• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

You're assuming future uk governments will choose to disperse the money in the exact same areas/quantities. I trust Westminster less than I trust Brussels in this instance...

Yup, Cornwall and Wales are having a laugh, including the Northwest of England if they're getting jack from Westminster.

All the money for the next decade will need to be pumped into London to save our economy.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
That's like losing a game, then protesting that the rules didn't work in your favor so you need a re-do with new rules. Sorry, just take the L ( Or W if you were a Brexiter ) and move on UK

I was sharing it because someone asked, don't actually believe it'll change anything. :p (maybe make Cameron a bit happier, poor sod needs it)

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
as someone who lives in the town resentment for the south is pretty high with more and more cuts here. Losing the hosipital, police cuts i knew straight away the town would vote for leave

They were affected by cuts, cuts and more cuts, so they voted for even more cuts?

geordiemp

Sure but I like our chances with finding new trading partners.

Yeah, there is albania, Crotatia, Boznia, Kosovo and macedonia, serbia and turkey to join as members.

Some in UK thought EU was out of control and trying too hard to include too divergent levels of economies.......I guess we will find out probably sooner rather than later.

Sometimes you look at the troubled waters EU is steering and makes me not so sure and makes Greece look not so much an issue....

You're assuming future uk governments will choose to disperse the money in the exact same areas/quantities. I trust Westminster less than I trust Brussels in this instance...

Oh I agree, but that is a different discussion. There is the welsh assembly. Cornwall has already made a claim lol

SuperSah

Banned
I'm a British born and raised mixed race individual, but for some reason this decision feels like a cloud of hatred is hanging above me.

I just don't feel comfortable anymore.

Because being in total control of our own affairs and everything to do with our country is worth the initial economic hit of doing so in my opinion.

Quite frankly, in my opinion, the sky isn't falling and even if it does, in the long term it will be worth it.

When we joined the EU it was as a trade agreement between the countries. Not the United States of Europe which it has become, where dictation from unelected officials in Brussels is allowed.

As a side note, Britain was never 100% invested in the EU like the other members anyway.
This is my feeling too, I don't know if it's a guaranteed success, it might very well be more risky than stay, but hell at least the country becomes fully responsible for its own destiny.
Countries in nafta and ASEAN don't surrender their sovereign powers to external laws and seem to manage quite well. Is the UK so sick that it needs the EU to prop it up?

Oh and the fact the the likes of Obama and Merkel and all of the Celebrities etc have the audacity to tell everyone what to do?

That Obama comes over here and threatens us, that the EU threatened us if we left etc,

Yeah...no... Fuck off.

Yeah if they ever get around to sorting out their frankly fucking crackpot gun laws, we should send Boris over to preach to them about how if they don't change, more people will die. That should go down well with middle America. Obama should have kept his fucking beak out.

Bobnob

I'm sure you have statistics to back up that immigrants use fake qualifications at a higher rate than non-immigrants.

And I don't even want to know what you mean by 'so called "qualifications"'
No i don't and i'm not about to go looking but i have seen it, my wife works in the care industry and as told me on many occasion about people turning up not knowing what to do. I myself was on a SIA Security course were the none english speakers were given answers (cant remember if a fee was involved).If you think i'm pulling that out of my arse then thats up to you pal.

Yup, Cornwall and Wales are having a laugh, including the Northwest of England if they're getting jack from Westminster.

All the money for the next decade will need to be pumped into London to save our economy.

At a time of austerity, which apparently the electorate bought, I guess it was presumed we'd pump billions into regional infrastructure projects to replace the EU?

Lolz.

This is my feeling too, I don't know if it's a guaranteed success, it might very well be more risky than stay, but hell at least the country becomes fully responsible for its own destiny.
Countries in nafta and ASEAN don't surrender their sovereign powers to external laws and seem to manage quite well. Is the UK so sick that it needs the EU to prop it up?

This is so simplistic. It's already responsible for its own destiny, as evidenced by the fact, not the result of the referendum. Sovereign powers are always negotiated and traded, and will be no less in whatever world we find for Britain now. The pretence that we were dominated by an EU superstate to the point of having no self-government is simply not the reality. Yeah, the EU has some really shit elements, but straight up lying about it is shit too.

Oh and the fact the the likes of Obama and Merkel and all of the Celebrities etc have the audacity to tell everyone what to do?

That Obama comes over here and threatens us, that the EU threatened us if we left etc,

Yeah...no... Fuck off.

Is not a threat, is a reality.

The whole EU project relies in the fact that countries united in economic terms are stronger and have a bigger bargain in trading negotations. When you are alone, that bargain is lost.

Is about money, EU is a much bigger and important market that requires full attention unlike UK alone. No one told you what you had to do, just to be aware of the consequences of your vote.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I'm a British born and raised mixed race individual, but for some reason this decision feels like a cloud of hatred is hanging above me.

I just don't feel comfortable anymore.

I'll be frank with you, nothing indicates you should. There is a sizeable portion of the population that should make you feel uncomfortable.

TimmmV

I'm half German, but lived in UK my entire life. Have never felt less British and less welcome than today, it's depressing as hell. Don't want to leave because this is my home, but at the moment am not seeing much of a future here for my family or my gf (shes Spanish)

It's petty but am now really hoping Northern Ireland/Iceland tear Wales/England a new one in the football next week (as well as all the other bad stuff thats now going to happen). Closed minded twats.

"Dilution of British identity" was what it boiled down to.

That still isn't a racist sentiment.

That said, by and large, pretty much all the Polish immigrants I've met have made efforts to integrate into the broader community and learn to speak English well.

Maybe he is concerned his child's development or education will be harmed in some way? That's the sort of concern parents have, even if they sometimes prove to be unfounded.

The whole EU project relies in the fact that countries united in economic terms are stronger and have a bigger bargain in trading negotations. When you are alone, that bargain is lost.

Is about money, EU is a much bigger and important market that requires full attention unlike UK alone. No one told you what you had to do, just to be aware of the consequences of your vote.

No it's the interfering twat trying to tell us what to do. Or at least, that's how a lot of people interpreted his ill timed intervention.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What does this mean? Is it bad?

Yes. Turkey's economic association with the EU is a customs union, excepting essential economic areas such as agriculture, services and public procurement. The UK is mostly a service economy, and it mostly sells to Europe; hence excepting those is tantamount to just treating the UK like an unrelated country. This isn't even the Norway model, this is the hard ball.

What I love most about this whole thing is that everyone and his fucking dog is now a chief economist.

The vote was 52/48, but the real economists were pretty much unanimous that leaving would devastate the UK economy. Now, after the fact, the ones in the UK have to tone it done because the majority will just change the channel anyway.

No you're not. You didn't fight alongside our airmen in the Battle of Britain.

You didn't battle communism in the 1970s and 1980s and eventually defeat them through Solidarnosc.

Your Pope didn't bring together young people from around the world.

My wife is Polish and she is in shock. I've never seen her so sad.

It's disgusting, disgraceful and l am ashamed to be British.

Proud to be European.

Of course it's incredibly anecdotal but I know a lot of Polish families and they are hardworking, humble and incredibly willing to integrate(my parents even completely assimilated and didn't speak one word of Polish at home). This kind of anti-Polish sentiment truly hits close to home.

WinterX

Banned
What does this mean? Is it bad?
Means they simply don't get it. They think the problem is connected with the UK, not the EU. It won't reform itself in the nearest future. They don't have balls.

I wonder what will happen with all those European PM. Will they get some extra money if they lose their jobs? :)

geordiemp

There is a danger of tit for tat revenge here, can you imagine countries start boycotting others products because of all this spite and anger. I cannot see this ending well.

If the UK thinks their "Special Relationship" with the US will help get good trade compared to the EU they are in for a rude awakening.

What is it with all the chest pounding going on.

SuperSah

Banned
Yes. Turkey's economic association with the EU is a customs union, excepting essential economic areas such as agriculture, services and public procurement. The UK is mostly a service economy, and it mostly sells to Europe; hence excepting those is tantamount to just treating the UK like an unrelated country. This isn't even the Norway model, this is the hard ball.

Sorry, I don't really understand. Could you explain it in the way you would for someone voting Leave for immigration?

Seriously, can you explain in laymen terms?

EDIT: above helped a bit more

Steel

Banned
said we'd go to the back of the line if we left the EU. Didn't go down very well.

said today that we're still cool though. Who knows.

He said before that the special relationship of the U.S. and UK would remain. But said that the U.K. would naturally be at the back of the line for trade deals due to its much smaller size relative to the EU.

Said again that the special relationship is still cool.

No contradiction.

Crumpo

That still isn't a racist sentiment.

That said, by and large, pretty much all the Polish immigrants I've met have made efforts to integrate into the broader community and learn to speak English well.

Maybe he is concerned his child's development or education will be harmed in some way? That's the sort of concern parents have, even if they sometimes prove to be unfounded.

It depends on your definition of "British Identity". If it's a fixed quantity then you are basically telling people to eat fish and chips or gtfo. I personally feel that muticulturalism has shaped our identity, for the better.

Not sure how other students can affect your own's studies-it's individual merit. But I didn't ask that question

Lead

Banned
LoL at the voters having 'buyer's remorse' today now demanding for a redo
That's not common, nor do we even know for a fact this is the case.

I have a feeling a lot of these "stories" are from people voting to remain that basically wanna do and say anything at all to get a revote. Not going to happen sugar.

Audioboxer

I'm half German, but lived in UK my entire life. Have never felt less British and less welcome than today, it's depressing as hell. Don't want to leave because this is my home, but at the moment am not seeing much of a future here for my family or my gf (shes Spanish)

It's petty but am now really hoping Northern Ireland/Iceland tear Wales/England a new one in the football next week (as well as all the other bad stuff thats now going to happen). Closed minded twats.

Come up North! We love the Germans, especially when they spank England at football :p

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
He said before that the special relationship of the U.S. and UK would remain. But said that the U.K. would naturally be at the back of the line for trade deals due to its much smaller size relative to the EU.

Said again that the special relationship is still cool.

No contradiction.

well little did he know we love waiting in a queue.

Unless people have already started chasing you up the street threatening to throw you out I think you are being a bit knee-jerky and silly.
I'm sure both of you will find your friends will still be your friends and I'm sure your colleagues will still work with you.

Can you see the irony of calling a whole nation closed minded twats?

There is a danger of tit for tat revenge here, can you imagine countries start boycotting others products because of all this spite and anger.

I cannot see this ending well.

You are clearly mistaken if you think that whatever deal EU makes with UK in terms of tradings comes from revenge. Is all politics and money.

Unlike how people in the UK voted yesterday, EU will act in a rational way. If that ends being bad for UK, well, is what you decided. But it won't be out of revenge.

pigeon

Banned
Damn. Although this could also be partly rhetoric to silence other anti-EU voices for now.

This is international diplomacy. Rhetoric and action are the same thing. If they want to stem the tide, it's not enough to talk about how bad the deal is going to be. They need to actually offer you a really bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom