• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

Hopefully going to France on holiday soon. When I am there I am worried any French people (besides my fanoly) I see will hate me .. Feels bad man

Working with many Europeans here, had the opposite. People shell shocked and sad. Had to comfort quite a few colleagues who came to work at 3am in tears, their careers and plans uncertain.

London feels odd right now.

Dascu

Some of them will, some of them won't. Certainly, we will still be contributing to the EU budget during this period.

It would be undemocratic. And that's more important than money, no?

Again, I'm not sure if they can be expelled. But it would be completely justified for the rest of the Parliament to ignore and shun them.

Feel bad for my friends at the Parliament though. Staffers and trainees working with British MEPs. Awful situation either way.

PJV3

Cameron insisted no work has been done on an exit strategy, if it has been done then it should be released pronto.

Placing any faith in these plonkers is a bit much at the moment.

There is a pretty huge change that a non-Brexiter will be elected PM over Boris.

If Boris claims he'll enact article 50, he loses. You can't run that referendum twice, but that is essentially what the next election will be, and people will come out massively against an exit, and the pro-Brexiters will be staying home in large numbers.

The Conservatives won the election on the back of the referendum promise.

We already have voted twice effectively.

It's not leave trying to circumvent written treaties.
What is being circumvented? Once the UK says they are out to the EU, it begins. It should notify the EU, that's it. Once Cameron tells the others "this is the result of the referendum and the UK government plans to follow that result" the process should start.

1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

4. For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.

A qualified majority shall be defined in accordance with Article 238(3)(b) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

5. If a State which has withdrawn from the Union asks to rejoin, its request shall be subject to the procedure referred to in Article 49.

Feorax

He'll be as good as gone on Monday, though they have as big a problem as the Tories as to who will lead them next

There aren't really many good candidates, but I'd have preferred Burnham got it over Corbyn last time out. At the very least Burnham has a proven track record of putting up a decent fight.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wouldn't write Boris off that quickly. I've been giving some thought to the political fallout and will post at more length, probably tomorrow, but I don't think it will be all that easy to put someone else in.

If he wins he won't be enacting article 50, he'll hope that the EU will somehow kick out the UK by then or does so as he delays things further. Heck, he might use that as a sort of thread for negotiations, leaving "uncertainty" in place.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just pretend you're Scottish.

My wife cannot understand a the Scottish accent. I'll just say I'm Scottish... In a bad accent .

Might have some Irish ancestry don't know .

Have to concentrate on now for now , one day at a time . Feeling like I am having anxiety all day. Can't stop picturing the worse and bad things happening to me my family I'm sorry I feel like crying. Just feel numb with that fuzzy got feeling all the time

cilonen

I certainly can't claim that these people represent everyone but there is palpable anger. One of the MD's talked about how his wife dropped the kids off at school and had to contend with friends openly weeping since they did not know if they had to leave, some had already been told to go to NY, or the continent. These are all solidly Tory voters. They are beyond furious.

The Labour Party is such a shit show right now that it is unable to take advantage. Hopefully Corbyn is binned next week.

On a more personal note, the last 48hrs have felt like a funeral. Consoling friends and family, some legitametly worried about their homes. Others whose jobs depend on research grants and EU funding. Many of them wondering what it means for their relationships, would couples be forced apart etc.

I feel for you, man, and I agree it's lamentable that there is no credible alternative from Labour.

I don't work in the sector but I work for a non-UK company and none of us know how they're going to react TBH.

kadotsu

Banned
We know that JC didn't eat pork, but it's still an unanswered question whether David Cameron ever has.

eating-cam-2006_3258101k.jpg

Here's him eating pork. Must have been a weird feeling. Role reversal and all.

kharma45

Again, I'm not sure if they can be expelled. But it would be completely justified for the rest of the Parliament to ignore and shun them.

Feel bad for my friends at the Parliament though. Staffers and trainees working with British MEPs. Awful situation either way.

What would be undemocratic would be ousting UK MEPs

So is Boris the guaranteed new PM?

No

Alx

What is being circumvented? Once the UK says they are out to the EU, it begins. It should notify the EU, that's it. Once Cameron tells the others "this is the result of the referendum and the UK government plans to follow that result" the process should start.

I guess Cameron will have to choose his words carefully whenever he's talking to EU officials... even if it's nitpicking from lawyers, he wouldn't want to give them material that could be interpreted as an official declaration of intent.

Tyaren

I hope The EU have some mercy on us and give us the Norway deal as a form of punishment

For remain voters that won't be so bad. Hardly anything will change for them in that case. They are practically still with the EU just not in name.
But how will the Leave voters swallow this bitter pill? The UK will still pay into the EU, there will still be free movement of people, they will still have to adhere to EU laws and regulations but they can't even take part in making these laws and regulations...

One guy set up a dead petition no one knew fuck all about.

Nigel Farage was pretty open about about a weak Remain victory not being acceptable. If Remain had won, there would be just as many complaints as there are now.

For the record, I agree with them. Something of this magnitude should not be decided on such a slim percentage.

avaya

The longer this gets dragged out the worse it'll be for the UK economy, the uncertainty kills all investment and reduces demand. Markets and corporates will probably force this along more quickly.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Well, that should be soon then, and then it starts and you got two years to get it all in order, unless all others agree to extend it it seems.

Cameron's already said he's not doing it and he's here until October or until they elect a new Tory leader which will take time.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Historically this country has been cuntish and though it above everyone else. Not all of us are bad. From either side of the vote. Please remember that.

you cunts are already giving up your holidays aren't you?

more than 10 reservations have been canceled from yesterday in the hotel i work for

asking around in my city, a lot of other hotels are in the same situation

your pesky pale ass need more sun

kharma45

No, for the reasons I mentioned. Why should UK MEPs be allowed to work on legislation that will not affect them but will affect the rest of the EU?

Because it's still their job. Unless you're now suggesting these MEPs are going to suddenly turn and sabotage the EU before they leave.

Bedlam

I saw a really good post in the comments section of The Guardian today:

It's certainly a dynamic I've not thought of, but it's a nice trap to have been set by Cameron and it does dump whoever is the next PM into the shit if they are a Brexiter. Interesting times.
This is truly a great analysis. What a huge mess for UK politics.

I hope the EU puts on more pressure and gets the whole process initiated as soon as possible. This referendum, with all the fallout that already happened, cannot be without repercussions.

There aren't really many good candidates, but I'd have preferred Burnham got it over Corbyn last time out. At the very least Burnham has a proven track record of putting up a decent fight.

I cant think of a more smarmier/bandwagon jumping politician in the UK, he's hitched his wagon to being Mayor of Manchester hasn't he?

Though it would prove a point if he chucked his hat in the ring

kharma45

you cunts are already giving up your holidays aren't you?

more than 10 reservations have been canceled from yesterday in the hotel i work for

asking around in my city, a lot of other hotels are in the same situation

your pesky pale ass need more sun

I'm glad I got mine booked before all this when the pound was slightly stronger. Got Berlin at a decent price.

I saw a really good post in the comments section of The Guardian today:

It's certainly a dynamic I've not thought of, but it's a nice trap to have been set by Cameron and it does dump whoever is the next PM into the shit if they are a Brexiter. Interesting times.

Ive seen more and more people post this on facebook. I just don't buy it.
The reason Johnson, Gove and the rest of the moron brigade haven't taken the bull by the horns yet is because the Tory party is a nasty back-stabbing organisation and for anyone to talk about offically starting the outof EU process, they automatically look like they're acting as an unelected leader and the rest of the party will cut them down come the leadership election.
Johnson's scared all right, scared of his own party..not the responsibility of ending our relationship with the EU.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Isn't the period 2 years? So why are you getting 7 years from?

It took Greenland 6 years. Ours is likely to be a bit more complicated. The two years in Art 50 is ridiculously optimistic. That's one reason for deferring the invocation of Art 50.

There is nothing to be gained for the UK, but everything for the EU. You can't just say you're out of the union and then stay in until it is convenient for you to leave. Once the government accepts the referendum, the process of getting the UK out should be started. That should be pretty soon.

But we haven't said, yet, that we are out of the union. We've had a referendum to that effect of course. But the particular status of that referendum in UK governance is none of the EU's business. The current government has not accepted the referendum, it has said it is for the next government to decide. That's fair enough.

It shows the incompetence of the Leave people that there is absolutely no idea about how to deal with this.

Alternatively, it shows their professionalism and restraint that they are not revealing their negotiating stance ahead of time.

OK. That one is a joke.

And the EU might interpreted it differently.

The wording is very clear. If the EU choose to ignore it they will lose the battle in their own court.

That secret plan should be out in the open pretty soon then to stop any further confusion. Of course this is literally the day after, but the necessary steps should be public in the next week, maybe two.

No it won't be. It will the form the basis of negotiations, and one does not reveal ones negotiating stance in advance.

Linkyn

No, for the reasons I mentioned. Why should UK MEPs be allowed to work on legislation that will not affect them but will affect the rest of the EU?

I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's not exactly like the eurosceptic MEPs had a stellar attendance / participation record before, and I don't expect that to change much.

kirblar

Then what is this talk about delaying? That was my issue. I don't think it is a good thing to delay it, both for the UK and EU actually. More uncertainty doesn't do anything good for people who are impacted by this.
The talk about delaying isn't about delaying a date, it's about delaying and punting until someone has the stones to kill it.

I don't see how it's undemocratic. The EU parliament can re-legislate when we leave if it feels like our MEPs influence had an impact on the result that they subsequently want to change. Until such a time, though, I don't see how it's undemocratic for our MEPs to continue voting on legislation that does or may affect us, given we have no idea right now when we are actually going to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom