• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl2291

Dictatorship? lol

I'm not surprised at all. If there is another european country as xenophobic as the UK that is France. Their sense of superiority is really something,
Hahaha that's right. Straight to it.

Someone doesn't like the EU, the first order of the day is to shout xenophobia.

Jesus fucking Christ. It's like you've literally learned fuck all from this referendum. Stop calling people names for having different opinions.

guit3457

Euro is crap, prices have been multiplied by 10 in 10 years, it's preventing our firms from being competitive on the international siege, I needn't even expend on that.How can you even adjust your economy when you can't even control your own currency ?

France is a far cry from Greece and yet we share the same currency which is a fucking nonsense and we have to bail them every fucking year for the sake of this false idol.

Regarding Immigrations and border : Most terrorists from the November attacks came from Belgium and took advantage of the no border policy to commit those terrors,let alone the thousand of refugees and illegals that have been flooding the past year.

I don't want some extra-national organization dictating the way my country or my politicians should be have : Vive la France et vive le Roi.

LoL coming from a french this is really something

oti

Banned
A position in which it was subservient to an unaccountable, bloated bureaucracy? Where bailing out weaker members is the norm? The UK will simply have to learn to stand on it's own, and considering that it was the economic power of the world one century ago, it should have no problem landing on it's feet.

You do know we live in the year 2016, right?

Foffy

Banned
Just spoke to my parents. Both leave voters, both over 60. They're delighted because they think the immigrant hordes have been stopped and the NHS will have more money now. Had to bite my tongue, no point in arguing over it now.

Show them the video where one of the guys behind Leave backpedaled the NHS option hours after it passed.

Let them realize they were bamboozled.

geordiemp

Look I know that Juncker, Schultz and Tusk are probably fuming right now, and that there are plenty of European citizens licking their lips at the idea of the UK "being made an example", but they're all going to have to sit their arses back down and wait. Nothing is going to happen for a while.

And these guys dont make the big decisions anyway, thats Merkel and probably France. The rest can huff and puff all they want...so what ?

system11

Lib Dems, who are also dead because they fucked students.

They got a significantly rough deal from their ex supporters. They used a minority vote to get some of their policies through and block others (people forget this so easily) by forming a coalition government,

Their supporters were angry with having been given more of a democratic voice than they otherwise would, and punished them for it.

Logic. How does it work? I voted for them again /because/ they'd done a good job in coalition.

Methinks Xenophobia and racism played a part in b this decision.

I'm french with African roots and would glady leave the EU in a heartbeat : Does that make an ignorant racist xenophobic bigot ?

Things are not that simple : I bet you wouldn't said the same if some kind of obscur organization was dictating every do's and don'ts of your country beyond what the people has voted and elected people for.

Euro is crap, prices have been multiplied by 10 in 10 years, it's preventing our firms from being competitive on the international siege, I needn't even expend on that.How can you even adjust your economy when you can't even control your own currency ?

France is a far cry from Greece and yet we share the same currency which is a fucking nonsense and we have to bail them every fucking year for the sake of this false idol.

Regarding Immigrations and border : Most terrorists from the November attacks came from Belgium and took advantage of the no border policy to commit those terrors,let alone the thousand of refugees and illegals that have been flooding the past year.

I don't want some extra-national organization dictating the way my country or my politicians should be have : Vive la France et vive le Roi.

OK, thank you for your perspective. I know it's a complex situation and I'm trying to get a better understanding of all angles. It's interesting to watch this from an American perspective since we have Trump and the situations echo each other in certain ways.

But the 9 % is a bigger number than the 57 %

Listen, I'm not the most super knowledgeable guy, but this sounds like some hot baloney to me. What does this have to do with anything? The fact of the matter is that the EU is the second biggest economy in the world, and they vote as a bloc. The UK is now entirely on its own. The UK is dependent on its income from the EU. The EU on the other and, not so much, bigger number or not. From where I'm sitting, I doubt the UK has as much bargaining power as you're implying it having.

How so? The UK has never been in the Eurozone monetarily, and my impression is that London grew in importance largely off the back of English being the most widely used language of finance and big business.

They were part of the bloc that negotiated trade deals, though. From effectively biggest or second biggest economy, to what? Tenth? That's a LOT of negotiatory power lost.

What... ??? Utilise ta tête plutôt que d'écouter les conneries du FN...
Agreed

Forgive my possibly ignorant American perspective: Who is the dictator? Did the EU dictate (maybe that's the dictatorship you're referencing) how the various countries' borders and immigration policies work? And, last but not least, how did the Euro currency fuck stuff up?

In all sincerity I'm unaware of how the EU was an invasive thing.

There is no dictatorship, the french right wing movement, the FN is always attacking "l'europe" as a scapegoat. They also believe that going from "the franc" the french money to the euro led to a rise of 40% of the prices when everyone know that the price have gone up thanks to other factors. ( every study done in france have proven this so far )

in short , that's nonsense

How so? The UK has never been in the Eurozone monetarily, and my impression is that London grew in importance largely off the back of English being the most widely used language of finance and big business.
The EMU isn't such a great issue - the advantage that we had in being in the free market was huge.

Supposedly 60% of non EU companies have their EU headquarters in the UK. This will end up hurting us a lot.

Aren't the financial sector and research/R&D big industries for the UK? Even if new trade deals get sorted out and they're broadly similar to the deals they had before, how can those industries recover since they're so tied into the EU?

Hasney

They got a significantly rough deal from their ex supporters. They used a minority vote to get some of their policies through and block others (people forget this so easily) by forming a coalition government,

Their supporters were angry with having been given more of a democratic voice than they otherwise would, and punished them for it.

Logic. How does it work? I voted for them again /because/ they'd done a good job in coalition.

I agree with this. If we've learned anything from this year of a Tory majority, it's fairly clear that the Lib Dems were actually doing something right to stop the worst shit getting passed.

Goddamn.

dealer-

Anyone watching channel 4 news? Asking ppl why they voted leave - "stop Muslims coming here", "get all foreigners out". Can't help but feel most people who voted leave did so because of some nostalgic desire for an all white England.

Heard about an Asian woman copping abuse from an elderly man in a supermarket on the radio today. He said "we've got our country back and now we can get ppl like you out". It's fucked up. It really is all about foreigners for leavers.

Everything I've seen on the news today from leave voters has been the same. I haven't heard any rational, well-thought out reasons sadly just talk about "getting our England back".

kiguel182

This is what's wrong with the EU right now. You are talking about Greece like there aren't actual people living there.

"We are so much better than them". Fucking infuriating.

In a speech, President Obama just emphasized that the EU remains a valuable partner to the US. It is important to note what he did not say.

Under a presumed Clinton administration, it is safe to assume that any trade negotiations between the US and whatever is left of the UK will take a backseat to US-EU agreements.

So any dreams the Leave side might have had that their trans-Atlantic cousins would naturally jump in and give this a big hug should die right now. The American foreign policy establishment is very displeased with this and will act accordingly.

UK has recently been cozying up with China. Don't think this will be a huge deal.

theaface

Nobody knows if it will be a better or worse deal. True, now we are being truthful.

Come on mate. We DO know that the UK will not be getting a better deal than it had within the EU. There's not a single realistic reason why we'd be able to have our cake and eat it too.

guit3457

Hahaha that's right. Straight to it.

Someone doesn't like the EU, the first order of the day is to shout xenophobia.

Jesus fucking Christ. It's like you've literally learned fuck all from this referendum. Stop calling people names for having different opinions.

Dude, those all are FN arguments. Le Pen father would be proud of him

Uzzy

A general election where an MP stands on the platform of staying in the EU is definitely more of a mandate than a referendum, and I am positive we will have a general election before article 50's two years are up.

Sure, we could just have continual votes on the matter, through referenda and general elections, until we arrive at the correct decision.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
A position in which it was subservient to an unaccountable, bloated bureaucracy? Where bailing out weaker members is the norm? The UK will simply have to learn to stand on it's own, and considering that it was the economic power of the world one century ago, it should have no problem landing on it's feet.

The UK actually joined the EC in 1973 because it was trailing behind economically...

dalin80

Banned
Labour are a fucking shambles right now. They've got no real leadership contenders and anyone that replaces Corbyn will like move back towards the right and their party is already fractured both due to Corbyn and the Labour MP's wanting out.

If a snap GE was called right now, I could see them losing seats.

Congrats on putting the smile on Boris and Farage instead. Labour are really going to need to work for my vote once Corbyn goes after this shitshow.

Labour have been unelectable since the day they put the wrong Milliband in charge, just give me a reason to vote for you over the tories, it shouldn't be that fucking hard!

I'm french with African roots and would glady leave the EU in a heartbeat : Does that make an ignorant racist xenophobic bigot ?

Things are not that simple : I bet you wouldn't said the same if some kind of obscur organization was dictating every do's and don'ts of your country beyond what the people has voted and elected people for.

The EU has huge problems, but:

Have you ever voted in EU parliamentary elections?

PKrockin

Just spoke to my parents. Both leave voters, both over 60. They're delighted because they think the immigrant hordes have been stopped and the NHS will have more money now. Had to bite my tongue, no point in arguing over it now.
I'm confused about this angle. Presumably you have a lot of boomers retiring or coming up on retirement. How is stopping the flow of young immigrant workers going to help that? The NHS isn't free to non-citizens as far as I know. What's the logic here?

IvorB

As was said before, if Germany offers UK a better deal outside the EU than inside they might as well end the EU because there's no point in being there.

There's no reason for them to do it and if they do they are idiots.

I hope Merkel rains fire on this country. Give the Brexiteers what they want.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Donc "fraternité" n'est pas une fraternité des hommes, mais seulment une fraternité des Français? Je ne suis pas convaincu. Nous sommes tous un. Liberté pour tous; equalité pour tous; fraternité pour tous. Vive la France, vive une Europe unie, et vive la paix entre les hommes.

Nous sommes un forum international--un témoignage parmi tous les autres á la valeur de fraternité et de l'unité.

Don't bite your tongue, tell them what their vote means.

I did leading up to the vote. It did no good at all. They didn't care about any issue other than stopping immigrants from flooding and overloading our system (welfare, nhs) That was the single perceived issue that made them vote the way they did. It's frustrating but it was their vote.

Merkel will have to bring down fire and lightning on the UK, or at least appear to, otherwise showing how easy and potentially even beneficial leaving the EU is would make her weak against our own party of EU haters, the rightwing populist AfD party.

We won't give you candy for behaving like spoiled kids. The UK threatened to leave the EU for so long to get their way, no way that'll work after actually picking the ball up and turning around. UK isn't Europe's special snowflake overlord.

That is exactly the type of action hated by people who want to leave the EU will only enbolden them.

Hasney

Labour have been unelectable since the day they put the wrong Milliband, just give me a reason to vote for you over the tories, it shouldn't be that fucking hard!

While I agree that it was the wrong Milliband, it really wasn't hard to vote for that Labour over the Tories still!

With the names being put around to replace Corbyn should he go (likely) and this whole referendum has made me think that maybe it will be harder to vote for them next time. Not the Tories either way ;)

This is what's wrong with the EU right now. You are talking about Greece like there aren't actual people living there.

"We are so much better than them". Fucking infuriating.

Have nothing against Greeks even they should never have been part of the Euro consortium, they knew damn well they could not.

If they had the guts to do the same things as the British a few years ago maybe things would have been better now : As soon as Papandreou proposed a referendum, the EU threathened them : So much about democracy...

Alx

Regarding Immigrations and border : Most terrorists from the November attacks came from Belgium and took advantage of the no border policy to commit those terrors

That's just a silly argument, terrorists cross external and internal borders all the time without any trouble, and that's not because of Europe, that's because we're at peace and controls are light. It's not like old border controls would have solved the issue. Heck, Abdeslam was controlled the day after the attacks and let go, while everybody was on high alert and looking for him.
If anything, the best counter-measures against terrorism would come from more cooperation between countries. You would have had more chances to prevent the Paris attacks with a better cooperation between Belgian and French intelligence, rather than pretending to control all cars crossing the border all year long.

geordiemp

I feel it is immoral that 73 UK MEPs plan on drawing 14 million Euro of salary from hard-working European tax payers. The chamber should expel them without pay or else they should resign and refuse to accept pay. Anyone who doesn't is a self-serving welfare leech.

If you have ever looked around brussels, that gravy train is everything thats wrong with Europe and its gross. It maybe not be the butter or milk mountain, but it needs changing.

I did not really want to leave, but I want to change the way Brussels is set up as its just gross. Maybe vote leave is the only way to change.

azyless

Dude, those all are FN arguments. Le Pen father would be proud of him
Nah mate, don't you know voting similarly to far right groups while using the same arguments doesn't make you xenophobic.
Plus, he has "african origins". Probably has a black friend too.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Anyone watching channel 4 news? Asking ppl why they voted leave - "stop Muslims coming here", "get all foreigners out". Can't help but feel most people who voted leave did so because of some nostalgic desire for an all white England.

Heard about an Asian woman copping abuse from an elderly man in a supermarket on the radio today. He said "we've got our country back and now we can get ppl like you out". It's fucked up. It really is all about foreigners for leavers.

Shit like this is a big reason we're so afraid of Trump winning here in the US. Many claim it wouldn't make a real difference, the broken government would stay the same and Trump would be "moderate". But aside from the Supreme Court damage, there would also be a nation full of nationalistic bigots taking it as their go-sign to attack everyone who isn't white. And this country is sick on guns.

Just as one example, my companies EU headquarters is in London because its English speaking and falls under EU data privacy regulations. Presumably the second won't apply in a couple of years, so we're going to have move jobs to Amsterdam and, its rumored, open an office in Prague. We're only talking 100 - 200 jobs but go across the IT sector its thousands of high-paying jobs leaving. I'm sure other industries will have similar challenges.

Maledict

Sure, we could just have continual votes on the matter, through referenda and general elections, until we arrive at the correct decision.

Yes? I don't think we should have another referendum, but if my local MP is elected on a platform that includes not leaving the EU then they should vote for that in parliament?

Hasney

If you have ever looked around brussels, that gravy train is everything thats wrong with Europe and its gross. It maybe not be the butter or milk mountain, but it needs changing.

I did not really want to leave, but I want to change the way Brussels is set up as its just gross. Maybe vote leave is the only way to change.

Surely it has to be a well paid position though, because you want the best people possible in those positions? If it was just an average paying job, the brightest would just go elsewhere.

Nafai1123

Banned
Aren't the financial sector and research/R&D big industries for the UK? Even if new trade deals get sorted out and they're broadly similar to the deals they had before, how can those industries recover since they're so tied into the EU?

This is what I was wondering too. Financial services are a huge part of UK exports.

Foffy

Banned
Shit like this is a big reason we're so afraid of Trump winning here in the US. Many claim it wouldn't make a real difference, the broken government would stay the same and Trump would be "moderate". But aside from the Supreme Court damage, there would also be a nation full of nationalistic bigots taking it as their go-sign to attack everyone who isn't white. And this country is sick on guns.

They will turn those of color red. :(

Unreason seems to be the virus of 2016.

The UK was attractive because many companies could use the money that was better than euro while being in a territory that was in the EU and invest massively as a result.

With that advantage gone , other places might be more attractive

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

I never spoke to my mother today as this is the exact bullshit she believes. Normally after one or two glasses of wine. I've tried reasoning with her but she's dug in. It depresses me to no end. It's absolutely tragic.

My dad, bless his heart, believes that people of their age (over 65) don't have the right to make these decisions that the younger generations will have to deal with. So he voted remain to cancel out my mum's vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom