• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took Greenland 6 years. Ours is likely to be a bit more complicated. The two years in Art 50 is ridiculously optimistic. That's one reason for deferring the invocation of Art 50.

But we haven't said, yet, that we are out of the union. We've had a referendum to that effect of course. But the particular status of that referendum in UK governance is none of the EU's business. The current government has not accepted the referendum, it has said it is for the next government to decide. That's fair enough.
Considering it has major impact on the EU, it is their business. I don't think it is fair that the UK wants to put this off. The current government gave the people a referendum. Then now they should decide if they will honor the result or not. How can that be put off to the next government? That makes no sense.

No it won't be. It will the form the basis of negotiations, and one does not reveal ones negotiating stance in advance.
By plan I don't mean exactly what the UK wants out of it, but an indication of the timeline and events in the next years related to their leaving the EU. They must clear that up as soon as possible, both in their own peoples interest and the EU.

Working with many Europeans here, had the opposite. People shell shocked and sad. Had to comfort quite a few colleagues who came to work at 3am in tears, their careers and plans uncertain.

London feels odd right now.

I work with a lot of Europeans as well but didn't get that reaction. The last few days haven't really felt different than pre-Referendum.

In what field do you work in?

slider

The problem is that, since Article 50 wasn't really intended to be used, it is deliberately vague in its phrasing, so it is hard to say what would constitute a 'notification'.

I'm no lawyer but wouldn't it possibly be a case of "to list is to exclude". Given there's no proscribed way of doing it, anything could be used as a notification. Dunno, just guessing. Legal-GAF go!

geordiemp

Considering it has major impact on the EU, it is their business. I don't think it is fair that the UK wants to put this off. The current government gave the people a referendum. Then now they should decide if they will honor the result or not. How can that be put off to the next government? That makes no sense.

By plan I don't mean exactly what the UK wants out of it, but an indication of the timeline and events in the next years related to their leaving the EU. They must clear that up as soon as possible, both in their own peoples interest and the EU.

UK government will say it is to leave when it is ready, you can repeat yourself a hundred times in his thread, you have the answer which was given already

October at the earliest when a new prime minister is chosen, and then they decide what to do following the referendum.

You can insist and insist, but so what ? Deal with it or keep repeating you post again and again...

Orbis

You have an enormous game of chicken going on right now where someone needs to take the bullet, but no one wants to be the one to do it.
Total madness. Nobody was ready for this. If we hear nothing of substance on Monday, I'm convinced the Government is in full panic mode.

I actually think his leadership ambition has more chance of happening than ever now. The problem that Boris realises is that the next PM has no way of looking good by the time the GE happens because we're all in a world of hurt. He;ll be a less than 1 term PM.

He will be a pm for life unless the Labour Party sorts itself out. Corbyn is popular with the grassroots but is totally unelectable.

I'm no lawyer but wouldn't it possibly be a case of "to list is to exclude". Given there's no proscribed way of doing it, anything could be used as a notification. Dunno, just guessing. Legal-GAF go!

I think it would be hard for anyone to say that the result of an advisory non-binding referendum that Parliament or the Government do not have to follow counts as notification.

We don't even know who the PM and negotiating team will be that ultimately need to sign off on it all, yet. In fact, it's sorting out these roles which is the primary reason why it's being delayed. What virtue is there to starting the process on Monday when *actually* it won't start til the new PM is in place anyway?

Aerogamer

Neo Member
Just want to offer well wishes to British GAF. I am sorry that the older members of your nation hijacked your future. I hope things turn out good for you guys.

Leave lave lave I tell you, you must leave now now now, this very minute, get out get out.

Nobody is listening to your ranting. UK government will say it is to leave when it is ready, you cna repeat yourself an hundred times, so what.
It is ranting to say the UK government should take responsibility for the choices they made? Seems to me it is in their interest also to not drag this out for months. I'm not talking about them leaving right away, but about the process getting started so people know what will happen.

We don't even know who the PM and negotiating team will be thT ultimately need to sign off on it all, yet. In fact, it's sorting out these roles which is the primary reason why it's being delayed. What virtue is there to starting the process on Monday when *actually* it won't start til the new PM is in place anyway?
To clear things up and not leave people in uncertainty. If next week we don't know if the UK is even going to accept the result of the referendum, that is not a good sign and will create more trouble for people.

I'm just baffled at the lack of any arrangements being made by the UK government if the vote went with Leave.

Just want to offer well wishes to British GAF. I am sorry that the older members of your nation hijacked your future. I hope things turn out good for you guys.

No need to apologise - if the young turned out in the same numbers as the old, Remain would have won. It's their own fault.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Total madness. Nobody was ready for this. If we hear nothing of substance on Monday, I'm convinced the Government is in full panic mode.

I would say that's a fair bet. He won a majority and the decided to quit within a year. Nobody saw this coming.

Corto

This stalemate state is no surprise, this is a completely original process with completely unexpected consequences. These are extraordinary times and unfortunately we don't have extraordinary politicians commanding them.

Best

You have an enormous game of chicken going on right now where someone needs to take the bullet, but no one wants to be the one to do it.

David Lammy's already tweeted that Remain MPs should just ignore it. Easy for him being a London Labour MP, but hopefully it gets the ball rolling.

Bedlam

This stalemate state is no surprise, this is a completely original process with completely unexpected consequences. These are extraordinary times and unfortunately we don't have extraordinary politicians commanding them.
... well, especially on the UK side. Seems the EU will be steamrolling this without mercy.

Kadayi

Banned
It's terrible, but rather shrewd on his behalf. He's sabotaged his successor, and potentially salvaged whatever is left of his own reputation by deflecting the heat onto them.

I certainly don't subscribe to the 'sky is falling doom-mongering' that's constituted a lot of the knee-jerk reaction to events, but from a political perspective he's done (there's no reputation to salvage), so I don't really think it's in the national interest for him to try and delay, simply so he can pass the poisoned chalice to his successor. The longer uncertainty holds sway, the more economic blowback there will be. The sooner the bitter pill is swallowed, the sooner market confidence will be restored and a roadmap for transition can be established.

slider

I think it would be hard for anyone to say that the result of an advisory non-binding referendum that Parliament or the Government do not have to follow counts as notification.

Not the referendum itself - that doesn't make sense - but anything enacted by HMG thereafter.

edgefusion

I am honestly panicking for Cornwall, I feel like I need to get out of the county and start a life elsewhere. Without EU funding this place is going nowhere.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Pretty sure the EU knows exactly what it needs to do. It appears the Leave campaign has no clue.

And then people are still hoping that the UK doesn't get destroyed on the various negotiation tables.

Hopefully going to France on holiday soon. When I am there I am worried any French people (besides my fanoly) I see will hate me .. Feels bad man
I didn't get that feeling at the office yesterday, or in the various places I visited today. Everyone around me is utterly baffled and depressed, but I haven't heard anyone hating on the British. We're dumbfounded by what looks like a headless chicken and a lot of pent up anger that seems misguided and utterly disastrous, but honestly I'd never hate a UK citizen for this, if only because there's a 65% chance they didn't vote Leave.

Still, you'll probably run into garden variety anti-British xenophobia, of which there's been too much for too long.

boris' ambition has turned cameron's legacy from middle of the pack pm to top three worst in last century - so this at least seems fair game

that said the problem is the beneficiary is farage when boris alienates the leave voters instead of lumping it all on cameron
Yeah, however you cut it, the loaded gun is on the table and they've promised it would be fired. Cameron can walk away, Johnson can pretend it's not there, but it's hard to imagine no one will pick it sooner or later. I mean, if Tories decided to ignore it for as long as possible and wriggle their way out of it, they'd still have to face an election eventually.

So, you know that 2m signature petition... Turns out it was set up by TEAM LEAVE because they expected a REMAIN result.

https://t.co/vm8PVd5f4q
We're through the looking glass here.

oti

Banned
Johnson: And now I attack you with referendum! I will flip a coin to determine the outcome!

*flips coin, coin lands on BREXIT*

Cameron: You activated my trap card! Total implosion!

Johnson: NOOOOOOOOO!

fhqwhgads

Posters need to stop painting the whole "Why did Leave win/Why did Remain lose" situation as black and white as "Blame the old/Blame the young"

dumbo

That depends on how 'member state' is defined in the document. That may specifically refer to the government of a state, or it may refer to a state in general.

Obviously, there's way I'm reading the entire treaty to work that out.

PJV3

Corbyns popularity with grrassroots in London and other large metro areas is finished.

Sadly, he's not got the gumption for something like this. It's going to be a Tory power struggle story again. He doesn't have the energy to get noticed.

And I really like the bloke.

And Cameron's ensured that it has to be one of his own bastards that does.

I certainly don't subscribe to the 'sky is falling doom-mongering' that's constituted a lot of the knee-jerk reaction to events, but from a political perspective he's done (there's no reputation to salvage), so I don't really think it's in the national interest for him to try and delay, simply so he can pass the poisoned chalice to his successor. The longer uncertainty holds sway, the more economic blowback there will be.
As I replied elsewhere, I should have gone with the word 'legacy'. He won't be the worst PM in modern history...by ensuring his successor is instead. He can just say he offered a choice; his successor pulled the trigger.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
There is nothing to steam role until UK notify EU.

Maybe it will start in November is my best guess.

Whats yours ?

I wouldn't be so sure. At this very moment, big institutions are pressuring the government to get on with it as the value of the currency fluctuates and money is lost. This is literally a ticking clock at this moment.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

You seem to be rather hung up on the idea that the UK is "putting off" doing something here.

There are lots of different negotiations needed to withdraw from the EU, and the actual negotiated exit anticipated in article 50 is only one of them.

For example, negotiations are needed within the UK parliament to ensure a smooth path for any legislation needed. For example, negotiations are needed with other constituent parts of the UK as a notification may need the consent of the Scottish Parliament - and perhaps of the Welsh Assembly and the Northern Ireland Assembly as well. Consultation will be needed with the House of Lords committees. Opening discussions may be needed with potential trade partners.

All of this prior to entering a time-limited negotiation period with the EU.

To put it another way, you don't set the oven timer until after you have prepared your pie, otherwise it will come out underdone.

Zaph

I am honestly panicking for Cornwall, I feel like I need to get out of the county and start a life elsewhere. Without EU funding this place is going nowhere.
Best off leaving either way, was never going anywhere. Far too many parts of the U.K. didnt realise the EU is the least of their problems.

avaya

You seem to be rather hung up on the idea that the UK is "putting off" doing something here.

There are lots of different negotiations needed to withdraw from the EU, and the actual negotiated exit anticipated in article 50 is only one of them.

For example, negotiations are needed within the UK parliament to ensure a smooth path for any legislation needed. For example, negotiations are needed with other constituent parts of the UK as a notification may need the consent of the Scottish Parliament - and perhaps of the Welsh Assembly and the Northern Ireland Assembly as well. Consultation will be needed with the House of Lords committees. Opening discussions may be needed with potential trade partners.

To put it another way, you don't set the oven timer until after you have prepared your pie, otherwise it will come out underdone.

Scotland is gone isn't it? What's your take on the Scottish Parliament consent angle?

If the leave voters led themselves separately into a financial and political blackhole then that'd be fine as they chose it, but the fact that remain voters will get taken down too during this is the thing that gets me angry.

I just can't bring myself to forgive them for it.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

These young "I'm privalged and my younger life is more important" voters that couldn't be arsed to vote licking their wounds and crying their eyes. Man l feel so sorry here's a tissue.

Way before November. The EU will find a way to move this forward quickly.

Will they?

I mean, I truly hope the EU has some options to speed up the process in either direction, because now it seems the UK can just keep on being the annoying pupil that doesn't cooperate, yet doesn't leave. If the UK doesn't call for article 50, is there anything the EU can do to do it themselves?

Corto

Read somewhere, can't remember now where exactly unfortunately, but I remember it was a reputable source that final negotiations wouldn't be closed before 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom