• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

They still have freedom of movement, it will be a couple of years before any change happens and it most likely won't affect immigrants already settled in.
Plus I am betting my money on freedom of movement to stay despite it being a major factor in making the Leave camp win, simply due to the fact that if Britain want access to the EU market like Norway and Switzerland they have to accept free movement or else they don't get any access, EU isn't going to give them their cake and let them eat it too.
Really need free movement to get out of this shit hole hope you're right.

TheFatOne

All of these "I didn't know what I was voting for" ... you make time to vote, but don't take the time to understand exactly what you are voting for beforehand? I seriously cannot rationally understand this thought process. This isn't buying a toaster people.

Lack of education. It's why people vote against their own interests.

LJ11

All of these "I didn't know what I was voting for" ... you make time to vote, but don't take the time to understand exactly what you are voting for beforehand? I seriously cannot rationally understand this thought process. This isn't buying a toaster people.

That's because it's irrational.

Majukun

Can somebody explain to me how the UK is #TakingControl by removing its ability to have any say in European policy? This seems like doing the exact opposite? We still have to live and work with Europe but now we have no influence over any of it. Just because we voted Brexit didn't launch us out to sea away from the continent.

they want to dictate their domestic policy without intervention fro the EU

of course this also means they have no say in EU's policy either now

and people are conviced that they will found a "cordial agreement" with europe,they will put in place newcommercial agreements and everything will be fine and dandy

whwnever this will happen or not,is another matter entirely

But because it's helping other countries (and well, other people) it's like it's a negative and damn everything else.

Obviously the whole "paying for other countries" is a fallacy but the fact that it even has an effect is sad. How can we be an "unity" when that's a prevalent thought is sad.

Because there's an idea abroad that British people are the most hard-pressed, most unfairly worked, most exploited and most grievously oppressed folks about.

Witness: certain Leave voters.

Underestimating the power of the vote innit

kiguel182

There have been really interesting studies done on "them" vs "us" attitude. It's a very human trait which no other species has been shown to have.

A dog will never not think of another dog as anything but a dog.

Similarly for all other animals.

But when analyse the brain when people think about a class of other people that they have dehumanised, the same place lights up that does for all "non-humans", whereas non-dehumanised groups activate a completely different part of the brain.

Source: I read this in the New Scientist ages ago, so the details may be wrong, but it was something along these lines and very interesting.

Really? That's super interesting but it makes sense when you see how people treat other people that are outside of their country, their community or something like that.

It's one of the reasons the EU is failing a bit I think. The "they are taking from us" when we are all just human beings and trying to benefit all instead of a few should be the goal.

Don't forget, UK opinion polls and "experts" also said Remain was going to win comfortably, so don't always believe what media tells you when it comes to majority opinion!
Not really comparable. We have a presidential election every 4 years so there is infinitely more data to rely on it. This was the first vote of its kind for the UK.

Not saying your opinion is incorrect, but why did you vote for it? You are entitled to the second half of your response in which you state that you've never felt European, but it almost seems as if people with your rationale condemned the UK for....? What exactly did you seek out of it personally?

Thank you so much for the information; it's really helpful.

I didn't seek anything out of the vote personally for myself. At the end of the day I am one of those working class poor people that apparently hate and despise immigrants (I don't). I don't pay much attention to immigration it has very little bearing on my life.

It simply comes down to the fact that the UK wants one thing and the EU wants a completely different thing. The UK just wants to do it's thing, flog shit and be done with it. The EU wants further integration and to be more united. There is nothing wrong with what the UK want and there is nothing wrong with what the EU want. The only way both the UK and the EU can get what they want is for the UK to leave the EU. So I voted to leave the EU.

Now don't get me wrong I didn't vote leave lightly. This is all scaring the every loving shit out of me right now. We have been in the EU for 43 years and we are in uncharted territory and yes part of me really really would like things to be back to how they were the day before the referendum. But I honestly believe the UK leaving the EU is best for both us and them in the long term.

Arksy

Don't forget, UK opinion polls and "experts" also said Remain was going to win comfortably, so don't always believe what media tells you when it comes to majority opinion!

Polling companies in the UK have a history of being inaccurate though. Polling companies in the US have a history of being very accurate. Mainly because, as I understand it, the system in the UK is more difficult to predict for a number of reasons.

PJV3

oWdcS0V.gif

We have the Democracy bug now, she should be worried.

Cocaloch

Funny. The kind of demonstrably pious - let's rise above it (aka eh chaps what a bunch of hypocritical lefty wankers) - attitude on display here is getting equally familiar.

There's plenty of dumb to go around (leave/remain/space) but I wouldn't want to rob anyone from camp leave of the chance to make blanket statements about other people making blanket statements.

The political reality is always more nuanced but honestly I really feel like attaching some kind of tacky second rate Road to Wigan Pier reasoning as to why certain demo's voted how they did is intellectually dishonest.

Most legitimate immigration concerns are a result of successive government mismanagement and migrants from cultures outside the EU. Regardless everyone's a bloody expert so what do I know.

I love how this seems to be GAF's new take on any sort of nuanced argument. Yup anyone who wants to make a deeper than superficial examination is just an asshole above it all.

It's ridiculous that in a campaign where the EU's lack of democratization was an issue that we have people, including some in this very thread, advocate for parliament overturning a plebiscite. Do people really not see how attitudes like this might be part of the problem?

For the record I was for Remain.

kiguel182

Because there's an idea abroad that British people are the most hard-pressed, most unfairly worked, most exploited and most grievously oppressed folks about.

Witness: certain Leave voters.

A lot of EU countries think that. And it's baffling. Everybody works hard in every country.

Like, we are all the same in the end and go to our jobs and all of that.

The idea that some countries leech of the others is, on a human level, ridiculous. Hating other people or wanting them to get fucked for that is sad.

But when things go bad unfortunately blaming foreigners or other countries is always the first step. Today that mentality won. Let's hope it doesn't win again.

Carl2291

I like how Carl's post begins with "This isn't about xenophobia" and then includes a mention of "communities decimated by other cultures." :lol

Is it really so incredibly mind-blowing that working-class whites are afraid of, and have a lot of anger and antipathy focused at, non-white immigrants?

Xenophobia exists. It's extremely prevalent. Trying to downplay it seems like exactly the kind of head-in-sand dismissal you're arguing against.
Of course it isn't mind blowing to believe that, but you're deliberately ignoring the communities with a lot of black and Asian people that voted Leave in big numbers. Birmingham. Bradford. Bolton. Nottingham. Barking and Dagenham. Blackburn. I could name more...

This isn't a white people vs brown people thing at all. It's time people like you dropped that stance.

My prediction for the future:
GB will lose Scotland and Northern Ireland, hundreds of thousands of jobs and will enter a recession of pretty epic proportions at the end of which they will have to deal with a significantly reduced standard of living on average.
In about ten years they will re-enter the EU.

kiguel182

I didn't seek anything out of the vote personally for myself. At the end of the day I am one of those working class poor people that apparently hate and despise immigrants (I don't). I don't pay much attention to immigration it has very little bearing on my life.

It simply comes down to the fact that the UK wants one thing and the EU wants a completely different thing. The UK just wants to do it's thing, flog shit and be done with it. The EU wants further integration and to be more united. There is nothing wrong with what the UK want and there is nothing wrong with what the EU want. The only way both the UK and the EU can get what they want is for the UK to leave the EU. So I voted to leave the EU.

Now don't get me wrong I didn't vote leave lightly. This is all scaring the every loving shit out of me right now. We have been in the EU for 43 years and we are in uncharted territory and yes part of me really really would like things to be back to how they were the day before the referendum. But I honestly believe the UK leaving the EU is best for both us and them in the long term.

I feel like you make a very compelling argument for the UK not being in the EU even if I do disagree, but I'm not from the UK. Unfortunately it wasn't the reason most people voted like that.

Beefy

My prediction for the future:
GB will lose Scotland and Northern Ireland, hundreds of thousands of jobs and will enter a recession of pretty epic proportions at the end of which they will have to deal with a significantly reduced standard of living on average.
In about ten years they will re-enter the EU.

EU won't be there to rejoin.

Err what? Could you please not put words into my mouth?
Also 2 things here:
One: The EU's influence on domestic affairs was minimal at best. Yes, they have brought economic regulations, but most of those regulations or very similar ones were already in effect anyway. And then there's the social-politic regulations which are by far more on the liberal side. The EU stands for equality, anti-discrimination, and freedom of thought and expression.
Two: The UK had plenty of influence on these regulations. They just weren't the ONLY people who got to decide them. And to top it off, the UK didn't even have to adhere to many of those regulations anyway.

Also yes: Having the personal freedom to choose where I live and what education or career I pursue is liberty.
Having my personal liberties clipped left and right and, in the worst case scenario, having to finance a failing country with my own small income while the Farages and Borises and Camerons laugh and squeeze the last few pennies out of the economy for their own enrichment, in my opinion, not a very liberating existence.

How does leaving the EU prevent you from choosing where to live and pursuing the education and career that you want? The Swiss have this liberty just as much as you do, but they just have to exist within their means. Not to mention the UK also has to consistently contribute more than it's fair share to the EU, with free travel visas representing a very poor deal in return. If representing equality and moral superiority is worth bankrolling failed economies like Greece on your own dime, complaining about your own politicians taking advantage of this lack of accountability is comical.

Also, what is preventing the UK from defining a social platform on it's own terms? Has it been part of the EU for so long that it is now completely dependent on a committee in order to define a direction? Small thinking like that is what has lead the EU to this point, and why this referendum was even considered. It is irrationally presumptive to preach doom and gloom about an independent British economy, and comes off as tainted as right wing propaganda in itself. In addition, what is stopping the UK from adopting EU regularity standards on a per case basis? And imagine being able to tailor those regulations to actually align with local requirements. Former British colonies certainly have suffered greatly after gaining their independence too.

Of course it isn't mind blowing to believe that, but you're deliberately ignoring the communities with a lot of black and Asian people that voted Leave in big numbers. Birmingham. Bradford. Bolton. Nottingham. Barking and Dagenham. Blackburn. I could name more...

This isn't a white people vs brown people thing at all. It's time people like you dropped that stance.

Tbf I don't think that's what the point has been. The point has been more contempt at people going 'urgh, foreigners!', irrespective of skin colour. Nobody was suggesting Lincolnshire had been overrun with Indians, and look at the voting there...

Xenex

I haven't been able to shake this empty feeling all day, as as today I will be forever ashamed to be Englishman.

EDIT: I was also against the Scottish referendum in 2014, I'm now rooting for them.

jelly

My friend just said six of her colleagues will be let go and one on a placement who has an interview for a permanent job offer got told it won't be available anymore. Aviation engineering industry. What a kick in the nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom