• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Riposte said:
I've bought the Riposte skill, but I have no idea how to actually use it. Riposte doesn't know how to Riposte. Sorry for the repost.

Riposte reposting on riposting, the end is nigh. Here's what the manual says:

After getting the Riposte skill, you will be able to effectively impressively counter
enemy attacks. You begin the counterattack with your block up (holding the E key)
– when an opponent will try to land a blow on you, the icon on his body will turn into
a sword icon for a moment, signifying the best opportunity to counterattack. At this
point you should press LMB and Geralt will make a dodge and a dynamic riposte.

You guys should read it. Pretty much every bit of info you need you'll find between the in-game journal and the manual.

IZZO

Neo Member
IZZO said:
I'm stuck after the hard boss fight in chapter 1 ( you know the one I'm talking about )
I need to follow the blood trail to find Cedric but all I found was 2 dead bodies one inside flotsam and the other one in the forest
Anyone?

Gunpriest

Neo Member
I started playing Witcher 2 with a system of E8400 overclocked @ 3,6 GHz and a 8800 GTS. It sucked. Even at 720p and most settings off or low, the performance was not really good and the game looked like a XBox game. Since i had this graphics card like 3-4 years it was ok for my spend 300 euros on a GTX 570 OC, which i expect to hold out as long as the GTS.

Having more power, the autodetection still told me that my system is low end. Ignoring it, i switched to Ultra, deactivated Ubersampling and now i have about 35 FPS average @ 1280p :D

It looks fantastic and it plays noticable smoother than before. Prior to updating my graphics card i got raped. I died like a dozen times at the ballista fight on hard, switched to normal, died a couple times more. I restarted the game on normal with the new card and now i am the one who is doing the raping. With the better performance i seem to be able to dodge easier and time my attacks better.

Now i just need to get the new cpu fan and htpc case. The cpu is getting way to hot now (distance to TJ Max was down to 19° C while playing o_O) and my case has been annoying my quite some time.

anyone ever use the lock on feature? I found it pretty useless, focusing on 1 enemies only is a sure recipe to get surrounded, also, it's much better (and cool looking) to switch enemies every 1 or 2 hits during combos. similar to Batman combat, Geralt's animation as he switch target, spinning, rolling, backstab animation as he cycle through enemies is a sight to see, and it flows really really well. maybe it's also because I'm already level up enough, but I got into 4-5 nekker fight and and it went by really fast, I think higher combo string give higher damage or something (although there's no combo counter so it's hard to tell)

Animator

Callibretto said:
anyone ever use the lock on feature? I found it pretty useless, focusing on 1 enemies only is a sure recipe to get surrounded, also, it's much better (and cool looking) to switch enemies every 1 or 2 hits during combos. similar to Batman combat, Geralt's animation as he switch target, spinning, rolling, backstab animation as he cycle through enemies is a sight to see, and it flows really really well. maybe it's also because I'm already level up enough, but I got into 4-5 nekker fight and and it went by really fast, I think higher combo string give higher damage or something (although there's no combo counter so it's hard to tell)

I use it all the time. It is super useful to make sure all the hits you want to land on an enemy lands on that enemy and noone else. Lock on is super simple to turn on/and off with the controller so I just turn it on mid combo and turn it off when my combo is over.

Zeliard

Callibretto said:

Also switching between light and strong attacks keeps your momentum going while swinging and increases the damage you dish out.

Animator said:
I use it all the time. It is super useful to make sure all the hits you want to land on an enemy lands on that enemy and noone else. Lock on is super simple to turn on/and off with the controller so I just turn it on mid combo and turn it off when my combo is over.

Yeah I changed the bind for locking on to middle mouse button and I tend to switch in and out depending on the situation.

Animator said:

oh well, I use keyboard and mouse and toggling alt button for every enemies whenever I want to switch target is cumbersome for me, it's easier to just rotate the camera with mouse and select which enemies to hit that way.

edit: is there ways to cycle target during lock on?

BeeDog

MickeyKnox said:
First playthrough finished.

This.

Fucking.

Game.

Man.

This fucking game. I bought it 3 times, and it was totally worth it.

So the ending isn't a major fucking disappointment, as some say?

BeeDog said:
So the ending isn't a major fucking disappointment, as some say?
I wasn't disappointed by it, questions were answered goals were met, new and bigger things were set up, felt like the second book in a fantasy series ending.

Zeliard

Callibretto said:
oh well, I use keyboard and mouse and toggling alt button for every enemies whenever I want to switch target is cumbersome for me, it's easier to just rotate the camera with mouse and select which enemies to hit that way.

It can be useful to lock on if you're trying to hit a specific enemy with something without risking changing target. Not just with sword swings, but also certain Signs, daggers, etc. Or if you're up against two relatively tougher enemies like wraiths, and you want to keep targeted on just one to kill them first.

One of my favorite moves to pull with a lock-on is a backwards roll followed by hitting forward + attack, which makes Geralt then do a front roll followed by a thrust. I use that to set up combos. But generally as far as swordplay I roll around and then hit the direction key towards the enemy + attack after the roll, and Geralt will smoothly transition into an attack.

This type of tactic becomes even more effective as you increase the rolling distance.

God damn it, I probably spent around 1000 oren all up buying the equipment to make the Kayran armor. Then, as soon as I start the next chapter I see the Dragon Scale armor for sale which shits on it from a great height.

I would have had enough money if I didn't bother with that ploughing armor.

cj_iwakura

That had to have been the toughest prologue in any game, ever.

Also:

RmAs1.gif

Wow, Poland.

hteng

Banned
ok im a complete noob, how the hell do I access the equipment screen so i can equipment my steel and silver sword ?

Autofokus

hteng said:
ok im a complete noob, how the hell do I access the equipment screen so i can equipment my steel and silver sword ?
Eh? "I" for Inventory, or if you using a gamepad: Start -> Inventory

azxza

MickeyKnox said:
I wasn't disappointed by it, questions were answered goals were met, new and bigger things were set up, felt like the second book in a fantasy series ending.

Hey, MickeyKnox,
I can't play the game until next week but i'm dying to know if Yennefer and/or Ciri appear in the game. I don't mean only in flashbacks but fully fleshed characters like Triss or Dandelion or other important NPCs. Don't be too specific. I don't want to spoil myself too much. Thanks.

cj_iwakura

I almost feel bad that the game manages to run on this 8400. Like I'm doing it a disservice.
(Is there a way to get screencaps? Print Screen didn't work.)

Exuro

MickeyKnox said:
My issue was that said set up things weren't set up or presented well enough. It felt like the game just got cut. I had an empty feeling when the credits rolled, only for it to be even worse when
a cutscene shows up after credits that ended up being absolutely nothing. :(
Going to replay it with different choices to see how the alternate path is. Suppose to be drastically different in chapter 2. Also saw a cutscene in one of the launch trailers that I didn't experience so hopefully that shows up.

Dmax3901

So I just stared Chapter 2 and some of the sounds suddenly aren't playing. Footsteps and dialogue work but spells and weapons are making sounds in the cutscenes.

Anyone else have this?

FGMPR

Banned
MickeyKnox said:

This was exactly the analogy that I was hoping to hear. I hope I end up agreeing with it.

Also, does anyone know how to lock on with the pad?

Arozay

Just beat it.

End spoilers:
Went to save Triss, didn't kill Sile (accident), killed dragon, didn't kill Lethos. My choices were all over the place. Yeah I'd have to say that my epilogue was an anti-climax... just walks off.

My only complaints are:

-Chapter 3 was barely a chapter, and the game ended too early even with sidequests
-Weight limit and lack of storage hurt crafting
-Mutagens were handled poorly
-Drinking potions through the meditate screen was annoying (should have just confined alchemy to there).
-Medallion use should have been a toggled vision state or something (or item highlighting separate to that)
-Journal/inventory and the handling of the menu's was a downgrade from the first

But I hope they can pump out a sequel (or stand-alone expansion, etc) faster with the same engine.

JoeBoy101

Just did the Hungover quest in Chapter 1 and
waking up with the huge-titted tattoo on your neck was simply incredible. Also since you play the rest of the game with it.

HeadlessRoland said:
Who said it was a pro? I said the game is one of the most difficult RPG's I can recall. You disagreed while not really offering anything to substantiate said disagreement. And now you do so once again even further from the core topic. Not really sure what you are attempting to accomplish but if its a conversation you are horrible at it.

Your observation about Witcher 2's difficulty being "system cheating" is entirely inaccurate as well. Its not the "groups are a systems dat does not work!" because the game has multiple variations and tactics to address such a problem. The difficulty in Witcher is not the route of DA2 of just breaking the game. Its more difficult because the enemies drastically increase in capability between levels. You can be killed EASILY by any small group of enemies I have so far encountered. You must in fact employ specialized strategy or you will die nearly instantly. You can be insta gibbed by most mobs on "hard". They do not even cheat to do it.

Witcher 2 is a very difficult RPG, period. Strange equivocation and inane responses need not apply. Or if you feel the need to respond in such a fashion at least provide an example.

I'd... sort of answer you, but luckily I was out last night and catching up with the thread I've seen the kind of insanity you've spouted at other members. Really, calm down. We like the game, there's no need to cry.

BeeDog

JoeBoy101 said:
Just did the Hungover quest in Chapter 1 and
waking up with the huge-titted tattoo on your neck was simply incredible. Also since you play the rest of the game with it.

How do you start this quest?

Anyone had this? I started on Hard, and cannot add skill points. I couldn't on lvl 2, so I thought maybe lvl 3 will fixed it, but nothing. Everything is greyed out.

Luthos

Zeliard said:
Riposte reposting on riposting, the end is nigh. Here's what the manual says:

After getting the Riposte skill, you will be able to effectively impressively counter
enemy attacks. You begin the counterattack with your block up (holding the E key)
– when an opponent will try to land a blow on you, the icon on his body will turn into
a sword icon for a moment, signifying the best opportunity to counterattack. At this
point you should press LMB and Geralt will make a dodge and a dynamic riposte.

You guys should read it. Pretty much every bit of info you need you'll find between the in-game journal and the manual.
I had trouble using it at first. But Riposte is pretty sweet once you get the hang of it.

Kyaw

Did anyone find the fight against
Letho annoyingly hard on Normal?

I used potions and everything and still kept dying so i just changed the difficulty to easy and it was way too easy. :/
Most of the time it was just the animations being too slow and unresponsive.

CDPR needs to play-test difficulties better.

Alastor

FGMPR said:
3.1/10

Is it that bad?

I've seen it in theater, that movie was my first exposure to The Witcher at all, and I liked it. But compared to the books, or any other TW product... yeah, it's bad.

Edit: read the user review on IMDB, pretty spot-on.

Kyaw said:

It was rather easy for me, he only has two skills, plus his swords attacks are easy to dodge. Just go in with potions and you should be fine.

Kyaw

Maybe it was just me being too hasty and trying to get a hit without thinking...

I will do the whole game on hard on the second playthrough more than likely.

Luthos

Kyaw said:

I used potions and everything and still kept dying so i just changed the difficulty to easy and it was way too easy. :/

I was having trouble, and died a lot. But it was really easy when I tried this strategy: go straight after him as soon as the cut-scene ends. Attack some to get him staggered, then lay a Yrden trap at his feet, hopefully he gets stun-trapped without his own shield up. Then I just lay into him with strong attacks, and lay down more Yrden traps at his feet whenever the other was about to where off. With my Tawny Owl up, I didn't seem to run out of Vigor.

Arozay

Kyaw said:

Just have Quen up to eat his spells/bombs so you can stay on him, run when he has Quen on, and open him after parrying with a light attack (or Aard) followed by heavy attacks until he parrys (immediately hold E when he blocks) and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom