• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

Owen Jones was pretty spot on about a few things in this video he did a few days ago:

https://youtu.be/3FqAaD_lsRw

• Cameron resigning
  • Corbyn coup
  • Possibility of a second Scottish referendum
  • Possibility of other EU countries holding referendum
  • Even the Leave Remain percentages in the graphics were almost right

Why do you blame anything? Where you not for Leave?

Yes I did vote leave and no I do not regret voting leave because I voted leave for the right reasons. However I am not immune to the fact that there are many leave voters today with voter remorse and I am merely speculating that one of the reasons for that is the opinion polls.

I have always felt that Opinion polls are anti-democratic and have way too much influence on the final result. I am fine with leave winning but I would have preferred if leave had won for the RIGHT reasons.

dumbo

Most people in UK felt this is where we have been anyway for past number of years, pump money in, EU imposes whatever they feel like.

There are very few things that have been imposed on us by Europe - the last one that I can remember was the imposition of limits on bankers bonuses... something which our government fiercely opposed (and yet the majority of the UK public strongly agreed with).

The vast majority of EU legislation:
- is perfectly sensible.
- is supported by the UK government (who often help draft it).
- is described as Eurocrats trying to destroy civilisation by the Sun.

JP_

Banned
Just because immigration is a main focus for a lot of people doesn't mean they are racists or xenophobic either. What is inherently wrong with wanting greater control of your own borders?

Again, what does this have to do with racism? Wanting less immigration does not make you a racist.

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/746284427165184000

Leavers are a lot like Trump voters.

CltVc6WWMAER8qd.jpg

jelly

Can't believe we gave up the EU and with good terms and for what, bloody hell. Even if Scotland and the rest try to join to the EU, it will be on worse terms than what we had. How fucking idiotic.

Lime

UK will be fine without the EU - they can just do deals with the wonderful friends of Donald Trump, Marie Le Pen, Viktor Orban, Gert Wilders, Golden Dawn (literal neo-nazis!!!!), the Danish People's Party, the Swedish Democrats, the PiS in Poland, and anyone else who share their priorities. These are the ones approving this, so these people and Leave are at least ideological bedfellows when it comes to EU (and "immigrants").

Good job good effort, Leavers! Enabling the far-right movement in Europe even further with this bullshit.

Moosichu

Well, if the premise of the EU is for countries like UK to pump money into an undemocratic system then of course you will get people pushing back.

Eu needs to reform, and it probably will.

I am sure Germany / France and Uk will work it out (would not be surprised if they have already prepared for this). Looks like it.

The EU is democratic.

deli2000

It seems people would rather make sweeping statements about the population voting to leave, I can't really argue against that kind of hate.

I voted leave and will probably get accused of being a xenophobic skin head racist now.

Having a group of people hate you for no discernible reason other than irrational fear and hatred is pretty bad. Now imagine that for the past 10 years and you havee the UKIP effect for minorities in this country. UKIP is one the main voices for the leave campaign, and a leave victory has only increased their popularity and the effect on attitudes in this country, intentional or not.

As annoying as it must be to hear it, can you at least understand why a large amount of people would be angry at this, especially as 'rational fears about immigration' have been rebuked time and time again and yet it still comes up.

Knoxcore

Personally I blame the opinion polls. I really do believe opinion polls should be illegal because they influence the vote in a very adverse way.

The opinion polls towards the end were showing a huge swing to remain which lead to two things. Firstly remain voters became complacent and thought "well remain have it in the bag I don't need to vote today" Secondly people started thinking "well remain has it in the bag because the opinion polls say so, I am gonna vote leave to be just a lil bit different cos it won't matter".

Another part of the problem with the UK is every general election we experience the uniquely British form of democracy of "your vote doesn't really matter anyway" and that is true in a general election but in a referendum your vote does matter and I think people failed to realise this.

I think the polls were accurate...before Jo Cox's assassination.

If you average all the polls in June, before campaigning was suspended, it will be 48% Leave, 44% Remain. A 4-point victory. That's pretty similar to the actual result. I think there was a knee jerk reaction to the death of Jo Cox, but nothing substantive had changed on the ground to change people's minds.

If Germany offers access to the free market and other benefits to the UK they might as well end the EU there because everyone will leave.

Being strict to the UK is their best course of action even if they'll obviously maintain business relations.

People should read the original article, there's no concession:

Schäuble's Secret Brexit Plan

The German government aims to push for the European Union to negotiate an association agreement with Britain once it leaves the E.U., but wants to avoid making too many concessions that would give incentives for other states to follow suit, according to an internal German finance ministry paper seen by Handelsblatt.

An association treaty spells out trading rules and other regulations between the European Union and a non-E.U. country, for instance whether import tariffs apply to certain goods or services.

A treaty with Britain, once it had left the European Union, should not offer too much leeway to Britain in gaining access to the European Union’s internal market, said the ministry’s document, of which Handelsblatt has obtained a copy.

The document, prepared by Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble’s department, is called “German strategy regarding Brexit.” Eight pages long, the paper details how the government wants to deal with Britain as it leaves the European Union.

To deter other European countries from leaving the bloc, the European Union “should refrain from setting wrong incentives for other member states when renegotiating relations,” said the paper.

Garjon

Heard on Radio that German and french are saying a free trade with UK is already being put up. You really think its just UK this effects ?

Germany and France are as keen as UK to have a free trade agreement imo. Done. Wish I could find a link, was on radio.

No chance would the EU allow that, it'd have to be the entirety of the EU or not at all. And based on what has been said by European leaders, not-at-all is the more likely.
In addition, free trade also means free movement of labour.

Jeels

This has long been the perception among red states in the US, particularly in the rural South.

And the blue states subsidize states in the rural south. What they dont understand is that it is their own local politicians that are the reason for their issues. It's easy to blame outsiders.

Izuna

Banned
I think all the Jo Cox assassination and Farage's racist billboard did was alert Remain voters who didn't fucking register.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Makes me rethink all those "that's how democracy works" and "everyone should vote" posts. There is a portion of the population who has no idea what they're doing.

Every election in the US there's always some vid of an interview with someone that goes something like, "I'm not sure who to vote for, I'm going to enter the voting booth and pray on it."

Like shit, you've had months and months of wall-to-wall media coverage and debate, how can you not have a strong opinion on the matter?

Bold One

The sense of betrayal I feel is unfathomable.

There's this pit deep in the middle of my stomach. I just can't come to terms with it.

This country deserves everything thats coming to it, I for one will planning my very own Bolxit

Democracy:

"We fully support a democratic society...that is, until democracy doesn't go our way"

That's what I've seen a lot of today. sigh.
Funny. The kind of demonstrably pious - let's rise above it (aka eh chaps what a bunch of hypocritical lefty wankers) - attitude on display here is getting equally familiar.

There's plenty of dumb to go around (leave/remain/space) but I wouldn't want to rob anyone from camp leave of the chance to make blanket statements about other people making blanket statements.

The political reality is always more nuanced but honestly I really feel like attaching some kind of tacky second rate Road to Wigan Pier reasoning as to why certain demo's voted how they did is intellectually dishonest.

Most legitimate immigration concerns are a result of successive government mismanagement and migrants from cultures outside the EU. Regardless everyone's a bloody expert so what do I know.

Tak3n

Banned
I have resigned myself in the knowledge that as leave won i wont be getting my second wish of Blair getting declared a war criminal

TheFatOne

I'm deathly afraid that once Hilary wins, adds her Democrat to the SCOTUS and overturns the decision on immigration reform, the conservatives here are going to do the same fear tactic and call for action.
Lol. They have been running that game already the second a black man took office.

Hazzuh

Makes me rethink all those "that's how democracy works" and "everyone should vote" posts. There is a portion of the population who has no idea what they're doing.

Every election in the US there's always some vid of an interview with someone that goes something like, "I'm not sure who to vote for, I'm going to enter the voting booth and pray on it."

Like shit, you've had months and months of wall-to-wall media coverage and debate, how can you not have a strong opinion on the matter?

These are the swing voters which decide elections.

Again this garbage argument of "not informed enough", just come out and say clearly what you want, that white racist xenomorphs aren't allowed to vote already. Stop trying to act like a defender of democracy, shit is flawed but you stand by the principal.

ZenTzen

Yes I did vote leave and no I do not regret voting leave because I voted leave for the right reasons. However I am not immune to the fact that there are many leave voters today with voter remorse and I am merely speculating that one of the reasons for that is the opinion polls.

I have always felt that Opinion polls are anti-democratic and have way too much influence on the final result. I am fine with leave winning but I would have preferred if leave had won for the RIGHT reasons.

And what are these right reasons if i may ask

Tak3n

Banned
Trade Unions weigh in, protecting Corbyn

Union leaders backing Jeremy Corbyn to continue as Labour leader have issued a statement.

The prime minister's resignation has triggered a Tory leadership crisis. At the very time we need politicians to come together for the common good, the Tory party is plunging into a period of argument and infighting. In the absence of a government that puts the people first Labour must unite as a source of national stability and unity. It should focus on speaking up for jobs and workers' rights under threat, and on challenging any attempt to use the referendum result to introduce a more right-wing Tory government by the backdoor. The last thing Labour needs is a manufactured leadership row of its own in the midst of this crisis and we call upon all Labour MPs not to engage in any such indulgence."
It's been signed by:

Len McCluskey, General Secretary, Unite the Union
Dave Prentis, General Secretary, UNISON
Tim Roache, General Secretary, GMB
Dave Ward, General Secretary, CWU
Brian Rye, Acting General Secretary, UCATT
Manuel Cortes, General Secretary, TSSA
Mick Whelan, General Secretary, ASLEF
Matt Wrack, General Secretary, FBU
John Smith, General Secretary, Musicians' Union
Gerry Morrissey, General Secretary, BECTU
Ronnie Draper, General Secretary, BFAWU
Chris Kitchen, General Secretary, NUM

DiGiKerot

I apologize if this is not the place for this or if it has already been discussed but...

As an American who is going to the UK next week, what does this mean to us as a traveler? Will we notice any difference?

If you are in London, a lot of people might look a bit miserable, but it might be hard to tell the difference if you've not been there before.

Otherwise, it'll mostly be in your benefit anyway. Your money will likely be worth more, and most folks here don't have anything particular against 'Murkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom