• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeliard said:
Also this is what the manual says about finishers, for those who haven't read it (like me, till now, wuaha):

If you manage to stun an opponent, for example, by using the Aard Sign, you will be
able to perform an impressive finisher move, which will instantly kill him. To do so,
you only need to strike the stunned enemy. You’ll be able to finish your opponents
off that way if your chance of causing a critical effect, such as stunning, is high.

Yeah that's how I took out the Nilfgaardian ghost in the asylum. I was all prepped for a big fight but he went down like a sack of shit in about 5 seconds. I stood up after that and did the "Fuck Yeah Strut" around my room, sat back down, pointed at his corpse and said "That's what you get for fucking with a Witcher son".

Then I switched to walk mode and just strolled out of the building like a complete bad arse :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't seem to figure out combat in this game. If I try to hit a single enemy even more than once, all his friends will surround me and rape me. There is very little I can do against a group except kite them until I can fight one at a time. Is this the only thing I can do?

Luthos

Corky said:
gotta craft em, I think its like 3 cloth and some diamonddust, and thread
I'm pretty sure you can buy a few robust cloth straight from some merchants. Specifically the one in the town square, opposite the tavern entrance.

Halycon said:
I can't seem to figure out combat in this game. If I try to hit a single enemy even more than once, all his friends will surround me and rape me. There is very little I can do against a group except kite them until I can fight one at a time. Is this the only thing I can do?

Groups can be rough. Lay down Yrden traps to control some of them.

Also, Grapeshot bombs own against Nekkers. I tried them out once on a group just for fun, and took down all the weaker ones, and severely hurt the big ones.

putarorex

I bought this game through Steam in Japan. I am really digging the combat, story, and crafting, but I was wondering if my version is censored (wouldn't be surprised). I get the opening nude scene with Triss, but when I paid a whore in Flotsam I didn't even get a card like you would get in the first game. It is like nothing happened. I just lose my gold.

Where's my digital boobies? Do I have a censored version or does that happen with everyone?

Exuro

Halycon said:
Play defensively. Take out the weaker enemies first and try to keep Quen(shield) up in case you do get hit. You'll be running around a lot as the game is very position oriented. Attack when you can but if you think you'll get hit keep running around until something opens up. Axii can be pretty helpful against large groups as well. Mind control one enemy and you can get 2 out of the way while you try to take out the others.

putarorex said:
I bought this game through Steam in Japan. I am really digging the combat, story, and crafting, but I was wondering if my version is censored (wouldn't be surprised). I get the opening nude scene with Triss, but when I paid a whore in Flotsam I didn't even get a card like you would get in the first game. It is like nothing happened. I just lose my gold.

Where's my digital boobies? Do I have a censored version or does that happen with everyone?
The only censored version is the AU one but all that's changed is how a quest reward is handled. I didn't sex up anyone in Flotsam, but you should be getting digital boobies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Luthos said:
I'm pretty sure you can buy a few robust cloth straight from some merchants. Specifically the one in the town square, opposite the tavern entrance.

Oh I must've missed that, also what joy it was for me to gather all me mats needed for the Draug armor -> whops new chapter -> better armors available -> no problem I'll just save up some money and now that come to think of it I recall a quest journal entry about an armor in loc muinne maybe I should loo.... -> whoops game ends, credits roll.

I think I had mats and orens enough to create dragon scale armors for an entire army.

Halycon said:

Dancing stars are you friend, they'll torch everything in their path to cinder.

Corky said:
Oh I must've missed that, also what joy it was for me to gather all me mats needed for the Draug armor -> whops new chapter -> better armors available -> no problem I'll just save up some money and now that come to think of it I recall a quest journal entry about an armor in loc muinne maybe I should loo.... -> whoops game ends, credits roll.

For me it was: Draug armor looks great, no problem, I will go kill him and go back for the recipe --> whops you cannot sucker, camp is closed

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Castor Krieg said:
For me it was: Draug armor looks great, no problem, I will go kill him and go back for the recipe --> whops you cannot sucker, camp is closed

Yeah that aswell :(, the thing was that I thought no problem I'll just get it in the next chapter I have all the mats anyways. And we all now what happened in the next chapter Z_z

Exuro

Corky said:
Chapter 3 was just too short. Everything in the end felt rushed and the numbers of armors in chapter 3 itself(There were at least 3) as well as weapons was way too high in ratio to the chapter length. It made me feel like I was in for another long chapter but 3 hours later the game is finished. They can repair some of the damage if they add a bunch of dlc side quests to extend the third chapter.

Speaking of chapter 3 side quests,
is there an issue with the Gargoyle contract? I found two of the magical sign puzzles and completed them, but up in philipa's second floor I found what appeared to be the third one with the glowing red chest but I didn't see any magical marks like the others. Was this a bug or for something else? If something else, what was it for?

Peff

Heh, there's a weightless inventory mod already.

Also, WTF is up with registration? I couldn't use the old account a couple of days ago so I waited until they transferred them to a new server. Since yesterday I've been trying to log in (apparently they're there given that it no longer says the user name is incorrect) and also create a new account but it won't move from step two. A prompt comes up with no text but a button with "accept" and nothing happens.

Ryuuga

Banned
What's the deal with ubersampling in this game? What specs are required to get decent frames using this option?

Edit: Nevermind I just read the tweaking thread.

Has anyone had an issue in Vergen where none of the notice board quests appear in the journal? I can see the harpy contract but none of the others.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
cj_iwakura said:
That had to have been the toughest prologue in any game, ever.

Also:

RmAs1.gif

Wow, Poland.

It would be funny, if the actual scene is, a guy dodging the sword strike and then squirting sauce on his face in response.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
putarorex said:

You did it wrong. There is a sex scene with boobs and all.

Arozay

Exuro said:
is there an issue with the Gargoyle contract? I found two of the magical sign puzzles and completed them, but up in philipa's second floor I found what appeared to be the third one with the glowing red chest but I didn't see any magical marks like the others. Was this a bug or for something else? If something else, what was it for?
Don't remember any of them being a 2nd floor. One left from the entrance, two in the right half. Gargoyles out the front of all three (although you don't have to fight one pack of them). Sometimes the runes would glitch and be faded while doing the puzzle though.

BeeDog

Alright, I hope someone can help. I accidentally started downloading the "English Subtitles and Text" in the launcher, but now the launcher is repeating the "Error writing file. Retrying in 10 seconds." message continuously. Is there a way to "clear the cache" of the launcher so as to fix this crap?

Is there an easier way to find the various nests for contracts in Chapter 1? Getting tired of stumbling around the forest and not finding the little buggers.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Sir Garbageman said:
Is there an easier way to find the various nests for contracts in Chapter 1? Getting tired of stumbling around the forest and not finding the little buggers.

Are you using your medallion sense?

Also hint about nests:

The Nekkar nests are usually surrounded by blood and bones

Lime

Exuro said:
Chapter 3 was just too short. Everything in the end felt rushed and the numbers of armors in chapter 3 itself(There were at least 3) as well as weapons was way too high in ratio to the chapter length. It made me feel like I was in for another long chapter but 3 hours later the game is finished. They can repair some of the damage if they add a bunch of dlc side quests to extend the third chapter.

That's related to
the main quest. You will open the chest if you choose to free Philippa.

The third Gargoyle puzzle is next to the amphitheatre.

Autofokus

Peff said:
Heh, there's a weightless inventory mod already.

Also, WTF is up with registration? I couldn't use the old account a couple of days ago so I waited until they transferred them to a new server. Since yesterday I've been trying to log in (apparently they're there given that it no longer says the user name is incorrect) and also create a new account but it won't move from step two. A prompt comes up with no text but a button with "accept" and nothing happens.
Source? I'm searching for a .dzip extractor to mod a little bit myself.

sflufan

Banned
Corky said:
Yeah that aswell :(, the thing was that I thought no problem I'll just get it in the next chapter I have all the mats anyways. And we all now what happened in the next chapter Z_z

You'll able to use it in The Witcher 2: Episode 1!

Arozay

Tempted to start a new game siding with Squirtle this time, I wanna see how different Chapter 2 is. Either that or play through Witcher 1 again... need my fix.

sflufan

Banned
Zaro said:
Tempted to start a new game siding with Squirtle this time, I wanna see how different Chapter 2 is. Either that or play through Witcher 1 again... need my fix.

From what I read, TOTALLY different!

epmode

Peff said:
In the absence of a real storage solution, I think I'm going to go with this.

I don't like selling stuff since buying the mats back gets very expensive. I don't want to just leave loot lying around either because all the glowing loot drops make it much harder for me to remember if I've been there before.

sflufan said:
From what I read, TOTALLY different!

Yup, I thought so, which is why I'm replaying it right now on Hard. Does anyone else have their armor enhancements disappear when loading the game? Raven's armor lost two of mine.

Van Buren

epmode said:

I don't like selling stuff since buying the mats back gets very expensive. I don't want to just leave loot lying around either because all the glowing loot drops make it much harder for me to remember if I've been there before.

I'm going to grab it too for a couple of reasons - on Hard I'm spending hours gathering reagents and crafting a huge store of potions, traps and bombs. The absence of storage makes carrying items for future use problematic. It also works well with the gamepad which only loots everything, and not selectively like the KB/mouse.

FGMPR

Banned
epmode said:

The clunky as shit menu navigation almost demands this mod.

Can't have everything I suppose, but there are still some odd little eastern European game making traits that I always kind of figured were just jank from the low budgets, but TW2 still has a reasonable amount of them, which is a little surprising given how amazing the rest of the game is.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Beat the game. Around Chapter 3, I lost my patience and just wanted to get to the juicy story bits. I'm going to replay the shit out of this game, though. The end, although quite epic, felt a touch rushed in some parts. That was probably it's biggest weakness. I can also see why people would be upset over it and how it concluded. Without giving anything away, they really just sort of threw every last plot piece in a bucket and ended the game afterwards. It felt pretty silly. Didn't feel like a proper ending.

Still, this was probably one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in gaming. Easily a contender for game of the year for myself. But I'm not really excited for many other games aside from Skyrim and a couple of others, so we'll see how that goes.

Here's to some great DLC and expansions in the future!

Also: This game looks SO FUCKING GOOD MAN

Van Buren

FGMPR said:
The clunky as shit menu navigation almost demands this mod.

Can't have everything I suppose, but there are still some odd little eastern European game making traits that I always kind of figured were just jank from the low budgets, but TW2 still has a reasonable amount of them, which is a little surprising given how amazing the rest of the game is.

Are you playing with a gamepad ? I switch to a KB/mouse when using the inventory, and it seems responsive to me. I do miss a couple of things from the first game's UI - the ability to sort items on command, the ability to read a book on the trade screen and the presence of tooltips giving more information such as status effects, whether I already know a particular formula a vendor is selling, and so on.

FGMPR

Banned
Van Buren said:
Are you playing with a gamepad ? I switch to a KB/mouse when using the inventory, and it seems responsive to me. I do miss a couple of things from the first game's UI - the ability to sort items on command, the ability to read a book on the trade screen and the presence of tooltips giving more information such as status effects, whether I already know a particular formula a vendor is selling, and so on.

Yeah I'm using the pad. It's just not very clear where your even highlighted, so I keep on accidentally unequipping my armour/boots and just little things like that. Perhaps it has something to do with my colourblindness.

FGMPR said:
Yeah I'm using the pad. It's just not very clear where your even highlighted, so I keep on accidentally unequipping my armour/boots and just little things like that. Perhaps it has something to do with my colourblindness.
Nah its just that it defaults to your equipped items instead of the inventory every time you open it up. I keep making that mistake as well.

Facism

Man hate to give up that swank Kayran armour, but something better came along, stats-wise. 3 minutes later, that new armour was obsolete, too :( Hate selling these quality pieces of shit so i have the inventory space :/

Gonna abuse the fuck outta that zero weight mod. I guess CDP didn't budget for a fucking storage system or level-based equip burden increases.

Quality game otherwise, liking the extra process to doing the creature contracts.

Van Buren

Well, I've just come across the most difficult choice in the Witcher series -

Keep the tattoo, causing your companions to snicker, or remove it ?

syoaran

Stahsky said:
Still, this was probably one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in gaming. Easily a contender for game of the year for myself. But I'm not really excited for many other games aside from Skyrim and a couple of others, so we'll see how that goes.

Here's to some great DLC and expansions in the future!

I tend you agree with you, but I'm hoping that Eidos Montreal manages to pull tour de force and makes Deus EX 3 that game of 2011.

Witcher 2 has the potential of being a game of forever if the DLC ends up rounding the story towards the end better (as in the DLC carries on after the ending, rather than adds sidequests)

Stahsky

syoaran said:
I tend you agree with you, but I'm hoping that Eidos Montreal manages to pull tour de force and makes Deus EX 3 that game of 2011.

Witcher 2 has the potential of being a game of forever if the DLC ends up rounding the story towards the end better (as in the DLC carries on after the ending, rather than adds sidequests)

Honestly, I haven't kept up too much with Deux EX 3. And for reasons unknown, I can't think of a recent game Eidos Montreal has made that was notable. Could you or someone else enlighten me?

But of the few videos I've seen, I'm still pretty excited to see how it fares.

Facism

Vendors restock their crafting materials every 24 hours, so if you need a quantity of somethign like robust cloth, buy everything a particular vendor has, meditate for a whole day, buy more.

syoaran

Stahsky said:
Honestly, I haven't kept up too much with Deux EX 3. And for reasons unknown, I can't think of a recent game Eidos Montreal has made that was notable. Could you or someone else enlighten me?

But of the few videos I've seen, I'm still pretty excited to see how it fares.

Honestly I have no idea bout E-M's past work, but what we have seen the game is coming together nicely - and Square Enix are giving the company the time it needs to polish the game. I'm not saying it will become a contender, I just hope that it will.

I'd quite happily give Witcher 2 game of the year in my mind if anything after Chapter2 hadn't been rushed. I felt the game needed at least two more chapters to balance itself out.

FGMPR

Banned
syoaran said:
Honestly I have no idea bout E-M's past work, but what we have seen the game is coming together nicely - and Square Enix are giving the company the time it needs to polish the game. I'm not saying it will become a contender, I just hope that it will.

I'd quite happily give Witcher 2 game of the year in my mind if anything after Chapter2 hadn't been rushed. I felt the game needed at least two more chapters to balance itself out.

Would you give up the gigantic splits in the story to have your extra 2 chapters?

Stahsky

FGMPR said:
Would you give up the gigantic splits in the story to have your extra 2 chapters?

Yeah, see this is why I'm withholding my judgement on the rush stuff. It felt it, sure, but with all this talk of crazy game changes depending on choices, I feel like to really get a proper idea on how this game is, I need to play it once more and explore more options.

Also, what did everyone do as far as talents? I put them pretty much all in swords, but I think of my second play through, I'm doing a mix of magic and alch and seeing how that treats me.

Deus Ex HR is my most anticipated game of this year...

It may or may not be better than Witcher 2 but I'm sure looking forward to it more than anything else possible... especially considering I've always felt like I wanted to cyborg'ise myself in the future I think it's the perfect game for me :)

Stahsky said:
Yeah, see this is why I'm withholding my judgement on the rush stuff. It felt it, sure, but with all this talk of crazy game changes depending on choices, I feel like to really get a proper idea on how this game is, I need to play it once more and explore more options.

Also, what did everyone do as far as talents? I put them pretty much all in swords, but I think of my second play through, I'm doing a mix of magic and alch and seeing how that treats me.

First play through I am going for a choice of the most absolute balance for the way I play. So, when I have a level up I will choose at that point in time the best option from any of the tree's that I think is the best one at that time, doesn't matter which tree it's from.

I know that I'll end up being a jack of all trades and master of none, but I don't mind. I think because of that I'll be really enjoying using all of my powers (and I really enjoy using my complete arsenal in this game).

Would be so awesome if it was possible to continue leveling up enough to max all of everything.

I still can't believe that people have finished this game already. I've put in 20+ hours so far and I'm STILL in Chapter 1.

syoaran

FGMPR said:

I presume your talking about the different decisions in chapter 1 = different chapter 2 layout.

Of course. Having lots of varying optional content is great, but it should never come at the cost of the overall narrative.

Coldsnap

Troll Touble Question:
Quest hit a point where I want to help the troll but whenever I go down to him he attacks me. Can I go back in town and get him Vodka or something?

FGMPR

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Troll Touble Question:
Quest hit a point where I want to help the troll but whenever I go down to him he attacks me. Can I go back in town and get him Vodka or something?

That fight isn't "to the death"

iNvid02

Coldsnap said:
Troll Touble Question:

when you first talk to him you have to attack him, when his health gets to about halfway he gives up. you then have the options to help him or kill him
if you help him you have to go find something, i didnt know where to go but its located in one of the houses in lobinden, a merchant has it hung on his wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom