• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
How well does this play with a controller? I have a wired 360 controller for the PC.

Also, WAIT TILL HE DROPS HIS FUCKING GUARD. Ahhhh.

Been playing with pad since the start for 18 hours. 100% right on the money. No issues from me and it makes the battle system fun to do. ;)

Tacitus_

Solo said:
What the hell, mang?

1. How do you manage that? Between work and other commitments, I'm lucky if I can game for more than 2-3 hours a day.
2. How do you enjoy that? Even when I do get a chance to play longer on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I find after about 5 hours max I have had enough and need to do something else.
3. Weren't you dead dog tired the last third of the game? Being half awake doesn't sound like the best way to experience this game?

1. Student and done with school for the year
2. Quite easily. I love marathoning stuff, be it games, movies or books.
3. A tad, yeah. Rushed trough the last act for that reason. Time to eat something and then go to sleep.

9bDj6.jpg

i know rite

Minsc

Gold Member
Tacitus_ said:
I just finished it. In a single sitting. 25 hours of badassery and cursing at getting stuck on a cobblestone while rolling. I did miss a lot of sidequests apparently so a full clear would be easily past 30h.

Now I'm going to contemplate what is wrong with me.
Maybe start a 2nd run next week to try to get a different ending.

What difficulty?

Also, I didn't try it, but I noticed you can hop between easy/medium/hard and insane?

I thought insane locked you in it when you picked it (perma-death and all)? Anyone try flipping to insane and then back to easy? Wonder what happens if you start a normal game, set it to insane, and die? Or start insane and then switch to normal and lose?

Audioboxer

zlatko said:
Been playing with pad since the start for 18 hours. 100% right on the money. No issues from me and it makes the battle system fun to do. ;)

delirium said:
360 pad is superior to KB/M in this game IMO. It looks like it was designed for it.

Awesome, I'll dig it out and plug it in.

Now, how do you win at dice, or better still, how do you play it well? I've lost about 10 times in a row now!!

Echoplx

Awesome, I'll dig it out and plug it in.

Now, how do you win at dice, or better still, how do you play it well? I've lost about 10 times in a row now!!

Also requesting Dice tips, I can arm wrestle and fight like a pro but dice just doesn't work for me.

Am I locked into finishing chapter one if I accept the reward for killing the kayran?

Also, I'm guessing I can craft cool shit with its remains but I don't have any diagrams. Where would I find one?

Tacitus_

Minsc said:
What difficulty?

Also, I didn't try it, but I noticed you can hop between easy/medium/hard and insane?

I thought insane locked you in it when you picked it (perma-death and all)? Anyone try flipping to insane and then back to easy? Wonder what happens if you start a normal game, set it to insane, and die? Or start insane and then switch to normal and lose?

Hard to maybe half of the first act, then normal besides that one fight which sucks fucking ass. Raged on it for over half an hour before finally relenting and dropping it to easy for the fight. Having one Incinerated debuff tick 1/3rd of your life fucking sucks with the amount of spell spamming he does.

gdt

I just got my credit from LA Niore, about to order the amazon retail disc version, but I'm reading some people are having problems with the files on the disc? Can someone elaborate?

Hixx

gdt5016 said:
I just got my credit from LA Niore, about to order the amazon retail disc version, but I'm reading some people are having problems with the files on the disc? Can someone elaborate?

Some old DVD drives are having problems reading the discs. Mine is a cheap one from about 3 years ago and I had no bother installing it.

gdt

HixxSAFC said:
Some old DVD drives are having problems reading the discs. Mine is a cheap one from about 3 years ago and I had no bother installing it.

Ahh, ok. This is a brand new laptop, so it should be good, then!

(Hopefully...)

Bought!

Will not play for awhile!

markot

Banned
sflufan said:
PC Gamer review: 89% with a very specific reason why it'a not a 90%+ game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/19/the-witcher-2-review/
Oh ffs, I hate this 100 crap.

Whats the difference between a 89 and a 90 game? between a 65 and 69?

Its so stupid >_<

Games should be ranked out of 5 stars like movies.

Same goes for everything. Unless you are a computer measuring the toxicity of a substance and what not, no human can discern to a 100 scale...

BeeDog

zlatko said:
Check last page I explained why that quest is dumb.

Thanks. Fucking hell, I hate those kinds of oversights, bah. I guess CD Projekt will have a ton of patching to do soon enough, just like with TW1. Thank God this game's a dozen times better than the first one though (which was a 7/10 game at best), I'll be able to oversee these things for my first playthrough.

Deadly said:

Yeah, I used one of the saves in the OP because I beat the game years ago, on a friend's comp (I used the Triss/Neutral save). I realized yesterday that it gave me $25,000. Kinda takes the challenge away when you can buy everything from every vendor. :-\

FGMPR

Banned
zlatko said:

Except for the inventory interface, which is a pain in the arse. The amount of times I've accidentally unequiped something (usually I'll notice Geralt is walking around barefoot in the next cut scene or whatever lol) is crazy. Other than that though, the pad feel nice.

fizzelopeguss said:

Hahaha, not only that but their review is probably the most blatant shilling I have witnessed in a handful of years.

Think ive found game ending bug. The the "Claws of Madness" quest the NPC I need to give a quest item to cannot be interacted with. Reloading from a previous point does not seem to work. The official forums are down and I cant seem to find a workaround/confirmation.

gdt5016 said:
Ahh, ok. This is a brand new laptop, so it should be good, then!

(Hopefully...)

Bought!

Will not play for awhile!

which laptop? mine is asus i7/460M I bought just recently. I couldnt install and ended up buying from gog.com

be warned, performance is likely to suck on a laptop. I am waiting for optimisation patch before I play this game. Got bad performance even on low settings, 720p. It LOOKS amazing but becomes a slideshow especially in combat.

Tacitus_

sflufan said:

I agree with the review. Never felt being able to change the map either. Maybe it'll require some deeper choices and the key decision, but
doing a key decision differently only got me a thank you from a character instead of a different outcome.

^not really a spoiler, but I know how anal-retentive some people are about spoilers here

FGMPR

Banned
BeeDog said:
Thanks. Fucking hell, I hate those kinds of oversights, bah. I guess CD Projekt will have a ton of patching to do soon enough, just like with TW1. Thank God this game's a dozen times better than the first one though (which was a 7/10 game at best), I'll be able to oversee these things for my first playthrough.

image.php

gdt

cleveridea said:
which laptop? mine is asus i7/460M I bought just recently. I couldnt install and ended up buying from gog.com

be warned, performance is likely to suck on a laptop. I am waiting for optimisation patch before I play this game. Got bad performance even on low settings, 720p. It LOOKS amazing but becomes a slideshow especially in combat.

HP DV6TQE. 6770.

I would like to at least medium-ish it, @ 30 fps, 720p. Would love to go a bit higher. Yeah, hopefully the new AMD drivers/CDPR patches help with performance.

But judging by your performance.....

Deadly

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, I used one of the saves in the OP because I beat the game years ago, on a friend's comp (I used the Triss/Neutral save). I realized yesterday that it gave me $25,000. Kinda takes the challenge away when you can buy everything from every vendor. :-\
Is money ported over as a transfer bonus or is it because the save had that amount banked? Considering you get an achievement for 10,000$, with 25,000$ you're probably safe for the whole game. Earning money is so freaking hard plus selling things earns you shit. You get like what 12 gold for the 2nd best sword you were holding? It's especially worst when you're a perfectionist and want to get everything. I've been abusing the arm wrestling glitch just so I can earn enough to buy everything.

Salaadin

Is there no buyback/sellback option for vendors? I lost a shitton of money last night by accidentally buying something I didnt need and then selling it back for much less than what i JUST got it for. Im going to have to be more careful.

Skimmed the PC Game review. It seems fair. I didnt beat the game yet (still on Ch 1) but his points line up with what others are saying. Hopefully this will just prompt CDPR to give us more free DLC and expansions.

Also just realized this thread has twice as many replies as the TW1 thread.

Tacitus_

Salaadin said:
Is there no buyback/sellback option for vendors? I lost a shitton of money last night by accidentally buying something I didnt need and then selling it back for much less than what i JUST got it for. Im going to have to be more careful.

Skimmed the PC Game review. It seems fair. I didnt beat the game yet (still on Ch 1) but his points line up with what others are saying. Hopefully this will just prompt CDPR to give us more free DLC and expansions.

Also just realized this thread has twice as many replies as the TW1 thread.

Well they promised free DLC and possibly paid expansions. Dunno how I'd feel about a proper ending in DLC/expansion. I mean, stories getting continued in an expansion isn't new, but usually you'd get proper closure in the main game.

sflufan said:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/08/dragon-age-2-review/
Wut you say?

RPS review was also hilarious, he spent a whole paragraph describing how the game is too hard after admitting he rushed through it as fast as possible and saying the alchemy system is useless.
He also didn't seem to like the original game much , so I guess him saying that this game isn't for the meek (in my own words, he didn't say that) is probably not too far off.

Salaadin said:
Different reviewers.

The guy who reviewed TW2 says this in the comments:
It's much better yet he would have scored da2 pretty much the same. (I enjoyed origins despite it's flaws and repetitiveness but da2 was awful in almost every single way)

Also calling the first game a 7/10- at the same time is a joke.

I'm not going fanboy over tw2 here, couldn't care less if they score it a 6, as long as they are consistent and have good arguments.

A difficult to learn (but satisfying once you get the hang of it) first game with a more complicated and less hold your hand story is apparently over their empty little heads.

A little taste of this guy's other well written gems.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/05/saturday-crapshoot-microshaft-winblows-98/

Other than that this guy has never been allowed to actually review anything it seems.
He just gets to write something about obscure old games noone ever heard of, busywork.

Again, I'm annoyed at what passes for gaming journalism in general, not the score some game I like gets.

matmanx1

For Troll Trouble, where is the freaking Troll? I've got the quest downloaded and installed and the village elder outside Flotsam has already asked me not to kill the Troll so I'm pretty sure it installed correctly. I just spent the last half hour running around the forest near the river but I seem to be blind or am just having some bad luck. Can someone spell it out for me? =)

Mr. Snrub said:

I used the same exact save as well. For whatever reason the game refused to recognize my original saves while the ones in the OP worked fine. I caught the insane amount of orens that save had and I didn't want to ruin the challenge so basically I just pretend $25,000 = $0 and refuse to go below it. It's tough and tempting as hell to bend the rules a little but I've stuck to it so far.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
SneakyStephan said:
It's much better yet he would have scored da2 pretty much the same. (I enjoyed origins despite it's flaws and repetitiveness but da2 was awful in almost every single way)

I'm not going fanboy over tw2 here, couldn't care less if they score it a 6, as long as they are consistent and have good arguments.

A difficult to learn (but satisfying once you get the hang of it) first game with a more complicated and less hold your hand story is apparently over their empty little heads.

Agreed. Especially when their main argument is "Well, the game was really great and everything, but I didn't like the ending."

....okay. But to knock it down a letter grade because the ending didn't go the way you would have written it? Not really a valid complaint IMO.

sflufan

Banned
SneakyStephan said:

Perhaps you should actually read his review before accusing him of having an "empty head".

zlatko

Banned
Who gives a shit what he'd give DA2 if he had reviewed it, who gives a shit what their site gave DA2, and are people getting upset over a god damn 89?

89 for the game is outstanding. If you had a test at school and the teacher gives you back an 89 how are you most likely to feel about that? I'd feel pretty pumped----as should CDProjekt.

Great score, great game.

Salaadin

matmanx1 said:
For Troll Trouble, where is the freaking Troll? I've got the quest downloaded and installed and the village elder outside Flotsam has already asked me not to kill the Troll so I'm pretty sure it installed correctly. I just spent the last half hour running around the forest near the river but I seem to be blind or am just having some bad luck. Can someone spell it out for me? =)

Double click the quest in your journal and make it the active quest to see the marker. Right next to the broken bridge is a ledge you can jump down and into the river. The troll is standing in the river under the broken part.

iNvid02

yeah i just started troll trouble but i ran into a problem
i have to find out about the she-troll but dunno where to go
says i should ask around but i dunno who to ask

sflufan

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Agreed. Especially when their main argument is "Well, the game was really great and everything, but I didn't like the ending."

....okay. But to knock it down a letter grade because the ending didn't go the way you would have written it? Not really a valid complaint IMO.

Yes, a weak, rushed ending is a valid complaint in a narrative-driven RPG.

And it's not a "letter grade". His score went from a 92 to an 89 or an A- to a B+.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'd like to pull the old " who cares what scores the game gets " but I'm neither naive nor stupid. I realize fully well that good publicity/reviews will shed more light on the game and subsequently increase the exposure/sales.

But I will say this :

It's one of the best games I've played in a long time and it transcends scores. Not saying it's perfect, but if we wanna compare apples to apples then tw2 is about a trillion times better than all the new games that are getting 85+ avg on metacritic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom