enough money to but everything from Thiefnet?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There are a lot of other treasures around that level. By the time I finished all the missions in that Episode, I had already bought all the skills. It's pretty easy to make enough money without going out of your way.

you should be fine

I just got the platinum trophy in Sly 2 a while ago. It was a lengthy and fun experience. I will start on Sly 3 sometime next week.

I might be int he minority here, but I'm really not feeling Sly 2.

The story is better than the first so far, but the hub world really feels disjointed. I hate playing as Bentley and Murray (I hate them so much), and hate running around to different points on the map. I guess I just feel like the levels wear out their welcome. Granted I'm only on level 2, but I'm not really excited to push forward.

It's still a fun game, I'm just really disappointed. I can't even imagine how I'll feel when I play Sly 3...

Bukana

I might be int he minority here, but I'm really not feeling Sly 2.

The story is better than the first so far, but the hub world really feels disjointed. I hate playing as Bentley and Murray (I hate them so much), and hate running around to different points on the map. I guess I just feel like the levels wear out their welcome. Granted I'm only on level 2, but I'm not really excited to push forward.

It's still a fun game, I'm just really disappointed. I can't even imagine how I'll feel when I play Sly 3...

I feel you man,

Sly 1 is like Crash Bandicoot NEXT-GEN, it was really fun , especially the voice acting and the atmosphere .

But I think I know why they changed the levels to worlds in Sly2, because Sly is a thief and would not be suited if there would be levels/stages , where in real life there are worlds and you know, rooms and clubs just like in Sly 2 , where you have to get inside rooms to steal stuff.

Hope you get it!

Bukana said:
I feel you man,

Sly 1 is like Crash Bandicoot NEXT-GEN, it was really fun , especially the voice acting and the atmosphere .

But I think I know why they changed the levels to worlds in Sly2, because Sly is a thief and would not be suited if there would be levels/stages , where in real life there are worlds and you know, rooms and clubs just like in Sly 2 , where you have to get inside rooms to steal stuff.

Hope you get it!

I'm going to stick with it for sure. I don't hate it per say, I just think there is something mission.

The more I play these games the more I like InFamous. Not because it's better, but because it feels like a natural evolution to the Sly games/controls.

Snuggler said:
Your Sly 3 review is bumming me out. It's more than worth it just to play Sly 1 and Sly 2, but it'll still disappoint me if the 3rd isn't as good.

The 3rd game is still pretty enjoyable for the most part. You just need to try your best to forgive the "loads of shitty friends" parts.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
canadian crowe said:
I'm going to stick with it for sure. I don't hate it per say, I just think there is something mission.

The more I play these games the more I like InFamous. Not because it's better, but because it feels like a natural evolution to the Sly games/controls.

Every time I play Infamous I think of Sly 4 and how much more fun it'd be to have the gameplay and a character I actually liked.

I started playing a bit of Sly 3 today. It looks good, most of everything seems good so far. With that said, what the hell did they do to Carmelita's voice? Seriously, why the heck did they go and drastically change her voice like that? I got used to how she sounded before, and she is like this totally new character in this game. Not a fan of that, but I'm not going to let that hinder my enjoyment of this game. I just hope Sucker Punch gets a better sounding voice actress for Carmelita in Sly 4. The original voice actress or a similar sounding female would be ideal.

lastinline said:
I started playing a bit of Sly 3 today. It looks good, most of everything seems good so far. With that said, what the hell did they do to Carmelita's voice? Seriously, why the heck did they go and drastically change her voice like that? I got used to how she sounded before, and she is like this totally new character in this game. Not a fan of that, but I'm not going to let that hinder my enjoyment of this game. I just hope Sucker Punch gets a better sounding voice actress for Carmelita in Sly 4. The original voice actress or a similar sounding female would be ideal.

Sly 3's Carmelita was a big improvement over Sly 2's, but neither voice beats the original.

gdt

Any deals on this for Black Friday? Thinking of picking it up, but might as well wait a few days and see...

Mmmm. Feels good to roll through Sly 1 again. I think this is the first PS3 game I'll have the ability and inclination to get the Platinum for.

The game looks so good in 60fps HD, this series oozes style and atmosphere. Looking forward to going through Sly 2 after this, I loved the way the heists came together... even though I probably prefer the more linear structure of the first game, stylistically it's a nice extension on the whole thief theme. I never did beat Sly 3 back in the day and really can't remember anything about it, I'm aching to get to it.

monocromo

lastinline said:

That text and your avatar = does not compute.

Having never played Sly 2 and 3 before (still haven't gotten to 3 yet) and loving Sly 1 after playing it twice...

God damn Sly 2 is a disappointment in basically every way.

JohngPR

Just beat Mad Dog's stage in Sly 1. Loved it. Even the lighting is much improved. It was especially noticeable when you would climb on the neon signs.

I am really loving this game. It's funny because I remember that I beat this game when it first came out, but I don't remember all of the levels. Not sure why that is. LOL

Synless

I platinumed the first game a few days ago and to be honest, I thought it was a pretty average game. I hope the other two are better.

So, I played more of Sly 3 today, got to Episode 3. This one is pretty funny, and it's enjoyable like the ones before it as well.

monocromo said:
That text and your avatar = does not compute.
Haha. I didn't mind Cole in inFamous, and I didn't mind the new Cole either. This situation with Carmelita on the other hand is a bit different. I liked her voice in Sly 1, I didn't hate it in Sly 3, and at the beginning of Sly 3 I loathed it. I'm starting to warm up to her voice now, actually. It just took a bit of time.

GeoramA

Platinum'd Sly 1. Loved it, except for the Mz Ruby boss. I can't believe the fucking audio was out of sync...it's a goddamn rhythm-based fight :lol Thank god you can button-mash without it penalising you.

Can't wait to dive into Sly 2.

wouwie

I pre-ordered the collection. Really looking forward to playing these games for the first time :) Hopefully, Sly 4 will be announced in the not too distant future.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
wouwie said:
@recklessmind: and the joke was?

From the review posted above:

eurogamer said:
You've got three of the most endearing platformers ever created to pick over instead, and an unlockable teaser trailer hinting that a fourth instalment is on the way. Sly 4, finally!

:D

The teaser is on youtube. Sly 4 has basically been announced.

Volcynika

Did anyone else get some crazy skipping on Sly 1 with the video you get for getting all the pages of the Thievius Racoonus? All the other videos were fine but this one acted up. I had no issues with any other part of the game so I don't think it's my console...

I completed Sly 3 just a while ago. I didn't get 100%, because I have yet to do the Challenges, but I'm going to start on that tomorrow. Overall, I liked Sly 3. It was funny, and fun throughout.

Volcynika said:
Did anyone else get some crazy skipping on Sly 1 with the video you get for getting all the pages of the Thievius Racoonus? All the other videos were fine but this one acted up. I had no issues with any other part of the game so I don't think it's my console...
No, I have not had an issue like that at all.

Top Bottom