• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep this is exactly what she is doing.
But I hate her with all my guts because she is the one person in the entire government who has made my life difficult.

I don't like her on a gut instinct level. But Home Sec is a pretty tough gig and to have lasted as long as she has speaks of her resilience.

Absolutely. I'm no fan of her either, but even I have to concede she is one of the most shrewd and formidable operators in parliament today, even long before the coalition came about. Clearly she has the ambition, and as much as I never want to see this happen, she has what it takes to be Prime Minister.

Lime

The more this vote is associated with Trump the worse. It connects him with a win and without the onus of dealing with the dire consequences of that victory. You're just putting wind on his sails.

Fine, Marie Le Pen then.

The result has certainly emboldened the far-right, there's no denying that.

darkwing

fis3wGQ.jpg

Views on climate change is a good litmus test for any politician whether you agree with their other views or not. These opinions are not a good indicator that UK is in good hands.

who voted for them yikes

Pandy

UKIP already has a lot of votes and it translates into 1 MP under FPTP
If you think that's anything like what they would get in the scenario described you're thinking much more positively than I.
Someone would need to do analysis of the referendum regions versus consituency areas, but anywhere near 35-50% of the vote would net them a shit-tonne more seats, and thats what they'd get in England if they campaigned to deliver the Brexit that was denied to voters by the Conservative leadership.

Bold One

Does she give you nightmares of a Thatcher?

Think Thatcher, but more willing throw thousands overboard/ under the bus to satisfy peanut gallery.

oh and don't forget her V for Vendetta style of authoritarian approach to personal privacy, seriously, fuck that ghoul.

Does she give you nightmares of a Thatcher?

My understanding is, even before this clusterfuck of a vote, that the current adminstration has already made decisions that are far worse in the long run than anything Thatcher did.

I haven't really researched this to see if it is true and honestly it sounds like hyperbole, I will admit.

But yeah, regardless, May is very bad news.

Biggzy

Heard Citigroup might be moving wholesale as in pretty much everything but it could just be rumours Lord knows there's enough of that
Of course I usually work for bankers I don't work in banking, it is usually a bit behind strategic stuff

I have said it before in this thread. Say what you will about the financial sector but the treasury gets a shit ton of revenue from it that will be extremely hard to plug if it falls dramatically.

But of course, I forgot about that 350 million pounds that we will save to offset it.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
FS moves likely in my opinion

Banks - Frankfurt, Paris, Dublin
Hedge Funds - Paris, Switzerland, Milan, NY
Private Equity - Switzerland, NY
Asset Managers - Paris, Frankfurt, Switzerland

The secondary effect of this is that law, accounting and other services firms that were dependent on these firms and the banks will also end up moving their bases.

Back and middle office jobs for these companies will probably have their ops entirely closed in the UK with very few staff being offered positions in the new office move, they are jobs which are more readily replaceable.

All of this is why the UK will bend over backwards for the passport because this level of job loss would crater London.

Remember timeframe as well. The longer things take (including the negotiation itself), the more of this will come to fruition. I heard some conservatives on the BBC saying it may take years, some even saying they wanted to delay the trigger for a year or so before starting negotiating, which they hoped itself would take 2 years. Unrealistic and catastrophic.

Zelias

Banned
I once met a 50 something woman a few weeks ago who was talking about the referendum, she mentioned that their generation wants to leave but she has to think of her children's future too.
My parents (in their 60s) voted Leave and my dad's justification for me was essentially 'Remain is good for your generation but the EU is all you know, for us who remember the time before Leave is better'. Perfect example of the 'fuck you got mine' attitude amongst his generation.

Joe

Hmmm.

The second one at least is taken very severely out of context. In context, it is part of an article that gently ribs Piers Corbyn and a bunch of anonymous politicians for confusing global warming with immediate weather - which is not wrong.
Thanks for that! Taking quotes out of context like that is a good litmus test for publications....

Best

If you think that's anything like what they would get in the scenario described you're thinking much more positively than I.
Someone would need to do analysis of the referendum regions versus consituency areas, but anywhere near 35-50% of the vote would net them a shit-tonne more seats, and thats what they'd get in England if they campaigned to deliver the Brexit that was denied to voters by the Conservative leadership.

Some soft leavers won't ever vote for UKIP. The idea of Brexit is going to change as well, from the fairytale that was sold to the actual reality.

avaya

The question though is, why should EU care? UK is not a member anymore. Why should EU allow a offshore financial centre that gets all the money of the european union but that they cannot regulate so that a third country does not go into recession?

Who says they will not be able to regulate it? The UK will pay much more into the EU budget amongst many other things in order to make sure it will protect these jobs.

Tosyn_88

My parents (in their 60s) voted Leave and my dad's justification for me was essentially 'Remain is good for your generation but the EU is all you know, for us who remember the time before Leave is better'. Perfect example of the 'fuck you got mine' attitude amongst his generation.

I'm sure he's thinking the UK can go pillage it's colonial riches to cover the cost that's needed to ensure all the industries are working as intended. Let's do a time trip, plenty of colonial subjects got their independence around 1920-60 if I'm correct, that's not very far from where we are now

Absolutely terrifying.

Tens of thousands of people die in the UK each year from air pollution. It's not as exciting as the occasional terrorist attack so no-one gives a shit.

Soon even bicycle infrastructure and public transport will be seen as 'too European' to be worth investing in.
Did you say air pollution? That brings us right back to Boris:
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ack-negative-findings-of-air-pollution-report

"We voted to remove immigrants, but they're still here!"
"So now, I'm voting for real change. ".

*Ticks the box that says "Destroy the NHS"*
Formage: Those immigrants. They work for one company called the NHS. If we destroy this company they won't have jobs and will go home or starve to death or something.

UKIP already has a lot of votes and it translates into 1 MP under FPTP
Yeah the UKIP manifesto is as mad as that Konami E3 conferance. The best thing is Farage didn't even know the contents when pressed on some of the matters such as painting trains in national colours and taxi driver uniform policy.

avaya

Heard Citigroup might be moving wholesale as in pretty much everything but it could just be rumours Lord knows there's enough of that
Of course I usually work for bankers I don't work in banking, it is usually a bit behind strategic stuff

You'd think the non Eu parented orgs will be the first to move especially the yanks they've always seemed a bit touchy about regulatory complicance at least on my side of things half my business is security audits for us firms

I heard the same Citi rumours from friends this morning :/

I have said it before in this thread. Say what you will about the financial sector but the treasury gets a shit ton of revenue from it that will be extremely hard to plug if it falls dramatically.

But of course, I forgot about that 350 million pounds that we will save to offset it.

The tax revenue number is closer to £100bn i believe.

FS moves likely in my opinion

Banks - Frankfurt, Paris, Dublin
Hedge Funds - Paris, Switzerland, Milan, NY
Private Equity - Switzerland, NY
Asset Managers - Paris, Frankfurt, Switzerland

The secondary effect of this is that law, accounting and other services firms that were dependent on these firms and the banks will also end up moving their bases.

Back and middle office jobs for these companies will probably have their ops entirely closed in the UK with very few staff being offered positions in the new office move, they are jobs which are more readily replaceable.

All of this is why the UK will bend over backwards for the passport because this level of job loss would crater London.

The upshot of Brexit: housing costs in London fall. lol! :S

Biggzy

I heard the same Citi rumours from friends this morning :/

The tax revenue number is closer to £100bn i believe.

I think it is between £70-£100 billion. So as you can see, the EU holds basically all the cards for when we do decide to inform the EU of our withdrawal.

Anyone thinking of leaving England for good over this result?

I never thought I would say this, but I am considering it. If Scotland ever becomes independent, I might decide to head up there.

nOoblet16

Which would be the best Euro country to move to in your opinion? Been a Londoner my whole life, but this whole mess has got me thinking about my future.

Why Germany, Luxembourg or Netherlands ofcourse.
Spain, Italy, Portugal are just good for Holiday, plus you won't have the language issue that you will in France.

fhqwhgads

Turns out those so worried about their future couldn't be bothered to vote on it

1466885120745.jpg

36%, bravo
This is not going to end well. Instead of getting any intelligent discussion on how Leave managed to win, people will just default to "lol stupid kids" and call it a day. That's just as dismissive as blaming the Leave victory on "uneducated old people"

LoveCake

I don't the irony? Until just before referendum campaigning started wasn't he quite pro EU?

The majority of Londoners voted to remain in the EU and the majority of Londoners voted in Boris as mayor twice, the first time was a landslide I think, Boris was basically the face of the official leave campaign, there were different people voting for him of course, but there must have been a overlap.

I am not sure about him being pro-EU ( don't know), as a normal MP he did get on TV a lot as something of a buffoon, but he is a smart bloke or he wouldn't be where he is now, but his dad was a MEP and very pro-EU.

kmag

We've got similar drinking habits

I've never had a problem with the poles good bunch of lads and lassies. Work hard get the job done play hard and they'd literally run through a wall for you if you do them a good turn. I remember working with a polish lassie who was hands down the best UNIX admin I've ever met i mean she was meticulous and super detailed you could point at a box and she'd be able to tell everything which had happened to it since commissioning. She was getting 14k in the city we put a quiet word in with some folks I knew (doing them the favour really) and she still wouldn't move until they had completed a systems upgrade round. She's in the US now working for an oil firm in Houston.

avaya

The majority of Londoners voted to remain in the EU and the majority of Londoners voted in Boris as mayor twice, the first time was a landslide I think, Boris was basically the face of the official leave campaign, there were different people voting for him of course, but there must have been a overlap.

I am not sure about him being pro-EU ( don't know), as a normal MP he did get on TV a lot as something of a buffoon, but he is a smart bloke or he wouldn't be where he is now, but his dad was a MEP and very pro-EU.

Boris is pro-EU, his decision to back leave was transparent self interest in order to secure him self the rabid vote for tory leadership.

Bold One

No he was super pro EU, he even advocated for Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom