• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game Informer: 9.25

Dunno if this has been posted yet.
I play role-playing games to explore fantastic worlds, interact with interesting characters, and pull off bada*s stunts that only a world-saving hero could accomplish. The Witcher 2 obliterates all but the best competition on those criteria. As frustrating as it can be at times, this adventure's charms vastly outweigh its warts.

Same complaints. Combat can be janky. Didn't like crafting. Didn't like the end.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
ColonialRaptor said:
Deus Ex HR is my most anticipated game of this year...

It may or may not be better than Witcher 2 but I'm sure looking forward to it more than anything else possible... especially considering I've always felt like I wanted to cyborg'ise myself in the future I think it's the perfect game for me :)

First play through I am going for a choice of the most absolute balance for the way I play. So, when I have a level up I will choose at that point in time the best option from any of the tree's that I think is the best one at that time, doesn't matter which tree it's from.

I know that I'll end up being a jack of all trades and master of none, but I don't mind. I think because of that I'll be really enjoying using all of my powers (and I really enjoy using my complete arsenal in this game).

Would be so awesome if it was possible to continue leveling up enough to max all of everything.

I still can't believe that people have finished this game already. I've put in 20+ hours so far and I'm STILL in Chapter 1.

After spending the entire weekend finishing Witcher 1, I was eager to dive into the story. At some point, I just got sick of the side quests and wanted to dig into the story bits and started powering through that. I know I missed a lot, but now that the story is out of my way, I can sit back and sink my teeth into the rest of the game.

Gully State said:
Game Informer: 9.25

Dunno if this has been posted yet.

Same complaints. Combat can be janky. Didn't like crafting. Didn't like the end.

Great news. I've yet to see a major site review it too, so hopefully we'll see more.

Mudo

I'm still plowing my way through Witcher 1, trying to get done ASAP as the hype for the sequel has me chomping at the bit to play it. Any comparison on game length of 1 vs 2? It seems that the first game is going to take me around 50 hours (I'm trying to get as many quests done as possible before moving the main story along).

Also to those who have beaten it, which game did you like more overall?

Lime

Mudo said:
I'm still plowing my way through Witcher 1, trying to get done ASAP as the hype for the sequel has me chomping at the bit to play it. Any comparison on game length of 1 vs 2? It seems that the first game is going to take me around 50 hours (I'm trying to get as many quests done as possible before moving the main story along).

Also to those who have beaten it, which game did you like more overall?

Witcher 2. It's a bit more polished and the presentation is light years ahead (obviously).

Stahsky said:
Yeah, see this is why I'm withholding my judgement on the rush stuff. It felt it, sure, but with all this talk of crazy game changes depending on choices, I feel like to really get a proper idea on how this game is, I need to play it once more and explore more options.

Given the choices at the end of Chapter 1 my guess is Chapter 2 is 90% different. This is probably the largest change, that is extra 10-15 hours of gameplay. I'm replaying the game right now on Hard.

I just realised my decisions caused Saskia
to die a virgin.
Perhaps the greatest evil I commited.

I agree with the comments about the ending feeling abrupt. About Triss: I'm not sure how much the story can differ, but in my case I spent a lot of the game
endeavoring to get her back. Then you're finally reunited, the game basically ends.
That's definitely a strong contributor to the abrupt nature of the end.

A lot happens in the game overall though, enough to be satisfying and a lot of fun to play through. I enjoyed the game more than anything other in recent memory and I'll no doubt play it again and make different decisions. I'll also probably balance my spec a bit better. I went full signs and just as I'd started to work into swords the game ended.

Also god bless my GTX 580. It was sweating like hell for most of the game, but it was playable at 1440p and my heart goes out to those trying to run the game on much less.

Could do with a "Miscellaneous" section in the inventory, for all the junk that doesn't get listed under the other sections. Gets a bit annoying having to scroll through the complete inventory list to pick out and sell the stuff.

Also, being able to compare a vendors weapon and armour diagrams with your currently equipped gear while you've got the trade window open would be good.

Other than that, I really like the layout of the various menus, and am having no problem navigating them at all.

Salaadin

GI review is good. He makes some points that I can agree with even thought Im still on Act 1. It sounds like all the reviewers so far seem unanimous in their feelings - excellent game, great story, unbelieveable world...frustrating at times, funky inventory system, and lackluster ending.

Do I need to keep all of those crafting diagrams and recipes I am finding in order to make the item or is it like TW1 where the recipe gets stored in your journal and then you can get rid of it?

Darklord

Banned
Can you have sex with the whores? You could in the original, not that I care but when I went into the flotsam brothel I couldn't even speak to the girl in there and I downloaded it off GOG so I hope I didn't accidentally get the edited AUS version.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Darklord said:
Can you have sex with the whores? You could in the original, not that I care but when I went into the flotsam brothel I couldn't even speak to the girl in there and I downloaded it off GOG so I hope I didn't accidentally get the edited AUS version.
Yeah, they are a number of them you can speak to at the bottom of the floor. (i have the australian version).

On a another note I'm surprised they didn't cut out or censor any of the sex scenes (apart from that one quest) in australia, as these are easily some of the most explicit sex scenes I've seen in a video game lulz.

BeeDog

I'm really liking the game so far (still running around Flotsam, haven't progressed much), but I have a nagging feeling the game's very small in scope (e.g. the prologue areas, one city + surrounding areas for the entirety of chapter 1, the same with chapter 2, and God knows how small chapter 3 is). I truly, truly hope I'm wrong, but the small scope of the forest around Flotsam is disconcerting.

In general I think all the reviews so far have been well written. Although I wish the PC gamer score were higher, an 89 seems justified given his text. I'm looking forward to what Edge has to say.

Salaadin

For Mystic River quest
I think I see where I have to go to find the second shipwreck but the broken troll bridge isnt letting me get there. Does he eventually finish the bridge? Is there something I need to do to activate him finishing the bridge?

Thats all I want to know. Please dont tell me if my hunch is right or not. Im trying to avoid all spoilers

Echoplx

Salaadin said:
For Mystic River quest
I think I see where I have to go to find the second shipwreck but the broken troll bridge isnt letting me get there. Does he eventually finish the bridge? Is there something I need to do to activate him finishing the bridge?

Thats all I want to know. Please dont tell me if my hunch is right or not. Im trying to avoid all spoilers

Not sure if this will ruin it for you but if you don't read it you'll end up frustrated like me

It's a quest that spans multiple chapters, you can't finish it in Chapter 1

Salaadin

3chopl0x said:
Not sure if this will ruin it for you but if you don't read it you'll end up frustrated like me

It's a quest that spans multiple chapters, you can't finish it in Chapter 1

Ok that works, thanks.

What about the Endrega Fetus? I have 40 kajillion embyro but no fetus. I hope I didnt miss it somewhere.

Gully State said:
In general I think all the reviews so far have been well written. Although I wish the PC gamer score were higher, an 89 seems justified given his text. I'm looking forward to what Edge has to say.
The only thing that will bother me about the metacritic score is that Mass Effect has 94, which is ridiculously inflated.

Sethos

Banned
No offence but fuck some of the close quarters fighting, it's so cumbersome. You can't roll, you can't do shit and there's even a place in the prologue where I found a little balcony during a fight I could go up to with some stairs, then I wanted the enemies to follow and I'd just jump down from this 2ft balcony-thing with no obstacles whatsoever ... I couldn't, invisible wall, walled in by 3 enemies, dead. Inside combat is even worse because you have all that and the spastic camera that just can't follow the quick action.

God combat COULD have been good.

Blizzard said:
This happened to me for the English voiceovers and subtitles (which were apparently already included in my GoG download). Which version of the game do you have, where did you buy it from, what country do you live in? Can you close the launcher, run the patcher, rerun the launcher, double click on troll trouble, and post a screenshot of what it shows?

The thing is I have the US Steam version so I don't see a "patcher" probably does that through Steam.

It is still doing that this morning, endless download-verify-connect to server-redownload loop. Annoying.

Salaadin

Sethos said:
No offence but fuck some of the close quarters fighting, it's so cumbersome. You can't roll, you can't do shit and there's even a place in the prologue where I found a little balcony during a fight I could go up to with some stairs, then I wanted the enemies to follow and I'd just jump down from this 2ft balcony-thing with no obstacles whatsoever ... I couldn't, invisible wall, walled in by 3 enemies, dead. Inside combat is even worse because you have all that and the spastic camera that just can't follow the quick action.

I think throwing weapons and traps are your best bet in close quarters. I agree that its frustrating. They needed to do some extra tweaking there.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
hey a weird question, Im in Folstam or something and I get 29 to 34 FPS outdoors and 40 FPS indoors.

My question is , would I be able to play teh whole game at those fps or will I suffer in a heavy loaded part?

Echoplx

Salaadin said:
Ok that works, thanks.

What about the Endrega Fetus? I have 40 kajillion embyro but no fetus. I hope I didnt miss it somewhere.

I think Embryo and Fetus are the same thing, you must be missing the eye which you get while following the 'Assasins of Kings' main quest line.

Salaadin

3chopl0x said:
I think Embryo and Fetus are the same thing, you must be missing the eye which you get while following the 'Assasins of Kings' main quest line.

OOk so its just a naming issue? Great, thanks!

dgenx said:
hey a weird question, Im in Folstam or something and I get 29 to 34 FPS outdoors and 40 FPS indoors.

My question is , would I be able to play teh whole game at those fps or will I suffer in a heavy loaded part?

Should be doable if you dont mind it but I do notice that rainstorms drop FPS down a few.

RedSwirl

Lafiel said:
Yeah, they are a number of them you can speak to at the bottom of the floor. (i have the australian version).

On a another note I'm surprised they didn't cut out or censor any of the sex scenes (apart from that one quest) in australia, as these are easily some of the most explicit sex scenes I've seen in a video game lulz.

I think Australia's problem is more with violence than sex. America's ESRB is still the touchiest in the world when it comes to sex in games.

By the way, has anyone else discovered other ladies you can sex up? Any in Chapter 1 other than the brothel?

Sethos said:

The bolded is one of the few things that really annoyed me in the first game, and is annoying me in this one. I was relieved when I heard that CD Projekt Red were developing their own engine for this game because I assumed that retarded shit like not being able to step off a 1 foot high ledge onto the ground was some sort of limitation of the engine they used for the first one.

Imagine my surprise when I went to step off a pathway onto the ground for the first time in this game ,and found that I couldn't. I was pretty pissed off to be honest, and just shook my head in disbelief as I walked along the path and down the 2 steps to the ground. I actually said out loud to my monitor "You have got to be fucking kidding me! In 2011? Really?".

On a technical note, I'm guessing that there's a set limit to the height that Geralt can step from, rather than invisible walls, although the end result is much the same to us.

Sethos said:

Aard, knock someone back, roll/run out.

I never played Witcher 1 and I guess I missed the weight upgrade in Prologue. Is there like a Storage/Bank thing in the game and if so when is it accessible?

Oh, and when can I craft my Silver sword again?

raphier

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
I never played Witcher 1 and I guess I missed the weight upgrade in Prologue. Is there like a Storage/Bank thing in the game and if so when is it accessible?

no storage, chapter 1

epmode

cartoon_soldier said:
As far as I can tell, there's no external storage. Someone recently posted a link to a mod that allows you to carry as much as you want.

Salaadin

They really need a storage option. There are some quest items that you can actually lose early on and Id like to be able to store them away to prevent that. I had to reload a save yesterday when I realized I accidentally made a potion using my Troll Tongue.

Van Buren

cartoon_soldier said:

I think the limit stays fixed, but I'm only at the end of Chapter 1. There is a weightless inventory mod linked a page or two back if you're getting frustrated at the arbitrary limit. I just started using it and I can't think of going back.

For the silver sword, you need a pattern and silver ores. The ores are sold by the blacksmith, who restocks them everyday. You could also go to a nekker-infested cave without a silver sword and get the ores from there if you are incredibly brave.

Sethos

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Aard, knock someone back, roll/run out.

That doesn't work when you're in a 5 by 5 area with 3 enemies and the exits are blocked by invisible walls and locked doors until you kill these enemies and every time you do a simple roll, you just roll into the sword of another one of these enemies and every time you do an attack, he pulls off one of those long ass, drawn out attacks that leave you vulnerable for 1-2 seconds.

Hixx

cartoon_soldier said:
I don't have Silver Ore, guess time to look in every nook and corner.

The crafter I used to make mine had some Ore on him, check what the vendors sell before going hunting.

zlatko

Banned
30 hours into it and I just played 12 hours straight. I'm in chapter 2 and the decision at the end of chapter 1 for me was a hard one to make.

This game keeps delivering every time I play it.

Salaadin

cartoon_soldier said:
I don't have Silver Ore, guess time to look in every nook and corner.

Silver Ore can be found
in that nekker infested cave system right outside Flotsam near the docked boats. Its all the way in the back so get ready to fight your way there.

Van Buren

Sethos said:
That doesn't work when you're in a 5 by 5 area with 3 enemies and the exits are blocked by invisible walls and locked doors until you kill these enemies and every time you do a simple roll, you just roll into the sword of another one of these enemies and every time you do an attack, he pulls off one of those long ass, drawn out attacks that leave you vulnerable for 1-2 seconds.

The Prologue combat can be incredibly unforgiving due to having 0 invested talents, being able to block 2 shots at the most and being vulnerable to attacks from the sides. The enemies also come at you relentlessly, without giving any time to get familiar with their attack patterns. Resort to cheap tactics - bombs, traps and spells( especially Axii and Quen ).

Sethos

Banned
Reading that Eurogamer review, saw this on the side;

109159154.png

65 Quid?! That is so grossly overpriced =|

Echoplx

Van Buren said:
I think the limit stays fixed, but I'm only at the end of Chapter 1. There is a weightless inventory mod linked a page or two back if you're getting frustrated at the arbitrary limit. I just started using it and I can't think of going back.

For the silver sword, you need a pattern and silver ores. The ores are sold by the blacksmith, who restocks them everyday. You could also go to a nekker-infested cave without a silver sword and get the ores from there if you are incredibly brave.

Where is this mod? I can't seem to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom