• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadayi

Banned
the dude who fucking called the referendum is leaving the mess to let some other random guy take care of it.

Yeah I'm pretty disgusted that Cameron is trying to wash his hands of a disaster of his own making and thinks he can just leave the UK in limbo for 4 months, as if that's not going to have a negative impact on everything due to political uncertainty, versus manning up and doing his best to ensure that the foundation of the transition is solid. Shameless behaviour on his part.

Hazzuh

The problem is that the only thing which united the Leave side was wanting to Leave. There were a myriad of reasons to want it, sovereignty issues, the EU being a "neoliberal plot", immigration. That means that what they actually want Britain's relationship outside the EU various massively. Many of the Conservative MPs only care about sovereignty and they basically want the UK to have the exact same relationship with the EU as before except laws are decided exclusively in parliament. I think they might have some issues with this when many voters wanted to leave so migration could be reduced to zero...

Jisgsaw

And this, I think, is behind some of the current fuss about the timing of Article 50 notification.

Clearly it is in the UK's interest to delay this at least until there are the political structures in place to handle the negotiation and its fallout. That probably means after the next General Election, which I expect to see considerably sooner than 2020.

It is the the EUs interest to push for immediate notification, for three reasons:
- to try and put a plug in uprisings in other member states
- to avoid having to face the fact that internal reforms may be necessary and to do anything about them
- to avoid the nightmare scenario of more than one state in parallel operating Article 50

This last one is a nightmare because of the way article 50 is worded. For example obviously the UK is excluded from discussions about the EU stance on the UKs exit - but if, say Sweden were exiting at the same time there is no legal provision to exclude Sweden from the UK's discussions and vice-versa, and the EU's negotiating stance would be thrown wide open.

I hope the second point won't kick in, the prospect of actual thought out reforms is the only positive point of Brexit.

To the bolded: I don't think it's in UK'S best interest to wait it out, be it only to avoid all multinational companies beginning to leave the country. They may wait a bit to see if the UK gets a trade deal they can work with, but they won't way too long.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thing is, they have little power to demand that.

They should consider expelling the 73 UK welfare leeches who currently intend to continue cashing 14 million Euro worth of paycheques over the next two years while they twiddle their thumb, which they almost certainly do have the power to do.

oti

Banned
It is absolutely not their call. They have no say in it whatsoever, and are only making themselves look like jerks by demanding it.

Though I can't say I am surprised given what dumb things our MEPs have done in the Parliament.

You do realize the markets are strongly in favour of EU putting pressure on UK and achieving some clarity in this messy time, right. There needs to be structure and a plan. Up to now the UK has unfortunately done nothing but display incompetence.

I was speaking to my girlfriend's parents today, both of whom voted Leave.

When I asked them why her mum, who has also come across as extremely ignorant to me, said this:

"This country has become a joke. You can't even discipline your children any more!"

I knew EXACTLY where she was going with this so I responded with "There's a big difference between disciplining a child and beating them."

She spoke over me. "No, it's against the law in some places to discipline children these days. You're not allowed to give them a smack or anything."

"So you voted out of Europe because you want to be able to smack children?"
"When I was at school teachers would often cane the naughty kids and..."

FUCK!!!!!!!

norinrad

What a mess. I don't think all involved has any clue whats going on. Even Paul Krugman won't be able to wrap his head around this.

Around this time next year Greece is probably going to have issues. heh

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Another interesting fact: the UK is supposed to take up the presidency of the European council in exactly a year. At that time, the UK will probably be still in the EU officially, but no one is going to take their presidency serious.

It is more urgent than that, since the presidency is preceded by a one-year stretch on the Troika that sets the political direction for the EU. The UK is due to take that position next Friday.

cilonen

They should consider expelling the 73 UK welfare leeches who currently intend to continue cashing 14 million Euro worth of paycheques over the next two years while they twiddle their thumb, which they almost certainly do have the power to do.

No argument there, also not sure anyone would actually care about the MEPs.

Yeah I'm pretty disgusted that Cameron is trying to wash his hands of a disaster of his own making and thinks he can just leave the UK in limbo for 4 months, as if that's not going to have a negative impact on everything. Versus manning up and doing his best to ensure that the foundation of the transition is solid. Shameless behaviour on his part.

What's he meant to do? Start negotiating when everyone on the other side of the table knows he won't be the one who needs to sign it off?

Imo he's going as quickly as he can.

Skinpop

And this, I think, is behind some of the current fuss about the timing of Article 50 notification.

wouldn't delaying the exit just cause companies to bail earlier and the economy to tank harder? delaying means more uncertainty which is worse that possibly staying for a year or two longer.

Yeah I'm pretty disgusted that Cameron is trying to wash his hands of a disaster of his own making and thinks he can just leave the UK in limbo for 4 months, as if that's not going to have a negative impact on everything. Versus manning up and doing his best to ensure that the foundation of the transition is solid. Shameless behaviour on his part.

It's terrible, but rather shrewd on his behalf. He's sabotaged his successor, and potentially salvaged whatever is left of his own reputation by deflecting the heat onto them.

Zaph

Remain did not have my best interests at heart all remain were interested in by the looks of it is how much fucking money they are gonna lose. You can't get any more right wing than that.

Is this sarcasm? It has to be, right?

Yes, this is about money. It's what our country bloody runs on.

Hazzuh

I'm not sure who in the EU has the right to expel MEPs. As long as the UK is part of the EU they have every right to be there. They may be lame ducks but then most UK MEPs didn't do anything worthwhile anyway so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bold One

Remain did not have my best interests at heart all remain were interested in by the looks of it is how much fucking money they are gonna lose. You can't get any more right wing than that.

oh ffs...

xVzszLL.png

When I asked them why her mum, who has also come across as extremely ignorant to me, said this:

"This country has become a joke. You can't even discipline your children any more!"

I knew EXACTLY where she was going with this so I responded with "There's a big difference between disciplining a child and beating them."

She spoke over me. "No, it's against the law in some places to discipline children these days. You're not allowed to give them a smack or anything."

FUCK!!!!!!!

People are fucking idiots.

It's not PC to say but there we are. I suppose this is a leftover from the Thatcherite me first era.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
You do realize the markets are strongly in favour of EU putting pressure on UK and achieving some clarity in this messy time, right. There needs to be structure and a plan. Up to now the UK has unfortunately done nothing but display incompetence.

Sure they are. And up to now the UK has, like everybody else, been in shock at the outcome. That's not incompetence, just shock. We only got the result yesterday, this is no time for bullying.

Jesus another one, if

You also missed the "if" in his post.

There's no "if", none of the parties with actual representation in the parlament wants a referendum.

Unlike England or France, which right-wing fascists are capitalizing the discomfort of working classes with their bigotry. In Spain it was intellectuals that understands the needs of the people but actually want a better EU, not getting out of it.

For much fear mongering is thrown out by some of our parties.

AHA-Lambda

The money going to research, education, culture, the arts and public services?

That money being invested in social issues?

That's right wing now?

Whereas saving money from an EU membership that was an economic net gain in order to ""fund"" a deliberately underfunded NHS was left wing now? Need your head examined mate

Hasney

FUCK!!!!!!!

Oh sweet, we can discipline children again, because voting out of the EU takes us back to the dark ages? Awesome. I'm gonna go celebrate.

pJSsCC4.gif

Because they thought it would be a small win for remain. And they could at least look like brave Patriots who at least had the guts to fight for the UK. Now that they'll have to actually follow through. You can see the paucity in their plans.

Its interesting that Boris has stopped the Buffon act. He knows his in deep,deep shit. And that his probably dealt his leadership ambitions a fatal blow.

I actually think his leadership ambition has more chance of happening than ever now. The problem that Boris realises is that the next PM has no way of looking good by the time the GE happens because we're all in a world of hurt. He;ll be a less than 1 term PM.

This whole affair and the sudden "oh shit what have we done!?" attitude some Leave people now have reminds me of that joke I heard about the man who throws a large boulder out his apartment window and realizes too late that its tied to his testicles, and he now has to decide whether or not to dive out after it.

Baybars

Banned
Yeah I'm pretty disgusted that Cameron is trying to wash his hands of a disaster of his own making and thinks he can just leave the UK in limbo for 4 months, as if that's not going to have a negative impact on everything due to political uncertainty, versus manning up and doing his best to ensure that the foundation of the transition is solid. Shameless behaviour on his part.

Can't blame cameron. The guy was a moron to even call for a referendum. But he has a point. Why should he deal with this shit? let bojo and gove deal with it

avaya

It's terrible, but rather shrewd on his behalf. He's sabotaged his successor, and potentially salvaged whatever is left of his own reputation by deflecting the heat onto them.

His reputation is finished and I don't really know if Johnson will be prime minister.

I say this based on the fact that I live in a Tory echo chamber at work. These people and my bosses, reliable Tory voters will not forgive him, Johnson, Gove or anyone of the exiters for what they've done. Them and their families. They even ecpressed a desire to have BLAIR back or vote for a competent Labour Party. Since the Labour Party is headed by a moron I don't know what will happen.

oti

Banned
Sure they are. And up to now the UK has, like everybody else, been in shock at the outcome. That's not incompetence, just shock. We only got the result yesterday, this is no time for bullying.

This is not bullying. This is stating facts. It's a tragedy but this is the situation right now and we have to deal with it.

Maedre

Banned
People use this argument for countries themselves as an argument against having nation states. You don't have anything in common with your country men either, besides a few things. Their fucking sense of nationalism can mow itself down the toilet. And while there is a validity to it (I think Nationalism is a bad omen) I think it misses the point of what the EU is and why it has been amazing.

I disagree with what you're saying because you're not taking the long view into perspective. There is no place on earth that has had as much bloodshed, war and fighting as the European continent. Due to its geographical location, Europeans emerged as military frontrunners, and as a result we have had incredible devastating wars. Our ancestors literally would not have been able to imagine a peaceful Europe where everyone is chill and trades. If we track back to just the last 3000 years of modern history, you'd see that what EU has allowed to happen is an incredible level of prosperity and peace. It's with the help of the EU that France and Britain has weeined itself of its colonial past, rather successfully all things considering.
Living on the European continent right now is amazing considering the alternative in the past. And really, if there is one good thing you can say about capitalism, it is that it has the ability to make nations not fight or obstruct one another in favor of working together due to economic gain.

Being in the European Union is not about some shared identity. I think that is a anti-globalization fallacy.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

norinrad

There is nothing funny about this.

Whos laughing? Perhaps i should have written "sigh" instead of "heh"?

No one has a clue whats going to happen in the coming, weeks, months or next 5 years. Right now both the EU and UK are not doing anyone nor themselves any favors.

One is silent and the other seems to be threatening the silent.

It's incompetence if a country doesn't have a masterplan how to handle a possible outcome of a voting.

But whatever helps to create that image of an evil EU!

Jezbollah

I saw a really good post in the comments section of The Guardian today:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

It's certainly a dynamic I've not thought of, but it's a nice trap to have been set by Cameron and it does dump whoever is the next PM into the shit if they are a Brexiter. Interesting times.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What shakedown? The UK wants out. They should get no with it then and not delay. The EU is fully within its right to get the UK to leave instead of dragging matters out.

'scuse me. We just had a referendum. The question was whether we leave the EU - not whether we leave two weeks on Friday.

His reputation is finished and I don't really know if Johnson will be prime minister.

I say this based on the fact that I live in a Tory echo chamber at work. These people and my bosses, reliable Tory voters will not forgive him, Johnson, Gove or anyone of the exiters for what they've done. Them and their families. They even ecpressed a desire to have BLAIR back or vote for a competent Labour Party. Since the Labour Party is headed by a moron I don't know what will happen.

Oh, I know he's finished within the party. I was thinking more his legacy to the general public. History might look on him a little more kindly than his successor, depending on how they will handle the situation. Plus it's a nice bit of revenge on Boris or Gove, assuming either of them become Prime Minister. They can either ignore the referendum, and cause a shitstorm, or try a negotiate a shitty deal, which will also cause a shitstorm. The next election will be a travesty for them. They are destined to be a puppet on a lonely string.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My girlfriend got told that her job is under risk. The company is not going to let her go now, but they're concerned about the situation and have advised her to examine other options. Pretty cut up.

Girlfriend explains why she voted out of the EU

Wow...wow. Has this been posted already?
Haha, that's got to be fake.

'scuse me. We just had a referendum. The question was whether we leave the EU - not whether we leave two weeks on Friday.
Yes, and now that you have decided that, the UK shouldn't drag the process out any longer then needed. You're not leaving in two weeks, you're leaving in two years from the moment the UK says they are out. So your government should officially notify the EU of that as soon as possible so the process can get on its way. This should be done next week I think if the UK government accepts the results of the referendum.

cilonen

This is a really interesting angle I hadn't considered. If Cameron has managed to piss of his mates in the City then the Conservatives are screwed.

It's like how a friend was telling me all through the Thatcher years she kept the Police on side by refusing to make cuts, but this government hasn't realised that and has lost the support they used to have.

If Cameron's just poisoned the good old boy network of the City then that's possibly the biggest seismic shift out of all of this.

Whos laughing? Perhaps i should have written "sigh" instead of "heh"?

No one has a clue whats going to happen in the coming, weeks, months or next 5 years. Right now both the EU and UK are not doing anyone nor themselves any favors.

One is silent and the other seems to be threatening the silent.

Yeah took the heh for you laughing about it. Never mind than. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom