• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The time is now for Valve to re-enter the console market

LakeOf9

Xbox's current issues leave an opening for a new platform in the high end space. Valve has already successfully expanded the footprint of Steam beyond PC with the Steam Deck, and I feel now would be a good time for them to bring back their Steam Machine concept - with some changes:
  • Introduce a new Steam Deck that comes with the dock included; the docked Steam Deck is the higher spec profile that anything that wants Steam "console" (or "machine" certification must meet or exceed)
  • Make a new variant of this hardware that lacks any handheld ability and runs only at the docked profile - this can become a cheap Steam Machine console. It can be the flagship model, and other third parties can make their own versions of this, either with specs that are better, or UI that natively supports other stores, etc. Its better specs will increase the cost, but cutting out the handheld specific components (such as a screen or a battery) should help counter that.
  • Maintain the current verification program - it's great! Everything being instantly identifiable as compatible (or not) with your existing hardware is the secret sauce that makes the Steam Deck work. Keep that (but obviously expand it to include certification for the new console spec discussed in the previous points)
  • Make a new Steam Controller to go along with the new "console" - take the learnings from the Steam Deck and make it based on that
  • Through all of this, maintain and keep the primary advantages of PC gaming and Steam, primarily the opennness. Support other docks, other controllers (including other console ones), other cables, other storefronts, all of that, out of the box - just like Steam Deck.
I think the primary issue with the Steam Machine the first time was, it was answering a question no one asked. It was solving a problem no one had. Who were the Steam Machines for? What was the point? You were spending more money to get finnickier hardware that didn't even support all of your Steam games - let alone games from other storefronts. They were expensive to buy, had no marketing. largely fronted by third parties (Valve didn't put out one of their own), and were entering an extremely crowded space to begin with.

Right now, none of those points apply - the price in this scenario would be in line with the other consoles, the appeal is the extension of the Steam ecosystem to console gaming, the library problem is sorted (and continues to be sorted daily) thanks to Valve's Proton efforts, the UI is very polished and easy to use for mainstream audiences, Valve would be building and marketing this themselves with all the muscle and budget that implies, and as said at the start of this thread, they are entering a market that is a lot more open than it was when they first tried it - with Xbox spiralling on its way out, there is potentially a spot for a new entrant to come in and offer a compelling and well differentiated product.

Will Valve do this? I don't know. But I do think the following two things, if they do, it will be more successful than the first time, and I think it will be more successful than Xbox Series currently is - at least, assuming a global retail launch.

What do you think?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They never entered it in order to "re" do, all they've ever done is sell/license PCs and accessories (which work for the purposes of the owner regardless of the given model's success, there are countless models and options for any single PC to need to magically eclipse some console's numbers for it to be a fine PC for the user and for the platform itself to be the best and most successful), some more than others and that's all they will do, stick with improving the PC in software and if they have good ideas/timing like the Deck then hardware options for others to follow too, never any console lol🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

the market/industry is barely able to sustain 1 console and people want more.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It'd be niche, but I do think there's room for it similar to how there's room for the Steam Deck (which is also niche despite being so popular in hardcore gaming circles).

A Steam device with comparable power to a modern console, a TV friendly UI, and access to all Steam games would be appealing to a good chunk of folks I think.

It'd be the one "console" that can play both Xbox and Playstation exclusives.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What console market?

Edit: this is flippant, the point is that it's soon going to be Playstation doing their thing and Nintendo doing their thing and you do not need a SteamTV in a world where the kids are smart and can plug a PC into a TV

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
An open console that I can put emulators in, mod and patch it's games and my own leisure and just do whatever I want with it?

Could be cool, but for those that already have a PC I don't know if it'd offer anything of value beyond the form factor.

El Muerto

Gold Member
It will never work. People buy consoles for the easy out of box experience. PC gaming is a bit more involved. Unless they have Steam automatically apply graphics in individual games for specific hardware, then people expecting a console like experience will be disappointed. Just go on Facebook marketplace and look at all the people selling their pc handhelds because they have buyers remorse. Best buy also has a ton of open box Rog Allys and Lenovo Legion Go's because of people returning them for reasons. Not trying to belittle console users at all, I game on both. Just two different ecosystems for different people.

RoboCain

Yes, but they need to build the thing themselves. The whole point of consoles is the easiness of use and unified hardware for development. Also, give me a linux distro that can run games and navigate media apps like retroarch and plex with a controller.

StereoVsn

Valve has way under 1,000 people employed. Probably closer to 500. Who the heck would design, support and maintain this on top of Steam Deck.

What they could do is support new SteamOS a bit better so more manufacturers would ship boxes with that pre-installed but even that requires more people than Valve has.

And with Valve’s super flat corporate structure, they can’t grow much.

Fess

It needs to support all other PC stores and on the same UI and have Windows. Any limitations from trying to have a closed garden will make it fail. I know some use a dual boot setup on Steam Deck but it needs to be more seamless than that to compete with a console.

I would buy a Steam console. I love the dualsense, but do not trust the teams at Sony (or MS for that matter) to deliver a fun experience without any pandering. After seeing the Olympics opening ceremony, I have realized that this brainrot is not gonna end. I will simply move my business to companies that have nothing to do with this agenda.
I have held out on buying a PS5, I do not think I will ever get one. Also, thanks to regional pricing (India), most games are dirt cheap on Steam.

Durin

I care less about Valve making their own console hardware, so much as streamlining more parts of the PC process like they've done with the Steam Deck to make any PC capable of feeling easier to use like a console-esque experience.

The Steam Deck works so well because of SteamOS, where it has a proper suspend state that lets me wake my device to the exact spot in the game I was on near instantly, it boots to a nice game-pad friendly front-end, Deckly Loader adds plug-ins that customize that UI to add features or add to overlay options (ex: spotify media controls), and some games actually seem to run better using less RAM with Proton on Linux vs Windows(at least on AMD hardware). Just want them to release the OS for anyone to install on any kind of PC already.

Also spit-balling ideas:
  1. Expand shader-caching to any PC. I'd love if Valve could somehow expand their shared shader cache system, where your Steam Deck uploads your shader cache at the end of each game session, and combines these caches for people with their Fossilize tool to be able to download pre-cached shaders so games like Elden Ring stutter less. I don't know if there is a way to expand this to be compatible with different hardware configurations, but if possible would alleviate shader compilation BS plaguing some games (especially UE4 titles).
  2. Make a better Steam Controller with the improvements to trackpad accuracy for cursor-driven games, capacitive analog sticks for quick flick fast turns with gyro aiming featured on the Steam Deck. Then reduce the size of those trackpads vs. the original Steam Controller, fit a proper d-pad with two analog sticks + bigger face buttons, a good motor for rumble support like the GuliKit controllers, something akin to PS5 adaptive triggers, and grippier material throughout.
  3. Design a good cheap eGPU enclosure. All of the GPU enclosures I've seen are usually overpriced, especially if they offer Thunderbolt 5 connectivity for necessary bandwidth improvements. Offer good adjustable sizing for long cards, an elegant design so it's not an eyesore, and make the GPU installation + connection process to a docked handheld or laptop as easy as possible.
  4. Offer their hardware for sale on other retailers over time based on demand. I would like to think they're already going to do this with the success of the Steam Deck, but they need to be on Amazon or a physical retailer like Best Buy to get more market penetration for people who don't even have Steam yet.

Last edited:

Drew1440

The Alienware Alpha was a pretty good attempt, small yet powerful it's time and only slightly bigger than a Mac mini. I think Valve would stand a better chance today with more native Linux games, and improved support for Proton-wrapped games along with an updated controller.
The only issue is what advantage does it offer over the PS5 or Series X? Possibly with it's larger game library and mod support for games. Ideally Valve would start making video games again and release exclusive games like Left 4 Dead 3, Team Fortress 3, etc.

Holographicman

Neo Member
For me. No. Steam is on Windows, Linux and mac. And soon Mac will catch up. That's why I have my steam account that is older than HL2. It works. I like the freedom they provide. I mostly make music and work on Mac, but I dualboot to windows if it's a game I want to play. So no to dedicated hardware unless it's beneficial to a game that is "impossible" on other hardware. That isn't a thing anymore.

Denton

You mean PC market, because hypothetical SteamTop (or SteamDesk, or SteamBox) would be a PC, just like Steam Deck is a PC. Even if it was aimed at living room gaming.

On one hand, sure they could do it. But on the other, it seems like MS will do exactly that with the next Xbox. So Valve might just make a deal with MS to have Steam preinstalled and not deal with the hassle of supporting another hardware box.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Handhelds that connect to a display is all that’s needed, and Valve already does that.

Nintendo’s doesn't even bother with consoles.

Holographicman

Neo Member
at this point, I would take any kind of closure. But as a fan, (lost coast was a tease), yeah, imagine a HL2 sequel with fast paced gunplay, mindblowing physics and a world that is responding to how you interact with characters and actions you take.

edit: sorry don't know how to quote

Last edited:

SHA

The difference between valve and other consoles is when Gabe pass away you own nothing, and there's concrete prove to what I just said.

Ozriel

M$FT
Make a console that plays the same games people play on their PCs, with middling specs, fully open for piracy day 1, small profit margins and a significant increase in hardware support costs?

Why would Valve want to do that?

clarky

Gold Member
What to you mean re-enter? Steam machine wasn't a console.

And no they should not enter, they are the kings of the biggest userbase on the planet why would they?

Kacho

Gold Member
the next iteration of the steam deck will be stronger and hopefully will have a more elegant docking device. that is basically a console.
Yep. Steam Deck MK2 will be the answer. I’m playing EDF6 via a dock on the tv and it’s the bomb. Just need a machine that can do the more demanding games.

Last edited:
You mean PC market, because hypothetical SteamTop (or SteamDesk, or SteamBox) would be a PC, just like Steam Deck is a PC. Even if it was aimed at living room gaming.

On one hand, sure they could do it. But on the other, it seems like MS will do exactly that with the next Xbox. So Valve might just make a deal with MS to have Steam preinstalled and not deal with the hassle of supporting another hardware box.
Why have a deal with MS when Steam was going to be installed anyway? Steam gets installed because people WANT to use Steam. Valve doesn't need to force anybody.

pasterpl

First they need to fix steam deck. Lots of my library simply doesn’t work at all on steam deck. That’s why I am selling mine now and upgrading to another pc handheld.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Valve is working on Steam Deck 2, Deckard and a software project. They're a small company that is already spread thin. There's no world that they can compete in a dying market without going public and raising a bunch of capital.

Jaybe

First they need to fix steam deck. Lots of my library simply doesn’t work at all on steam deck. That’s why I am selling mine now and upgrading to another pc handheld.
Can’t you just install Windows on the Steam Deck you have?

Top Bottom