• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unfinished Swan |OT| Paint your own Journey !

StuBurns

Banned
Makes me wonder what else is hidden in plain sight in that game.

I actually thought the more bold reference was too on the nose, but this is much better.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So can anyone comment on whether it's better playing with the Move controller?

It is, IMO.

This is a game where you "shoot" around *a lot*, almost constantly (especially in the first chapter), more so than in a traditional shooter.

Because of that, the main benefit is that with the Move you can splatter the path ahead of you more broadly without having to move the camera around like you would with a DS3.

That said, Move implementation could have been better. The simplicity of the controls/gameplay helps hiding that.

EDIT: Mind you the above is in reference to the Navi+Move combo. Playing with just a Move is cool option but you lose the ability to strafe, which I'd rather keep :)

Dantis

Just finished getting all the balloons.

I think this might actually be my favourite downloadable game ever. I love it. Chapter 4 is one of my favourite pieces of gaming from the entire generation.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TelemachusD said:
ok im guessing i am alone in this but this game just gave me major motion sickness to the point of vomit

which is werid because i travel fine, fly fine and games usually ok. haven't been motion sick in 15 years or so from games.

:|

:(

The first chapter got me too, I think its because the way the game works you are using the part of your brain that judges position based on spatial cues and of course as you aren't physically moving you get the inner-ear/brain disconnect that causes motion sickness.

I wonder how prevalent this effect was during testing and whether it led them to vary the design approach as a result.

From a cognitive standpoint this game is very interesting when you consider how your mind builds up a 3d sense of the world based purely on isolated splotches of shape and how they change based on virtual position and viewpoint. Its especially fascinating because everything works based on us extrapolating 2D outlines into dimensional solids mentally, and orientating ourselves based purely on that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The first chapter got me too, I think its because the way the game works you are using the part of your brain that judges position based on spatial cues and of course as you aren't physically moving you get the inner-ear/brain disconnect that causes motion sickness.

I wonder how prevalent this effect was during testing and whether it led them to vary the design approach as a result.

From a cognitive standpoint this game is very interesting when you consider how your mind builds up a 3d sense of the world based purely on isolated splotches of shape and how they change based on virtual position and viewpoint. Its especially fascinating because everything works based on us extrapolating 2D outlines into dimensional solids mentally, and orientating ourselves based purely on that.

Well, that, and also the fact that you tend to swing the camera much more frequently compared to traditional shooters due to the urge to spread out your splats as you go.

I mean, you don't walk through FPS looking all around you like a crazy monkey. You kinda do in The Unfinished Swan (at least when using the DS3).

Man

Been trying to buy this over the last few days on the New PS Store but I kept getting an error.
Too much work anyhow I guess. Backlog already has BL2, Dishonored, LBP Vita, Gravity Rush, Journey & compulsory trophy replay of MGS4.

You mean you feel motion sickness? Try with Move. Camera moves less and you can splat the environment more broadly without too much effort.

Oh, god, yes, I still feel sick. It's a beautiful game, and I enjoyed it a lot but my stomach (and my head) hate me so much right now.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TTP said:
Well, that, and also the fact that you tend to swing the camera much more frequently compared to traditional shooters due to the urge to spread out your splats as you go.

True, but I never had any problems once past the first chapter despite still splatting away like a crazy monkey!

Great game btw. Clever and inventive, up there with TGC's best work. Its not quite as good as Journey, but still a damn fine example of high-end experimental game design. Really don't understand why some people don't seem to be connecting with the themes/metaphors of the story - its a lot more coherent and meaningful than a certain other title that I could mention (!)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just finished it (and there played the first two chapters as my daughter was watching me play the second half and wanted to see the start)

loved it. Beautifully presented, some of the best graphics I've seen on the PS3 - pure and crisp with no aliasing. Sometimes it was just nice to sit and look at the image on the screen as though it was a bulshot, knowing I could move the camera and the image would respond :)

Also loved the overall playfulness of the game, and the relative freedom it gives you - eg sprouting vines all over the place. And the looking back and seeing your vines spread out into the distance is really cool.

Ending fried my brain a bit though.

So that's uncharted swan and papa&yo finished, on to journey

How do you know how many storybook pages there are? Most of the levels seem fairly linear with the odd short branch off here and there, so they shouldn't be hard to miss. If I missed any I bet they're in the bloody dark forest

Endo Punk

My mind has sort of settled down. Seriously I had fierce motion sickness while playing it, and when the slow downs occured with the vine growth it went into overdrive o_0

hank_tree

When I got passed the very first area in the game I fell through the ground and ended up under all the geometry etc. At first I though it was it was a cool twist and some new game mechanic.

It wasn't.

KalBalboa

Banned
I just finished earlier tonight and have to say: this is probably the best "artsy" PSN game I've played.

I should probably sleep on it, but that's how I feel. It belongs in the same category as Journey, Limbo, Flower, and the like. The story, the control, the inventiveness, the presentation, the gameplay, the atmosphere, the sheer polish... the voice acting... I felt Portal influences too, particular in the game's "third act."

It's a must-buy.

When I got passed the very first area in the game I fell through the ground and ended up under all the geometry etc. At first I though it was it was a cool twist and some new game mechanic.

It wasn't.
I would have died if it was in the whole game... I started getting sick real quick.

Anyway.. speaking of the first part.

Where the fuck is the 3rd balloon in the first part!? The radar thing is like full... and I can't see the balloon anywhere.
I'm looking for the one
that is near the double stairs... the one on the left is broken, I jump across the hippo statue... and I can't find it.

I would have died if it was in the whole game... I started getting sick real quick.

Anyway.. speaking of the first part.

Where the fuck is the 3rd balloon in the first part!? The radar thing is like full... and I can't see the balloon anywhere.
I'm looking for the one
that is near the double stairs... the one on the left is broken, I jump across the hippo statue... and I can't find it.

The third balloon is
behind a door you can open underneath the left (broken) stairs, just left of the corner.

Fantastic experience! If you like games like Portal, Flower and Journey, this is a must play. Don't hesitate. Stop reading spoilers and just go play.

Sniper rifle think for rocketeer and spaceman aren't working. =[

EDIT:... that odd... this time I did it, and it flew... so high it stayed up there and never fell...

I just tried it out with the Sharpshooter attachment and it works fine. Even thought the trigger moves you forward and doesn't shoot, it's still a fun way to play through it a second time. I guess it would be appropriate with Sniper Rifle Mode too. Just wanted to pass this along!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I just tried it out with the Sharpshooter attachment and it works fine. Even thought the trigger moves you forward and doesn't shoot, it's still a fun way to play through it a second time. I guess it would be appropriate with Sniper Rifle Mode too. Just wanted to pass this along!

No. The Sniper Rifle Move controls are garbage. Think 10x worse than the original ADS in Resistance 3 (fixed reticule + huge deadzone = sluggish as hell)

I just completed The Unfinished Swan tonight and I thought it was excellent throughout. I didn't really mind that the game is a hodge podge of different visual design motifs and gameplay concepts. I didn't feel bored by any particular section of the game. The overall presentation of the game is top notch.

Sony have really been on a roll with PSN this year. I look forward to trying Papo and Yo next.

Is there any other games like this on the horizon?

wouwie

Can't wait to buy and play this game/experience wednesday. Hopefully it will be as rewarding and awesome to play as Journey (my GOTY). I didn't watch any media other than the very first footage so i have no clue what to expect in the other chapters.

I assume this isn't a game that you need to finish in one sitting to get the full experience (unlike Journey)?

No. The Sniper Rifle Move controls are garbage. Think 10x worse than the original ADS in Resistance 3 (fixed reticule + huge deadzone = sluggish as hell)

Yeah, I did not like that in R3 at all when using the Sharpshooter. But I haven't unlocked the Sniper Rifle in this yet, still have some more balloons to collect. It is fine with Killzone 3 though.

Melchiah

I just finished earlier tonight and have to say: this is probably the best "artsy" PSN game I've played.

I should probably sleep on it, but that's how I feel. It belongs in the same category as Journey, Limbo, Flower, and the like. The story, the control, the inventiveness, the presentation, the gameplay, the atmosphere, the sheer polish... the voice acting... I felt Portal influences too, particular in the game's "third act."

It's a must-buy.

I just finished the game, and agree with what was said above, although no "artsy" game has reached the heights of Journey for me. I loved the ending, and the variety of chapters and game mechanics, but I wasn't that fond of the Portal chapter.

What puts this and Journey far above Limbo for me, is the fact that these two were actually more entertaining than frustrating, unlike Limbo.

Definitely recommended.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I'm going to have to buy this. It's the first PS3 purchase in quite some time.

And since its Move integration is TTP-certified, I will use that to play it.

Melchiah

I'm really surprised about several people experiencing motion sickness when playing the game. Then again, perhaps I've just got a high tolerance for it, as I've never experienced it in any game. The beginning of the first chapter was a bit disorienting, but that's pretty much it.

Carl

Can't wait to buy and play this game/experience wednesday. Hopefully it will be as rewarding and awesome to play as Journey (my GOTY). I didn't watch any media other than the very first footage so i have no clue what to expect in the other chapters.

I assume this isn't a game that you need to finish in one sitting to get the full experience (unlike Journey)?

I don't really think you HAVE to complete it in one sitting, no. But seeing as it's not too long (some too 90 mins to complete it - i took my time and took around 2 and a half hours), you may as well.

Melchiah

I think it's better to experience it on one sitting, as a break will distance you from the game world and story, pretty much like putting a movie on hold would diminish its effect.

Carl

I think it's better to experience it on one sitting, as a break will distance you from the game world and story, pretty much like putting a movie on hold would diminish its effect.

Yup, pretty much. It's only a short game so it's not hard to do it in one sitting

GQman2121

Banned
Just finished in about 3 hours. I don't think I can recommend this game enough. It was nothing like what I was expecting. Once that first chapter ended, and the real visuals that make up the meat of the game kicked in, I was blown away. None of the media, that I'm aware of anyway, prepared me for that visual and audio presentation. Yeah, the frame rate isn't consistent the entire time, but I don't think it ever really hindered my enjoyment while playing. It's certainly jarring when it happens; however, it definitely didn't detract from what I was doing.

Anyway, this is certainly one of the years best and well worth the $15 to experience.

Thanks to a kind GAF member I was able to get one of those codes for a free month of Plus. I wanted it just so I could get this game a bit earlier, haha. Anyway, I finished the game a bit ago and it impressed me much more than I thought it would. Everything about it is beautiful and I think the length is perfect. Reminded me of Dear Esther in some ways.

Just finished it, went back and got all the balloons and then played the first area a number of times to get the Minimalist trophy. Awesome game.

And I loved the
Journey
cameo.

Gbraga

I can't believe I'm not playing this because of 70 cents :(

I'll have to wait until the PS Store gives me my 20 bucks back :/

Man

I just reached Chapter 2
Watchtower?
and not sure how to proceed.
Just saw the swan fly away and then I end up on a balcony and I'm stuck. Where to go? Tried to find interactive objects but seemingly none.
Anyone?

I just reached Chapter 2
Watchtower?
and not sure how to proceed.
Just saw the swan fly away and then I end up on a balcony and I'm stuck. Where to go? Tried to find interactive objects but seemingly none.
Anyone?

Jump over the balcony
?

Man

I assumed there had to be a jump functionality at first but I couldn't find a button for it. Thanks.
edit: This is the most newb I have sounded in ages.

Limbo
Noby Noby Boy

EDIT: What's .detuned like? I've never heard of it.

It's.....extremely difficult to describe actually!
I guess for all intents and purposes it's an interactive music visualiser.
The 'gameplay' as such revolves around you manipulating the main character and his environment whilst he sits in a chair listening to music.
You can speed up and slow down both the music and his movement (you can make him stand and run around the chair if you wish) and also manipulate parts of him. His head mainly. You can make it blow up like a balloon and pop it, etc.
You can probably already tell there's not much to it, but I did have fun with it whilst it lasted.

Footage

Top Bottom