• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unreal that Boris Johnson could end up being Prime Minister. The guy is a buffon and a fucking liar.

Whatever happens in their leadership battle, I strongly believe there needs to be a general election for a mandate to be given.

Too much has changed in the past year.

Too much, outside of party political lines.

Joe

fis3wGQ.jpg

Views on climate change is a good litmus test for any politician whether you agree with their other views or not. These opinions are not a good indicator that UK is in good hands.

samn

fis3wGQ.jpg

Views on climate change is a good litmus test for any politician whether you agree with their other views or not. These opinions are not a good indicator that UK is in good hands.

Absolutely terrifying.

Tens of thousands of people die in the UK each year from air pollution. It's not as exciting as the occasional terrorist attack so no-one gives a shit.

Soon even bicycle infrastructure and public transport will be seen as 'too European' to be worth investing in.

Hasney

fis3wGQ.jpg

Nigel is so far off that litmus test that he took up smoking again as he feels the doctors are wrong on the health issues.

slider

I'm more interested to know where Theresa May is, since she's kept a low profile during the whole thing. Personally I suspect she's hiding in the shadows, quietly watching and waiting, biding her time. Once Boris and Gove commit seppuku, she'll play her hand and gun for the leadership.

I don't like her on a gut instinct level. But Home Sec is a pretty tough gig and to have lasted as long as she has speaks of her resilience.

Tosyn_88

The world is in danger of being overrun by very right wing politics. We shouldn't be surprised that at the rate right wingers are making waves we get another major war within the next 20yrs, one which will be so bad, we will make it a crime for anyone to even suggest a notion of far right wingness

dyergram

fis3wGQ.jpg

neither of those politicians are in power so nothing is in their hands.

Bedlam

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/fis3wGQ.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah, from an outside viewpoint it appears the UK is currently run by a bunch of Trumps, to be honest.

Zaph

neither of those politicians are in power so nothing is in their hands.

They may not be in power, but Friday damn well taught us they have power.

Cameron has to give the Chancellor gig to a Brexiteer, I wonder who is up for that challenge.

Now there are tough jobs to be done, I think they'll have a tough time finding people to fill them - Brexiter's don't seem to be too fond of work or opportunities.

Conan-san

The world is in danger of being overrun by very right wing politics. We shouldn't be surprised that at the rate right wingers are making waves we get another major war within the next 20yrs, one which will be so bad, we will make it a crime for anyone to even suggest a notion of far right wingness

So tumblr, then.

Tosyn_88

I don't like her on a gut instinct level. But Home Sec is a pretty tough gig and to have lasted as long as she has speaks of her resilience.

She's not exactly popular with immigrants but I suppose that is what the leave voters want, someone who has complete ruthless stance on immigration. With her as the face of the party, she can definitely push for many of the wishes that's gotten the citizen in a pickle, however she's also a remain voter though so that may be a bit complex

AHA-Lambda

fis3wGQ.jpg

I'm an environmental studies student.

My field is going to get fucked.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Not that incredible. There's massive unemployment in Ebbw Vale - 40%-ish, ever since the steelworks closed. And they've had wave after wave of wholly inappropriate investment poured in. Giant Garden Festival! Sure - but did it make any jobs? Nope. Loads of EU funding! Sure, roads, railways, a shiny new college - still no jobs.

Same sort of thing happens round my neck of the woods. Some very deprived areas here, EU funding available so what do we do? Put up a massive unsightly illuminated public sculpture that is no use at all. Council response "It's EU money so it doesn't matter".

This sort of thing has worked very well in, say, Liverpool - which has done good work with EU cash and bounced the city up. But it's not done a lot for Ebbw Vale.

Actually those 10 000 votes are in kansalaisaloite.fi , which is an official site and does verify your identity.

Yes but it doesn't mean anything. What it shows that there are a ton of clueless people living in Finland. If you go look at the comment section of the evening papers like Iltasanomat, you really start to wonder how our education system can be so highly regarded. You can scroll through a hundred comments under a brexit news story and struggle to find 5 reasonable messages. But yes, even we have our "we want our country back" people here. Very loud, very stupid and hopefully a minority.

fis3wGQ.jpg

War of the Four Kingdoms

We're stuck in Westeros.
Scotland is clearly the North and Winterfell.
Northern Ireland is beyond the wall.
Wales is the Iron Islands.
Europe is Braavos where the money men are.

Oh, and Boris Johnston is a dumb piece of shit to Farage's Joffrey Fucking Baratheon. I can only imagine that this mother fucker wouldn't think that dragons pollute either.

nOoblet16

She's not exactly popular with immigrants but I suppose that is what the leave voters want, someone who has complete ruthless stance on immigration. With her as the face of the party, she can definitely push for many of the wishes that's gotten the citizen in a pickle, however she's also a remain voter though so that may be a bit complex

The only reason she appears ruthless is because she always primarily attacks the least dependent, most profitable but also the most vulnerable immigrant class i.e. non EU students, to reduce the immigration numbers.
That is a terrible way of dealing with immigration.

iNvid02

Barely any immigration and yet immigration was one of the main reasons why they voted to leave.

Idiots. The only one with any amount of common sense is the chip shop owner.

of course, they see it as a preventative measure so their community doesnt get overrun with brown people

fear won

Rutti

Yes but it doesn't mean anything. What it shows that there are a ton of clueless people living in Finland. If you go look at the comment section of the evening papers like Iltasanomat, you really start to wonder how our education system can be so highly regarded. You can scroll through a hundred comments under a brexit new story and struggle to find 5 reasonable messages. But yes, even we have our "we want our country back" people here. Very loud, very stupid and hopefully a minority.

I agree.

Beefy

Honestly wouldn't be shocked if Boris and Give get behind May and then they can start being bullish about winning the leave vote knowing that someone else is scooping up their shit for them and will get blamed for the issues the UK has by the end of the term.

May is the one I actually fear most tbh.

Zaph

Barely any immigration and yet immigration was one of the main reasons why they voted to leave.

Idiots. The only one with any amount of common sense is the chip shop owner.

Deborah Basini says that she voted Remain. “All my family did. I’m very worried about what’s going to happen to inward investment. I’m 60 – this isn’t going to affect me. It’ll be my grandchildren who are not yet born

What's that? Showing concern for a generation that isn't your own? Wow, what a novel concept, maybe our elderly could learn something from it?

avaya

FS moves likely in my opinion

Banks - Frankfurt, Paris, Dublin
Hedge Funds - Paris, Switzerland, Milan, NY
Private Equity - Switzerland, NY
Asset Managers - Paris, Frankfurt, Switzerland

The secondary effect of this is that law, accounting and other services firms that were dependent on these firms and the banks will also end up moving their bases.

Back and middle office jobs for these companies will probably have their ops entirely closed in the UK with very few staff being offered positions in the new office move, they are jobs which are more readily replaceable.

All of this is why the UK will bend over backwards for the passport because this level of job loss would crater London.

nOoblet16

Deborah Basini says that she voted Remain. “All my family did. I’m very worried about what’s going to happen to inward investment. I’m 60 – this isn’t going to affect me. It’ll be my grandchildren who are not yet born

What's that? Showing concern for a generation that isn't your own? Wow, what a novel concept, maybe our elderly could learn something from it?

I once met a 50 something woman a few weeks ago who was talking about the referendum, she mentioned that their generation wants to leave but she has to think of her children's future too.

Pandy

Interesting read here.

More of the same on why this may not happen, but written in a more understandable way and a way which makes it all click together:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cl1QW67WAAE8p8P.jpg:large
Sorry, if there's even a hint of politicians backing out of this then UKIP will have a massive boost for the next general election and the tories will be split to smithereens.
Didn't the current Conservative majority government get in on something like 24% of the vote? With First-Past-the-Post, UKIP will dominate unless a single strong opposition party emerges, and neither Labour nor the Lib Dems are likely to rise to the challenge.

Best

Sorry, if there's even a hint of politicians backing out of this then UKIP will have a massive boost for the next general election and the tories will be split to smithereens.
Didn't the current Conservative majority government get in on something like 24% of the vote? With First-Past-the-Post, UKIP will dominate unless a single strong opposition party emerges, and neither Labour nor the Lib Dems are likely to rise to the challenge.

UKIP already has a lot of votes and it translates into 1 MP under FPTP

LoveCake

Turns out those so worried about their future couldn't be bothered to vote on it

1466885120745.jpg

36%, bravo

This is what I have always said to every single person I ever meet and voting/politics comes up USE YOUR FUCKING RIGHT TO VOTE!

This was on a show here in the UK called The Last Leg and I found this part interesting, Listen to what Alex (the guy with the beard) says from 2:07 and especially from 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVHlhqqZf3c EU Referendum Brexit Rants and Reactions - The Last Leg
I hope the video works for everyone.

kmag

I'd take boris over may boris can at least fake something approaching humanity

May acts like she has a clutch of lizard eggs to protect

The secondary effect of this is that law, accounting and other services firms that were dependent on these firms and the banks will also end up moving their bases.

Back and middle office jobs for these companies will probably have their ops entirely closed in the UK with very few staff being offered positions in the new office move, they are jobs which are more readily replaceable.

All of this is why the UK will bend over backwards for the passport because this level of job loss would crater London.

The question though is, why should EU care? UK is not a member anymore. Why should EU allow a offshore financial centre that gets all the money of the european union but that they cannot regulate so that a third country does not go into recession?

Corto

52% of the turnout basically voted Donald Trump. That's how messed up this is.

The more this vote is associated with Trump the worse. It connects him with a win and without the onus of dealing with the dire consequences of that victory. You're just putting wind on his sails.

kmag

Heard Citigroup might be moving wholesale as in pretty much everything but it could just be rumours Lord knows there's enough of that
Of course I usually work for bankers I don't work in banking, it is usually a bit behind strategic stuff

You'd think the non Eu parented orgs will be the first to move especially the yanks they've always seemed a bit touchy about regulatory complicance at least on my side of things half my business is security audits for us firms

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
fis3wGQ.jpg

Hmmm.

The second one at least is taken very severely out of context. In context, it is part of an article that gently ribs Piers Corbyn and a bunch of anonymous politicians for confusing global warming with immediate weather - which is not wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom