• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

AEREC said:
I wouldnt go that far...neither game is really an RPG...they are just action/adventure games with stats and more story than normal.

People give a lot of praise for the Witcher making choices count, but really it's all self contained in one game...it's not like anything you did in the Wticher 1 really matters in Witcher 2, unlike Mass Effect 1 choices going into Mass Effect 2...and possibly the choices made in those games look to effect ME3 even more.

But the choices you made in ME1 DIDN'T matter in ME2. What a load of dev bullshit that was.

zoku88

Domcorleone said:
Ohhh I see, makes sense now. I wanted to be a jack of all trades, but it makes sense I suppose. I will def play the game again as it seems I missed a lot of options (I chose Iorveth).

btw how many of you guys let
Letho go?
I did.
as a witcher, there was really no reason to kill him. When it comes to politics, witchers are neutral. The only reason Geralt was blamed was because he was doing a very un Witcher thing at the time.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
zoku88 said:
as a witcher, there was really no reason to kill him. When it comes to politics, witchers are neutral. The only reason Geralt was blamed was because he was doing a very un Witcher thing at the time.

yeah,
but Letho broke this unwritten rule, he chose sides, he got involved in politics. So you should not have problems with killing him.

AEREC

subversus said:
Oh, I soooo don't agree with you... It's like the opposite of true.

Thats fine Im sure a lot of people wont. I still enjoy games where you make big choices but the stories end up having less of an impact for me if they have multiple endings.

It's kind of like if Star Wars or Lord of the Rings had a different ending based on the watchers or readers preference.

subversus

AEREC said:
It's kind of like if Star Wars or Lord of the Rings had a different ending based on the watchers or readers preference.

oh, I'd totally choose a different ending for Star Wars if there was an option.

zoku88

subversus said:
yeah,
but Letho broke this unwritten rule, he chose sides, he got involved in politics. So you should not have problems with killing him.
but by killing him, I would also be involving myself in politics.

Complistic

zoku88 said:

Indeed.
Letho never intentionally involved Geralt in anything. He just wanted to be left alone. He even completely left Triss untouched. Geralt set out to clear his name, if you want to stay more neutral, and he did that even if he doesn't kill letho.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I
spared Lethos. It isn't a witcher's place to judge or punish. Plus, he killed a couple kings, big whoop. He was just doing what he was asked.

I killed him because I wanted something's ass to kick with my maxed out Geralt.

After a bit of consideration I couldn't think of a reason to kill him. Revenge for wasting your time? All things considered he didn't seem like such a bad guy and he did look after Geralt's main bitch as best he could. It isn't Geralt's place to judge people although that goes counter to anyone who let Henselt die.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AEREC said:
I guess it didnt come across in my post but the Witcher has some heavy game altering choices in both W1 and W2...I was just commenting on the choices being referenced from W1 to W2 were it just seems like most stuff in W1 is not mentioned or forgotten in W2 whereas ME2 makes better references to ME1.

Within the games by themselves, The Witcher series does make better use of the C&C system you mentioned.

This is a...weird way to judge them as role playing games. Mass Effect 2 might have made better referential use of the save import, but it hardly had any actual meaningful consiquence on the game's progression.

Besides, there's absolutely nothing in either Mass Effect game that comes close to Act 2 split in The Witcher 2.

On the subject of Letho:
He kidnapped my bitch. He dies.

subversus

zoku88 said:

yeah, I did it on playthrough when I was heavily involved in politics. I spared him when I wasn't. But I don't agree. He got involved in politics, he broke unwritten witcher's rules, who know what he will do to unbalance everything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Speaking of, was anybody else expecting
that rose to pop up at the end of the game, and wilt or bloom depending on whether or not you remained faithful to Triss?

Van Buren

EatChildren said:
This is a...weird way to judge them as role playing games. Mass Effect 2 might have made better referential use of the save import, but it hardly had any actual meaningful consiquence on the game's progression.

Besides, there's absolutely nothing in either Mass Effect game that comes close to Act 2 split in The Witcher 2.

On the subject of Letho:
He kidnapped my bitch. He dies.

To be honest, I cannot fault ME 2 for how it handled the save import. Realistically speaking, handling all the permutations in a robust manner seems far too daunting in scope. If the fault lies anywhere, it is with Bioware's marketing team in hyping that feature up far too much. That said, ME 3 is reported to handle previous choices in a significant manner, but I'm keeping my expectations low to avoid disappointment. The same goes for the Witcher 2 expansion or Witcher 3.

Speaking of expansions, I wouldn't mind an adventure where Roche and Iorveth traveled along with Geralt. The tension would be palpable.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Van Buren said:
Speaking of expansions, I wouldn't mind an adventure where Roche and Iorveth traveled along with Geralt. The tension would be palpable.

I smell a sitcom. Iorveth would be the super cool ladies man and Roche would be his bumbling, dumbass roomie. I want this now.

Solo

Snuggler said:
I smell a sitcom. Iorveth would be the super cool ladies man and Roche would be his bumbling, dumbass roomie. I want this now.

You've got it backwards, my friend. Roche ain't bumbling, and Iorverth ain't cool.

Solo said:
Not complete until you bed every woman in the game!
Compared to how much ass Geralt got in the first game he's practically abstinent this time around.

I mean, he had sex with a witch while a whole village was out to kill her in front of a freaking child

W1 Geralt > W2

Kyaw

EatChildren said:
Speaking of, was anybody else expecting
that rose to pop up at the end of the game, and wilt or bloom depending on whether or not you remained faithful to Triss?

I don't remember what happens at the end game with the rose.

I thought you use it to cure Saskia? Fuck, i can't remember shit. :(

subversus

toasty_T said:
I mean, he had sex with a witch while a whole village was out to kill her in front of a freaking child

He didn't know what was happening until they came out from the dungeon.

EatChildren

Kyaw said:

Ah yes. Was it the same one though? I dont recall.

I must do another playthrough when 2.0 hits.

Red

Kyaw said:

No,
it wasn't needed for the cure IIRC, but Sile (it's Sile, right?) uses it to take control of her.

Kyaw

Crunched said:
No,
it wasn't needed for the cure IIRC, but Sile (it's Sile, right?) uses it to take control of her.

So if i let Sile Phillipa use it, there isn't a rose at the end game anymore?

fuuuck, i can't remember anything T_T

EatChildren

Kyaw said:
So if i let Sile Phillipa use it, there isn't a rose at the end game anymore?

fuuuck, i can't remember anything T_T

The rose never shows up at the end of the game.

Kyaw

EatChildren said:
The rose never shows up at the end of the game.

oh, you made it sound like it did. :p

Crunched said:
The succubus quest glitched out on me and registered as failed as soon as I picked it up, so I never had a chance to hit that particular bulletpoint.

Sucks to be you... :(

most awesome quest/bang ever.

Red

toasty_T said:
One thing I do remember is that it's possible to bang
an elf and a succubus if you sided with Iorveth or Ves if you chose Roche.

:D
The succubus quest glitched out on me and registered as failed as soon as I picked it up, so I never had a chance to hit that particular bulletpoint.

Crunched said:
You have to do it before you show Phillipa Triss' bandanna, or the quest fails.

Red

darkpaladinmfc said:
You have to do it before you show Phillipa Triss' bandanna, or the quest fails.
I don't remember if I'd done this when I picked up the quest, but I know that as soon as I got it, the quest description said
Iorveth had left Vergen and all my leads were cold,
when in actuality he was still there and everything should have been lined up fine for me to complete it.

The mission in question is with flickering heart, right?

I got a dilemma gentlemen.

Do I succumb to my weak will power and play The Witcher 2 now, or do I wait for the big September update that hopefully brings new content and performance gains then play the game only after beating the first game ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gibon3z said:
I got a dilemma gentlemen.

Do I succumb to my weak will power and play The Witcher 2 now, or do I wait for the big September update that hopefully brings new content and performance gains then play the game only after beating the first game ?

If waiting means you'll complete the first game, then wait. TW1 deserves to be played, and TW2's plotlines and characters won't have the same impact if you're not already familiar with them.

Oni Jazar

I think I'm stuck with a bug. I'm on chapter 1 and I need to get into the cave beneath the elven ruins but it won't let me get through the opening. Before I got the quest the path was blocked by a brick wall but now it's open and I can see through it but there's no prompt to jump down and actually go in!

Chinner

Banned
Not sure how far I am through chapter 1, but spoilers :
Lethos fight is kinda unbalanced. Kinda is putting it kindly as well.

Chinner said:

You need to get better weapons. That is the only way I could make it past that part.

Chinner

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
You need to get better weapons. That is the only way I could make it past that part.
Got past it
Starting attacking him immediately and used traps constantly so he couldn't cast the shield. Actually kind of a shame because if that fight was balanced it'd be pretty awesome

Vaporak

Chinner said:

And by that you mean very balanced right, considering
you're both witchers so it's practically a mirror matchup.

RedSwirl

In regards to Letho and Geralt, I always played both games with the view that witchers act neutral to politics - except in areas that concern the the fate of the witcher schools.

At the end of the first Witcher game,
yeah, Geralt took a contract on a human's life for Foltest, but that was a person aligned with a plot that threatened the witchers directly. I also dueled and killed Berengar because he betrayed the order and contributed to the attack. Geralt probably hung around because of the first kingslayer who came after Foltest at the end of TW1 (being interested in the assassin being a witcher and all).

At the end of TW2, Letho tells you that he did the assassinations for
the Nilfgaardian Emperor because he promised to help start another witcher school.

AEREC

I hope they have an expansion for this that takes you back to Khaer Moren...In Witcher 1 I had quests that mentioned going back and talking to Vesimer and I thought I would be able to by the end of the first witcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom