• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Turns out those so worried about their future couldn't be bothered to vote on it

[IMG ]http://i.4cdn.org/pol/1466885120745.jpg[/IMG]

36%, bravo

Getting a little sick of the "blame the young for not voting" rhetoric. Young people are exactly that - young, irresponsible, and have poor foresight. It seems immensely unsympathetic to tell someone their future was sold out because they were too hungover to vote when they were 18.

We're not a third world, war torn country, so it's not a lot to ask that massive decisions where the effects are mostly left to the future generation are treated with the utmost care and respect.

Outcomes like this are one of the many reasons why Direct Democracy isn't a thing.

Turns out those so worried about their future couldn't be bothered to vote on it

1466885120745.jpg

36%, bravo

This is fucking stupid. Of course youth engagement in politics is low, outside the educated/currently in education section of society, the youth of this country have little to no contact with day to day politics. They literally have been taught not to concentrate on these things and let their elders take care of it.

If you want to throw shade, throw shade at the 24-35 age group. At that point you should have enough experience of the world to form a political opinion, understand the voting process and how important your voice needs to be heard. The group that should be the driving economic and political force in this country only managed to represent 58%.

Tak3n

Banned
radio 5 being critical of osbourne.

He has done a disappearing act. Did not get his own way and has simply gone to ground

kmag

Ah fuck another contract cancelled at this rate I'll have to work for those fuckwits in gogarburn again

If there's an indication of the panic in London at the moment it's that some poor project manager is emailing me at 11 o'clock on a Saturday night and it's not about a failure or intrusion

Hasney

But a coalition was exactly what fucked them up. If they get partnered with the Tories again, those EU promises go right down the drain for a flash of power.
Lib Dems already played their hand, they can't be trusted.

Not really, there's a lot of Tories that want to stay in the EU even if it's clearly not all of them. A term of the coalition could be to stay in the EU when at which point they can just blame the Lib Dems for keeping us in the EU.

Anyway, went to their website and it looks like they're really going to go full steam ahead on the EU issue. It might be a very smart play if they become the default party that's just the opposite of UKIP and almost a one policy party.

Carl2291

1466885120745.jpg

36%, bravo
Not surprised in the slightest.

Why go out and vote when you can sit in and watch Jeremy Kyle, get fingered behind Tesco or worry more about how many likes you can get on Facebook in your snap back?

Youth today doesn't give a fuck.

Conan-san

yThe

They could just ignore the vote and remain. Didn't we do this to Hamas a few years ago? I know the situation is not the same, but the votes are not binding. Dutch government does it all the time. The people vent their anger by voting against their own wishes and the Dutch government just goes lol. Nothing happens after that, people are happy they voted and everyone goes back to their ps4 and reality shows.

The difference is that the EU will probably have more than a few choice words to say on the matter and they will keep kicking England up the arse until such time as not even the Black Jack of Proctologists could save their buttocks.

kmag

He has done a disappearing act. Did not get his own way and has simply gone to ground
There's fuckall he can say which wouldn't cause a panic the best thing at the moment is radio silence until people wrap their heads around the implications

I'm starting to think nothing will happen. Everyone seems too chicken shit to actually be the one to pull the trigger.

EU will probably publicly state their draft terms of the brexit which will basically be something like:

1. UK Banking Licenses mean shit in the EU (non-negotiable)
2. If UK accepts Freedom of movement and Schengen -> Access to single market
3. If Uk does not accept Freedom of movement of Schengen -> WTO terms

If this happen UK will be forced to respond or otherwise the financial industry will just start moving out.

Tak3n

Banned
Not really, there's a lot of Tories that want to stay in the EU even if it's clearly not all of them. A term of the coalition could be to stay in the EU when at which point they can just blame the Lib Dems for keeping us in the EU.

Anyway, went to their website and it looks like they're really going to go full steam ahead on the EU issue. It might be a very smart play if they become the default party that's just the opposite of UKIP and almost a one policy party.

They would not be taking advantage of the situation at all would they....this kind of nonsense is not helpful at all...it just serves to bring more disconnect.

Tosyn_88

That exact behavior is the reason why UK will not be welcomed into the EU even if they want in.

EU is a concept that started with the recognition that the european states dont want war ever again and that there are issues in this world that a nation state cant tackle alone. that also means that they have to work together and cooperation is impossible without trust.

A country that acts only to its self interest will leave the union as soon as the interest of that country doesnt align with the union and thats exactly what the EU does not want.

This!!!! Lots of leave voters are right wing by mindset and that's usually selfish by nature, I have never seen a right wing person ever consider any issue beyond what's best for themselves. The environment isn't any of their concern, let them frack for all they care, if it brings money and food to them, it's all game, they may as well sell slaves too, they won't care.

What they seem to instantly forget is that by trying to fracture the union, they have put themselves in a position where the UK has to walk on egg shells to avoid war with any of the neighbours. Those who forget history are bound to repeat the same dumb as decision

Nokterian

1466885120745.jpg

36%, bravo

Both are to blame..the youth not giving a damn and even people voting for not knowing why they voted but it happend. See the google search after it happend and the older people racing in fear to vote leave. Seeing pictures now on facebook that in 1 day racism is ahead of it..pretty disgusting. This shouldn't happen in a way but it did and turned out terrible. We needed a democracy EU not a bureaucracy since that what it is mostly and well i think brussels got a slap in the nuts..the EU needs to change that's for sure.

And why do you expect any of them to bother? 52% set the country on fire, so let the leaver politicians sort that shit out.

In all seriousness he's likely behind the scenes. It's not really his job to be a PR master.

1466885120745.jpg

36%, bravo

Is that actually national turnout by age group? Or some sky poll turnout estimate or something else?
If that's the national turnout or something like it then well wow, that rather puts a new complexion on things doesn't it.

Zaph

They would not be taking advantage of the situation at all would they....this kind of nonsense is not helpful at all...it just serves to bring more disconnect.

I would say things are already pretty fucking disconnected, mate. I really don't think you Leavers understand the true extent of what you've done - right now any possible solution is on the table.

SuperSah

Banned
It's becoming fairly apparent they never wanted to actually leave, they knew how fucked the country would be if it happened, especially for their own self-interests. They must have known Cameron was going to go on a leave vote too, but they never believed it would happen.

This was supposed to be a ploy to get it close, say "rats, but look how great we did" and advance their own careers with it. Now they're fucked.

Yup.

PJV3

And why do you expect any of them to bother? 52% set the country on fire, so let the leaver politicians sort that shit out.

In all seriousness he's likely behind the scenes. It's not really his job to be a PR master.

Osborne should quit, Cameron should make a public appointment of Johnson or Gove to replace him.

To bring up this old chestnut...the tution fees betrayton of the Lib Dems was as follows:
21 Lib Dem MPs voted against, 27 Lib Dems voted for, 8 Lib Dems did not vote.

Of the 8 current Lib Dem MPs left 4 voted for (including former lead Clegg), 4 voted against (including current leader Farron). So one side lost about 6/8, the other about 7/8.

Feorax

1466885120745.jpg

36%, bravo

This goes a long way to explaining why, in the 10 years I've been able to cast a vote, I've never once voted for something that has ultimately gone on to win, and I've voted at every possible opportunity. My generation really are lazy cunts.

Genuinely makes me feel like I might as well not bother turning out for the next 20 years until the baby boomers finally die off.

Conan-san

But the youth saw what happens when you vote in the party you want; you get a nice shiny dagger lodged right into your spine whilst the party has four years on the throne and lets the Thatcher hores do the rape and pillaging act they would have done only with, I dunno, less walking on the grass.

The youth don't care anymore, they know they're going to be fucked over even if they all marched in Animal Farm style and the time it takes to get to the voting station is time they could spend biting the pillow for the next indecent assault.

kmag

EU will probably publicly state their draft terms of the brexit which will basically be something like:

If this happen UK will be forced to respond or otherwise the financial industry will just start moving out.
That's a point regardless of an article 50 declaration the Eu can easily fuck up the uk economy by leaking what they're going to do sans push back because there's no one in atm

A simple statement of a Eu banking passport is non negotiable without at least associate membership fucks London to a degree which is barely imaginable and sets the negiotations with that narrow context. What's the comeback from the uk there "no you can't" the worst case for say German car manufacturers is the wto rules they use for half the world they can live with that

trembli0s

Aren't exit polls by their nature more accurate than pre-election polls?

Once people show up you can get a pretty good snap shot of the who, what, when, of voting which is why political parties feverishly comb through the exit polls in the US, at least.

That said, fucking A, get out and vote. What did you have to do that was more important than voting for a once in a generation, if not longer, decision like this?

Pandy

That's so shit of them. The Indy Ref electrified young voters, having 16 and 18 years olds voting helped a lot there.
The awful state of both Remain and Leave campaigns will have had a lot to do with it, I'm sure. So much negativity on both sides. Although the truism that younger people are less likely to vote will have played its usual part too.

DiGiKerot

Is that actually national turnout by age group? Or some sky poll turnout estimate or something else?
If that's the national turnout or something like it then well wow, that rather puts a new complexion on things doesn't it.

Given that only works out to about 67% percent turnout across all brackets, as opposed to the 72% declared overall turnout, I'd have to say it's just based on polling data.

This goes a long way to explaining why, in the 10 years I've been able to cast a vote, I've never once voted for something that has ultimately gone on to win, and I've voted at every possible opportunity. My generation really are lazy cunts.

Genuinely makes me feel like I might as well not bother turning out for the next 20 years until the baby boomers finally die off.

You know that in General Elections you're voting for the leader of your constituency, right? Which means if you're in one that's traditionally not in line with your political beliefs then you'll likely never see someone you voted for in power.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Aren't exit polls by their nature more accurate than pre-election polls?

Once people show up you can get a pretty good snap shot of the who, what, when, of voting which is why political parties feverishly comb through the exit polls in the US, at least.

That said, fucking A, get out and vote. What did you have to do that was more important than voting for a once in a generation, if not longer, decision like this?

Don't forget it was a torrential downpour that day. My friend couldn't vote because they were stuck in 4 hours of traffic each way to work.

SuperSah

Banned

This will not happen.

The EU IS NOT allowed to make ANY decisions/negotiations at all until we make a formal and explicit decision as to Article 50.

Just looked up why the UK holds elections on a Thursday:

Election Day in the United Kingdom is by tradition a Thursday. It has been suggested that this tradition arose as the best of several circumstances: Friday pay-packets would lead to more drunken voters on Fridays and weekends; having the election as far after a Sunday as possible would reduce the influence of Sunday sermons; many towns held markets on Thursdays, thus the local population would be travelling to town that day anyway. Under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011, all future General Elections shall take place on the first Thursday in May every five years, barring special circumstances. Most other European countries hold all Elections on Sundays. Polls in the United Kingdom open at 7:00 and close at 22:00.

Insanity. And they even went back to make it official no more than 5 years ago.

1466885120745.jpg

36%, bravo

The youth tend to lean towards Labour, they're not going to get worked up when the campaign was mainly dominated by blue on blue nonsense and Farage. Labour didn't exactly help matters. Heck the MP who was shot dead did more in the afterlife than the whole Labour party put together.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...s-town-showered-eu-cash-votes-leave-ebbw-vale
Town showered with EU cash votes to leave EU

“What’s the EU ever done for us?” Zak Kelly, 21, asks me this standing next to a brand new complex of buildings and facilities that wouldn’t look out of place in Canary Wharf.
“Well, I know … they built all this,” he says, and motions his head at the impressive facilities that are all around us. “But we put in more money than we get out, don’t we?”
Wales isn’t just a net EU beneficiary, EU capital funding has been an essential part of attracting firms to come here. All around town are signs marked with the EU flag for the Ebbw Vale enterprise zone. The website notes that as an EU tier 1 area, “companies can benefit from the highest level of grant aid in the UK”. Earlier this year the sports car company TVR announced it would build a factory and create 150 jobs there. Will it still come? Will the Circuit of Wales, a multimillion-pound motor racing circuit a private company has been proposing to build on the town’s outskirts creating 6,000 jobs? Will the £1.8bn of EU cash promised to Wales for projects until 2020 still arrive? And what happens after? Will central government really give more money to Ebbw Vale than the EU has?

Even Kelly looks like he could be doubtful on this point.
Michael Sheen, the Welsh-born actor from Port Talbot, tweeted: “Wales votes to trust a new and more rightwing Tory leadership to invest as much money into its poorer areas as EU has been doing.”

“It is what it is,” says Kelly. “We’ll see, won’t we?”

This is incredibly disheartening. I feel bad for those communities.

Given that only works out to about 67% percent turnout across all brackets, as opposed to the 72% declared overall turnout, I'd have to say it's just based on polling data.

Regardless I looked and all prior polls and models have stated diminished turn out on this, vs younger age. So perhaps that will slow down the meme that old people screwed the pooch. Of course it won't but old, educated, stay voters should be kicking young asses right now.

avaya

Just a word on the movements on Friday - in equities the volume was fuelled by algos and hedge funds. The long only's, which hold the bulk of the positions have yet to adjust their positions. Future larger liquidations of positions are all but assured in the coming weeks.

Best

This will not happen.

The EU IS NOT allowed to make ANY decisions/negotiations at all until we make a formal and explicit decision as to Article 50.

I'm sure some German finance minister or whatever can tell the Guardian and Times whatever he 'thinks' might happen.

Or it 'leaks'.

This is all going to be backroom deals until we end up staying or a Norway deal if push comes to shove

slider

Just looked up why the UK holds elections on a Thursday:

Insanity. And they even went back to make it official no more than 5 years ago.

In Colombia, and other places too I'm sure, no one's permitted to sell alcohol leading up to and during election weekends!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
This will not happen.

Rest assured the EU has already drafted it's own decisions and is essentially going in this to show the UK the papers to sign or leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom