• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sly Collection |OT| Fly Cooper: Band of Deeds

I got the Sly 1 Platinum a few minutes ago, that was fun and easy.

Leveling on PSN seems to have drastically slowed down at Level 12. Yesterday I was Level 12 @ 14%. 24 bronzes, 9 silvers, 6 golds and 1 platinum later... I am Level 12 @ 31%.

I finished Sly 1 and got my platinum trophy as well. I'll play Sly 2 soon, but I don't want to jump right into it. I want to put at least a few days in between each game, so I don't finish them all in no time.

krae_man

DIrtyWeasel said:

Leveling on PSN seems to have drastically slowed down at Level 12. Yesterday I was Level 12 @ 14%. 24 bronzes, 9 silvers, 6 golds and 1 platinum later... I am Level 12 @ 31%.

Yes it does. It requires 4 times the trophies starting past level 12. You need to plat about 6.5 games to go up a level now. The easy trophies on these is one of the best ideas of these collections.

Anyway, working my way through the first game now and just got past Mugshot, game is still sooo fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jeels said:
There aren't any reviews in the OP, any reads?

I still haven't seen a single review for it

In this case, they're pretty much unnecessary though. If you're not familiar with Sly 1-3, you can still look up their reviews from the PS2 era and theres not much to say about the remake aside from the fact that it looks super hot in 60fps & HD, it's all on one disc, and there are some so-so Move minigames attached to it.

Shurs

Snuggler said:
I still haven't seen a single review for it

In this case, they're pretty much unnecessary though. If you're not familiar with Sly 1-3, you can still look up their reviews from the PS2 era and theres not much to say about the remake aside from the fact that it looks super hot in 60fps & HD, it's all on one disc, and there are some so-so Move minigames attached to it.

I received a review copy on Friday.

My first impression, as someone new to the series, is that the game (Sly 1) looks really nice. I'm hoping there will be more complexity to the enemy interactions than I've seen so far. Thus far, it has consisted of running up to them, avoiding a either a giant hammer or breath of fire and hitting them with my staff.

I'm barely into the game, though, so I'm sure it will open up a bit more.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The combat is minimal, which I like since combat is usually a pain in 3D platformers. Enemies die in one hit, you usually die in one hit. Nice and simple. It's never gonna get too challenging in the main game, though, if you're looking for a swift kick in the ass, I highly recommend giving the Master Thief sprints a shot. They demand perfection.

krae_man

Snuggler said:
The combat is minimal, which I like since combat is usually a pain in 3D platformers. Enemies die in one hit, you usually die in one hit. Nice and simple. It's never gonna get too challenging in the main game, though, if you're looking for a swift kick in the ass, I highly recommend giving the Master Thief sprints a shot. They demand perfection.

Some levels have short cuts that make the target easy. You can get to the upper area of some levels earlier then you're supposed to and get under the target easy. But yeah, other then that they are hard.

DIrtyWeasel said:

Mhm which makes the trophies vs. achievements argument put to rest. The leveling system of the trophies looks much more rewarding than much adding numbers.

Not starting a war, just quoting a fact! =P

daoster

Sly 1 beaten...

now it's off to Sly 2, where Carmelita loses her East L.A. accent (or was that suppose to be FRENCH? :lol )

DIrtyWeasel said:

Think im nearly level 15, did 48% of trophies on F:NV and 28% on Call of duty BOP's and it moved me only about 4% total, expect to be stuck on the same level for quite a few months past 12 :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've started Sly 2 for the first time. I knew they made some changes, but I didn't expect it to be so drastic. I'm a little concerned about having to play as Bentley/Murray, I just wanna be Sly, but aside from that I'm enjoying the change of pace. It's pretty cool to move around the city on the roof tops and stuff, and they added a lot of new elements to the missions.

It looks so good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Foxtastical said:
Again, does anyone have any pictures of the alternate cover if it exists?

I would have answered this earlier, but alls I got is a POS cell phone cam that can only take decent pictures in perfect lighting

4MpnP.jpg

if you can make out the box art in that imagine, that's the alt cover. Nothing on the spine of the case.

eznark

Banned
Just got it in the mail. What an awesome reward after spending about 72 straight hours building shelves for my home office. Cannot wait to dive in!!!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm stating the obvious but that "alternate cover" isn't really an alternate cover at all. Its just something they printed on the back side of the cover because PS3 cases are clear and you can see the back when you open the case. MLB 10 is the only other game i have that has it but I suspect it either comes with the all games with the new PS3 branding or all the games published by sony.

I dont know why anyone would use those things as the actual cover art since it has nothing on the spine.

ascii42

thepotatoman said:
Maybe I'm stating the obvious but that "alternate cover" isn't really an alternate cover at all. Its just something they printed on the back side of the cover because PS3 cases are clear and you can see the back when you open the case. MLB 10 is the only other game i have that has it but I suspect it either comes with the all games with the new PS3 branding or all the games published by sony.

I dont know why anyone would use those things as the actual cover art since it has nothing on the spine.
All Sony published games seem to have it, and a few non-Sony games as well, such as Bioshock. PSP is the same way.

JohngPR

I'm loving this game all over again. I forgot how challenging the master thief sprints are. It almost reminds me of Super Meat Boy in that they are challenging, but never frustrating because it's usually your fault if you don't succeed. Not only that, but it has an instant restart button which makes a world of difference.

Just beat Raleigh and completed 2-6 master thief sprints so I still have a lot of game left to go.

Snuggler said:
I would have answered this earlier, but alls I got is a POS cell phone cam that can only take decent pictures in perfect lighting

4MpnP.jpg

if you can make out the box art in that imagine, that's the alt cover. Nothing on the spine of the case.
Ah, cool, but lame.

Thanks for posting, though.

*runs stealthily behind Mush, presses Triangle and Square* :D

I ended up getting the collection, and jumped right into Sly 2......wow, not sure who peed in my cornflakes last time, because I was instantly engaged and charmed this time....I think because I picked up Sly and Sly 2 at the same time a few years ago, and I tried to get into Sly 2 after marathoning Sly 1........anyway, Sly 2 is indeed class. Though I still find the voice actress change for Carmalita to be jarring (though they both suck in different ways). I think it stands out because the main 3 are perfectly voiced.

TripOpt55

Sly 2 has always been my favorite Sly game so I'm looking forward to seeing what I think this time around. I'm in the fourth area of 1 at the moment. Had to exchange my new PS3 since it wasn't working quite right and do the first two areas over again or I'd probably be further/finished. Really enjoying it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sly 2 does seem really cool so far. I really do like the change of pace, specially since I'm playing 'em all right now, I would get bored with repeats of the Sly 1 formula. I just hope I don't have to spend much time with his shitty friends.

Great games, but does Sly 2 and 3 change up the saving system? I hate finding a checkpoint, but still having to finished the level before I quit.

daoster

canadian crowe said:
Great games, but does Sly 2 and 3 change up the saving system? I hate finding a checkpoint, but still having to finished the level before I quit.

Never played Sly 3 so I can't answer it, but Sly 2 is completely different from Sly 1's save system (the game is a bit different too).

When you save in Sly 2, the mission is automatically reset, and you're back to your base when you start up again.

Def Jukie

Just finished Sly 1 and got my platinum trophy. I'm doing the master thief sprints right now and unless I am missing something, they removed the commentary tracks from this version. I finished two levels in the first world and cannot figure out how to trigger the commentary. There are no prompts on the screen for it and nothing I am doing is starting the track. Anyone know about this? I'm assuming they removed them which is a bummer.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Def Jukie said:
Just finished Sly 1 and got my platinum trophy. I'm doing the master thief sprints right now and unless I am missing something, they removed the commentary tracks from this version. I finished two levels in the first world and cannot figure out how to trigger the commentary. There are no prompts on the screen for it and nothing I am doing is starting the track. Anyone know about this? I'm assuming they removed them which is a bummer.

I asked about the commentary pages ago and if they are removed truly, then that is a major bummer. So much so that I might just pass on this bundle entirely.

I gotta buy this. I only ever played Sly 2, and I got maybe a third of the way through it. I liked the way it looked on PS2, so this should be great.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Unregistered007 said:
People who bought the game

is the frame rate perfect ??

Yes.

I'm no expert but throughout the entirety of Sly 1 and after a good bit of Sly 2, I haven't seen the frame rate fall below 60fps. Always nice and smooth.

Oneself

I sincerly hope this game will sell enough so we can get our hands on a Jak collection among others.
Again, just like the God of War one, Sly Collection screams quality. Constant 60fps, aspect ratio corrected for 16:9 TV etc. And I have read comments a while back about the supposed lack of control customization.. I guess those people didn't check the option menu.

Overall, we're far from that PoP:HD released yesterday.

Slaylock

IGN Review: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1134877p1.html

Should you buy The Sly Collection? Yes, absolutely. Even if you've already played all three games (and I've found that most people seem to have played one of the games and missed the other two), this is a series worth revisiting. You get to see the history of Sucker Punch as a developer, you get to play some of the best platformers of last generation, and you get one of the greatest bargains in video games since The Orange Box.

joelseph

Just started Sly 1 for the first time and have an embarrassing question: What does the 3rd symbol represent on Level entrances? The hourglass icon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
joelseph said:
Just started Sly 1 for the first time and have an embarrassing question: What does the 3rd symbol represent on Level entrances? The hourglass icon.

it's for the Master Thief Sprints, which are unlocked after you clear all the levels in the chaper (if I remember right).

DonMigs85

Oneself said:
I sincerly hope this game will sell enough so we can get our hands on a Jak collection among others.
Again, just like the God of War one, Sly Collection screams quality. Constant 60fps, aspect ratio corrected for 16:9 TV etc. And I have read comments a while back about the supposed lack of control customization.. I guess those people didn't check the option menu.

Overall, we're far from that PoP:HD released yesterday.
Why can't Sega ever learn from this?

Baha

Completed Sly 1 last night and started 2. So glad I picked this up, anybody looking for some great platforming should pick up this collection in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom