• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

They were just asking how the public felt on my local news:

Some lady on it said: " I voted out and it is great news, me and my family will be celebrating Independence Day every year"

FStop7

Banned
French and Irish government announce no changes in immigration agreements.

Good right?

This is all in regard to today and the immediate future. Long term there are going to be changes. They may not be severe, but there will absolutely be changes since new agreements will need to be created.

Foffy

Banned

Some lady on it said: " I voted out and it is great news, me and my family will be celebrating Independence Day every year"

Hope they like the prospect of enjoying it in poverty? ;)

Dougald

My brother is in academia, most of his friends are either potentially going to lose their funding, or are EU citizens and will have to leave. So much for UK research

danthefan

This is all in regard to today and the immediate future. Long term there are going to be changes. They may not be severe, but there will absolutely be changes since new agreements will need to be created.

I think there will be no change with Ireland. Closing the border would be an absolute tragedy.

The Commission are already starting the process of invoking Article 50 according to some news reports.

Have they read Art. 50?

1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention.

My brother is in academia, most of his friends are either potentially going to lose their funding, or are EU citizens and will have to leave. So much for UK research

It's gonna be ugly, I suspect.

'Independence Day' is going to become an interesting (read: horrifying and depressing) mess, isn't it.

Still not as bad as the black man I saw on ITV saying he was glad "we have our country back."

Is this going to affect the US economy badly? I heard some people saying there could be another 2008 recession if this gets really bad. Hopefully they're full of shit

My friend just said six of her colleagues will be let go and one on a placement who has an interview for a permanent job offer got told it won't be available anymore. Aviation engineering industry. What a kick in the nuts.

I'm friends with a couple of guys in our London office. Everyone thinks at least 100 of the 500 people there are going to be let go as work shifts to Amsterdam. The mood sounds just awful. Best wishes everyone.

Spookie

From fucking who? When was it taken you fucking moron? This persons vote holds the same weight as my own. Jesus wept.

Heigic

Perhaps it is the remain voters that are now googling to see what leaving the EU means because they never really considered leaving? Everyone voting leave and now Googling to find out what it means is a shit narrative.

Hari Seldon

There is definitely a seriously major trend of anti-globalization going on pretty much everywhere. That 2008 financial crisis is the source of everything it seems. You can only outsource and close down factories and then on top of that wipe people's investments enough before things start going off kilter.

squadr0n

So why is this a bad thing? I dont know enough about EU politics but I was under the impression this could only be a good thing for Brittan. Hey now Mark Millar doesnt have to move to Canada lol.

BahamutPT

What? This was a non-binding referendum.

That's UK non-binding. Not EU non-binding.
The Parliament may choose to not follow the results of the referendum (it seems they will anyway), but if this starts to drag, the EU can try to find some legal grounds to make the referendum results stand as official notification when it comes to the EU treaty (I don't think they will though).

Meguro

Banned
Considering that Art.50 is entirely untested there will absolutely be some wiggle room to interpret the referendum and its result as informing the EU of the intention to leave.
Also get the fuck outta here with the "When has the law ever mattered to the EU".

Biggzy

What a shit piece of news to wake up to this morning. I really do fear for this country, as it is lurching ever more to the right before our very eyes. Not only that, but when the people realise that migration has not been cut to nothing in the years to come, I fear they will look towards the far right parties.

Foffy

Banned
There is definitely a seriously major trend of anti-globalization going on pretty much everywhere. That 2008 financial crisis is the source of everything it seems. You can only outsource and close down factories and then on top of that wipe people's investments enough before things start going off kilter.

This will only continue until societies introduce measures to embrace this change.

Fighting it in the way we are is futile. Accept the trends, not hang on to halcyon days of what should be.

DrFurbs

How does leaving the EU prevent you from choosing where to live and pursuing the education and career that you want? The Swiss have this liberty just as much as you do, but they just have to exist within their means. Not to mention the UK also has to consistently contribute more than it's fair share to the EU, with free travel visas representing a very poor deal in return. If representing equality and moral superiority is worth bankrolling failed economies like Greece on your own dime, complaining about your own politicians taking advantage of this lack of accountability is comical.

Also, what is preventing the UK from defining a social platform on it's own terms? Has it been part of the EU for so long that it is now completely dependent on a committee in order to define a direction? Small thinking like that is what has lead the EU to this point, and why this referendum was even considered. It is irrationally presumptive to preach doom and gloom about an independent British economy, and comes off as tainted as right wing propaganda in itself. In addition, what is stopping the UK from adopting EU regularity standards on a per case basis? And imagine being able to tailor those regulations to actually align with local requirements. Former British colonies certainly have suffered greatly after gaining their independence too.

I completely agree with this.

Is this going to affect the US economy badly? I heard some people saying there could be another 2008 recession if this gets really bad. Hopefully they're full of shit

not at all. the us economy definitely has it's tentacles involved in parts of the uk economy, but not even close to it's own housing and loan market

unless someone who knows more than me about it wants to correct that of course

1nSfv0o.png

Bollocks

So I'm American and I know nothing about British politics.....someone explain to me why this is a bad thing.

despite consisting of several countries the EU is one big single marketplace, goods, jobs, tech, science, education, you name it.
with those deals nullified, GB needs to renegotiate EVERYTHING and no matter what, GB will be left with a worse deal than before. now there are non EU countries which have access(with restrictions) to that single big market but they pay a lot for that, GB will have to do the same and most likely will pay more than before and on top doesn't have any say anymore over EU politics as they are not a member anymore.

it is also bad for other eu nations as GB was always a reasonable voice against too much EU regulations, with that out the door, Germany and France can go ham and smaller countries will just have to suck it up.

there are a lot of eu citizens working in GB but also a lot of british people working throughout the EU, we don't know what will happen to them, as said earlier those deals don't apply anymore. jobs will be lost all because that referendum was done in order to secure reelection of a loosing david cameron where he promised to hold it once reelected to secure the votes of the far right.
he got reelected and initiated the referendum where noone believed this would happen, but it happened and they now have no plan.

the only possible saving grace is that unlike other referendums this one is not legally binding, meaning that if parliament doesn't act on it, that's totally fine.

what will happen remains to be seen, but it is a clusterfuck nonetheless

not at all. the us economy definitely has it's tentacles involved in parts of the uk economy, but not even close to it's own housing and loan market

unless someone who knows more than me about it wants to correct that of course
What if this starts a chain reaction and a bunch of other countries decide to leave the EU?

LoveCake

I didn't seek anything out of the vote personally for myself. At the end of the day I am one of those working class poor people that apparently hate and despise immigrants (I don't). I don't pay much attention to immigration it has very little bearing on my life.

It simply comes down to the fact that the UK wants one thing and the EU wants a completely different thing. The UK just wants to do it's thing, flog shit and be done with it. The EU wants further integration and to be more united. There is nothing wrong with what the UK want and there is nothing wrong with what the EU want. The only way both the UK and the EU can get what they want is for the UK to leave the EU. So I voted to leave the EU.

Now don't get me wrong I didn't vote leave lightly. This is all scaring the every loving shit out of me right now. We have been in the EU for 43 years and we are in uncharted territory and yes part of me really really would like things to be back to how they were the day before the referendum. But I honestly believe the UK leaving the EU is best for both us and them in the long term.

I think that this sums up a lot of the views of the people who voted 'Leave'.

Z3M0G

This feels like a worldwide lesson (for myself included) that when a vote comes, young people need to step up, get informed, and take part.

Someone raised a good point that while the majority who voted for "Leave" were from older generations, it was likely due to younger generations not even showing up to vote... so there is nobody to blame but themselves.

What if this starts a chain reaction and a bunch of other countries decide to leave the EU?

i still don't think so, at least as far as hurting it as bad as the 2008 recession

but there's people who know the ins and outs on here in great detail on here so hopefully they chime in, i'm curious as well

The EU is going to be making an example of the UK so that doesn't happen.

yeah, this is what i'm expecting

Zomba13

Still pissed off that Leave won.

:mad:

Really? You said you were going to vote leave and now you're pissed you got what you wanted? Or was it a "Oh, I didn't think it'd actually happen!" thing?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=208080400&highlight=#post208080400 said:
Even though I am voting leave, we all know deep down that we're not going anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom