• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unfinished Swan |OT| Paint your own Journey !

UFRA

The trophies for this game are pretty reasonable. Gonna try for 100%.

I hope there's a balloon finding guide at some point though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The trophies for this game are pretty reasonable. Gonna try for 100%.

I hope there's a balloon finding guide at some point though.

No need. Pretty easy to find with the appropriate toy. Let it be your first purchase so you can collect most of them in your first playthrough.

Dantis

Just finished this. One of my favourite downloadable games ever. Enjoyed it more than Journey, Limo, Tokyo Jungle, Sound Shapes etc.

Really amazing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Looks great but... $15 for a 2 hour game... I'll wait for a real sale. sigh :( I just can't support this kind of entertainment to dollar ratio in gaming

StuBurns

Banned
Looks great but... $15 for a 2 hour game... I'll wait for a real sale. sigh :( I just can't support this kind of entertainment to dollar ratio in gaming
While I did finish it in a little under two hours, I got another 90mins out of balloon hunting.

Carl

If you're measuring your games as "entertainment to dollar ratio" you're doing it wrong.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
When journalists use the phrase "tour de force" they have no fucking idea what they are talking about.

Also, is there a demo yet? The mixed reviews put me off.

I'm stuck at the
beginning of the labyrinth. No clue what to do here. Only dead ends around the closed portal with the crown on top...

I feel dumb :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If you're measuring your games as "entertainment to dollar ratio" you're doing it wrong.

In general I agree, but there are obviously limits to that philosophy. For example, a game would have to be better than any game I've ever played by a wide margin to be worth 60 dollars for 1 hour. No such game exists for me as far as I know. Because valuation is subjective, there are surely people for whom 2 hours of game cannot possibly be worth 15 dollars to them. Seems fair to me.

Carl

Okay, guys. The Unfinished Swan is amazing. Really, really amazing. I'm at the end of chapter 2... I'm just blown away. I love it.

So far, it definitely tops even Journey. It's beautiful. Really.

StuBurns

Banned
Anyone know how to hunt down missing storybook pages?

EDIT: NM, found the one I was missing. All the achievements done, bar Minimalism, which I almost certainly won't be bothering with.

Toppot

I think the asking price is a bit much. The game is very short, even if you collect everything it is still quite short.

The gameplay however is original and interesting. Going though levels having to 'feel' your way through with paint is an interesting experience. I could see a similar game using echolocation represented by waves to get the same effect.

The third chapter is very clever, reminds me a lot of
Q.U.B.E.
. The game really makes you go 'Wow!'. The level design is clever and uses the mechanics well.

Reminds me a lot of Portal 2, lots of interesting gameplay mechanics that aren't elaborated on enough especially
when you add in things like the invisible steps at the end of the prototype level
. The game could of been so much longer and still interesting, but I appreciate this is from a small team.

Some of the balloons are deviously hidden, but as said earlier a toy helps a lot with them. I would also say that with a DS3 you can just tap any 2 of the shoulder buttons quickly (Like R1 + R2) and you will get rapid fire without having to buy the hose.

It is a nice arty game that you play for the experience, it is refreshing and original. I do think the asking price is too much but it is very well made. I look forward to whats next from Giant Sparrow.

Carl

Okay, i finished it. Loved the first and second parts. Didn't like the start of part 3, but then it became my favourite.

Chapter 4 was a meh.

So just to make sure i'm understanding this right
the whole thing was a dream...

StuBurns

Banned
I think the story was complete crap, that's one of the things holding it back from that top tier for me. It's an inventive and beautiful game, with nothing to say.

I actually think the unnerving/cold tone of the
prototype
was cooler.

Carl

I think the story was complete crap, that's one of the things holding it back from that top tier for me. It's an inventive and beautiful game, with nothing to say.

Yeah that's a good way of putting it. I enjoyed the game; hell, i think i enjoyed it as much as Journey, if not more, on a pure gameplay scale. But the story was crap. Didn't really make any sense and had nowhere near the emotional connection as Journey. Not that it was supposed to, of course, but still.

And i loved the
Journey reference

I don't view Journey as having much of a story either. It was an emotional...journey, for sure, but I don't know if there was anything even resembling a plot or any kind of character development or so forth. Does this game actually have a story, or is it along the same lines?

StuBurns

Banned
And i loved the
Journey reference
The strangest thing about that was a few days ago, I went back and finished Datura, and at the end of that game
you see your PSN avatar in a mirror, and my PSN avatar is that same reincarnation mountain

I also didn't like the start of Act 3, but found the rest of it to be the best of the game.

Wow, bitching about 15 bucks for a 2 hour game? I must be an idiot for paying 14 to see a movie then...

So interested in this, will have to hold off just because well, I'm broke & I still haven't even started Tokyo Jungle.

Himself

Just played the first chapter. Feeling pretty underwhelmed. Let's see where this goes...

Edit: Wow. The second chapter is pretty excellent. Lots of cool Nintendo-esque whimsy going on. Also makes me wonder what would have happened if the Katamari guy had the chance to make his first-person game.

Carl

The strangest thing about that was a few days ago, I went back and finished Datura, and at the end of that game
you see your PSN avatar in a mirror, and my PSN avatar is that same reincarnation mountain

I also didn't like the start of Act 3, but found the rest of it to be the best of the game.

Heh that's pretty cool, i never actually finished Datura.

And yeah, the start of Chapter 3 seems very... i dunno. It changes the mechanics a bit too much for my liking. And it's weird to suddenly be very limited in where you can go
having to stay in the light and having to keep the sodding ball rolling in the right direction...and trying to keep up with it when it rolls off down a hill
. But yeah, once that bit is out of the way it's brilliant.

Endo Punk

Pushing through desite motion sickness. I really like the game, story reminds me of Roald Dahl. Not as magical as Journey but certainly another beautiful experience.

Dantis

Okay, i finished it. Loved the first and second parts. Didn't like the start of part 3, but then it became my favourite.

Chapter 4 was a meh.

So just to make sure i'm understanding this right
the whole thing was a dream...

It's ambiguous.

Personally, I loved chapter 4.

Hanmik

It´s a really great game.. the first chapter did nothing for me.. it was more boring than fun. But from chapter 2 and untill the end I LOVED IT.. especially the last chapter was perfect for me.. such a nice way to end a game..

will make a review later today.. (for some strange reason we only got the review code a couple of days ago)..

snap0212

It´s a really great game.. the first chapter did nothing for me.. it was more boring than fun. But from chapter 2 and untill the end I LOVED IT..
Awesome. I just finished the first couple of levels and am not really hooked on it. I was worried this game might just not be for me but I'll definitely keep playing. :

UFRA

No need. Pretty easy to find with the appropriate toy. Let it be your first purchase so you can collect most of them in your first playthrough.

I feel dumb lol.

Yeah I unlocked the Balloon Radar today, now I'm on Chapter 3 and have 100% balloons collected so far. :D

T-0800

Bought this today and have played for about 30 minutes. Amazing game and an amazing experience.

Possibly the best visuals I've ever seen.

Endo Punk

Deleted! I can't do it, the game is not working for me and the first person view is just getting in the way. I'm not gonna say it disappointed me I just don't feel I have what it takes to play through it all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Deleted! I can't do it, the game is not working for me and the first person view is just getting in the way. I'm not gonna say it disappointed me I just don't feel I have what it takes to play through it all.

You mean you feel motion sickness? Try with Move. Camera moves less and you can splat the environment more broadly without too much effort.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
CepPyBoy said:

You should stick with it/
I only found motion-sickness to be an issue on the first chapter, chapter 2 was fine.

Not played past that yet, but am really impressed so far, both in a gameplay/mood sense, and technically. Its really quite clever in an understated way, the paint splatter
and the growing vines
are particularly well done effects. Its nice to see another experimental / indie type game that absolutely couldn't be done on retro hardware.

Looking forward to finishing it later.

StuBurns

Banned
I wish it ran better, it is impressive, but it'd be more impressive it held 30 perfectly. You can buckle act 2 really easily.

Endo Punk

I reached my threshold. Went so far that my stomach began churning and I felt really dizzy. Some of the effects also felt jarring, I was at the
vine growing part where it just looked off, and I noticed slow downs and such
. Good game Im sure but defiintely not one for me, glad I supported it though. I like Giant Sparrow and look forward to their next game, and it's not like I liked TGC first title either despite being quite interesting.

All over this like white on rice. Amazing visual style, innovative intriguing and fun-looking gameplay, someone at Sony had an eye for quality.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I played Chapter 1 last night. I dig the idea but I hope there's some more variety in the levels.

Don't worry about that. Games pulls something new out of the hat every 10 minutes or so. It's the opposite of repetitive.

Top Bottom