• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unfinished Swan |OT| Paint your own Journey !

Hanmik

Wait for
chapter 3. Frame rate goes belly up there.

The chapter with the first vines is the worst.. I had no idea that you could climb them, so I just kept making them grow and grow and grow and grow.. it almost broke the game .. there was vines all over the place, it literally went down to 5fps or something like that.

Carl

The chapter with the first vines is the worst.. I had no idea that you could climb them, so I just kept making them grow and grow and grow and grow.. it almost broke the game .. there was vines all over the place, it literally went down to 5fps or something like that.

Took me a while
to work out you could climb them, but i didn't make it quite that bad, lol. I made them grow a fair bit, then sort of stumbled onto the fact that you could climb them

Dantis

As i said earlier, it definitely does from a gameplay POV, for me anyway. Story-wise, no.

I enjoyed it more in terms of gameplay and story. Journey was an incredible looking game, but there was nothing to it beyond that. Its story was (Deliberately, obviously) completely bare-bones.

Foshy

Just finished this, beautiful game in a similar way like Journey was, yet completely different. The
Journey easteregg
was completely unexpected for me, I smiled when I saw it.

I managed to keep the framerate pretty stable, by the way.

Carl

I enjoyed it more in terms of gameplay and story. Journey was an incredible looking game, but there was nothing to it beyond that. Its story was (Deliberately, obviously) completely bare-bones.

Well, it wasn't. There was a story and you could relate it to things like the journey of life, and it was lovely. Unfished Swan's story is confusing, to say the least.

Hanmik

Well, it wasn't. There was a story and you could relate it to things like the journey of life, and it was lovely. Unfished Swan's story is confusing, to say the least.

hmm... so you think Journey´s story (the one you have to make for yourself, it is not described in any way in the game except by the player emotions) is less confusing than Unfinished swan (which is told in storybook form (like a fairytale for kids) all the way through the game)..?

hmm..

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hmm... so you think Journey´s story (the one you have to make for yourself, it is not described in any way in the game except by the player emotions) is less confusing than Unfinished swan (which is told in storybook form (like a fairytale for kids) all the way through the game)..?

hmm..

I guess it would be fair to say the "meaning" or "message" in Journey is clearer than that in The Unfinished Swan.

At the end of Journey you felt something rightaway. At the end of The Unfinished Swan you are so confused u don't know how to feel. :D

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just finished it. Took me the same time as Journey. I was thoroughly engaged all the way.

I wonder if it's motion sickness I had but I also felt a bit queasy while playing it. That usually never happens to me.

Ein Bear

Absolutely outstanding game, loved every second of it. Sony are doing a wonderful job supporting this sort of thing. Haven't been this drawn in by a game for a long time, the whole thing was such an enchanting experience, like a storybook. Was very impressed with the visuals too, some of the stuff was absolutely breathtaking.

Do wish it was slightly longer though. It took me about an hour and a quarter to play through, which did feel a bit too short, even for a small digital release.

Carl

hmm..

I guess it would be fair to say the "meaning" or "message" in Journey is clearer than that in The Unfinished Swan.

At the end of Journey you felt something rightaway. At the end of The Unfinished Swan you are so confused u don't know how to feel. :D

Yeah pretty much what TTP said :) The meaning of Journey is much more powerful than Unfinished Swan;s, too

Do wish it was slightly longer though. It took me about an hour and a quarter to play through, which did feel a bit too short, even for a small digital release.

Wow you must have sped through it. Took me about 3 hours.

Dantis

Yeah pretty much what TTP said :) The meaning of Journey is much more powerful than Unfinished Swan;s, too

Gonna have to disagree here. Journey didn't really have a meaning, it just evoked emotions through its terrific visuals.

Schlomo

Played the first two parts yesterday, beautiful game. But why is there an aiming dot in the center of the screen even if you play with Move? The balloon radar is also too distracting, so I won't use it until my second playthrough.

Endo Punk

Well not all experiments work judging by the mix response from critics. Swan was fun but didn't hold my attention for long, Journey was genuinely an awe-inspiring experience. Im expecting big things from Giant Sparrow, hopefully they go from strength to strength like TGC did from Flow to Flower to Journey.

Hanmik

How do you get the
blueprint box ones? I know how to get a box but I don't see how I can throw it up in the air as much as required

Same here .. would like to know .. and
and how do you get the minimalist trophy..? going through the first level only using 3 paintballs..? how is that possible..?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
and how do you get the minimalist trophy..? going through the first level only using 3 paintballs..? how is that possible..?

Some tips.
Listen to the sound of your steps as well as of the surroundings to figure out where you are.

Once you have splattered something, proceed by walking backwards so that you can use that as a reference point for longer. Same with the swan footprints.

You can't fall into the lake nor you need to jump to walk across the stones, so upon exiting the first area go towards the swan footprints without fear of "death".

Hanmik

Some tips.
Listen to the sound of your steps as well as of the surroundings to figure out where you are.

Once you have splattered something, proceed by walking backwards so that you can use that as a reference point for longer. Same with the swan footprints.

You can't fall into the lake nor you need to jump to walk across the stones, so upon exiting the first area go towards the swan footprints without fear of death.

I tried for about an half hour yesterday (without sound though, wife was sleeping).. I just could not do it.. would have been nice to have you help me coop like in Journey, that was really fun ..!

nofi

It's actually really, really easy.
you can't fall into anything, and the path is actually a series of (mostly) right angles. just draw a map first if you need to, and just keep walking until you hit something. if you've done it right you'll know which way to turn. the only tricky bit is the staircases, everything else is marked with gold.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I tried for about an half hour yesterday (without sound though, wife was sleeping).. I just could not do it.. would have been nice to have you help me coop like in Journey, that was really fun ..!

Yeah, you need sound. It helps a lot. For example, if you don't hear footsteps, it means you are not moving (doh!) and therefore that you are blocked by an obstacle. :)

Did you get the
blueprint box ones
Nofi? If so, how?

Hanmik

Yeah, you need sound. It helps a lot. For example, if you don't hear footsteps, it means you are not moving (doh!) and therefore that you are blocked by an obstacle. :)

Did you get the
blueprint box ones
Nofi? If so, how?

just found this :
Have Sniper/Block Pick up unlocked. Go to "Home" in chapter 3. Make a small block then pick it up, look straight up, press triangle to switch to sniper, then press square to throw immediately followed by R1 to shoot.... then you will have both distance trophies.

I´m at work, so can´t try it.. please try and tell me if it works..

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
just found this :
Have Sniper/Block Pick up unlocked. Go to "Home" in chapter 3. Make a small block then pick it up, look straight up, press triangle to switch to sniper, then press square to throw immediately followed by R1 to shoot.... then you will have both distance trophies.

I´m at work, so can´t try it.. please try and tell me if it works..

I tried that already but didn't work. Will try again and let you know.

Perhaps I need to enter sniper mode before throwing the box (I was doing the opposite - throw > switch to sniper > fire).

Hanmik

I tried that already but didn't work. Will try again and let you know.

Perhaps I need to enter sniper mode before throwing the box (I was doing the opposite - throw > switch to sniper > fire).

yeah sounds like you need to try that.. I haven´t even used that
sniper
yet, couldn´t find any use for it..

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
yeah sounds like you need to try that.. I haven´t even used that
sniper
yet, couldn´t find any use for it..

I did it.
It's glitchy tho. Sometimes it bounces off. Other times it doesn't (falls back down no matter what). Just keep trying and it will work eventually. Pick up > point up > sniper (triangle) > R1 x2. Be sure you fire while the box it going up, possibly when it's close to reaching the apex - got it to work more often like that

moozoom

I feel the same way, at the end, I still waited for another chapter to become available because I didn't feel the story was really "complete". The "storybook" presentation made me feel like the game (and the travel of the boy) was a metaphor for another deeper story, but at the end, I couldn't tell you what it is.

For me Journey is perfectly clear, between the hieroglyph/iconic story segments and the progression of the game the story is very simple to grasp. It can be read on two levels : ending spoilers
One is the story of a civilisation that harnessed nature's power for war and ended itself, the other is a metaphor of life/death and friendship/love
At least that's what I take from it.

I loved Unfinished Swan, but I was more "Oh, that's clever" or "that's pretty", it didn't have the same emotional impact Journey had on me. But at the same time I don't think they wanted to be as dramatic... The game is lighter-toned and that's ok, I just wish the ending was more fulfilling.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I feel the same way, at the end, I still waited for another chapter to become available because I didn't feel the story was really "complete". The "storybook" presentation made me feel like the game (and the travel of the boy) was a metaphor for another deeper story, but at the end, I couldn't tell you what it is.

For me Journey is perfectly clear, between the hieroglyph/iconic story segments and the progression of the game the story is very simple to grasp. It can be read on two levels : ending spoilers
One is the story of a civilisation that harnessed nature's power for war and ended itself, the other is a metaphor of life/death and friendship/love
At least that's what I take from it.

I loved Unfinished Swan, but I was more "Oh, that's clever" or "that's pretty", it didn't have the same emotional impact Journey had on me. But at the same time I don't think they wanted to be as dramatic... The game is lighter-toned and that's ok, I just wish the ending was more fulfilling.

Yeah, I don't think "emotional response" was what they were going after (unike TGC). The Unfinished Swan is more "meaty"/varied gamplay-wise compared to Journey tho.

On a side note,
the first room you enter after having met the kind? The pencil-draw one with the mirror? OMG, that looked amazing. I was expecting the whole chapter to look like that but it was just that room :/

Hanmik

Yeah, I don't think "emotional response" was what they were going after (unike TGC). The Unfinished Swan is more "meaty"/varied gamplay-wise compared to Journey tho.

On a side note,
the first room you enter after having met the kind? The pencil-draw one with the mirror? OMG, that looked amazing. I was expecting the whole chapter to look like that but it was just that room :/

I spent a lot of time in that room..(couldn´t find the balloon).. it is just amazingly well done..

StuBurns

Banned
With the rocket achievements, it's important not to spam the balls when shooting because you'll erase the box before it gets high enough.

nofi

Nobody else found the second (and much better)
journey
reference? It's in
the credits
section.

StuBurns

Banned
I feel like the sun at the end is a reference to something, it's eerily familiar.

EDIT: Still can't find it, I only see three windows accessible with the vines, and none of them have it.

Hanmik

It's at the
vines
section, through one of the
windows as yo crawl along the wall before going up
. It's amazing.

I´m confused..?
credits section - Vines..? where is that..? I spotted a telescope that I couldn´t reach where you open for the water first time you find the vines.. is it around that place..?

Choc

Banned
ok im guessing i am alone in this but this game just gave me major motion sickness to the point of vomit

which is werid because i travel fine, fly fine and games usually ok. haven't been motion sick in 15 years or so from games.

:|

:(

ok im guessing i am alone in this but this game just gave me major motion sickness to the point of vomit

which is werid because i travel fine, fly fine and games usually ok. haven't been motion sick in 15 years or so from games.

:|

:(
It did the same to me. First first-person game in many years that's made me physically ill, which is a shame because I'm enjoying it otherwise. I played through the first two sections and had to stop. I do think it's just the first all white/black section that does it. Maybe that's one of the reasons they kept that part fairly short.

StuBurns

Banned
I´m confused..?
credits section - Vines..? where is that..? I spotted a telescope that I couldn´t reach where you open for the water first time you find the vines.. is it around that place..?
He means in the last act, the end of the first chapter specifically. I still can't find the reference though.

nofi

He means in the last act, the end of the first chapter specifically. I still can't find the reference though.

Really?
It's through one of the windows. It's really obvious when you see it but if you're going quick (or not quick enough) it'll get covered. You need to look through.

I'll make a vid if you're still stuck.

StuBurns

Banned
Really?
It's through one of the windows. It's really obvious when you see it but if you're going quick (or not quick enough) it'll get covered. You need to look through.

I'll make a vid if you're still stuck.
And you can do it every time? You don't have to have finished the act before and seen the other reference or anything?

EDIT: Actually, that would make no sense as it always returns you to the menu after each act, never mind.

Carl

Yeah i can't find it either. Can only see three windows in that section...And can't see that thing in any of them

Carl

So have i. Tried every window you can possibly reach and looked through all of them

You sure you weren't dreaming. Nofi? :p

nofi

I can't even see circular portals, let alone reach any.

Uploading a pic now. It's not actually a portal - that was my memory - hang on 2 mins.

Right. Look:

First link shows you where to go (ending SPOILERS if you click).

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/tus-secret-1.jpg

Second shows you what it looks like, although you need to see it for yourself really. If you catch it right you see
two Journey figures running

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/tus-secret-2.jpg

Top Bottom