• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

If the leave voters led themselves separately into a financial and political blackhole then that'd be fine as they chose it, but the fact that remain voters will get taken down too during this is the thing that gets me angry.

I just can't bring myself to forgive them for it.

Every person who voted Leave has put my job, my home, future in doubt, I have struggled to get the little I have, I will not forget and I will not forgive.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Will they?

I mean, I truly hope the EU has some options to speed up the process in either direction, because now it seems the UK can just keep on being the annoying pupil that doesn't cooperate, yet doesn't leave. If the UK doesn't call for article 50, is there anything the EU can do to do it themselves?

They can refuse to negotiate or meet with UK representatives until the UK commits to Article 50.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Scotland is gone isn't it? What's your take on the Scottish Parliament consent angle?

Can't be bothered to look it up now, but there's something in the Scotland Act that if Westminster legislates for anything that materially affects Scotland it will get consent from the Scottish parliament, and since it also says in the Scotland Act that the Scottish Parliament has to comply with EU rules, then this will clearly be triggered by Brexit.

Oh, I was daydreaming today about a cunning plan where Scotland went independent and remained part of the EU and in return for additional funding from Westminster of about £161m a week it gave everyone in the UK Scottish citizenship. Then I woke up.

They can refuse to negotiate or meet with UK representatives until the UK commits to Article 50.

And that's fair enough. We've got plenty we can be getting on with in the meantime. We don't for example need the EUs consent to write Regulations and Treaty Articles into UK law.

PJV3

Every person who voted Leave has put my job, my home, future in doubt, I have struggled to get the little I have, I will not forget and I will not forgive.

I'd rather address some of the issues and not face this again. It's ridiculous that the UK is this divided and potentially on the edge of imploding. We ain't some poor 3rd world country, we can build the houses we need etc.

Can't be bothered to look it up now, but there's something in the Scotland Act that if Westminster legislates for anything that materially affects Scotland it will get consent from the Scottish parliament, and since it also says in the Scotland Act that the Scottish Parliament has to comply with EU rules, then this will clearly be triggered by Brexit.

So the SNP could also act as a massive spanner in the works, possibly holding back consent to the triggering of Article 50, possibly in exchange for say, agreeing to IndyRef2?

Just playing theoretical politics here, obvs.

I'd rather address some of the issues and not face this again. It's ridiculous that the UK is this divided and potentially on the edge of imploding. We ain't some poor 3rd world country, we can build the houses we need etc.

We've been needing to build more bloody houses for years and haven't done it. But yes quite right, we can afford it. Sorry. It's something that gripes me, that.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Will they?

I mean, I truly hope the EU has some options to speed up the process in either direction, because now it seems the UK can just keep on being the annoying pupil that doesn't cooperate, yet doesn't leave. If the UK doesn't call for article 50, is there anything the EU can do to do it themselves?

The EU has the following going for them :

1. Pursuing legal means to force the UK to trigger it (such as saying the act of the referendum passing itself was a trigger), or even the wording -'shall'- in the paragraph regarding triggering, they may argue, means it is an obligation on the UK to trigger it. This radio silence the UK is engaged in would be a breach.
2. London pushing for the government to trigger it, to minimise the amount of business that is being lost daily.
3. The longer the UK waits, the worse of the deal will be and the more swift the EU has to be in how they deal with UK during negotiations. Now more than ever the EU has to show its force.

avaya

Oh god. Constitutional crisis does not even begin to put a finger on it. The other sad thing is that the civil service and machinery of government is going to be stalled for years on this thing and it's many ramifications while other needed reforms and legislation for the day to day running of this country are put on the back burner.

Just sheer madness.

Still can't get over it. I'm sure the leave voters had their reasons, but I just find it so hard to believe so many of the people around me have a vision for this country, and for their future, that is so diametrically opposed to mine that they're willing to throw away and risk such a ludicrous amount.

I agree that it will be very hard to forgive. But at the moment, I'm just hoping for some kind of sanity and order to it soon, just so I don't have to spend my days being anxious the whole time.

Harmen

If the leave voters led themselves separately into a financial and political blackhole then that'd be fine as they chose it, but the fact that remain voters will get taken down too during this is the thing that gets me angry.

I just can't bring myself to forgive them for it.

Didn't like three quarters of people aged <24 vote against Brexit? And more than the half of people aged 25-49 voted against as well, I think. Older generations potentially screwed them over, which is very sad. The aftermath will affect the people (aged <50) that voted against more, as they are building their careers, studying, still have a long while to go on the jobmarket etc. For their sake, I hope this situation stabilizes well soon.

Edit: source: http://www.politico.eu/article/britains-youth-voted-remain-leave-eu-brexit-referendum-stats/ (other sites state this as well).

slider

Oh god. Constitutional crisis does not even begin to put a finger on it. The other sad thing is that the civil service and machinery of government is going to be stalled for years on this thing and it's many ramifications while other needed reforms and legislation for the day to day running of this country are put on the back burner.

Just sheer madness.

Heh, nevermind that austerity measures have decimated large parts of the civil service. Police (I think), NHS and the security / intelligence services were protected AFAIK.

Regarding EU's response and the proposed dragging of feet: the Leavers forgot Greece. Remember that? The EU can be super vicious these days, and this is an order of magnitude worse politically.

Personally, I'm torn because of the effects there will be on ordinary people. But there's so much wanting to have your cake and eat it too in the Leaver camp that I viscerally want to see them getting a boot shoved up their asses.

Walshicus

So the SNP could also act as a massive spanner in the works, possibly holding back consent to the triggering of Article 50, possibly in exchange for say, agreeing to IndyRef2?
Interesting to see how this goes. If I were the leader of the SNP I would secure some very lucrative terms for that consent. A new referendum with guarantees from Westminster about shared Sterling access for starters.

You shouldn't really say you're going to have pie tonight unless you've know what the recipe is.

You can decide to have pie before knowing what flavour. I fancy pie now. Chicken, beef, pork, veggie, who knows.

Oooh I have a pork pie in the fridge.

Sorry, I think I've driven this metaphor off a cliff. Metaphorically.

Bedlam

Still can't get over it. I'm sure the leave voters had their reasons, but I just find it so hard to believe so many of the people around me have a vision for this country, and for their future, that is so diametrically opposed to mine that they're willing to throw away and risk such a ludicrous amount.

I agree that it will be very hard to forgive. But at the moment, I'm just hoping for some kind of sanity and order to it soon, just so I don't have to spend my days being anxious the whole time.
They were being lied to and they bought into it.

Fuck populism. The UK's major problem was never the EU.

avaya

When you remove someone's security, the resentment that builds in a person is strong. I'd go far as to say the division here will be much greater than in the Scottish referendum for a fair few people.

nOoblet16

Didn't like three quarters of people aged <24 vote against Brexit? And more than the half of people aged 25-49 voted against as well, I think. Older generations potentially screwed them over, which is very sad. The aftermath will affect the people (aged <50) that voted against more, as they are building their careers, studying, still have a long while to go on the jobmarket etc. For their sake, I hope this situation stabilizes well soon.

Edit: source: http://www.politico.eu/article/britains-youth-voted-remain-leave-eu-brexit-referendum-stats/ (other sites state this as well).

There's one fact though, not many young people voted whereas a lot of older people voted.
Probably cause a lot of those 18-25 who didn't even turn up were too busy trying to get laid and drunk (I'm 25 myself). :p

Corto

Regarding EU's response and the proposed dragging of feet: the Leavers forgot Greece. Remember that? The EU can be super vicious these days, and this is an order of magnitude worse politically.

Personally, I'm torn because of the effects there will be on ordinary people. But there's so much wanting to have your cake and eat it too in the Leaver camp that I viscerally want to see them getting a boot shoved up their asses.

We are talking here of the 5th World Economy, not Greece. Greece was struggling to not get kicked out from the Union. UK wants to get out from the Union on their people own volition.

-Plasma Reus-

Another thing people don't seem to understand is that the UK hasn't really fostered a lot of goodwill with the way it used to demand things when it was part of the EU. And this campaign and the way it was run has made things worse if anything. Smaller members want to see something done, and France/Germany have legitimate reason for themselves to be extra harsh because the future of the EU has come in to question lately.
I feel really sorry for half of this country who were sensible and now have to pay for the choice of others.

oti

Banned
We are talking here of the 5th World Economy, not Greece. Greece was struggling to not get kicked out from the Union. UK wants to get out from the Union on their people own volition.

Greece never wanted to quit the Union. The question was if Greece had to leave the Euro Zone once it declared it wouldn't pay its debt/follow through with Troika's demands. Plus, it's Greece. Not the UK.

THE UK for god's sake what is going on.

It's not the getting out part. It's saying you want to get out then start playing games and not actually leaving.

-Plasma Reus-

Good guess, I will come back Tuesday to bow to your wisdom

So I will check next week then maybe ?

Don't you want to leave the EU? Wouldn't it be in your interest if this happened as soon as possible?
Delaying will not get the leave camp anything, and is only making things worse for them.

You can decide to have pie before knowing what flavour. I fancy pie now. Chicken, beef, pork, veggie, who knows.

Oooh I have a pork pie in the fridge.

Sorry, I think I've driven this metaphor off a cliff. Metaphorically.
It was always going to be a pork pie. The issue is that they don't know how to not fuck it.

Just playing theoretical politics here, obvs.
I don't think anyone who succeeds Cameron would oppose the notion that Scotland could have another independence referendum if they wanted. The problem is, Nicola Sturgeon is not 100% sure they could win it right now which is why she wants Westminster to give the Scottish parliament the legal right to call one (when they choose to), but also presumably also be involved in Brexit talks in case the settlement the agreed on turns out to be something they could live with.

If Scotland votes to leave the UK tomorrow, there is no guarantee that Spain would allow them to join EU immediately due to Catalonia question. Also, Scotland would have the financial economic upheaval of joining the Euro at the worst possible time when both currencies are in flux.

Neo C.

The EU has the following going for them :

1. Pursuing legal means to force the UK to trigger it (such as saying the act of the referendum passing itself was a trigger), or even the wording -'shall'- in the paragraph regarding triggering, they may argue, means it is an obligation on the UK to trigger it. This radio silence the UK is engaged in would be a breach.
2. London pushing for the government to trigger it, to minimise the amount of business that is being lost daily.
3. The longer the UK waits, the worse of the deal will be and the more swift the EU has to be in how they deal with UK during negotiations. Now more than ever the EU has to show its force.

I haven't look it deeply, but I think the EU can stop the funding for projects in education and other fields.

PJV3

When you remove someone's security, the resentment that builds in a person is strong. I'd go far as to say the division here will be much greater than in the Scottish referendum for a fair few people.

I know, I grew up during the dark days of Thatcherism up north, and it feels worse than that in many ways. The anger is flying in so many directions and it's time to deal with it

That's if this decision hasn't pissed away the money to do it.

pigeon

Banned
I think it would be hard for anyone to say that the result of an advisory non-binding referendum that Parliament or the Government do not have to follow counts as notification.

I mean, it would really be pretty easy to say that. You just did!

Here's the question: what if the EU did just come out and say "we consider that the UK has invoked article 50 and it's all downhill from here?" What, exactly, would anybody do about it? Send Farage to Parliament to complain that he doesn't want to leave yet?

oti

Banned
Greece: Trying to hold on to what is left from its meal and asking the Euro Zone for more soup.

UK: Setting its food factories on fire and demanding more and better factories.

Mythos

Was this posted already?

arN4dKy_700b_v1.jpg

The EU wanting (but unable) for us to get on with leaving as soon as possible, and us taking our sweet old time about it could very well be the sweetest irony.

Dinda

The EU wanting (but unable) for us to get on with leaving as soon as possible, and us taking our sweet old time about it could very well be the sweetest irony.

Believe me, the EU won't be the only one asking for this to be resolved as soon as possible. The Rest of the world is just as interested in that.

Venturer

The EU may want us out but it's in the UK interest to be in a position to negotiate before we notify Brussels we wish to leave. Initiating article 50 will put the EU in a stronger negotiating position due to the 2 year time period, we should bide our time and get the best deal we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom